Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Boeing 737 MAX is stupidly designed

Notices
Like Tree186Likes

Boeing 737 MAX is stupidly designed

Old 04-09-2019, 11:47 PM
  #321  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,808
Default

Why do we need all these air safety organisations and crash investigations? THT experts have got it sorted, and use lots of nifty acronyms too, just need a coloured pie chart and the investigation is complete.
noelm is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 AM
  #322  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Newport Beach, CA. USA
Posts: 1,331
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Why do we need all these air safety organisations and crash investigations? THT experts have got it sorted, and use lots of nifty acronyms too, just need a coloured pie chart and the investigation is complete.
Pretty freaking clear the plane is jacked up.

The Groundlings have now been extended to August.

All you engineers don't need to have your feelings hurt, sometimes you screw up big-time. Just deal with it, it's ok....you're human.
Rico2 is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:38 AM
  #323  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,971
Default

Originally Posted by Rico2 View Post
Pretty freaking clear the plane is jacked up.

The Groundlings have now been extended to August.

All you engineers don't need to have your feelings hurt, sometimes you screw up big-time. Just deal with it, it's ok....you're human.
i believe it was an over abundance of executives and accountants with little engineering on this one...time will tell.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 AM
  #324  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,195
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post


i believe it was an over abundance of executives and accountants with little engineering on this one...time will tell.
Yup. Generally it's the higher level folks who don't know crap about crap that screw up stuff like this...not engineers.

I had one job where the project managers were all well experienced engineers with actual practical design experience. They were fantastic.

So of course corporate promptly removed them and put marketing in charge.

Oddly, projects started failing and engineers (including this one) proceeded to leave.

Not saying engineers never screw up, but it's often not as simple as that. You think the design engineers at VW willingly decided to do what they did? Or did direction come down from the bean counters....



​​
jhendric likes this.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM
  #325  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,833
Default

Well, if you're thinking about selling off your Boeing stock because there might be more order cancellations, you probably should hold off for a bit.....

American Airlines jet "nearly crashed" during takeoff at JFK last week

CBS News April 17, 2019, 9:33 AM Last Updated Apr 17, 2019 1:57 PM EDT

A close call for American Airlines Flight 300 at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport now appears far worse than first reported. Sources tell CBS News the Airbus with 102 passengers and eight crew on board "nearly crashed" last week when the wing scraped the ground and hit a sign and light pole during takeoff.

"We were banking, uncontrolled bank 45 degrees to the left," a pilot could be heard saying on the air traffic control audio of the incident.

"Turbulence from another aircraft?"

"I don't think so. There's a good cross wind but we had an uncommanded roll to the left as we rotated," he responded.

One source briefed on the incident told CBS News: "That was as close as anybody would ever want to come to crashing." According to people familiar with the ongoing investigation, preliminary indicators are that there was a "loss of control" on takeoff, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave.

The Airbus A321 took off around 8:40 p.m. on April 10, bound for Los Angeles. But just as the plane was beginning to lift off, it rolled to the left, causing the wing tip to scrape the ground. The wing then hit a runway sign and a light pole before pilots managed to regain control and continued the takeoff. The force of the impact bent the wing.
The flight returned to JFK 28 minutes later with no injuries reported. American Airlines tells CBS News, the airline "is investigating this incident in coordination with federal authorities."

The FAA is investigating and have not determined why the plane banked sharply at a critical moment of takeoff. The NTSB has requested data from the incident. After this report, the NTSB also announced a formal investigation, saying in the statement: "The FAA, American Airlines, and the Allied Pilots Association will be parties to the NTSB's investigation, and the BEA of France has designated an Accredited Representative as the state of design and manufacture of the airplane with Airbus as their technical advisor."
km1125 is online now  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 PM
  #326  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 786
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
...I had one job where the project managers were all well experienced engineers with actual practical design experience. They were fantastic.
So of course corporate promptly removed them and put marketing in charge....
​​
Did you work for Boeing?
TonyStark is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:12 PM
  #327  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,909
Default

The Cirrus Vision must have a bad design also since the FAA grounded it a few days ago
fjmaverick is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 05:23 AM
  #328  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 1,611
Default

New information regarding Boeing employee whistleblowers who have contacted the FAA regarding design and manufacturing problems:


The FAA tells CNN it received the four hotline submissions on April 5, and it may be opening up an entirely new investigative angle into what went wrong in the crashes of two Boeing 737 Max commercial airliners -- Lion Air flight 620 in October and Ethiopian Air flight 302 in March.

Among the complaints is a previously unreported issue involving damage to the wiring of the angle of attack sensor by a foreign object, according to the source.

Boeing has reportedly had previous issues with foreign object debris in its manufacturing process; The New York Times reported metal shavings were found near wiring of Boeing 787 Dreamliner planes, and the Air Force stopped deliveries of the Boeing KC-46 tanker after foreign object debris was found in some of the planes coming off the production line.

Other reports by the whistleblowers involve concerns about the MCAS control cut-out switches, which disengage the MCAS software, according to the source.
Kendall is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 06:37 AM
  #329  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,971
Default

The “fix” won’t be a simple software upgrade, I’m afraid.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 07:27 AM
  #330  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,833
Default

Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
New information regarding Boeing employee whistleblowers who have contacted the FAA regarding design and manufacturing problems:


The FAA tells CNN it received the four hotline submissions on April 5, and it may be opening up an entirely new investigative angle into what went wrong in the crashes of two Boeing 737 Max commercial airliners -- Lion Air flight 620 in October and Ethiopian Air flight 302 in March.

Among the complaints is a previously unreported issue involving damage to the wiring of the angle of attack sensor by a foreign object, according to the source.

Boeing has reportedly had previous issues with foreign object debris in its manufacturing process; The New York Times reported metal shavings were found near wiring of Boeing 787 Dreamliner planes, and the Air Force stopped deliveries of the Boeing KC-46 tanker after foreign object debris was found in some of the planes coming off the production line.

Other reports by the whistleblowers involve concerns about the MCAS control cut-out switches, which disengage the MCAS software, according to the source.
Got any link to that info? Some of the stuff related to the KC-46 were things like a set of pliers left in the cargo area of the plane. From the FDR information presented, it certainly appears that the cut-out switches were working as designed, at least on one of the planes that crashed. Not sure if anything further has come up that would question those early indications.
km1125 is online now  
Old 04-27-2019, 08:31 AM
  #331  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 223
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
"We were banking........ uncontrolled bank 45 degrees to the left................" a pilot could be heard saying on the air traffic control audio of the incident."
Shades of this Airbus ignoring the pilots and just doing its own thing......... And we don't need to list all the composite tails that have snapped off of Airbuses.....



Gary M is offline  
Old 04-27-2019, 08:35 PM
  #332  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 1,611
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
Got any link to that info? Some of the stuff related to the KC-46 were things like a set of pliers left in the cargo area of the plane. From the FDR information presented, it certainly appears that the cut-out switches were working as designed, at least on one of the planes that crashed. Not sure if anything further has come up that would question those early indications.
Posted today: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/26/polit...rts/index.html
Kendall is offline  
Old 04-28-2019, 04:21 PM
  #333  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,894
Default

Originally Posted by Kendall View Post

just going to say.... CNN. I hope we all don’t need to fact check this...
MUHSFINK07 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 AM
  #334  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 136
Default

Originally Posted by MUHSFINK07 View Post



just going to say.... CNN. I hope we all don’t need to fact check this...


mikeloew, cracked_ribs and km1125 like this.
SWA737 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:18 AM
  #335  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 136
Default

Because the flying public is so well informed (especially the SJW Keyboard fighter Ace MSFS hypersonic spaceplane night time carrier landing 737 Check Airman experts) Boeing has designed what CNN Experts are calling a "meaningful fix" to the 737MAX. It will surely satisfy even the most cynical keyboard aeronautical expert.



SWA737 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM
  #336  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,833
Default

Originally Posted by SWA737 View Post
Because the flying public is so well informed (especially the SJW Keyboard fighter Ace MSFS hypersonic spaceplane night time carrier landing 737 Check Airman experts) Boeing has designed what CNN Experts are calling a "meaningful fix" to the 737MAX. It will surely satisfy even the most cynical keyboard aeronautical expert.



They should probably wait to announce that, at least until the JFK flight has been investigated for the "uncontrolled bank 45 degrees to the left" immediately on take-off, as it was a A321.
km1125 is online now  
Old 04-29-2019, 02:39 PM
  #337  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 136
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
They should probably wait to announce that, at least until the JFK flight has been investigated for the "uncontrolled bank 45 degrees to the left" immediately on take-off, as it was a A321.
Maybe we can just paint a kangaroo on the tail. Rain Man says Qantas is the safest airline.
km1125 likes this.
SWA737 is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 AM
  #338  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,971
Default

Boeing Changes Its Story, Admits 'Software Glitch' Disabled Critical Alerts On 737 MAX
Boeing has changed its story about the alerts, and it's refusing to offer some badly needed clarifications.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 AM
  #339  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,833
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Boeing Changes Its Story, Admits 'Software Glitch' Disabled Critical Alerts On 737 MAX
Boeing has changed its story about the alerts, and it's refusing to offer some badly needed clarifications.
" Despite the bad news, ....Boeing shares traded slightly higher on Tuesday, and remained up on the year. "

That's because those folks actually are looking and listening to what's really going on, instead of the hyperbole.
km1125 is online now  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:58 AM
  #340  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,971
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
" Despite the bad news, ....Boeing shares traded slightly higher on Tuesday, and remained up on the year. "

That's because those folks actually are looking and listening to what's really going on, instead of the hyperbole.
What's the "hyperbole?"

There are a lot of stocks out there that are valued much higher than they are really worth. Not saying Boeing is one, but your "logic" is, uh, a bit lacking.
schoolsout1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread