Notices
Like Tree524Likes

Boating Accident at Gov’t Cut Miami kills 2

Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 AM
  #361  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 145
Default

I think people forget about the misperception of distance at night. You can be a half mile off shore and it looks like you are 3 miles out with a long way to go. Then whammo!

Careful use of the chart plotter, going slow and wide are crucial.

aarrowads likes this.
Ormond Bert54 is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:12 PM
  #362  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: North of Cuber, South of Gawga
Posts: 520
Default

Originally Posted by Ormond Bert54 View Post
I think people forget about the misperception of distance at night. You can be a half mile off shore and it looks like you are 3 miles out with a long way to go. Then whammo!

Careful use of the chart plotter, going slow and wide are crucial.
I think you forget .............these people and the ball player were both leaving the inlet.........not coming back in.
Grunts N Grits is online now  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 PM
  #363  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 504
Default

Originally Posted by Grunts N Grits View Post
I think you forget .............these people and the ball player were both leaving the inlet.........not coming back in.
false. Jose Pérez had cleared the inlet and went north. Turned back around and ran into the north side of the north jetty.
Jbello27 likes this.
ThreeRs is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 PM
  #364  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: North of Cuber, South of Gawga
Posts: 520
Default

Originally Posted by ThreeRs View Post

false. Jose Pérez had cleared the inlet and went north. Turned back around and ran into the north side of the north jetty.
Don't you mean Jose Fernandez

Irregardless neither was returning from far enough offshore to think they still had miles to go.
Simple really, impaired or otherwise, high speed and inlets are bad mojo.
Standing men waves, small boats or kayaks you see only when right upon them etc.
Grunts N Grits is online now  
Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 AM
  #365  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 23,015
Default

I'll bet the most recent accident fatalities were talking about the Fernandez incident when they inadvertently repeated it....
billinstuart is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM
  #366  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,431
Default

Originally Posted by dave8311 View Post
Looking at the map, this makes the most sense. And, we still don't know who was driving.
Originally Posted by 2Smoker119 View Post
This is the most plausible scenario. It explains the high rate of speed. Probably cleared the south jetty and hit the north.
Originally Posted by Grunts N Grits View Post
Don't you mean Jose Fernandez

Irregardless neither was returning from far enough offshore to think they still had miles to go.
Simple really, impaired or otherwise, high speed and inlets are bad mojo.
Standing men waves, small boats or kayaks you see only when right upon them etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtB29gJ6dLQ

Irregardless,
you should eat salmon bro.
nexxxt214 is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM
  #367  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 713
Default

Originally Posted by nexxxt214 View Post
Bwahaha. That video is spot on.
El Faster is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 01:49 PM
  #368  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Barths F.W.I.
Posts: 4,382
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
From Sun Sentinel:
Cadavid, whose social media accounts say she was from Colombia, was married in Las Vegas nearly five years ago to Fort Lauderdale real estate broker Ron McCord, he said Monday.
“She’s gonna be missed by many,” McCord said. He was in Colombia visiting his wife’s family when police called him with the dreadful news.
McCord said he became concerned when Cadavid didn’t respond to his messages, and he said he knew she would never leave Nicki, their French bulldog, alone.

Many news media are still reporting she was with her boyfriend. Meanwhile, the husband is visiting her parents in Colombia.....
Was any of this confirmed?
BSpot is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 04:56 PM
  #369  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palm Harbor, FL 28 03'N 82 46'W
Posts: 31
Default

Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Looks like @momentumfishing on instagrams boat?

Really horrible to hear.
Looks like momentumfishing has a nice huge Simrad radar array on top, couldn't be that boat, could it? I would have that array spinnin showing me every goofball around for 5 miles.
LattitudeAdjustment is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 PM
  #370  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Citrus County, Fl.
Posts: 87
Default

News report listed the owner as @cogy62

Does look like the same boat.
dave8311 is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:38 PM
  #371  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 251
Default

Originally Posted by LattitudeAdjustment View Post
Looks like momentumfishing has a nice huge Simrad radar array on top, couldn't be that boat, could it? I would have that array spinnin showing me every goofball around for 5 miles.
it is. That’s already been confirmed since that post.
TheYeti is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 PM
  #372  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,462
Default

