Notices
Like Tree59Likes

College Grrrr! Thanks UF!

Old 02-11-2019, 03:49 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,091
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
It's amazing the kind of money they'll pay kids for internships. My son is a freshman and didn't think he'd be able to get an internship until after his second year of school.

...he just landed one @ $30/hr. Orientation over spring break then full time in the summer.
Yup. Girl I knew did an internship at Exxon and was making something like $35/hr... And that was 13 years ago.

Holy crap.. That was 13 years ago.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Stuart FL
Posts: 320
Default

Originally Posted by drowning shrimp View Post
Son goes to an All Boys private high school here in Miami,All AP it Honors classes,dual enrollment .
Had acceptable SAT 1390 and ACT 26 scores GPA 4.0.
Really wanted to go to UF to study engineering. Has already been accepted to FSU ,FIU amd Purdue even.
Would love Purdue for engineering but canít afford it .
Son immediately unfriended UF from whatever you unfriend someone from.
The real kick in the balls is another classmate got accepted to UF . Had lower GPA and SAT scores then my son did.
The only reason that kid made the minimum to apply was the help he received from my Son.
that's a blessing he will thank you later for sending him to Tallahassee!! Wheres that vagina emoji....
Rundeep is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM
  #63  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 10,962
Default

Some important things to note:
1) UF isn't the be-all end-all of schools. It's not Ivy league either.
2) If your child goes somewhere else for a year, they stand a pretty good chance at being able to transfer in.
3) While it's true that some companies recruit from certain schools, it's the exception, not the rule. Most places screen candidates based on experience, keywords, and whether or not they have a 4 year degree.
4) Most of the companies that do recruit from certain schools are NOT recruiting from UF - they are recruiting from Harvard, Cornell, and the like.
jobowker is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lusby, MD
Posts: 1,011
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
when its all said and done, no one really cares what school you graduated from!
I'm retired now, but I can remember several times throughout my career where someone's attitude changed significantly after they found out where I went to school.
Barefoot is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Posts: 152
Default

Thanks for all replies.Great advise for sure.To answer a few questions
Acceptance letters are reviewed and advise to content is given by a counselor at present school. This is pretty much all this lady does . She is well know and very good at it. Do t think he would have gotten offers if has if not for them.
We have not given up on Purdue yet. Financial aid and grants will play a part In the decision.
I personally wanted him to go to FSU as I have a good friend there that has offered him a part time job on campus ,Providing I teach him to cut keys and pin up locks , He would also keep a distant eye on him. not going to push FSU on him .We will see what happens .
Kid is in DC now on trip will ask about the weighted amd non weighted GPA as I am not 100 percent .
drowning shrimp is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 PM
  #66  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere on the Big Bend.
Posts: 811
Default

From someone who lives in Gainesville. 4.0 doesn't typically get it done. Especially for the most competitive degrees like engineering. I can't tell you how many local kids I know with a 4.0 who are legacies who didn't get in.
Poppin cork is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 AM
  #67  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,637
Default

Originally Posted by drowning shrimp View Post
Thanks for all replies.Great advise for sure.To answer a few questions
Acceptance letters are reviewed and advise to content is given by a counselor at present school. This is pretty much all this lady does . She is well know and very good at it. Do t think he would have gotten offers if has if not for them.
We have not given up on Purdue yet. Financial aid and grants will play a part In the decision.
I personally wanted him to go to FSU as I have a good friend there that has offered him a part time job on campus ,Providing I teach him to cut keys and pin up locks , He would also keep a distant eye on him. not going to push FSU on him .We will see what happens .
Kid is in DC now on trip will ask about the weighted amd non weighted GPA as I am not 100 percent .
Plenty of other good engineering schools on the east coast. My father went to Purdue (not for engineering) and I can't imagine leaving Florida for west Lafayette, IN. Has he looked into Clemson, Ga Tech, Va Tech, NCSU? I suppose timing may be an issue at this point.
wahoo wacker is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 AM
  #68  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,174
Default

I'm a UF graduate. It took me almost 17 years to complete my degree though. I even had to reapply and be re-admitted because of my hiatus. During that hiatus, I started a career, got married and had 2 kids. That meant some of my classes were "expired" so I took them at the local community college and transferred them in. My degree says UF not "he took 17 years off and had to transfer community college classes back in." It also says I graduated with honors which is something that would nevber have happened when I was 18.

