Notices
Like Tree6Likes

Rivian electric truck, anyone?

Old 02-11-2019, 06:25 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default Rivian electric truck, anyone?

In a nut shell, it is ugly IMO, that said prices are ball parked at 70k, 80K and 90K, 3 battery packs, 230 mile range 0-60 in under 5 seconds, 300 mile range and 400 mile range bring you 800 total HP and 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Anyone for an IPO?
And it is said to tow 11K.


http://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/05/r...#slide-7476955
YFMF is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,736
Default

In before all of the EV haters.
Lorne Greene is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:39 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,087
Default

I find it hard to believe Rivian can hit those performance targets AND price targets, but impressive that they're making the claims.

Last edited by Flot; 02-12-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Flot is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 418
Default

This needs a dose of reality. How do you go from a hand built model to production in a year? It took Tesla 5 years and about a billion $ in engineering and tooling.

Some other challenges to contend with:

The market requirements for trucks are generally not well suited to EV platforms in their current state.

Automakers have been leaving the rust belt as fast as you can say ev and this Co is going after a defunct Mitsubishi plant?

Ev credits winding down and no longer an appetite to subsidize from Washington.

I give this slightly better odds than the green dream for success.

Im calling this one a vapor ware play....
TheJetty is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,077
Default

The truck looks really cute but as TheJetty stated above I don’t see people lining up to buy one. Way to many hurtles to go over before it becomes more than a novelty

There was a thread last week about Ford coming out with an electric F150. If it comes with an 8’ bed and XL or XLT trim package and could tow a 5000lb trailer 150 mikes or so and can be in the 45-55K rang I would jump all over testing one for my business.
bjm9818 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 242
Default

I’ve had a deposit in for a while now. If they can live up to the claims it should be an awesome family-hauler. If not I won’t take delivery. I will tell you that we’re on our second Tesla and despite what all the haters will say they are awesome vehicles for what we need. The technology and features are just unmatched.

Flame away. .
kurttruk, Fish_DOut and SOSC like this.
jkujawa is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:47 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh & Surf City, NC
Posts: 12,837
Default

Originally Posted by jkujawa View Post
I’ve had a deposit in for a while now. If they can live up to the claims it should be an awesome family-hauler. If not I won’t take delivery. I will tell you that we’re on our second Tesla and despite what all the haters will say they are awesome vehicles for what we need. The technology and features are just unmatched.

Flame away. .
My son just took his crew to our beach house. He rode with one of his buddies with a Tesla. They questioned me about our outside outlet. I told them it is gfi protected and it likes to trip for no apparent reason so it would be best to bring a decent quality ext cord and plug into an inside outlet. For this 150 mile (one way) trip they elected to stop at a brewery and fast charge. I'm not sure if they stopped on the way back as well. He doesn't have the top model (2nd one down) and I don't know the range but he didn't trust it for 300 miles round trip.

I love the concept of electric and as soon as they get the range to 400-500 miles with a small gas/diesel onboard charger that fully recharges it in 10 minutes I'll be interested.

I bet AOC will come up with an idea to lower a wheel to turn a generator so it can recharge simultaneously. I'm pretty sure she believes in perpetual motion type stuff.
baypro21 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On The Razors Edge
Posts: 9,934
Default

Jesus, the front end is is ugly as hell!
What's the range towing a 8000lb boat??


Last edited by Just1more; 02-12-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Just1more is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh & Surf City, NC
Posts: 12,837
Default

Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
Jesus, the front end is is ugly as hell!
What's the range towing a 8000lb boat??
1/5 of the advertised range.
baypro21 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by TheJetty View Post
This needs a dose of reality. How do you go from a hand built model to production in a year? It took Tesla 5 years and about a billion $ in engineering and tooling.

Some other challenges to contend with:

The market requirements for trucks are generally not well suited to EV platforms in their current state.

Automakers have been leaving the rust belt as fast as you can say ev and this Co is going after a defunct Mitsubishi plant?

Ev credits winding down and no longer an appetite to subsidize from Washington.

I give this slightly better odds than the green dream for success.

Im calling this one a vapor ware play....
I don't know . . . they've been around for ten years already and keep employing more people every year. They seem to be taking a more cautious approach than Tesla. Here's a historical summary of the company from Wikipedia . . .


Rivian is an automaker and automotive technology company developing products and services related to sustainable transportation. The company was founded in 2009[5]
[6] by founder and CEO Robert 'RJ' Scaringe, who had graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Sloan Automotive Laboratory
[5]
[6] with a doctorate in mechanical engineering.[7]

The company changed its name from Mainstream Motors to Avera Automotive, and it was renamed Rivian Automotive in 2011.[5]
[6] That year Scaringe said the company had plans to release a car with gas mileage of up to 60 miles per gallon, or 3.92 liters/100 km, and a projected cost in the mid-US$20,000 range.[11] Rivian planned to release its first production car in 2013, with other models following in 2014.[12] These cars were never released as the company shifted its focus to autonomous[5] electric vehicles in 2011.[7]
[13]

In 2013 the company relocated its headquarters from Florida to Livonia, Michigan to be closer to key suppliers.[14] Rivian received a large investment and grew significantly in 2015, opening research facilities in Michigan and the Bay Area.[15] Rivian began working exclusively on electric autonomous vehicles, specifically building an “entire ecosystem” of related products.[5] It also began gearing its prototypes towards the “ride-sharing and driverless car markets."[16]

Name:  220px-Rivian_Automotive_Prototype.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  9.6 KB
A 2011 prototype from Rivian, introduced by ScaringeIt was reported in September 2016 that Rivian was negotiating to buy a manufacturing plant formerly owned by Mitsubishi Motors in Normal, Illinois.[17]
[6] In January 2017, Rivian acquired the plant[17]
[15] and its manufacturing contents for $16 million,[8]
[6] with the plant to become Rivian’s primary North American manufacturing facility.[5] Rivian’s acquisition of a near production-ready facility instead of building a new factory[15] has been likened to Tesla's acquisition of the NUMMI plant in California.[8]
[6] The company received a $1 million grant and a five-year tax abatement from Normal contingent on meeting employment targets and investing $40.5 million over five years.[5] Rivian also received $49.5 million in tax credits from the state government; these credits are also contingent upon meeting employment targets and investing at least $175 million into the site by 2024.[8]
[6]

Rivian employed around 100 people at the end of 2016,[16]
[14] and that number had grown to 160 by August 2017.[14] Sumitomo Corporation made a “strategic investment” in Rivian in December 2017,[7]
[18]
[9] and Rivian reported that its alpha prototypes were complete and undergoing testing.[18] Also that month, Rivian revealed its first two products: an electric five-passenger pickup truck and an electric seven-passenger SUV,[9]
[7]
[13]provisionally named the A1T and AIC respectively.[19]With both vehicles unveiled at the LA Auto Show in November 2018,[13]
[10] production is scheduled to begin in 2020[7] with the truck to launch first.[9] Both vehicles were described as ready for rough terrain and semi-autonomous, and the company outlined a plan for its next generation of models to be fully autonomous.[10]

Rivian had 250 employees at the start of 2018.[7] In May 2018, Rivian received $200 million in debt financing from Standard Chartered Bank,[13] bringing total raised funds upwards of $450 million.[9] Other investors at the time included Abdul Latif Jameel.[13]
[20] As of 2019, Rivian employs 700 people[3] across facilities in Michigan, Illinois, and California. Around 50 of those employees were in Normal, putting Rivian ahead of its local job-creation targets.[21]
[7]
SOSC is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 197
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
In a nut shell, it is ugly IMO, that said prices are ball parked at 70k, 80K and 90K, 3 battery packs, 230 mile range 0-60 in under 5 seconds, 300 mile range and 400 mile range bring you 800 total HP and 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Anyone for an IPO?
And it is said to tow 11K.


http://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/05/r...#slide-7476955
Towing 11k for what 2 hours max? What about when it is cold (up to 40% reduction in capacity)? I like electric vehicles but I do not think the towing on this truck will be useful for anything but local towing. I do believe it will be a lot of fun to drive and it will tote a kayak in the bed!
jgatorman is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:32 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 563
Default

It should tow my 16' Express aluminum boat 40 miles and back with no problems.
I just need to see how they hold up long term
99yam40 is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:35 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by baypro21 View Post
I love the concept of electric and as soon as they get the range to 400-500 miles with a small gas/diesel onboard charger that fully recharges it in 10 minutes I'll be interested.

I bet AOC will come up with an idea to lower a wheel to turn a generator so it can recharge simultaneously. I'm pretty sure she believes in perpetual motion type stuff.
I always thought the induction idea looked promising, but it would take a large one-time infrastructure modification effort.

https://news.stanford.edu/2017/06/14...electric-cars/
SOSC is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 2,244
Default

Originally Posted by jkujawa View Post
I’ve had a deposit in for a while now. If they can live up to the claims it should be an awesome family-hauler. If not I won’t take delivery. I will tell you that we’re on our second Tesla and despite what all the haters will say they are awesome vehicles for what we need. The technology and features are just unmatched.

Flame away. .
Being that their sales are dealer direct who did they say would service the vehicle if it has a problem?
bikem is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 805
Default

Originally Posted by baypro21 View Post
My son just took his crew to our beach house. He rode with one of his buddies with a Tesla. They questioned me about our outside outlet. I told them it is gfi protected and it likes to trip for no apparent reason so it would be best to bring a decent quality ext cord and plug into an inside outlet. For this 150 mile (one way) trip they elected to stop at a brewery and fast charge. I'm not sure if they stopped on the way back as well. He doesn't have the top model (2nd one down) and I don't know the range but he didn't trust it for 300 miles round trip.

I love the concept of electric and as soon as they get the range to 400-500 miles with a small gas/diesel onboard charger that fully recharges it in 10 minutes I'll be interested.

I bet AOC will come up with an idea to lower a wheel to turn a generator so it can recharge simultaneously. I'm pretty sure she believes in perpetual motion type stuff.
Once her multi trillion dollar new green deal goes into effect, everything will have to work on PFM because there will be no electricity to charge the required electric only cars.
mcsd63 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,292
Default

Ford is going to build an electric F150.

Also an electric Mustang.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...uck-confirmed/
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bloomington, IL & Manasota Key, FL
Posts: 50
Default

I live in Bloomington/Normal and used to work for Mitsubishi Motors. I have a few friends that have gone back to Rivian. The insider word is that the CEO is very connected to some extremely wealthy folks probably from his time at MIT. His first stab at this electric vehicle game started off rocky so he's kind of gone under the radar until the recent LA auto show. As a taxpayer in the county...I was very skeptical that this venture wasn't a scam when it was first announced Rivian bought the former MMNA plant. I now believe it's going to happen. Don't be surprised if an English sports car, F1 team, with Orange as their primary color isn't announced as a partner sometime in the future.

Carry on,

Sidney
Sidney64 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:05 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 704
Default

Just what the "man bunners" need to tow their yaks to Starbucks with!

My great grandfather drove a gas pickup, just like my grandfather, as does my dad and both my sons... someday my grandsons will deserve the same pleasure and customs!!!
HatchieLuvr is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:34 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,292
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
Just what the "man bunners" need to tow their yaks to Starbucks with!

My great grandfather drove a gas pickup, just like my grandfather, as does my dad and both my sons... someday my grandsons will deserve the same pleasure and customs!!!
My great grandfather depended on horses and buggies and steam locomotives for transportation. Glad I don't have to do that.

Electrics can already out perform gas/diesel vehicles. When they solve the range/recharge time problem internal combustion vehicles will become historic relics. Interesting bits of history used for parades. Sad in a way but inevitable. I can no more stop that than my great grandfather could have stopped the obsolescence of horses and buggies.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:44 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 730
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
Just what the "man bunners" need to tow their yaks to Starbucks with!

My great grandfather drove a gas pickup, just like my grandfather, as does my dad and both my sons... someday my grandsons will deserve the same pleasure and customs!!!
Your great-grandpa and his peers also died of TB and Pertussis. And your great-grandma had about a 50% chance of bleeding out during child birth.

Yeah, those were the good old days!
superjag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread