Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Man jumps on pelican in Key West.

Notices
Like Tree89Likes

Man jumps on pelican in Key West.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM
  #121  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,688
Default

Originally Posted by REMfish7 View Post
There's a good chance you and I have something in common, as well as many others over the last twenty years.
Which STD did she give both of you??????
ESSRTEE8 is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 03:49 PM
  #122  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 123
Default

Originally Posted by ESSRTEE8 View Post
Which STD did she give both of you??????
yes
SHE GONE is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM
  #123  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 4,878
Default

It was against the law, and thats the bottom line. The guy was an idiot for posting a video. But this political correctness is getting out of hand in this country. Its a stupid pelican that wasnt hurt. If an animal is cute its seems to be treated a as a human nowadays. Yet how many people really give a damm about the Asian massage parlor slave girls. Would anyone be upset if it was a disgusting ,stinky tukey vulture? I think we are doomed down here in Florida as more and more people move here and right away want to instill their morals in us.
cpsdad and Brokenline like this.
barrell is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:48 PM
  #124  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Danvers, MA
Posts: 787
Default

Aside from the bird being federally protected, the way he jumped on it with all his weight like that he could've easily injured it badly. Broke one of its wings or something and without the ability to fly, the bird is doomed and would certainly die if left in the wild.

He's lucky the bird didn't get hurt, otherwise he would be in even more of a heap of trouble.
Hatem is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM
  #125  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Treasure Coast
Posts: 797
Default

So ..... If you've allowed your dog to chase squirrels in the park for 5 years and finally she catches one.

Do you let her eat it?

Asking for a friend.
China Rider is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:58 PM
  #126  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 25
Default

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna983851

Charlestonpanga is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:15 PM
  #127  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brick, New Jerczystan
Posts: 359
Default

I don’t understand why people go out of their way to harass animals when there are so many stupid people who should be fair game.
bhc6085 and MaseTime like this.
Stray Current is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 PM
  #128  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lorton, Virginia
Posts: 1,961
Default

https://wtop.com/maryland/2019/03/ma...an-in-florida/

Arrested .
Marlinmate1 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 08:19 PM
  #129  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,925
Default

Originally Posted by Marlinmate1 View Post
Excellent! The douchebag needed a pair of stainless steel wrist bracelets.
MaseTime likes this.
Shag is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:00 AM
  #130  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Danvers, MA
Posts: 787
Default

Originally Posted by SHE GONE View Post
I can't stand them, take them back with you next time. Just leave the frigates alone
Why do you despise them? I'm just curious. Are they always in the way and land on the boat etc.?
I wouldn't mind seeing them flourish up this way, they just wouldn't survive the winters we have although I have seen great blue herons fishing in lakes and ponds in the middle of February up this way, but that's actually sad since their bodies and feathers are not made to withstand the freezing cold. Not enough down feathers. But I am curious why they bug you. The seem rather harmless and fun to watch.
Hatem is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:24 AM
  #131  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 4,024
Default

There were quite a few white ones in the marsh yesterday. It was a beautiful early evening with the sun setting and the pelicans flying by.
gofastsandman likes this.
fijon is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:39 AM
  #132  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,739
Default

Originally Posted by Hatem View Post
Why do you despise them? I'm just curious. Are they always in the way and land on the boat etc.?
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but it reminded me of a story involving brown pelicans. They are actually quite smart and mischievous.

Years ago, I was walking on a fishing pier down near Port Charlotte. My sister was walking ahead of me. A brown pelican flew overhead and released his load narrowly missing my sister. I then watched the pelican circle back and drop another bomb. This time, it must have properly accounted for the wind, as she was hit on her shoulder and head. I will never believe they don’t do that on purpose,
gofastsandman and Hatem like this.
Belzelbub is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 06:43 AM
  #133  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,110
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
It was against the law, and thats the bottom line. The guy was an idiot for posting a video. But this political correctness is getting out of hand in this country. Its a stupid pelican that wasnt hurt. If an animal is cute its seems to be treated a as a human nowadays. Yet how many people really give a damm about the Asian massage parlor slave girls. Would anyone be upset if it was a disgusting ,stinky tukey vulture? I think we are doomed down here in Florida as more and more people move here and right away want to instill their morals in us.
I think you're missing the point. It's not really about the animal being "cute".

