Notices
Florida & Georgia
 Shur Hold Marine

Fishing the Corner

Old 04-10-2020, 03:13 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: STUART FLORIDA
Posts: 894
Received 144 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Fishing the Corner

Anyone run and fish the corner since the RBDF started patrolling a few days ago?

https://thenassauguardian.com/2020/04/06/rbdf-sets-up-blockade-in-northern-bahamas/
Old 04-10-2020, 06:25 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Posts: 493
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

I wouldn't risk it. They have a cutter off Grand Bahama patrolling the NW passage.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:12 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,097
Received 4,324 Likes on 2,215 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
I wouldn't risk it. They have a cutter off Grand Bahama patrolling the NW passage.
This^^^^^
It would be a really good way to be made an example of. The corner is certainly in their EEZ and they are probably bored.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:44 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: STUART FLORIDA
Posts: 894
Received 144 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Chris7687 View Post
I wouldn't risk it. They have a cutter off Grand Bahama patrolling the NW passage.
I wasn't insinuating that I was going I was just wondering if anybody had gone recently since they started patrolling the bank there
Old 04-10-2020, 08:56 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: coral gables, florida
Posts: 5,692
Received 748 Likes on 398 Posts
Default

its a great idea. go for it. in addition, post on the internet that you intend to break the law.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:28 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 576
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

How far north of the bank does their EEZ end? Never fished up that way.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:37 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vero Beach
Posts: 1,583
Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Couple boats went last week and did ok on yellowfin up to 60 pounds.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:49 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sebastian Fl.
Posts: 731
Received 388 Likes on 183 Posts
Default

The EEZ zone begins roughly 55 nm off the east coast of fl, . west of Bahamas and runs well north of the corner .
North of their, I believe the eastern us boundary is 200 miles offshore U S.
If you google EEZ , you'll see a number of charts along with coordinates
You will find good tuna fishing roughly 16 miles north of the corner after clearing customs at West End . Capt. Bill/Right Stuff
Old 04-10-2020, 11:52 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: STUART FLORIDA
Posts: 894
Received 144 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alacrity View Post
its a great idea. go for it. in addition, post on the internet that you intend to break the law.
Thanks for your contribution smart guy, it was just a simple question. I dont even have a boat anymore so there is no way I can go I was just asking. I know there are always a few people that manage to skirt the rules and try it.
Likes:
Old 04-10-2020, 07:19 PM
  #10  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,075
Received 407 Likes on 235 Posts
Default

Read that there's a bunch of cruise ships anchored off Issacs & that the CG is over there too. I saw a few boat run over last weekend & I'm pretty sure they didn't clear. Not something I would want to do now.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:07 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boynton bch., FL
Posts: 829
Likes: 0
Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

I know guys that do it all the time and post on social media, does that make it right ? They know what they're doing but they always want to be the bad ass and I guess if you have a triple engine boat you probably could out run anything as long as you have your radar on and pick up and run when you see something heading your way. I always love when someone comes on here and asks if anyone is doing something illegal.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:47 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: STUART FLORIDA
Posts: 894
Received 144 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oceansmasher View Post
I know guys that do it all the time and post on social media, does that make it right ? They know what they're doing but they always want to be the bad ass and I guess if you have a triple engine boat you probably could out run anything as long as you have your radar on and pick up and run when you see something heading your way. I always love when someone comes on here and asks if anyone is doing something illegal.

Nobody was asking if it was wrong or right, everyone has done something that's illegal in one or way or another whether it be speeding or rolling through a stop etc. Its almost guaranteed that everyone that has ever crossed to the Bahamas and been 40 miles part way there and found a giant weed patch with dolphin has stopped and fished it, technically its illegal but most if not everybody does it. It was just a simple question because I know some people are definitely not afraid of making a run for good fishing even if it means being possibly chased down.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:07 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 181
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ljp123 View Post
Nobody was asking if it was wrong or right, everyone has done something that's illegal in one or way or another whether it be speeding or rolling through a stop etc. Its almost guaranteed that everyone that has ever crossed to the Bahamas and been 40 miles part way there and found a giant weed patch with dolphin has stopped and fished it, technically its illegal but most if not everybody does it. It was just a simple question because I know some people are definitely not afraid of making a run for good fishing even if it means being possibly chased down.
To answer your question, I got some indirect reports of people fishing up to the North. Not sure how close to the corner, but they apparently hammered them.
Likes:
Old 04-14-2020, 06:49 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Florida's Easternmost Point
Posts: 4,016
Received 249 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

An answer!
Likes:
Old 04-14-2020, 07:41 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NW NJ & N Hutchinson Island
Posts: 1,295
Received 250 Likes on 142 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bahamasbound View Post
To answer your question, I got some indirect reports of people fishing up to the North. Not sure how close to the corner, but they apparently hammered them.
I have some direct reports, and they were so so after a couple of trips, Two sails, dropped a blue, lost YF tuna 2 sharks. Brought home 1 blackfin
Long way to run for that.
Likes:
Old 04-14-2020, 08:21 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 181
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nautibouys II View Post
I have some direct reports, and they were so so after a couple of trips, Two sails, dropped a blue, lost YF tuna 2 sharks. Brought home 1 blackfin
Long way to run for that.
Report I got was six YFT between 30-65 and two BFTs.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:41 PM
  #17  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jupiter,FL / Marathon, FL Keys
Posts: 2,216
Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

There have been some nice scores and some near skunks.
it's a bit early which is typically lucky or unlucky time

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.