Notices
Florida & Georgia
 Shur Hold Marine

Square grouper

Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ponce Inlet FLA
Posts: 169
Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Square grouper

Wow this guy found 68 pounds, any idea where in the keys this was?
https://www.fox13news.com/news/snork...f-florida-keys

Popular Reply

03-05-2021, 01:19 PM
mig888
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hollywood-Key Largo
Posts: 1,794
Received 243 Likes on 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
I always called marijuana bales square groupers ... what do you call a bale of cocaine? A Square Beluga?

Square Blowfish
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: FL.
Posts: 830
Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts
Default

There were 69 lbs but who would know but him and whoever lost it.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:30 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marathon, FL
Posts: 293
Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

It was cocaine. Just north of Channel 5 bridge.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:54 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 228
Received 85 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

I always called marijuana bales square groupers ... what do you call a bale of cocaine? A Square Beluga?
Likes:
Old 03-05-2021, 01:19 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hollywood-Key Largo
Posts: 1,794
Received 243 Likes on 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
I always called marijuana bales square groupers ... what do you call a bale of cocaine? A Square Beluga?

Square Blowfish
Old 03-05-2021, 02:34 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: South Florida
Posts: 147
Received 148 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

I've always been curious what to do in these situations after you contact the authorities, I guess the smart thing to do would be to leave it in the water and let the feds collect it all versus pulling it out of the water.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:49 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,921
Received 4,145 Likes on 2,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Trierarch View Post
I've always been curious what to do in these situations after you contact the authorities, I guess the smart thing to do would be to leave it in the water and let the feds collect it all versus pulling it out of the water.
The best thing to do is not even look at it. I trolled around the one I found and caught a shit load of fish until I made too tight of a turn and snagged the damn thing on the left long.
Realized what is was and Realized in minutes it was being watched from high above.

Keep on fishing and go about your merry way.
"I SEE NOTHING"

Advice from a guy that found a big brick of bugger sugar.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:57 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,012
Received 570 Likes on 308 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
The best thing to do is not even look at it. I trolled around the one I found and caught a shit load of fish until I made too tight of a turn and snagged the damn thing on the left long.
Realized what is was and Realized in minutes it was being watched from high above.

Keep on fishing and go about your merry way.
"I SEE NOTHING"

Advice from a guy that found a big brick of bugger sugar.

Im waiting for Paul Harvey to say and know (the rest of the story)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:07 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Marathon, FL
Posts: 293
Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
The best thing to do is not even look at it. I trolled around the one I found and caught a shit load of fish until I made too tight of a turn and snagged the damn thing on the left long.
Realized what is was and Realized in minutes it was being watched from high above.

Keep on fishing and go about your merry way.
"I SEE NOTHING"

Advice from a guy that found a big brick of bugger sugar.
This is definitely the best advice. I know someone that found one offshore about 15 years ago. He called it in and the CG asked him to stay with it until they got there.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:08 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 9,532
Received 1,782 Likes on 844 Posts
Default

Yea, had a buddy that found one years ago fishing out of Port Canaveral, called it in to the coasties , they told him to remain on scene until they arrive. They were told to keep it in sight and not to touch it.
Helicopter arrived first and circled for an hour or so until the orange RIB showed up. They pulled the bale out of the water, boarded his boat, searched through everything.
When they were done with they were instructed to head back to Port Canaveral where another group of coasties was standing by to perform a more thorough examination of the vessel and persons and fill out a mountain of paperwork!

Interesting day to say the least and a great tale to tell but he told them don't ever expect him to call one in again!

Old 03-05-2021, 03:15 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,921
Received 4,145 Likes on 2,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
Im waiting for Paul Harvey to say and know (the rest of the story)
It will be brief as I have shared it on here before.

It made the paper in the keys.

Snagged it and backed down to save a lure. I hooked it good. Powder obvious and I called it in to USCG. A falcon USCG jet dropped out of the sky right on top of us within 2 minutes like a frigate bird on a floating yellow tail. Then, a big cutter and 2 go fast custom boats appeared within minutes..

It was a known drop from a mother ship and they were watching and waiting for the pick up boat.

I was tempted but my retirement plan did not include a 8 by 12 cell at that time.

I have found a lot of crazy things over the years way off shore. I fish the hell out of it and keep going and I SEE NOTHING unless it's a raft with lives at stake. That find cost me 3 hours of sitting still 30 miles offshore of Marathon when I found the refugees.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:36 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 9,532
Received 1,782 Likes on 844 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
It will be brief as I have shared it on here before.

It made the paper in the keys.

Snagged it and backed down to save a lure. I hooked it good. Powder obvious and I called it in to USCG. A falcon USCG jet dropped out of the sky right on top of us within 2 minutes like a frigate bird on a floating yellow tail. Then, a big cutter and 2 go fast custom boats appeared within minutes..

It was a known drop from a mother ship and they were watching and waiting for the pick up boat.

I was tempted but my retirement plan did not include a 8 by 12 cell at that time.

I have found a lot of crazy things over the years way off shore. I fish the hell out of it and keep going and I SEE NOTHING unless it's a raft with lives at stake. That find cost me 3 hours of sitting still 30 miles offshore of Marathon when I found the refugees.
A bale of Coke and they are on you in minutes, people floating for days on a raft and we'll get there when we can
Old 03-05-2021, 04:17 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,921
Received 4,145 Likes on 2,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by signmansez View Post
A bale of Coke and they are on you in minutes, people floating for days on a raft and we'll get there when we can
They actually deployed a chopper launched from a big cutter. Requested I stay on station until a rapid response vessel arrived. The chopper assessed and then left and he was there in 30 minutes. We stayed through the entire process. The cutter showed up and took all of them off the raft via a launched craft from the cutter who was hauling ass to the scene.

It was right in the middle of the main shipping lane about 25 miles off Marathon.

The last correspondence on the VHF from the cutter to USCG station Marathon was to put the raft on the Bottom.

They rolled up and blew the thing to pieces. It was impressive.

The Irony of this entire thing it was the fourth of July. Independence Day!
Old 03-05-2021, 07:19 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Port St Joe & Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 148
Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts
Default

Filet and release is the best method.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:53 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 3,436
Received 2,556 Likes on 969 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
I always called marijuana bales square groupers ... what do you call a bale of cocaine? A Square Beluga?
Bales of cocaine are known as “white lobster”.

There are people on the Atlantic side of Nicaragua that make a living finding and returning lost cargo to the smugglers.

http://content.time.com/time/world/a...063261,00.html
Likes:
Old 03-06-2021, 04:03 AM
  #16  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 9,236
Received 2,555 Likes on 1,163 Posts
Default

Here is a good story about why you should never investigate it and just move along as you saw nothing.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/c...-years-9234920
Old 03-06-2021, 06:20 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Miami, FL & Midway, GA
Posts: 204
Received 94 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
I always called marijuana bales square groupers ... what do you call a bale of cocaine? A Square Beluga?
401K

Last edited by CaptainRobin; 03-06-2021 at 07:15 AM. Reason: forgot to quote what I was responding too
Likes:
Old 03-06-2021, 07:16 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Miami, FL & Midway, GA
Posts: 204
Received 94 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
Here is a good story about why you should never investigate it and just move along as you saw nothing.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/c...-years-9234920
Crazy story...sad situation for the kids particularly
Old 03-06-2021, 07:25 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stuart, Florida
Posts: 3,915
Received 465 Likes on 210 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by PJHoffnet View Post
I always called marijuana bales square groupers ... what do you call a bale of cocaine? A Square Beluga?

My lucky day
Likes:
Old 03-06-2021, 07:31 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Palm Beach
Posts: 2,084
Received 823 Likes on 471 Posts
Default

Bales of weed floated up all the time back in the late '70's. A friend found one and unloaded it and bought a new 21' Seacraft, we caught a lot of fish on that boat. I know a lot of guys who were cops back then and they hauled a lot of bales off the sand. Keep in mind there were still lots of undeveloped shoreline back then, not all condos and NO video surveillance

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.