Notices
Like Tree240Likes

Port Everglades fishing thread....

Old 06-24-2019, 06:18 AM
  #2081  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,189
Default

Went out Saturday AM to troll, out to 850ft with nothing to show but a barracuda. Found plenty of good rips holding nice weedlines but no real signs of life aside from some flying fish.

Sunday we opted to just work the reefs just south of the port, and slowly sifted through grunt after grunt. Sometime in the afternoon the bite turned on a bit and the snapper started biting. Moved around to a few different spots where the bottom looked nice and finally one of the rods bent over. Hauled in a nice black grouper, and unfortunately a few undersized mutton snapper. The grouper made the weekend, really. Sounds like it was slow for everyone.

As a side note, I'm pretty much over the 15th street Cox ramp. There's only about 4-6 spots that fit my boat trailer, apparently back in parking is prohibited (can't think of any good reason as to why), and I keep getting ticketed for anything they can find. I may have been 1 inch over the total length line on Sunday (I don't think I was tbh) and got a $100 ticket for it. The fish grinder doesn't work so the filet tables are loaded with thousands of flies, I've got a new ding in my truck for each visit, and i'm paying $20-30 a day to park for all of that. Really frustrated.

Are there other ramps that are suited better? I only have a 23ft boat, crazy to me that the spots are so short there. The next closest ramp (Cooleys) looks to have a bridge that needs to open to get out to the port? I'm open to any and all suggestions.
krocks is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 AM
  #2082  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lighthouse Point
Posts: 5,124
Default

Originally Posted by krocks View Post
Went out Saturday AM to troll, out to 850ft with nothing to show but a barracuda. Found plenty of good rips holding nice weedlines but no real signs of life aside from some flying fish.

Sunday we opted to just work the reefs just south of the port, and slowly sifted through grunt after grunt. Sometime in the afternoon the bite turned on a bit and the snapper started biting. Moved around to a few different spots where the bottom looked nice and finally one of the rods bent over. Hauled in a nice black grouper, and unfortunately a few undersized mutton snapper. The grouper made the weekend, really. Sounds like it was slow for everyone.

As a side note, I'm pretty much over the 15th street Cox ramp. There's only about 4-6 spots that fit my boat trailer, apparently back in parking is prohibited (can't think of any good reason as to why), and I keep getting ticketed for anything they can find. I may have been 1 inch over the total length line on Sunday (I don't think I was tbh) and got a $100 ticket for it. The fish grinder doesn't work so the filet tables are loaded with thousands of flies, I've got a new ding in my truck for each visit, and i'm paying $20-30 a day to park for all of that. Really frustrated.

Are there other ramps that are suited better? I only have a 23ft boat, crazy to me that the spots are so short there. The next closest ramp (Cooleys) looks to have a bridge that needs to open to get out to the port? I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Head north to Pompano 14th St.
joe.giuliano is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:52 AM
  #2083  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by krocks View Post
Went out Saturday AM to troll, out to 850ft with nothing to show but a barracuda. Found plenty of good rips holding nice weedlines but no real signs of life aside from some flying fish.

Sunday we opted to just work the reefs just south of the port, and slowly sifted through grunt after grunt. Sometime in the afternoon the bite turned on a bit and the snapper started biting. Moved around to a few different spots where the bottom looked nice and finally one of the rods bent over. Hauled in a nice black grouper, and unfortunately a few undersized mutton snapper. The grouper made the weekend, really. Sounds like it was slow for everyone.

As a side note, I'm pretty much over the 15th street Cox ramp. There's only about 4-6 spots that fit my boat trailer, apparently back in parking is prohibited (can't think of any good reason as to why), and I keep getting ticketed for anything they can find. I may have been 1 inch over the total length line on Sunday (I don't think I was tbh) and got a $100 ticket for it. The fish grinder doesn't work so the filet tables are loaded with thousands of flies, I've got a new ding in my truck for each visit, and i'm paying $20-30 a day to park for all of that. Really frustrated.

Are there other ramps that are suited better? I only have a 23ft boat, crazy to me that the spots are so short there. The next closest ramp (Cooleys) looks to have a bridge that needs to open to get out to the port? I'm open to any and all suggestions.
John Lloyd park ramp
mjarv21 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 AM
  #2084  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,189
Default

Originally Posted by mjarv21 View Post
John Lloyd park ramp
I'm thinking this might be my best bet. It's too bad I already paid for 6 months of storage right next to the 15th street ramp. Fail.
krocks is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:11 AM
  #2085  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 31
Default

I live less than a mile from 15th st. and have been driving to Pompano 14th St (Alsdorf Park) for over 20 years.
dpdash likes this.
Fish_Stalker is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:25 AM
  #2086  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,189
Default

Originally Posted by Fish_Stalker View Post
I live less than a mile from 15th st. and have been driving to Pompano 14th St (Alsdorf Park) for over 20 years.
I'm really starting to understand why. With the money I'm paying in parking/tickets I might save money at a high and dry marina.
krocks is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM
  #2087  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 444
Default

Originally Posted by krocks View Post

Are there other ramps that are suited better? I only have a 23ft boat, crazy to me that the spots are so short there. The next closest ramp (Cooleys) looks to have a bridge that needs to open to get out to the port? I'm open to any and all suggestions.
Cooley's is fine, other than if you get stuck at the train bridge. With a 23ft boat, yes there are several bridges but all are high enough to fit under. George English is another option. That bridge is probably high enough for you. Otherwise Loyd or Pompano are better bets.
kbhoffmann is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 AM
  #2088  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,189
Default

Lloyd looks good except for it states that it opens at 8AM. That would be a problem if it is indeed the case.
krocks is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM
  #2089  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 31
Default

Originally Posted by krocks View Post
Lloyd looks good except for it states that it opens at 8AM. That would be a problem if it is indeed the case.
It also closes, so if you don't get back in time........

The reason I stopped using it back in '92
Fish_Stalker is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 AM
  #2090  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by krocks View Post
Lloyd looks good except for it states that it opens at 8AM. That would be a problem if it is indeed the case.
I haven't been out of it since last year but we were able to get out early then. May have changed but id give someone there a call to verify.
mjarv21 is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
  #2091  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,585
Default

The park might open at 8 but the ramps are open earlier. Iv known for sure iv left outta Lloyd a few times before the suns come up..
CheddarMan is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:09 PM
  #2092  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fla
Posts: 719
Default

Guys, pm me to join the Lauderdale Small Boat Club. We are located on the southwest corner of the Fort Lauderdale Airport. For about 150.00 a month you can keep your boat in :your" own slip. It makes life much easier than all the ramp sh%t. Plus we are a social club with lots of activities. I have had one THT member join and he is a happy camper. Let me know if you want more info.
deckape likes this.
doublhook is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:35 PM
  #2093  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 272
Default

harbor town has public ramps too. short trip to the inlet too. that's here I keep my boat.

downside... the no-see-ums are out of control at dawn and dusk.
TheYeti is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM
  #2094  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,189
Default

I think either Harbour Town or Lloyd will be where I try next. Both look to have much better parking situations. I appreciate all of the recommendations.
krocks is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 PM
  #2095  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: pompano beach, florida
Posts: 4,729
Default

George English at Sunrise and Bayview is deserted and a 15-20 min idle two PE
dpdash is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 PM
  #2096  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: on the road / Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 3,005
Default

Originally Posted by doublhook View Post
Guys, pm me to join the Lauderdale Small Boat Club. We are located on the southwest corner of the Fort Lauderdale Airport. For about 150.00 a month you can keep your boat in :your" own slip. It makes life much easier than all the ramp sh%t. Plus we are a social club with lots of activities. I have had one THT member join and he is a happy camper. Let me know if you want more info.
My dad was a member many years ago and I have been to many parties there. Your building was built with panels from my dads company. You had a member many years ago named Sparky and he worked with my dad. Came to him one day and told dad that his club needed a building for their clubhouse. Dad went into the factory and started to put a scracth on the panels in production. Told Sparky that he could get them cheap since they were damaged. Thats were your clubhouse came from. Look closely as the panels and you might still see the scracthes. . Great family and boating club.
JoseG likes this.
deckape is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 11:12 PM
  #2097  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 217
Default

Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
harbor town has public ramps too. short trip to the inlet too. that's here I keep my boat.

downside... the no-see-ums are out of control at dawn and dusk.
Agreed! Nice ramp with security and lots of space, but U are right about those bugs. I wear long sleeve shirt, pants, hat, and buff if I'm there at those times.
TheYeti likes this.
ProfessorO is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 AM
  #2098  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,585
Default

Originally Posted by doublhook View Post
Guys, pm me to join the Lauderdale Small Boat Club. We are located on the southwest corner of the Fort Lauderdale Airport. For about 150.00 a month you can keep your boat in :your" own slip. It makes life much easier than all the ramp sh%t. Plus we are a social club with lots of activities. I have had one THT member join and he is a happy camper. Let me know if you want more info.
That's one hell of a deal!
CheddarMan is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 04:53 AM
  #2099  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by doublhook View Post
Guys, pm me to join the Lauderdale Small Boat Club. We are located on the southwest corner of the Fort Lauderdale Airport. For about 150.00 a month you can keep your boat in :your" own slip. It makes life much easier than all the ramp sh%t. Plus we are a social club with lots of activities. I have had one THT member join and he is a happy camper. Let me know if you want more info.
do you do one week or one month slip rental/leases?
ptag is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 AM
  #2100  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fla
Posts: 719
Default

It's a club, not a marina. Look at the website when you can, Lauderdale Small Boat Club
doublhook is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread