Notices
Florida & Georgia
 Shur Hold Marine

Manatee County Sheriff - Thank You!!!

Old 03-29-2020, 03:00 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 455
Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Manatee County Sheriff - Thank You!!!

Headed out to Jewfish Key to have a look for myself at one of the more popular sandbars in our area and was very pleased to see our own Manatee County Sheriffs enforcing the governor's order of boats being 50 feet apart and no more than 10 per boat. When I spoke to the officer he said that he'd been there all day and that they had two boats around Passage Key doing the same. Though I didn't seem them, I'm hopeful that the local police departments and FWC are responding similarly but either way my sincere appreciation to the Sheriffs Office!




Old 03-29-2020, 03:01 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 6,120
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Default

How did you speak to him from 50ft away? VHF?
Old 03-29-2020, 03:02 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sebastian Fl.
Posts: 731
Received 390 Likes on 183 Posts
Default

Tampa Bay boater, good stuff !!!! Capt. Billy/ Right Stuff
Old 03-29-2020, 03:09 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fleming island, FL
Posts: 2,444
Likes: 0
Received 484 Likes on 266 Posts
Default

You know I really hate to be behind the language curve, which unfortunately happens too often to me. I've now seen it in two different threads can someone tell me what Capt. Billy/right stuff means? As far as the matter in the thread, I really hope people do not give the police a hard time and keep the distance from others that they are asked to keep, because if they shut the boat ramps down in my region it's going to hurt my feelings. I use to hit the sand bar in the Jacksonville region, once, maybe twice a year. I have no issues giving that up, in fact if it wasn't for 100% participation of women choosing thong bikinis has the standard, I could give it up completely.

Last edited by hensleyfish; 03-29-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 455
Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
How did you speak to him from 50ft away? VHF?
Nice, as neither were on the hook or the pole, we were compliant with the CDC guidelines of no less than 6'.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:48 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 228
Received 159 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
How did you speak to him from 50ft away? VHF?
I know you're being facetious, but honestly, 50' would be the equivalent of having a conversation halfway down our seawall...something we do regularly without any difficulty.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:07 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 6,120
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SlipperyPelican View Post
I know you're being facetious, but honestly, 50' would be the equivalent of having a conversation halfway down our seawall...something we do regularly without any difficulty.
Yeah. I had to comment because I knew that rule wouldn't be followed by those who enforce the rule.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:11 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 6,120
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Default

Also, why 50ft? Where did they come up with that number?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:13 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 3,688
Received 1,650 Likes on 750 Posts
Default

Because 50’ is the average boat length of a THT member?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:32 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,077
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Still Stoked View Post
Because 50’ is the average boat length of a THT member?
That ain’t what I heard ...




Old 03-29-2020, 05:34 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,633
Received 339 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

Pasco County Sheriff was doing the same at Anclote. Even the Sandbar, while looking too crowded for my tastes, looked more manageable than it did last weekend.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:50 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 455
Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 787337 View Post
Pasco County Sheriff was doing the same at Anclote. Even the Sandbar, while looking too crowded for my tastes, looked more manageable than it did last weekend.
Glad to hear it and a much more productive/fair response than closing the boat ramps! We've got the order, let's enforce it... almost everyone will do the right thing and those that don't should be cited.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:55 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 455
Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
Yeah. I had to comment because I knew that rule wouldn't be followed by those who enforce the rule.
"This distance provision ... does not apply to vessels underway unless they are tied, rafted or moored to another vessel."
Old 03-30-2020, 07:40 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Apollo Beach
Posts: 973
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default

Wow.. expensive boat.. Is that his duty vessel? Gause... hmmmm... That's ~$200K worth of tax payers dollars at work.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:46 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,601
Received 680 Likes on 413 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bergertime View Post
Wow.. expensive boat.. Is that his duty vessel? Gause... hmmmm... That's ~$200K worth of tax payers dollars at work.
not to mention the "real" need for that upper station....

wonder if this boat was confiscated.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I disagree with this.

It is a suggestion by the CDC. He is a law enforcement officer. Not a suggestion enforcement officer. He should not be enforcing something that is not a law.

Every time someone smokes a cig - he better walk up to them and yell at them to stop because it is unsafe.

I would have respectfully told him to go fook off.

Old 03-30-2020, 01:09 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hampstead, NC
Posts: 1,401
Received 382 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

I think 50’ is the average wave height on tht
Old 03-30-2020, 01:18 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,314
Received 4,579 Likes on 2,329 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ou8acracker2 View Post
I disagree with this.

It is a suggestion by the CDC. He is a law enforcement officer. Not a suggestion enforcement officer. He should not be enforcing something that is not a law.

Every time someone smokes a cig - he better walk up to them and yell at them to stop because it is unsafe.

I would have respectfully told him to go fook off.

Your wrong for several reasons and even if you were right you better think about this tough guy. Peace officers are empowered by their commission to enforce the law.

They are given broad authority to keep the peace. In the course of performing their duties, they may require you to do certain things. These things may not be directly codified in law, but may be required in order to keep the peace. In all these circumstances, an officer acting with prudence and sound judgment can order you to do something and you are required by law to do it. The officer is not required to stop and explain his reasoning before you are required to comply.

There are many examples that illustrate this. Let's say you are photographer for a newspaper. You are waiting outside a hotel for a celebrity to appear. Perfectly legal. An officer does not have authority to tell you to vacate that area, so dojng so would not be a lawful order. Or would it? What if there was a gas leak and a fire/explosion hazard existed? In that case, he can tell you to leave the area and if you refuse, you can be arrested. What if there was a large crowd of reporters blocking passage on the sidewalk? Because of the quantity of people congregating they can tell you to move, especially if you are blocking a public thoroughfare or an exit. You are there lawfully but the police can still order you to move and you still must comply. The law does not give you the right to interfere with the officer while in the commission of his duties nor does it allow you to argue with him. Feel free to argue with the judge after you are arrested.

And it's possible that you didn't break any laws, and neither did the officer, and so the judge just sends everyone home. But again, that's why the judge is the arbiter of the law.

What if you are on the side of the road in a traffic stop and you get out of your car? Can the officer tell you to get back in your car? It's not illegal for you to be outside of a car. But the officer may feel that it is too unsafe, for you and for him, for you to be outside of the car. In such a case, he can order you in the car and you must comply or face arrest.

Basically, if the officer can justify his order to a judge (not to you), and it furthers the commission of his duties under the law, it is lawful for him to give it, and mandatory for you to obey it.
Likes:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:19 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: West Palm, FL.
Posts: 1,100
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bergertime View Post
Wow.. expensive boat.. Is that his duty vessel? Gause... hmmmm... That's ~$200K worth of tax payers dollars at work.
That's the first thing I thought as well.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:24 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 455
Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ou8acracker2 View Post
I disagree with this.

It is a suggestion by the CDC.....
No, it's an executive order by the Governor. https://myfwc.com/media/23318/eo20-09.pdf

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.