Notices

Shark dives off Palm Beach inlet

Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,669
Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Shark dives off Palm Beach inlet

I heard there are now two charter boats out of Palm Beach inlet and four out of Jupiter inlet doing shark dives and chumming the sharks up.

This should be stopped like they did off Hillsboro.

Likes:
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,541
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default

Yep but they aren’t. Jupiter is where shark week filmed and the promoted the hell out of it. Bulls are out of control
Likes:
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 762
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

It's no joke. Over the past couple years the sharks have learned that the sound of a boat engine is the equivalent to a dinner bell ringing. Run out of Jupiter to 115 ft and half a dozen 10 footers will be under you in about 60 seconds.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hillsboro Inlet, S. FL
Posts: 346
Likes: 0
Received 109 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by somethingfishy View Post
This should be stopped like they did off Hillsboro.
I never heard of this. What happened?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:18 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 221
Likes: 0
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

It is illegal to feed sharks like that in State waters, but still legal in Federal waters over 3 miles offshore on the East coast. So for Hillsborough inlet area it is much too deep to dive at the 3 mile mark, but in Jupiter there are areas where you can be in a reasonable diving depth and still outside of the state waters. At least that is the angle that these rogue operators are probably relying on.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:25 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,581
Received 333 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

Its out of control. They do it just outside the 3 mile line in Jupiter. The idiot on Emerald that got his hand mangled hand-feeding them now just trains young guys to do it in his place and puts them in harm's way to line his pockets. I've fished and spearfished Jupiter and Palm Beach my entire life and don't even like going locally anymore. They have ruined most of my favorite spots. Anything we shoot just gets eaten. This was recently on one of the wrecks in front of Palm Beach. I normally fight to keep my catch but when it gets shredded by 5 big angry bulls there's not much you can do.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,541
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eric.reedy View Post
It is illegal to feed sharks like that in State waters, but still legal in Federal waters over 3 miles offshore on the East coast. So for Hillsborough inlet area it is much too deep to dive at the 3 mile mark, but in Jupiter there are areas where you can be in a reasonable diving depth and still outside of the state waters. At least that is the angle that these rogue operators are probably relying on.
you are correct
Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,669
Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts
Default

I was told out of PBI they are going south about 1.5 miles and doing it within state waters.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 946
Likes: 0
Received 365 Likes on 218 Posts
Default

They are very aggressive. Whenever there is a dollar to be made, someone will find a way to get around it. They never did find those two kids who were caught in that afternoon thunderstorm out of Jupiter a few years back and their boat flipped over only to be found 200 miles north.
I cannot believe I am going to say this but maybe they should open up longline boats off the SE coast of the Florida. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation from when it was banned to when the sharks started getting out of control.
When longlining was allowed, there were fewer sharks, IMO.
Likes:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:42 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edgewater, FL
Posts: 308
Likes: 0
Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

I'm with you that feeding the sharks needs to stop, but longlining is not the answer.
Likes:
Ccamp, JoseG, Jus Teasin, oceanluvr30, unobtanium, venator66 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:01 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 1,256
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71 View Post
I'm with you that feeding the sharks needs to stop, but longlining is not the answer.
Agreed
Likes:
Old 07-11-2019, 01:04 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,541
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default

Buddy of mine always says he’s going to start to catch them. Have to be 54 to keep.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:35 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWFLA
Posts: 1,938
Likes: 0
Received 486 Likes on 265 Posts
Default

Go bang stick a whole pile of ‘em.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Tequesta, Fl
Posts: 199
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by arosmarin View Post
It's no joke. Over the past couple years the sharks have learned that the sound of a boat engine is the equivalent to a dinner bell ringing. Run out of Jupiter to 115 ft and half a dozen 10 footers will be under you in about 60 seconds.

This is 100% correct. As soon as they see the boat they are on you. I've had one come right up and bite the prop, no chum in the water or anything.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

They're terrible up there around Jupiter/Juno. We certainly don't have the same problem in Pompano, Lauderdale, or Miami. It seems once you get north of Boynton Inlet they become a problem.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:04 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by head_hunter View Post
Its out of control. They do it just outside the 3 mile line in Jupiter. The idiot on Emerald that got his hand mangled hand-feeding them now just trains young guys to do it in his place and puts them in harm's way to line his pockets. I've fished and spearfished Jupiter and Palm Beach my entire life and don't even like going locally anymore. They have ruined most of my favorite spots. Anything we shoot just gets eaten. This was recently on one of the wrecks in front of Palm Beach. I normally fight to keep my catch but when it gets shredded by 5 big angry bulls there's not much you can do.

https://vimeo.com/331270966
That video makes my asshole pucker...
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 2,946
Received 743 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

Only need one tournament a year. Someone start it up and I’ll buy the first entry. Too many!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: ditch, boynton
Posts: 551
Received 499 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

I agree tournaments are the move. I'm sure they'll readapt to associate the sound of engines with harpoons rather than a free lunch.
Likes:
Old 07-11-2019, 06:25 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 473
Likes: 0
Received 192 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

Sharks aren’t the problem, people are.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:28 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,541
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kwipp View Post
Sharks aren’t the problem, people are.
bingo

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.