It's about what kind of "man" has the mindset to do that to a creature? Why did he think that was funny? It says more about him than it does the people who are up in arms over it.

Posting it on social media was his own dumb mistake. Haven't people learned by now?
Trayder, 240 LTS and SOSC like this.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 AM
  #134  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South LA
Posts: 792
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
I think you're missing the point. It's not really about the animal being "cute".

It's about what kind of "man" has the mindset to do that to a creature? Why did he think that was funny? It says more about him than it does the people who are up in arms over it.

Posting it on social media was his own dumb mistake. Haven't people learned by now?
I think its an interesting commentary on both. It's obvious that he's an idiot. The thousands of reactions his action caused interesting. Contrast it with the number of humans that were mistreated in some way on the same day that evokes no reaction. I'd say that says more about us than him. Yes, I said us.
Brokenline is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 07:59 AM
  #135  
4/0
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OIB
Posts: 1,737
Default

Originally Posted by SHE GONE View Post
I can't stand them, take them back with you next time. Just leave the frigates alone
Originally Posted by Hatem View Post
Why do you despise them? I'm just curious. Are they always in the way and land on the boat etc.?
I wouldn't mind seeing them flourish up this way, they just wouldn't survive the winters we have although I have seen great blue herons fishing in lakes and ponds in the middle of February up this way, but that's actually sad since their bodies and feathers are not made to withstand the freezing cold. Not enough down feathers. But I am curious why they bug you. The seem rather harmless and fun to watch.
Not sure why you would not like them. They help marking bait, so that's good for me. They will float over a school of pogies 20-30' deep, Waiting for them to come up.
4/0 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 AM
  #136  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,760
Default

20 lashes with a wet noodle for the db.
KJS is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:37 AM
  #137  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 4,878
Default

Originally Posted by KJS View Post
20 lashes with a wet noodle for the db.
Maybe a $200 fine might be appropriate. But wanting him locked in prison and throw away the key is overboard for what happened. If he killed it the fine should be higher but it flew away unscathed.
barrell is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 08:37 AM
  #138  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Newport, RI & Key West, FL
Posts: 4,044
Default

Originally Posted by Brokenline View Post
I think its an interesting commentary on both. It's obvious that he's an idiot. The thousands of reactions his action caused interesting. Contrast it with the number of humans that were mistreated in some way on the same day that evokes no reaction. I'd say that says more about us than him. Yes, I said us.
Big difference being someone that is being mistreated has a voice, animals not so much and I am sure more people were arrested for assaults on people vs animals any day of the week so your point is pretty weak.

I think the overall attitude of this thread and the fact the guy was arrested and being extradited back here to KW shows most people do care about the well being of animals, we enacted laws to prevent it and enforce them as seen here. No idea why that is so hard for some to understand?

Trayder is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:22 AM
  #139  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,457
Default

If they can let the guy in Miami who killed someone off with a slap on the wrist, it's hard to talk penalty for accosting a pelican or keeping an undersized fish.
billinstuart is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 AM
  #140  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Newport, RI & Key West, FL
Posts: 4,044
Default

Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
If they can let the guy in Miami who killed someone off with a slap on the wrist, it's hard to talk penalty for accosting a pelican or keeping an undersized fish.
what are you talking about? (re: guy in Miami) Can you share a link of some sort or more insight as that makes zero sense, even less to those I know that spent 6plus months in federal prison for lobster violations, are you saying murderers are now all released or maybe there is more to your story?
Trayder is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread