Notices

Middle Grounds Trip October

Old 09-28-2020, 08:19 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 145
Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Middle Grounds Trip October

Looking to see if any other boats would like to make a trip to the middle grounds, weather permitting I am looking at the weekend October 17 and 18th, leaving from Clearwater.

Being I have a smaller Center Console (23’8”) with a single engine I like to go with other boats. We’re a well equipped boat, dual Simrad Evo3, Halo Radar, Epirb and so on. My range with just the main tank is about 300miles and with auxiliary about 390. We don’t have to cruise together if your a bigger faster boat. I cruise about 27-30mph.

Plan would be to launch early early like 2am -3am and hit the grounds before sun up. Fish most of the day and run back in.

Anyone interested in making a trip that weekend?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:06 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Boynton Inlet
Posts: 377
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

23' boat in Mid October? Sorry but good luck with that. Make sure you file a trip plan.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:26 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 3,808
Received 1,262 Likes on 623 Posts
Default

Maybe Seatow?
Likes:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:00 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 64
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

.

Last edited by conranj; 09-29-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Not worth it...
Likes:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:15 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 145
Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

This was a post to see if anyone is interested to go if the weather permits. I go to the MG several times a year in my boat. Being its October, I wont run out if the weather isn't showing to be perfect. We did a trip last year in October with a few guys from here and it was perfect conditions.

I fish out of clearwater weekly I know I can go anywhere there.

The post doesn't get ugly, people do.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:54 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 309
Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

Ive never been and Im taking the 21st off for my birthday. For me coming out of St Pete I'd likely run to the Elbow instead tho. I do know a guy with a 27 Gamefish that does the MG all the time out of IRB. Look him up on FB Frank Bonifacio he might be down to go.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:25 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 145
Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kpaulhus View Post
Ive never been and Im taking the 21st off for my birthday. For me coming out of St Pete I'd likely run to the Elbow instead tho. I do know a guy with a 27 Gamefish that does the MG all the time out of IRB. Look him up on FB Frank Bonifacio he might be down to go.
We run there a few times a year in my boat, never have had an issue or came across one. I play it safe if theres any chance of pop up storms or tropical storms/depressions in the gulf I wouldn't go. I appreciate it, Ill see if he's going that weekend if the weather is good. Kinda far out to know.

Main reason for wanting to go if that weekend has good weather is just to go jigging. Ill be fishing a few weekdays after because my weekends will have me traveling through October and November.

I feel like people believe a 23cc cant go offshore. Were in the gulf, we run 40 miles minimum in the summer for good fishing and mostly 50-60miles is our average trip out.

Obviously I am asking to see if others are looking at that weekend, bc I want to play it safe. Not going wont kill me, Ill just run out and catch some hogs and Gags off Clearwater.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:04 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,057
Received 271 Likes on 182 Posts
Default

I have an OB27 and I’d be nervous about that trip, that time of year. Sounds like a death wish. Definitely come prepared if you go.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:48 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 755
Received 634 Likes on 320 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UnmatchedNutrition View Post
Looking to see if any other boats would like to make a trip to the middle grounds, weather permitting I am looking at the weekend October 17 and 18th, leaving from Clearwater.

Being I have a smaller Center Console (23’8”) with a single engine I like to go with other boats. We’re a well equipped boat, dual Simrad Evo3, Halo Radar, Epirb and so on. My range with just the main tank is about 300miles and with auxiliary about 390. We don’t have to cruise together if your a bigger faster boat. I cruise about 27-30mph.

Plan would be to launch early early like 2am -3am and hit the grounds before sun up. Fish most of the day and run back in.

Anyone interested in making a trip that weekend?
EPIRB?

Means of over the horizon comms?

What's in your ditch bag?

What type of first aid items do you carry aboard?

Do you have a raft?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:47 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Louisiana & Florida
Posts: 994
Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts
Default

Be careful

Weather today! St Pete.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:18 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,935
Received 717 Likes on 335 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UnmatchedNutrition View Post
Looking to see if any other boats would like to make a trip to the middle grounds, weather permitting I am looking at the weekend October 17 and 18th, leaving from Clearwater.

Being I have a smaller Center Console (23’8”) with a single engine I like to go with other boats. We’re a well equipped boat, dual Simrad Evo3, Halo Radar, Epirb and so on. My range with just the main tank is about 300miles and with auxiliary about 390. We don’t have to cruise together if your a bigger faster boat. I cruise about 27-30mph.

Plan would be to launch early early like 2am -3am and hit the grounds before sun up. Fish most of the day and run back in.

Anyone interested in making a trip that weekend?
Just watch the weather forcast. Look at 2 or 3 different models. If you get 2-3 days of wind 10 mph or less and seas 1.5ft or less ....... GO!

I'm regularly 50-150 miles offshore in a "little 23ft" boat with a single engine ..... 12 months a year. I was out there last weekend. Zero issues other than the AP acted goofy.

There are many ninnies on THT ...... if you are prepared and feel skilled and confident, go when and where you desire.
Likes:
cnowery13, fishin mogul, fishinmaniac, srodriguez, UnmatchedNutrition, Yacht Huckleberry and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Boynton Inlet
Posts: 377
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chrisrack View Post
I'm regularly 50-150 miles offshore in a "little 23ft" boat with a single engine ..... 12 months a year. I was out there last weekend. Zero issues other than the AP acted goofy.
You would have to admit a 23' Parker isn't the same as most 23' boats. Parker still uses the water line and doesn't include the bracket and pulpit in their measurements.
A 23' Parker is more like 25'-27' long not including the motors..
Old 09-30-2020, 08:05 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,935
Received 717 Likes on 335 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Islandthyme View Post
You would have to admit a 23' Parker isn't the same as most 23' boats. Parker still uses the water line and doesn't include the bracket and pulpit in their measurements.
A 23' Parker is more like 25'-27' long not including the motors..
True.

I believe the OP has a 230 Bulls Bay ..... which is marginally considered an offshore boat with a dry weight of 2400lbs and a 90 gallon fuel tank. I'm not sure that I'd be real comfortable taking such a vessel to the Middle Grounds. I have to agree with others here ..... I think that is getting to be a bit small.

Last edited by chrisrack; 09-30-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 309
Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

So now that ARS is open, I dont think we will have to run to the MG in October to catch some nice fish.
Likes:
Old 09-30-2020, 10:08 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 755
Received 634 Likes on 320 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chrisrack View Post
There are many ninnies on THT ...... if you are prepared and feel skilled and confident, go when and where you desire.
Please define "ninnies" for us. I'd like to hear your criteria.

Acting responsibly, having the proper equipment and being prepared for SHTF is not being a ninny. It's being a responsible adult, operator and captain. I asked OP about equipment. Haven't heard answer. Maybe he has it, maybe not.

I wouldn't be out there 15 miles, or 130 without those basic offshore lifesaving devices and equipment. I do go very far offshore, and spend days out there. Nothing is taken for granted. I could not fathom having someone go down, or the boat be in distress and not be prepared.

If playing fast and loose with your life, or lives of others is what you do - have at it.

Last edited by Phins360; 09-30-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,935
Received 717 Likes on 335 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Phins360 View Post
Please define "ninnies" for us. I'd like to hear your criteria.

Acting responsibly, having the proper equipment and being prepared for SHTF is not being a ninny. It's being a responsible adult, operator and captain. I asked OP about equipment. Haven't heard answer. Maybe he has it, maybe not.

I wouldn't be out there 15 miles, or 130 without those basic offshore lifesaving devices and equipment. I do go very far offshore, and spend days out there. Nothing is taken for granted. I could not fathom having someone go down, or the boat be in distress and not be prepared.

If playing fast and loose with your life, or lives of others is what you do - have at it.
Relax. I wasn't talking about your comment on this thread as being a "ninny".

It's a well known fact that THT comments often over-exaggerate risk and need for preparedness. Those are the ninny-like comments. The need/suggestion for a 1-ton F350 to tow a 22ft boat is a sign of being a ninny. Many folks on THT won't go out of sight of land without twin engines and a USCG dewatering pump.

My own boat has an EPIRB, a PLB, a filed-float plan, twin bilge pumps with a fire-alarm tied into the secondary pump, 3 GPS, multiple strobe lights, everyone wears a PFD at night, etc, etc. So I wasn't referring to your questions. Regardless, the OP has disappeared.

Last edited by chrisrack; 10-01-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Likes:
Old 10-01-2020, 01:27 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 145
Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Phins360 View Post
EPIRB?

Means of over the horizon comms?

What's in your ditch bag?

What type of first aid items do you carry aboard?

Do you have a raft?
First above I tell you my boat is equipped with an EPIRP and we have two PLB also. We also have an Artemis Ditch bag.

what are you referring to as type of first aid items? A complete first aid kit. Should I also explain I teach first aid to Firefighters and LEO’s as if it matters.

I do not have life raft on my boat. But have flotation devices. Hence wanting to go with Multiple boats.

I am sorry but too many THT members think they’re God’s Gift to the ocean till it’s time to fish. Then there’s some reason why every person shouldn’t go. I mean damn you can have your 400k boat and you’re at equal risk. Just like the dumb ass that crashed his yellowfin into another craft in the inlet that was posted on here.

this posted wasn’t for any of your opinions for me to go or not go. I don’t give two cares about your opinions.

next it’s going to be what do you tow your boat with. Oh that’s not big enough. F550 or nothing.

Likes:
chrisrack, cnowery13, kpaulhus, MichStMako, srodriguez, thefrogcrusher, Yacht Huckleberry and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-2020, 02:47 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 101
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

What do you catch in the Middle Grounds? I'm from the east coast. Yea, I could Google...but then what's the point of this forum?
Old 10-01-2020, 02:53 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Boynton Inlet
Posts: 377
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Skurve04 View Post
What do you catch in the Middle Grounds? I'm from the east coast. Yea, I could Google...but then what's the point of this forum?
Fish
Old 10-01-2020, 04:07 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 506
Received 416 Likes on 189 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Phins360 View Post
Please define "ninnies" for us.
Absolutely nothing wrong being safety conscious, making sure everyone has proper gear, and picking appropriate weather windows. That said, some of the comments around here are ridiculous. Going offshore in a 23’ isn’t a “death wish” as one user noted. A few months back there was another thread asking recommendations for a family boat for water sports around Tampa Bay, and half the replies made it seem unconscionable to bring a child on anything under 30’ in the BAY. Come on! Sure, a 23’ might not be the most comfortable offshore ride, but it can be done safely with care. I’ve been running offshore for the past 30 years in 21-25’ boats without issue. Make sure you have all the gear, watch the weather, and it isn’t an issue. Do I think OP is going to have a lot of good weather windows in Oct? No, but if one pops up I certainly don’t see a problem with it.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.