Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Do people still drink Protein shakes and those types of drinks?

Notices
Like Tree27Likes

Do people still drink Protein shakes and those types of drinks?

Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: cape cod
Posts: 844
Default Do people still drink Protein shakes and those types of drinks?

Maybe it's a stupid question... but I don't think I know anyone who still drinks that stuff. None of those chemical-based "protein" drinks that almost everyone on the planet knows don't do anything but make you gain muscle and are loaded with whey garbage. Yet, all the stores are jammed packed with them and I see and hear ads all over the place.

What's the scoop?



Yup another boring Sunday night and out of nowhere this thread idea appeared to me
creditcardguy likes this.
cman55 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 07:10 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: buzzards bay,ma.
Posts: 3,689
Default

I drink one mixed with whole milk almost every morning for breakfast. I’ve had bariatric surgery and the 25grams of protein definitely helps me make my protein intake goal for the day.

Not sure about how and why others use them
andyp262 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,257
Default

No, I don't know anybody. My friends and I are all super healthy though. Only drink water, source our vegetables from our pesticide free gardens, no red meat, only fish that we caught ourselves, feed our dog a raw diet and then humblebrag about it on boating websites. But, I suppose someone is buying it? Probably the idiots that buy sodas and such...
houtxfisher is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
WeeKilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Arden NC/Cross Hill SC
Posts: 218
Default

Originally Posted by houtxfisher View Post
No, I don't know anybody. My friends and I are all super healthy though. Only drink water, source our vegetables from our pesticide free gardens, no red meat, only fish that we caught ourselves, feed our dog a raw diet and then humblebrag about it on boating websites. But, I suppose someone is buying it? Probably the idiots that buy sodas and such...
cman55 likes this.
WeeKilt is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,561
Default

I hear Trader Joe's has the best organic protein shakes in the world.

RyanL11 and cman55 like this.
Marlin308 is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 172
Default

Never could drink them, made me feel sick to my stomach. Not a big weight lifter, more a cardio/runner so no use in drinking them.
rockyraider is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southeast Ct.
Posts: 838
Default

Aren’t protein shakes usually for women?
Gullpt is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 01:38 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,001
Default

I mix two scoops of protein powder with my Diet Coke. Yum.
bluewatermafia, Rico2 and cman55 like this.
mattttt25 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:10 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,154
Default

i make one when i get home from work. 2 scoops protein powder, fresh spinach, some celery and add mct oil to it .
total mayhem is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:14 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 187
Default

my wife drinks one everyday
Mskiff77 likes this.
bingo91799 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:14 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,973
Default

Me, I am the "Super Dave" of the health food world. I only drink water (sparingly of course) that is hauled down from the top of Mt. Everest by native Sherpas who have had the necessary training to ensure no unwanted chemicals make their way into the water, osmosis and all that.

Any of you folks that drink anything else are bound to suffer from all of the poisons you are drinking in your bottled water.

I have spoke.
weatherman and SolOps like this.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:38 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 1,354
Default

Originally Posted by cman55 View Post
Maybe it's a stupid question... but I don't think I know anyone who still drinks that stuff. None of those chemical-based "protein" drinks that almost everyone on the planet knows don't do anything but make you gain muscle and are loaded with whey garbage. Yet, all the stores are jammed packed with them and I see and hear ads all over the place.

What's the scoop?



Yup another boring Sunday night and out of nowhere this thread idea appeared to me
"don't do anything but make you gain muscle"..... that's what they are for. Just buy a simple whey or plant (if you happen to be vegetarian/vegan) protein powder and mix with water or milk. No chemicals or garbage (unless stevia concerns you). You have to have protein to maintain muscle and some people don't get enough in their diet, especially older people. I try to get about 50 grams a day from protein powder. The rest come from whole foods (eggs, meats, vegetables, almond/cashew milk, whole almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc., simple oatmeal, peanut butter). I shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight each day.
BoatlessinOC likes this.
RipTideBBQ is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,360
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by houtxfisher View Post
No, I don't know anybody. My friends and I are all super healthy though. Only drink water, source our vegetables from our pesticide free gardens, no red meat, only fish that we caught ourselves, feed our dog a raw diet and then humblebrag about it on boating websites. But, I suppose someone is buying it? Probably the idiots that buy sodas and such...
Originally Posted by WeeKilt View Post


good answer
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:07 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Todd, NC
Posts: 897
Default

i drink them in lieu of a piece of protein -- I usually mix with water when out of the home but will use unsweetened almond milk as the mixer -- makes for a great, creamy, chocolate dessert-like drink. 75% daily calcium, 200 calories, 25g protein -- great for a partial meal replacement

Check out BSN Syntha-6 on amazon, start with the 2lbs of chocolate. My wife could probably live off their chocolate shakes
porcha is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 683
Default

Yep 2 scoops post workout 5 days per week
MedicalManagement is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 05:13 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boca Grande,FL
Posts: 1,655
Default

Yes, protein shake everyday for breakfast. 2 scoops.
haneyrm is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

I used to have one after every weight lifting workout, 2 scoops with skim milk and ice. It would count as my lunch too. But I have a bad shoulder now so I can't lift anymore for bulk so I do what I can to stay in shape (more cardio than heavy lifting) and I don't drink them. I actually enjoyed them (always vanilla).
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:20 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kent Narrows, MD
Posts: 7,090
Default

Originally Posted by bingo91799 View Post
my wife drinks one everyday
pics of protein shake
KJS and billinstuart like this.
Elusive is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: cape cod
Posts: 844
Default

Originally Posted by RipTideBBQ View Post
"don't do anything but make you gain muscle"..... that's what they are for. Just buy a simple whey or plant (if you happen to be vegetarian/vegan) protein powder and mix with water or milk. No chemicals or garbage (unless stevia concerns you). You have to have protein to maintain muscle and some people don't get enough in their diet, especially older people. I try to get about 50 grams a day from protein powder. The rest come from whole foods (eggs, meats, vegetables, almond/cashew milk, whole almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc., simple oatmeal, peanut butter). I shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight each day.
I think u might have missed the point of this thread kind sir.
cman55 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:42 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 23,015
Default

Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
Me, I am the "Super Dave" of the health food world. I only drink water (sparingly of course) that is hauled down from the top of Mt. Everest by native Sherpas who have had the necessary training to ensure no unwanted chemicals make their way into the water, osmosis and all that.

Any of you folks that drink anything else are bound to suffer from all of the poisons you are drinking in your bottled water.

I have spoke.
My god..are you dead?
billinstuart is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread