The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   South Carolina Nuclear power plant mess (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/986803-south-carolina-nuclear-power-plant-mess.html)

edwardh1 02-08-2019 02:34 PM

South Carolina Nuclear power plant mess
 
what is the "settlement" to the rate payers supposed to be- How much? Any rumors?

PMaine 02-08-2019 02:35 PM

Settlement? How about a rate increase?

mikefloyd 02-08-2019 02:37 PM

Why not let the people who blocked the construction pay for it.

km1125 02-08-2019 03:05 PM

I'd say sign up some volunteers and sneak in there at night and build the damn thing.

cphilip 02-08-2019 04:44 PM


Originally Posted by edwardh1 (Post 12225115)
what is the "settlement" to the rate payers supposed to be- How much? Any rumors?

The first rumor was $1000.... the most recent ones was "up yer arse".

autobaun70 02-08-2019 04:48 PM

-8 billion. At best.

KJS 02-08-2019 04:49 PM

Its "nucular".

Qb1rdman 02-08-2019 04:52 PM


Originally Posted by edwardh1 (Post 12225115)
what is the "settlement" to the rate payers supposed to be- How much? Any rumors?

One of the regional forums might produce more informed opinions on this. Personally, I have no idea what you're asking.

JP11283 02-08-2019 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by KJS (Post 12225494)
Its "nucular".

Wrong. The 'S' is silent.

LI Sound Grunt 02-08-2019 09:05 PM

WOW! First I heard of this. This was hard to find the cause of this in the news stories on line then I found this. All because Westinghouse went bankrupt? No one can take over and finish? Looked like a State Private venture. I sorta like Nukes to provide a mix of electric source for national security reasons and such. They just don't seem to be making it anymore. Kinda sad. We have had different problems here with Millstone . End result is I guess Gas and Oil is too cheap now and can't compete.

I guess this is the one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil...rating_Station

UT_VOLS13 02-09-2019 04:25 AM


Originally Posted by cphilip (Post 12225472)
The first rumor was $1000.... the most recent ones was "up yer arse".

Yep

Bamby 02-09-2019 04:44 AM

Source:


Customers have already been billed some $2 billion for the reactors. Under current regulations, the utilities continue to collect $37 million per month. That means the average ratepayer is paying an additional $250 per year, or 18 percent of the bill. This could go on for 60 years. “You will literally have your children and grandchildren pay for this mistake,” says Bursey.

km1125 02-09-2019 05:56 AM

This part:
" Westinghouse bought thousands of hand-machined nuts that cost $114 each, rather than sturdier, off-the-shelf nuts that retailed for $2.20, according to The Post and Courier. There was a reason for that: Westinghouse got to charge 15 percent overhead on everything it spent. Every thousand nuts meant $17,100 in revenue for the company, rather than the $330 it would have collected if it used the cheaper version. "

That might be a dramatic oversimplification, but if it's close to the truth wouldn't that be some kind of fraud that someone should go to jail for?

rudeskawn 02-09-2019 06:37 AM


Originally Posted by km1125 (Post 12226423)
This part:
" Westinghouse bought thousands of hand-machined nuts that cost $114 each, rather than sturdier, off-the-shelf nuts that retailed for $2.20, according to The Post and Courier. There was a reason for that: Westinghouse got to charge 15 percent overhead on everything it spent. Every thousand nuts meant $17,100 in revenue for the company, rather than the $330 it would have collected if it used the cheaper version. "

That might be a dramatic oversimplification, but if it's close to the truth wouldn't that be some kind of fraud that someone should go to jail for?

Without knowing what system the nuts were going into it is a dramatic oversimplification. When we are talking about the high energy systems of a nuclear power plant the nuts from Lowe’s won’t cut it.

bikem 02-09-2019 07:09 AM

The whole thing is a mess. I heard the dam and lock system need billions in repair and the lakes cost a lot to maintain. Because of losses and lawsuits Santee Cooper has sold the lakes to a private company. The state is trying to make the private company spend a huge amount of money to build some sort of river system instead of restoring the lock because of the decreasing numbers of some rare stirgun that won't use the lock. The private company is threatening to drain the lakes if they force them to do that. My info may be off but thats the just of it. Also locals should have already received a credit from the power company for the rate increases to cover the nuclear plant. Mine was about $400.00

FishLife 02-09-2019 07:30 AM


Originally Posted by bikem (Post 12226635)
The whole thing is a mess. I heard the dam and lock system need billions in repair and the lakes cost a lot to maintain. Because of losses and lawsuits Santee Cooper has sold the lakes to a private company. The state is trying to make the private company spend a huge amount of money to build some sort of river system instead of restoring the lock because of the decreasing numbers of some rare stirgun that won't use the lock. The private company is threatening to drain the lakes if they force them to do that. My info may be off but thats the just of it. Also locals should have already received a credit from the power company for the rate increases to cover the nuclear plant. Mine was about $400.00

The Santee lakes, Marion and Moultrie, have not been sold....yet. There is a possibility that a private entity will take over the day-to-day operations, but for now, it is still state owned. The likelihood of the system being drained is very remote.

https://www.thestate.com/opinion/op-...224570735.html

bikem 02-09-2019 07:54 AM


Originally Posted by FishLife (Post 12226690)
The Santee lakes, Marion and Moultrie, have not been sold....yet. There is a possibility that a private entity will take over the day-to-day operations, but for now, it is still state owned. The likelihood of the system being drained is very remote.

https://www.thestate.com/opinion/op-...224570735.html

My mistake, I though my info might be a little off. I agree draining the lakes is nothing more than a negotiating tool.

Claim 02-09-2019 08:13 AM

When Dominion originally offered to buy SCE&G, the offer came with a nice rebate to customers. Alas no, the state legislature would have none of that....they held out until the rebate/refund to customers was taken off the table and a utility surcharge to pay for this mess was passed on to us customers. It's such a fubar, we could probably fill a prison with the eff'ers that back door frauded SC on this abandoned nuclear plant.

SeaNile Boater 02-09-2019 08:13 AM


Originally Posted by km1125 (Post 12226423)
This part:
" Westinghouse bought thousands of hand-machined nuts that cost $114 each, rather than sturdier, off-the-shelf nuts that retailed for $2.20, according to The Post and Courier. There was a reason for that: Westinghouse got to charge 15 percent overhead on everything it spent. Every thousand nuts meant $17,100 in revenue for the company, rather than the $330 it would have collected if it used the cheaper version. "

That might be a dramatic oversimplification, but if it's close to the truth wouldn't that be some kind of fraud that someone should go to jail for?

Lots of these "nuts" weigh hundreds of lbs. and legitimate for the application on some systems. Your "reason" is severely flawed. Everything is under strict audits.

NCSUboater 02-09-2019 08:16 AM

The nuts aren't that unrealistic. I once designed some titanium bolts for a Periscope that were upwards of $600 a pop.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.