If UF is where he wants to be then there is no excuse for not getting there. The PACE program is a great program as well. Sure you don't get the on campus lifestyle for the first two years but you can certainly move to G'ville and experience almost everything esle if you really want to.
Sprockets likes this.
k9medic is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 AM
  #69  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 256
Default

National Rankings for Engineering Schools

Good luck to your child and his desires to go where he wants. I hope it works out. If he got into Purdue for real Iíd find a way to try and make that happen if any way possible. My daughter is in mechanical and aerospace engineering at UF. She had a 5.5gpa when she graduated high school, a 1500+ SAT score, got her associates degree in high school, volunteered 10 hours a week with handicapped kids, and danced with a professional ballet company- again all during high school. Those are the kids that have to be competed with. Thereís not a kid in her program at UF that had under a weighted GPA of 5.2 in high school along with a substantial list of volunteer hours, clubs, etc. Itís extraordinarily difficult to get in. As others have said, I graduated from UF in 98 and I couldnít get in today considering the caliber that they accept.

For those who keep bashing UF (without merit), look up UFís national rank for Engineering. Itís tied with Yale, ahead of many other Ivy League schools, and the next closest ranked Florida school is UCF ranked at 80th in the country.

The other kid that has lower scores likely had some other attributes that got him in vs your child this time around. Donít let that stop him if thatís where he really wants to go. He can boost his chances by retesting or adding other experience to his background and re-applying.

GO GATORS!


Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
Some important things to note:
1) UF isn't the be-all end-all of schools. It's not Ivy league either.
2) If your child goes somewhere else for a year, they stand a pretty good chance at being able to transfer in.
3) While it's true that some companies recruit from certain schools, it's the exception, not the rule. Most places screen candidates based on experience, keywords, and whether or not they have a 4 year degree.
4) Most of the companies that do recruit from certain schools are NOT recruiting from UF - they are recruiting from Harvard, Cornell, and the like.
Sprockets likes this.

Last edited by thecatch22; 02-12-2019 at 06:37 AM.
thecatch22 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 AM
  #70  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,139
Default

Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm retired now, but I can remember several times throughout my career where someone's attitude changed significantly after they found out where I went to school.
i would not want to work for someone with that kinda of stuck up attitude! name of the school means nothing other than oh look at me, i spent 10 times the money for the same degree. it does not mean you will perform better in the field.
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM
  #71  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mandeville LA / Orange Beach AL
Posts: 3,363
Default

Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
National Rankings for Engineering Schools

Good luck to your child and his desires to go where he wants. I hope it works out. If he got into Purdue for real Iíd find a way to try and make that happen if any way possible. My daughter is in mechanical and aerospace engineering at UF. She had a 5.5gpa when she graduated high school, a 1500+ SAT score, got her associates degree in high school, volunteered 10 hours a week with handicapped kids, and danced with a professional ballet company- again all during high school. Those are the kids that have to be competed with. Thereís not a kid in her program at UF that had under a weighted GPA of 5.2 in high school along with a substantial list of volunteer hours, clubs, etc. Itís extraordinarily difficult to get in. As others have said, I graduated from UF in 98 and I couldnít get in today considering the caliber that they accept.

For those who keep bashing UF (without merit), look up UFís national rank for Engineering. Itís tied with Yale, ahead of many other Ivy League schools, and the next closest ranked Florida school is UCF ranked at 80th in the country.

The other kid that has lower scores likely had some other attributes that got him in vs your child this time around. Donít let that stop him if thatís where he really wants to go. He can boost his chances by retesting or adding other experience to his background and re-applying.

GO GATORS!



I looked at the rankings you posted and I have worked with some engineers from those very highly touted schools like MIT. All you could do with them is lock them in a room and feed them pizza under the door. A year later you would get some kind of left field research memo. Most have never built anything in their life much less ever rode or worked on a mini bike. Most donít even own a pocket knife. With programs like Solidworks these new engineers can draw whatever they want. The problem is the have never welded, machined or fabricated anything. So some old crusty Manufacturing Engineer like me has to come back and completely redesign the doodad so you can manufacture it. Engineers with real hands on experience are the ones that make the world go round. I never had much as a kid that actually worked or ran when I got it. You find a guy or girl that grew up on a farm or their dad ran a shrimp boat or owned a body shop where the kid worked. Chances are they will make a pretty good engineer. Most these days have no clue how to do anything mechanical. My kids included. My son is in his second year at LA Tech (Bio Med Engineering) he would have a hard time changing the oil in his truck, but he is a pro at computer games.



Last edited by H2OBUG; 02-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.
H2OBUG is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 AM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,007
Default

Originally Posted by oceanelectric1 View Post
Dick comment.
Well, he's a dick so...ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ...
DFreedom is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:17 AM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 2,033
Default

Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
National Rankings for Engineering Schools

Good luck to your child and his desires to go where he wants. I hope it works out. If he got into Purdue for real Iíd find a way to try and make that happen if any way possible. My daughter is in mechanical and aerospace engineering at UF. She had a 5.5gpa when she graduated high school, a 1500+ SAT score, got her associates degree in high school, volunteered 10 hours a week with handicapped kids, and danced with a professional ballet company- again all during high school. Those are the kids that have to be competed with. Thereís not a kid in her program at UF that had under a weighted GPA of 5.2 in high school along with a substantial list of volunteer hours, clubs, etc. Itís extraordinarily difficult to get in. As others have said, I graduated from UF in 98 and I couldnít get in today considering the caliber that they accept.

For those who keep bashing UF (without merit), look up UFís national rank for Engineering. Itís tied with Yale, ahead of many other Ivy League schools, and the next closest ranked Florida school is UCF ranked at 80th in the country.

The other kid that has lower scores likely had some other attributes that got him in vs your child this time around. Donít let that stop him if thatís where he really wants to go. He can boost his chances by retesting or adding other experience to his background and re-applying.

GO GATORS!




Yale is for rich dopes! It's not an engineering school by any stretch of the imagination! Why you even mentioned it makes me scratch my head! UF is a great school, my friend is Dean of Engineering there and she is one of the most practical, salt of the earth, smarter than anyone, straight shooterx there is! With her in control, their program will only continue to rise in reputation. That said I would get your kid to Purdue! Great school, great engineering program, great alumni support, and getting out of your home state comfort zone is part of what college is all about!
Zardoz is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
  #74  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,139
Default

Originally Posted by Windwood View Post
dude, dont ask for pics of his daughters. Thats messed up.
stick around kid, you'll learn a thing or two!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 AM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 653
Default

I'm a recruiter that focuses on jobs from $180k-$275k, show me a kid that worked two jobs to pay his way through college at a medium level school, over a spoiled brat with a prestigious college, I'll pick the kid that worked through mediocre college every time. When I see Harvard-Princeton-Yale on resumes- I hit the delete button...
k9medic likes this.
Gunner38 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 AM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,091
Default

Originally Posted by H2OBUG View Post
I looked at the rankings you posted and I have worked with some engineers from those very highly touted schools like MIT. All you could do with them is lock them in a room and feed them pizza under the door. A year later you would get some kind of left field research memo. Most have never built anything in their life much less ever rode or worked on a mini bike. Most donít even own a pocket knife. With programs like Solidworks these new engineers can draw whatever they want. The problem is the have never welded, machined or fabricated anything. So some old crusty Manufacturing Engineer like me has to come back and completely redesign the doodad so you can manufacture it. Engineers with real hands on experience are the ones that make the world go round. I never had much as a kid that actually worked or ran when I got it. You find a guy or girl that grew up on a farm or their dad ran a shrimp boat or owned a body shop where the kid worked. Chances are they will make a pretty good engineer. Most these days have no clue how to do anything mechanical. My kids included. My son is in his second year at LA Tech (Bio Med Engineering) he would have a hard time changing the oil in his truck, but he is a pro at computer games.


This. I see it all the time in my engineering career.

Yale...lol. no freaking way. Give me the guy who went to UNC Charlotte and does engine swaps in his spare time.

Or girl.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM
  #77  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,301
Default

Originally Posted by Gunner38 View Post
I'm a recruiter that focuses on jobs from $180k-$275k, show me a kid that worked two jobs to pay his way through college at a medium level school, over a spoiled brat with a prestigious college, I'll pick the kid that worked through mediocre college every time. When I see Harvard-Princeton-Yale on resumes- I hit the delete button...
Well, that post reinforces my opinion of, and experience with, exec recruiters...
nicecast is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM
  #78  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Default

I have a good buddy who is engineering professor at UF. I'd be happy to tell him you're a friend of mine, and maybe he can put in a good word at admissions. I know he would. be happy to try. What kind of engineering is he interested in?
nicecast likes this.
Fish Haid is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:50 PM
  #79  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 565
Default

Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
National Rankings for Engineering Schools

Good luck to your child and his desires to go where he wants. I hope it works out. If he got into Purdue for real Iíd find a way to try and make that happen if any way possible. My daughter is in mechanical and aerospace engineering at UF. She had a 5.5gpa when she graduated high school, a 1500+ SAT score, got her associates degree in high school, volunteered 10 hours a week with handicapped kids, and danced with a professional ballet company- again all during high school. Those are the kids that have to be competed with. Thereís not a kid in her program at UF that had under a weighted GPA of 5.2 in high school along with a substantial list of volunteer hours, clubs, etc. Itís extraordinarily difficult to get in. As others have said, I graduated from UF in 98 and I couldnít get in today considering the caliber that they accept.

For those who keep bashing UF (without merit), look up UFís national rank for Engineering. Itís tied with Yale, ahead of many other Ivy League schools, and the next closest ranked Florida school is UCF ranked at 80th in the country.

The other kid that has lower scores likely had some other attributes that got him in vs your child this time around. Donít let that stop him if thatís where he really wants to go. He can boost his chances by retesting or adding other experience to his background and re-applying.

GO GATORS!



what is a 5.5? I thought 5.0 was the highest?
Windwood is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 PM
  #80  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mistersippi
Posts: 2,485
Default

Have him submit his application again but check the box that says he is American Indian.
JCC123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread