Notices
Like Tree1343Likes

Pt Canaveral- weekly reports and roll calls

Old 08-04-2018, 12:25 PM
  #1961  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Space Coast - FL
Posts: 928
Default

Originally Posted by MidFloridaFishing View Post
Three Cudas today. One at 180 and two more at 120. Weeds were broken up with the wind. Ramp was maybe half full.
Thx for the report. Next weekend will be 'must see tv' at the ramp.
Hail Yeah likes this.
LagoonAkin is online now  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:33 AM
  #1962  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 925
Default

Originally Posted by LagoonAkin View Post
Thx for the report. Next weekend will be 'must see tv' at the ramp.
My plan is to put in on Friday after work and leave the boat in until Late Sunday.
95wellcraft is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 AM
  #1963  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sebastian Fl.
Posts: 398
Default

It's a shame our "fearless" govt. can't figure out an acceptable , fair way that we could catch red snapper without overfishing the species, and have fun doing it.
These 3 day open seasons are ridiculous. We're at the mercy of weather, work and family schedules, overcrowded ramp parking, and armadas of boats gathering at their " favorite spots.
Sort of takes the fun out of it for many of us.
One would think, that a species that matures at 2 years of age, and with an average life span of 50+ years, govt. could come up with a plan that would allow recreational fishing at least 45 days per year.
Okay to limit possession quantities, and impose size limits, but to restrict us to a fixed six day season. That's ridiculous. And yes, I understand the Gulf Coast has a 40 day season.
The fact is, our govt. has become so power; over ruling and "rules" oriented, they've lost sight of their purpose: "protecting the lives and liberties of their constituents", I could go on and on , as many others can, about " life long politicians "
and people making rules on matters they know nothing about. We've reached a point in our societies, specifically our recreational fishing community , that enough is enough. It's pathetic that we need on on-line realtime rule book to refer to when offshore and trying to determine
whether or not a fish is legal to keep. ( see app. "fish rules"). Species, size, quantity , month of year, state waters or federal, county, number of people onboard, all play into the formula to determine " legal harvest",
I speak from experience when I state the need for an on-line real time rule book. The state printed "regs" you find in bait shops are useless, in fact, sometimes misleading. ( as stated to me by an FWC officier as he wrote me a summons , resulting in a $925. fine sept. 30th 2016. Long story, but does everyone know the difference between state and fed water size limits "today" ? Can everyone distinguish (without a close up colored photo) between Spanish Mackerel and a juvenile kingfish ? Don't say yes too quickly.
I'm long over the unhappy ending of a fun day of fishing offshore that day in 2016, but I am strongly opposed to the way our govt. is "protecting OUR species and OUR rights",
Oh well, I did not log onto THT today to rant and rave, My reason for posting was triggered by reading the above posts re: regarding our upcoming red snapper season.

If anyone has an idea or knows of meetings that we/I should be attending in order to try and change the thought process of the authorities, I'd be happy to engage in and be part of a voice on behalf of east coast fl recreational fisherman. Respectfully Capt. Billy/Right Stuff
chad.sfds likes this.
dolphin44 is offline  
Old 08-05-2018, 05:58 PM
  #1964  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: titusville fl
Posts: 575
Default

Captain billy i hear you and i for one say the samething,what we need really is someone to be voted in to a state office that is a rec fisherman or a charter captain to fight of us.So i am ready to vote come this November for captain billy for governor.
But really yes that is what we need is someone who knows what it is like fishing of our shores and knows what the state makes from us fishing with all the boat fees and everything else.
so who is with me on voting for capt billy.
dogslife is online now  
Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM
  #1965  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: titusville fl
Posts: 575
Default

Wellcraft i have almost the same plan for both weekends as long as the weather lets me.
i will be on ch68 call name the dog house.
dogslife is online now  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:28 AM
  #1966  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 3,064
Default

Saturday 8/4 report (NOT MANY PEOPLE WERE AT THE BOAT RAMP- SIGN 1)

Well the seas report was a little off to say the least. It was a solid 3' to 4' w/ an occasional 5' and 6' mixed in for pleasure. Steady wind chop between the sets. I was amazed at the number of bay boats trying to make it out in the seas, pretty sure they had to turn around. We were only able to go about 15 mph due to the conditions.

Around 12 miles out or so weeds started to show and they were scattered ALL over the place. Also there was a bunch of fly'n fish in all sizes. Around 15 miles we started to troll just lures due to the weeds being so scattered. We continued to head east looking for relief as we were trolling. The weeds appearance was good light tan and not the older looking dark brown patches.

Around 160 ft we decided to pick up and motor further out to a spot where I've generally caught something. At 220 ft put the lures back out along with a single bally as the weeds were lighter. Well that was quickly wrong as the weeds came in stronger. Patches as large as houses scattered ALL over the place, flyers too. Continued to troll out to 300 ft with no bites with the exception of the nuisance weed "fish". Back at 280 ft there were huge weed patches that we decided to just drift in- cutting squid chum and drifting baits. Had something come thru and cut off all the hooks with leaders from 25lb to 100lb mono. Remoras decided to take up residence behind boat.

With the wind pushing from the east and current heading north the weeds were drifting NW. The wind would just push us off the patches too quickly.

At 11:45am, with tail between our legs we decided to head back to the dock. Also didn't want to catch any possible T-storm popping up. We made it back in from about 33 miles out in an hour.

Heading out we averaged- 15 mph
Heading in we averaged- 35 miles

Didn't see or talk to 1 boat out past 140 ft while trolling. Did see a boat trolling east when we were coming in around 180 ft felt like saying turn back the weeds get worse.

Around 100 ft there was 6 boats drifting or trolling around I think Pelican Flats in the weeds.
DaVapors likes this.
J Lightning is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 AM
  #1967  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: palm bay, fl
Posts: 271
Default

Thanks for the report. Those were the conditions that I was expecting watching the forecast flop between 2-3 and 3-4 with 10-15 winds out of the east. Watching the buoy late in the week it was showing a constant 3'+ with an average wave period of about 4 seconds.
DaVapors likes this.
clamc is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:58 PM
  #1968  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Titusville Fl
Posts: 219
Default

Anybody know anything about needing some special license for fishing certain areas off PC? I saw someone on Facebook saying something about a saltwater special activities license? I looked it up on myfwc.com. Nothing that I could find made mention of PC area. Not sure if he's messing around or just clueless?
Was thinking about running out deep after getting snapper looking for tiles or grouper? Anybody seen any dolphin or blackfin? Not sure if it's worth bringing the trolling gear.
floridacrakr is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:19 PM
  #1969  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,932
Default

Originally Posted by dolphin44 View Post
It's a shame our "fearless" govt. can't figure out an acceptable , fair way that we could catch red snapper without overfishing the species, and have fun doing it.
These 3 day open seasons are ridiculous. We're at the mercy of weather, work and family schedules, overcrowded ramp parking, and armadas of boats gathering at their " favorite spots.
Sort of takes the fun out of it for many of us.
One would think, that a species that matures at 2 years of age, and with an average life span of 50+ years, govt. could come up with a plan that would allow recreational fishing at least 45 days per year.
Okay to limit possession quantities, and impose size limits, but to restrict us to a fixed six day season. That's ridiculous. And yes, I understand the Gulf Coast has a 40 day season.
The fact is, our govt. has become so power; over ruling and "rules" oriented, they've lost sight of their purpose: "protecting the lives and liberties of their constituents", I could go on and on , as many others can, about " life long politicians "
and people making rules on matters they know nothing about. We've reached a point in our societies, specifically our recreational fishing community , that enough is enough. It's pathetic that we need on on-line realtime rule book to refer to when offshore and trying to determine
whether or not a fish is legal to keep. ( see app. "fish rules"). Species, size, quantity , month of year, state waters or federal, county, number of people onboard, all play into the formula to determine " legal harvest",
I speak from experience when I state the need for an on-line real time rule book. The state printed "regs" you find in bait shops are useless, in fact, sometimes misleading. ( as stated to me by an FWC officier as he wrote me a summons , resulting in a $925. fine sept. 30th 2016. Long story, but does everyone know the difference between state and fed water size limits "today" ? Can everyone distinguish (without a close up colored photo) between Spanish Mackerel and a juvenile kingfish ? Don't say yes too quickly.
I'm long over the unhappy ending of a fun day of fishing offshore that day in 2016, but I am strongly opposed to the way our govt. is "protecting OUR species and OUR rights",
Oh well, I did not log onto THT today to rant and rave, My reason for posting was triggered by reading the above posts re: regarding our upcoming red snapper season.

If anyone has an idea or knows of meetings that we/I should be attending in order to try and change the thought process of the authorities, I'd be happy to engage in and be part of a voice on behalf of east coast fl recreational fisherman. Respectfully Capt. Billy/Right Stuff
If we canít get a few months of open season, Iíd rather have a tag system thatís good for 6 mos so everyone isnít on the water at the same time
Riptide31 is online now  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:22 PM
  #1970  
pje
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando , Fl
Posts: 2,340
Default

Originally Posted by floridacrakr View Post
Anybody know anything about needing some special license for fishing certain areas off PC? I saw someone on Facebook saying something about a saltwater special activities license? I looked it up on myfwc.com. Nothing that I could find made mention of PC area. Not sure if he's messing around or just clueless?
Was thinking about running out deep after getting snapper looking for tiles or grouper? Anybody seen any dolphin or blackfin? Not sure if it's worth bringing the trolling gear.
Nothing that I know of , sounds like bad info
pje is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 PM
  #1971  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 24
Default

The tag system is the best idea I have heard recently. Stops the mad rush BS and lets us get out and fish when we are able.
Devodud is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
  #1972  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 925
Default

Originally Posted by floridacrakr View Post
Anybody know anything about needing some special license for fishing certain areas off PC? I saw someone on Facebook saying something about a saltwater special activities license? I looked it up on myfwc.com. Nothing that I could find made mention of PC area. Not sure if he's messing around or just clueless?
Was thinking about running out deep after getting snapper looking for tiles or grouper? Anybody seen any dolphin or blackfin? Not sure if it's worth bringing the trolling gear.
No bottom fishing in the outline area.

95wellcraft is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM
  #1973  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 925
Default

After a little more looking around, it looks like the area from Sebastain to Fort Pierce is closed.

95wellcraft is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 PM
  #1974  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 409
Default Saturday

How soon will the ramp fill up on Saturday? Looking for opinions.
TheSweetDee is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 07:53 PM
  #1975  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 582
Default

Within two to three hours
Gethooked is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 PM
  #1976  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: titusville fl
Posts: 575
Default

I am hoping to find a parking spot with in 1 mile of the boat ramp Saturday morning around 6am
dogslife is online now  
Old 08-08-2018, 03:12 AM
  #1977  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 3,064
Default

I don't think it will be as bad as you guys state this week, but I could be wrong.

FloridaCracker- had a friend go out on Sunday from Ponce and found nothing on the troll. If the weeds are still like they were from last weekend I would leave the trolling stuff home. Spoke to another boat at the ramp on Saturday and they struck out to trolling between 100 ft and 140 ft.
J Lightning is offline  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:24 AM
  #1978  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: titusville fl
Posts: 575
Default

I have not had time to check it out yet but has anyone seen what the weather is going to be out there out of pc this weeknd.
dogslife is online now  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:38 AM
  #1979  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: titusville fl
Posts: 575
Default

Ok I just looked and noaa says it will be on sat 1-2 light winds and sunday 2 s at 10kts.what are the other sites telling us.
dogslife is online now  
Old 08-08-2018, 05:52 AM
  #1980  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando / Port Canaveral FL
Posts: 1,168
Default

Windfinder shows the same. Going to get a real early start. I imagine it'll be a parking lot at the usual spots and that the boat ramp will fill up very quickly.
krocks is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread