Notices
Like Tree1343Likes

Pt Canaveral- weekly reports and roll calls

Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 AM
  #2141  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 668
Default

FYI guys the red tide is here. I was at the inlet last nite and started coughing as soon as i got out of my car. Its moved up this morning to Bevard, I could "taste" it but wasnt coughing like last nite.

Billy - if you go tomorrow I would be curious how far out you can/cant smell/feel the red tide. I was considering diving Thursday. Glad to see you're back and looking to focus on some fishing.
chad.sfds is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 12:15 PM
  #2142  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: titusville fl
Posts: 575
Default

chad they were talking about it this morning on the news saying its causing a fish kill at SI and they where testing the water to make sure thats it.I hope it goes away quickly here.
dogslife is online now  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:37 PM
  #2143  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Indialantic, FL
Posts: 29
Default

Is the red tide affecting offshore fishing out Brevard?
crashtcs is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM
  #2144  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 18
Default Offshore red tide

Originally Posted by crashtcs View Post
Is the red tide affecting offshore fishing out Brevard?
Did not see any signs of red tide running in or out of port Saturday( no floating fish). Caught 6 mahi- 3 were gaffers so the offshore fishing seems on par for this time of the year.
lyman24 and LagoonAkin like this.
Bman1 is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 11:41 AM
  #2145  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by Bman1 View Post

Did not see any signs of red tide running in or out of port Saturday( no floating fish). Caught 6 mahi- 3 were gaffers so the offshore fishing seems on par for this time of the year.
Hey Bman1, how were the sea conditions saturday? For some reason I thought I was looking at a forcast that called for 15 knots winds and 3-4 ' seas?
JonathanFlorida is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:30 PM
  #2146  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by JonathanFlorida View Post
Hey Bman1, how were the sea conditions saturday? For some reason I thought I was looking at a forcast that called for 15 knots winds and 3-4 ' seas?
Ride out was a little hilly- saw 4 and 5 foot but pretty clean swells so we didn’t get beat up....much- ride in was beautiful. The forecast I saw said 3-5 but winds staying below 10 knots and dropping below 5 late in the day. Was pretty spot on.
Bman1 is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:36 PM
  #2147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by Bman1 View Post

Ride out was a little hilly- saw 4 and 5 foot but pretty clean swells so we didn’t get beat up....much- ride in was beautiful. The forecast I saw said 3-5 but winds staying below 10 knots and dropping below 5 late in the day. Was pretty spot on.
Thank you. I very much missed the wind part, I thought it was 15 plus and that cost me a trip out. I don't know why I thought the wind was up as well...I need better weather forecast. Thanks for sharing, glad you made it out and had some good fishing!
JonathanFlorida is offline  
Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 PM
  #2148  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by JonathanFlorida View Post
Thank you. I very much missed the wind part, I thought it was 15 plus and that cost me a trip out. I don't know why I thought the wind was up as well...I need better weather forecast. Thanks for sharing, glad you made it out and had some good fishing!
I saw the same thing in the middle of the week , but they walked it back by Friday. I look at fish weather, noaa, and buoy weather. I even look at the two palms camera so I can actually see the surf and the weather buoy. A little weather OCD.
Bman1 is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 04:48 AM
  #2149  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Indialantic, FL
Posts: 29
Default

Originally Posted by Bman1 View Post

I saw the same thing in the middle of the week , but they walked it back by Friday. I look at fish weather, noaa, and buoy weather. I even look at the two palms camera so I can actually see the surf and the weather buoy. A little weather OCD.
The surf reports are good tools -- I use SurfGuru, Swellinfo (both free), and NOAA marine forecast and buoys for fishing and surfing. I wanted to go out Saturday, and at 6 am my only crew mate cancelled, so I went surfing instead.
crashtcs is offline  
Old 10-26-2018, 08:04 PM
  #2150  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Indialantic, FL
Posts: 29
Default

I'm heading out of SI Saturday 10/27 for some trolling. Hopefully won't be too bad out there. If so, we'll try some of the nearshore reefs. I'm in a single engine Dusky FAC, no name on it yet, but I use Dusky Rose.
crashtcs is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 01:16 PM
  #2151  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 153
Default

Originally Posted by crashtcs View Post
I'm heading out of SI Saturday 10/27 for some trolling. Hopefully won't be too bad out there. If so, we'll try some of the nearshore reefs. I'm in a single engine Dusky FAC, no name on it yet, but I use Dusky Rose.
Did anyone get out this past weekend?
JonathanFlorida is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 05:04 PM
  #2152  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Space Coast - FL
Posts: 928
Default

Lyman and I went out of PC today. One small keeper mahi and one false, with a few short strikes - slow day. Worked 130-300'. Stream was rough with the NW wind. Few weeds, but nothing formed with all the wind we've been having. 150-200' wasn't too bad, just never found any patterns. Lines in from 830-1230.
LagoonAkin is online now  
Old 10-29-2018, 05:21 PM
  #2153  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 218
Default

Same for me out of Sebastian today. I left before light n had lines in at 630am. No pelagics got in the box for me. After 6 or so hours of the wind kickin my ass I can in to bottom fish for dinner.
cheetah chrome is offline  
Old 10-29-2018, 07:31 PM
  #2154  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Indialantic, FL
Posts: 29
Default

Worse for me. I went out of SI Saturday, trolled from 80 to 140, and got nothing. One seasick person on board so couldn't stop on the way in until the Inlet. Tried around the inlet with live bait and still nothing. I think I'm done trying when it is hard West wind. I've tried a few times, and always fail. It was interesting how few boats were out that day -- guess I should have stayed home too.
crashtcs is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 02:55 AM
  #2155  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 153
Default

Thanks for the updates Crashtcs, cheetah, lagoonakin, etc...I've been stuck onshore last several days doing maintenance etc, hoping for some good weather between now and the end of the year. Last year we didn't get out much in nov and dec
JonathanFlorida is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 06:56 AM
  #2156  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 218
Default

Here’s a Q for the canaveral folks: what is the etiquette for fishing a shrimp boat? I came across one out of Sebastian on the way in (~165’) that was neither netting nor processing. It was basically pointed stern into the wind and under very little power (not anchored up). I assume the crew was down for a nap. I didn’t approach and gave them lots of room but was curious as to how people fish them? Hail the crew on VHF n ask permission?
Danny33486 likes this.
cheetah chrome is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 AM
  #2157  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 3,064
Default

Cheetah- fish them, but don't get in front.
J Lightning is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:03 PM
  #2158  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 12
Default 10-29 Canaveral Bight

Monday report -- playing hookey with two grandsons -- super flat near the beach and the mullet run is sort of on. Winds from the west so no chop near shore, and the 1.6 ft 9 sec forecast was dead on, might have been even nicer. First -- no sign of red tide, dead fish, etc. Beautify water, beautiful day. Kept the rods bent on Blues, some jacks -- no pomps, too soon. Kids got lots of practice for the pompano when they show up.
pruimtime is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:45 PM
  #2159  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,516
Default

Originally Posted by cheetah chrome View Post
Here’s a Q for the canaveral folks: what is the etiquette for fishing a shrimp boat? I came across one out of Sebastian on the way in (~165’) that was neither netting nor processing. It was basically pointed stern into the wind and under very little power (not anchored up). I assume the crew was down for a nap. I didn’t approach and gave them lots of room but was curious as to how people fish them? Hail the crew on VHF n ask permission?
We've fished them a few times but they were either processing or sleeping. They were not under power, so we just circled around them. A few came to the deck and motioned for us to come over but we just kept fishing. My boat-mates didn't want to end up like bi-catch sleeping at the bottom of the sea. I think next time I see them, I'll throw them some beers in trade for some fresh shrimp.

As always I think if you just keep your distance with any other fisherman they tolerate it.
lyman24 is offline  
Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM
  #2160  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,516
Default

Originally Posted by pruimtime View Post
Monday report -- playing hookey with two grandsons -- super flat near the beach and the mullet run is sort of on. Winds from the west so no chop near shore, and the 1.6 ft 9 sec forecast was dead on, might have been even nicer. First -- no sign of red tide, dead fish, etc. Beautify water, beautiful day. Kept the rods bent on Blues, some jacks -- no pomps, too soon. Kids got lots of practice for the pompano when they show up.
LaggonAkin and myself went out Monday 29th. It was nice in-shore, blowing pretty good the further you got offshore. The stream was stacked up but that's were we found the bait and weeds. Just couldn't hold it together in there so decided to come back and trolled 180' and caught a small one.
lyman24 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread