Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > Florida & Georgia
Reload this Page >

Thinking of hitting Captiva for a week or two... any must-eats, etc,? No plan really.

Notices

Thinking of hitting Captiva for a week or two... any must-eats, etc,? No plan really.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:42 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Question Thinking of hitting Captiva for a week or two... any must-eats, etc,? No plan really.

Think I might go back to the west coast for a bit and relax before the kids do their school thing again, etc...

Not going with much of a plan. Will live on the boat and have access to a rental car. Looking for very relaxed and easy-going. Don't need to run around and sight-see on this one.

Mostly looking for good (prefer unusual) food and maybe some "off the path" type things to explore. We did Fort Myers in 2016 and I can tell you that we've done it all there... so I'm good with that. It can be by car - likely won't move the boat after we dock until we're ready to head home.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:58 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWFLA
Posts: 2,334
Received 768 Likes on 391 Posts
Default

Just as long as you wear a mask everywhere you go, you’ll be fine.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:09 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 283
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Mucky Duck, Green Flash, Bubble Room, Old Captiva House
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 03:13 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,556
Received 615 Likes on 353 Posts
Default

I think this will be a pretty short list - Captiva isn't that big!! If you've got a rental car (I don't think you can take golf carts off of captiva) you've got plenty of time to see all of sanibel and captiva.

For all your biking, if you take the kids' bikes on the boat, you could probably rent a pair of adult bikes and make a good day trip of biking to the lighthouse (far end of sanibel) and back.

You can take the even longer route and go through Ding Darling Park one way. https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Re...OffMap2019.pdf

And yes, you're sort of stuck with the food choices you've got. IMO they aren't amazing, I've never understood the fascination with the mucky duck (short of the location) and my memories of the Bubble Room as a kid are better than the real thing, but both should probably be on your list.

Last edited by Flot; 08-02-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:17 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Most of the places in Captiva appear to get "not great" reviews... willing to branch out... just throw some places out there.

(Haha on the snarky mask comment. Don't be a DB. Start your own thread in the bilge if you want to talk politics.)
Old 08-02-2020, 03:31 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 19,812
Received 789 Likes on 445 Posts
Default

On Captiva for places with docks there is of course South Seas Plantation, but a better bet would be

Tween Waters https://tween-waters.com/marina/
or
Jensen's - my favorite for an old Florida feeling https://www.gocaptiva.com/marina-resort.html

Restaurants not to miss would be the ones mentioned above, but with kids you might want to hit the Bubble Room more than once as like Jensen's, it is a Florida classic.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:53 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by First Light View Post
On Captiva for places with docks there is of course South Seas Plantation, but a better bet would be

Tween Waters https://tween-waters.com/marina/
or
Jensen's - my favorite for an old Florida feeling https://www.gocaptiva.com/marina-resort.html

Restaurants not to miss would be the ones mentioned above, but with kids you might want to hit the Bubble Room more than once as like Jensen's, it is a Florida classic.
What does "with kids" mean?
Old 08-02-2020, 04:02 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 235
Received 209 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

Mucky duck not so good. Service good and nice location but food yuck.

Most of Captiva Island residential. We dined more on Sanibel.

​​​​​​
Old 08-02-2020, 04:05 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
I think this will be a pretty short list - Captiva isn't that big!! If you've got a rental car (I don't think you can take golf carts off of captiva) you've got plenty of time to see all of sanibel and captiva.

For all your biking, if you take the kids' bikes on the boat, you could probably rent a pair of adult bikes and make a good day trip of biking to the lighthouse (far end of sanibel) and back.

You can take the even longer route and go through Ding Darling Park one way. https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Re...OffMap2019.pdf

And yes, you're sort of stuck with the food choices you've got. IMO they aren't amazing, I've never understood the fascination with the mucky duck (short of the location) and my memories of the Bubble Room as a kid are better than the real thing, but both should probably be on your list.

Yeah... most of the places in Captiva appear to be very "tourist food-like"... From our Ft. Myers trip we know a bunch of good places there... so we can hit those. We'll probably hop around to some of the touristy places too... just for fun. South Seas looks like the best of all of them as far as Marinas go... the other places are OK looking.

I think the kids can burn a day or two just fishing over by Redfish Pass...

We shall see!
Old 08-02-2020, 05:01 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Apopka, Fl
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Most of the places in Captiva appear to get "not great" reviews... willing to branch out... just throw some places out there.

(Haha on the snarky mask comment. Don't be a DB. Start your own thread in the bilge if you want to talk politics.)
I was there couple weeks ago and you WILL need a mask everywhere.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:09 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 19,812
Received 789 Likes on 445 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
What does "with kids" mean?
It means it's a fun place that kids will like.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 06:04 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Anyone have good suggestions to do some kayaking in the area? Got the two kayaks loaded on the hardtop... after all that hassle -- I'll need to use them. LOL.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:08 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ft.Myers & Key West
Posts: 501
Received 301 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

Didn’t see anyone mention The Lazy Flamingo , it is on Sanibel just off of Captiva. I eat lunch there at least one or two times a week when I am in town . Great blackened or bronzed seafood . I never eat fried fish except there when they have Hogfish , it is worth it ! South Seas has a lot more to offer as far as activities, especially for the kids .
Redfish pass always has something biting . There are some Goliath Grouper down there too .
Ding Darling is worth a look too . If you’re family is interested , there is also a shell museum on Sanibel.
PM me if you need any more info .
Old 08-02-2020, 06:16 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JDinSWFL View Post
Didn’t see anyone mention The Lazy Flamingo , it is on Sanibel just off of Captiva. I eat lunch there at least one or two times a week when I am in town . Great blackened or bronzed seafood . I never eat fried fish except there when they have Hogfish , it is worth it ! South Seas has a lot more to offer as far as activities, especially for the kids .
Redfish pass always has something biting . There are some Goliath Grouper down there too .
Ding Darling is worth a look too . If you’re family is interested , there is also a shell museum on Sanibel.
PM me if you need any more info .
PM sent!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 433
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Think I might go back to the west coast for a bit and relax before the kids do their school thing again, etc...

Not going with much of a plan. Will live on the boat and have access to a rental car. Looking for very relaxed and easy-going. Don't need to run around and sight-see on this one.

Mostly looking for good (prefer unusual) food and maybe some "off the path" type things to explore. We did Fort Myers in 2016 and I can tell you that we've done it all there... so I'm good with that. It can be by car - likely won't move the boat after we dock until we're ready to head home.

Thanks!
Where are you staying?
Are you bringing a boat?

Mad Hatter is the best in my opinion. Green Flash is good. Mucky duck is great for lunch or casual dinner.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TN
Posts: 121
Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Captiva - most are good, but nothing much worth writing home about although we do enjoy Green Flash. We get desserts to go from the Bubble Room and skip trying to eat there. Mad Hatter and Lazy Flamingo just across Blind Pass are the best food close by. The grouper sandwich at LF is one of the better ones on the island. My place is about 2 miles from there so we are regulars.

If you can drive over to Sanibel, the options are better and covered in other threads. Over Easy for breakfast and then we rotate between Cips, the Sandbar, and the Blue Giraffe.Il Cielo and Blue Rendezvous for a nice meal. Pecking Order, Clam Shack, or the Sanibel Deli for a quick pick up to go. Doc Fords or Island Cow if you didn’t get enough touristy stuff with the ones on Captiva. Joeys or Sanibels Best for ice cream. You really can’t go wrong with a lot of the restaurants. We have had most all of them and rarely have had a bad meal. There are several mentioned that are closed or takeout only. Others also close next month to get ready for the high season.

Kayaks - Ding Darling or Tarpon Bay. TB has laid out a sightseeing route and also runs kayak tour. If you have your boat, make a run to cabbage Key for lunch and Cayo Costa for a nice beach.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Smoak352 View Post
Where are you staying?
Are you bringing a boat?

Mad Hatter is the best in my opinion. Green Flash is good. Mucky duck is great for lunch or casual dinner.
We're staying on the boat... not sure where which marina yet...
Old 08-03-2020, 05:27 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brewcpa View Post
Captiva - most are good, but nothing much worth writing home about although we do enjoy Green Flash. We get desserts to go from the Bubble Room and skip trying to eat there. Mad Hatter and Lazy Flamingo just across Blind Pass are the best food close by. The grouper sandwich at LF is one of the better ones on the island. My place is about 2 miles from there so we are regulars.

If you can drive over to Sanibel, the options are better and covered in other threads. Over Easy for breakfast and then we rotate between Cips, the Sandbar, and the Blue Giraffe.Il Cielo and Blue Rendezvous for a nice meal. Pecking Order, Clam Shack, or the Sanibel Deli for a quick pick up to go. Doc Fords or Island Cow if you didn’t get enough touristy stuff with the ones on Captiva. Joeys or Sanibels Best for ice cream. You really can’t go wrong with a lot of the restaurants. We have had most all of them and rarely have had a bad meal. There are several mentioned that are closed or takeout only. Others also close next month to get ready for the high season.

Kayaks - Ding Darling or Tarpon Bay. TB has laid out a sightseeing route and also runs kayak tour. If you have your boat, make a run to cabbage Key for lunch and Cayo Costa for a nice beach.
Thanks... good intel! We were at Cayo in June... nice place, and even able to tie the 32' up to dock for a few bucks donation for the day. A little buggy, but not horrible. The kayaking at Ding looks really really nice!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:46 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: West Coast Florida
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If you don't mind spending an extra buck , mad hatter is very good and has a really nice ambience. They're filet mignon is top notch and so are their scallops.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:13 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,010
Received 2,809 Likes on 1,519 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sailor4Life View Post
If you don't mind spending an extra buck , mad hatter is very good and has a really nice ambience. They're filet mignon is top notch and so are their scallops.
Nice reviews! Thanks!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.