Originally Posted by LattitudeAdjustment View Post
Looks like momentumfishing has a nice huge Simrad radar array on top, couldn't be that boat, could it? I would have that array spinning showing me every goofball around for 5 miles.
Sure but you have to paying attention also. Many Morons while still in the marina will have their over size dick extended radars pinging everything from Miami to key west and yet their still on the side eating caca.
r.waddill likes this.
THE BARRACUDA is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM
  #373  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Jacksonville, FL.
Posts: 10,787
Default

Originally Posted by THE BARRACUDA View Post
Sure but you have to paying attention also. Many Morons while still in the marina will have their over size dick extended radars pinging everything from Miami to key west and yet their still on the side eating caca.
No idea what you are talking about but apparently you have a bad case of radar envy. Bit jealous? Sure looks that way. Why are you worried about someone elses electronics?
JAGSARE1 is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM
  #374  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 23,015
Default

Do ya think they were talking about Fernandez when THEY hit the jetties??
billinstuart is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM
  #375  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,457
Default

Just thinking - with the low jetty it seems like your chances of being ejected or jumping the entire boat over into the good water would be pretty good. Kinda seems hard believe it would kill people at say 40 ( ttl guess ) mph?
ono loco is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:04 PM
  #376  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,485
Default

As I passed by this long low jetty without any lights today, I was thinking how easy it must have been for an inebriated operator at high tide in the pitch dark to have made that ill-fated sharp left turn north.

At 40 mph, those jagged rocks will stop the boat midway across. Who knows what the victims will hit while they are being flung across the boat? Who knows if they were wearing PFDs? Most likely not. There are many ways to die in that horrific scenario.

petealan likes this.
jillybird is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM
  #377  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montville, NJ / soon Delray Beach FL
Posts: 686
Default

Originally Posted by superfishal View Post


You need to have empathy for folks..Nature take its course? A 16 year old boy lost his parents today. Natural selection had nothing to do with it. Come on man, you are better than that..
Unfortunately, I don't think he's better than that.
filthee likes this.
stoxbonds is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 02:18 PM
  #378  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 764
Default

Originally Posted by ono loco View Post
Just thinking - with the low jetty it seems like your chances of being ejected or jumping the entire boat over into the good water would be pretty good. Kinda seems hard believe it would kill people at say 40 ( ttl guess ) mph?
Are you kidding? Blunt force trauma will kill anyone at 40 mph especially when you're flung onto sharp edged boulders or even your center console. If I remember correctly in the Fernandez case he was impaled by the steering wheel. When I was a young teenager growing up in the country we had "field cars", old worthless cars we would buy for $100 and drive around in country fields. I learned pretty quick what it felt like when you hit a tree head on at even 10 mph. At 20 mph the force is exponential. We never dared do it any faster....
petealan is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 PM
  #379  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,186
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
Are you kidding? Blunt force trauma will kill anyone at 40 mph especially when you're flung onto sharp edged boulders or even your center console. If I remember correctly in the Fernandez case he was impaled by the steering wheel. When I was a young teenager growing up in the country we had "field cars", old worthless cars we would buy for $100 and drive around in country fields. I learned pretty quick what it felt like when you hit a tree head on at even 10 mph. At 20 mph the force is exponential. We never dared do it any faster....
The sudden stop is a bitch. You don't go very fast falling out of a tree 30 feet off the ground. That sudden stop sucks!

I said it earlier that it doesn't take a jetty to cause this. Running aground on sand and stopping suddenly will eject you from a boat. See my analogy of the tree above. Unless your in the swamp when you fall out of that tree you ain't gonna drown.

Blunt force is not required to kill your ass on the water. The water adds an element that needs to factored in as in many cases it is what takes the lives of the injured. That is what makes on the water accidents so much more dangerous.

You can drown without a scratch on ya!

ono loco and petealan like this.
20biminitwist is online now  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 PM
  #380  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,457
Default

As a former motocross racer and race car driver i have had my fair share of high speed inpacts so I get it.. of course the helmet and safety gear come in to play. Still seems hard believe when you see what drunk drivers in car wrecks walk away from. The unconscious drownings def make sense tho..

Last edited by ono loco; 05-03-2019 at 08:25 PM.
ono loco is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread