Notices

Precision Rifle

Old 12-22-2018, 09:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 151
Received 236 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Precision Rifle

About 10 years ago I built a precision Rifle around a Surgeon action. Since then I've seen more precision action companies producing rem 700 clones. I hear alot of good about Defiance and I'm in the market for another. Anyone have hands on experience with it or any other custom actions?
Old 12-23-2018, 01:28 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SE NC
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Domoe View Post
About 10 years ago I built a precision Rifle around a Surgeon action. Since then I've seen more precision action companies producing rem 700 clones. I hear alot of good about Defiance and I'm in the market for another. Anyone have hands on experience with it or any other custom actions?
I've got a defiance deviant hunter at the gunsmith right now but have yet to put hands on it since it was shipped straight to him. I'm looking forward to finding out though.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:54 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 34
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I’ve firsthand experience with a significant amount of custom actions. Buy the new Bighorn Origin, it can’t be bested for the price. They hit it out of the park.

i have my second on order for a new 223ai build.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Stuart, Fl
Posts: 234
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Domoe View Post
About 10 years ago I built a precision Rifle around a Surgeon action. Since then I've seen more precision action companies producing rem 700 clones. I hear alot of good about Defiance and I'm in the market for another. Anyone have hands on experience with it or any other custom actions?
I am curious as to what distance you shoot and for what purpose......Precision Rifle Series?? or something else......

rich
Old 12-23-2018, 04:17 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 151
Received 236 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ansel View Post
I am curious as to what distance you shoot and for what purpose......Precision Rifle Series?? or something else......

rich
Mainly shooting steel. Furthest I've shot so far is 600 yards. But I want to get into competition shooting and have tactical capabilities as well.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:21 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,198
Likes: 0
Received 1,261 Likes on 687 Posts
Default

Not sure what your budget is but have you checked out Accuracy International’s AT?

I have a folding stock AT, PMII 5x25 MSR reticle on a Spur mount and doubt any custom build will be better even before taking in to account having the ability to switch barrels in under a minute . Fit and finish are amazing. I have the .308 and 6.5 creedmoor barrels.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,242
Received 3,755 Likes on 1,671 Posts
Default

Jarrett Rifles in Jackson, SC. 4" 3 shot groups at 800 yards with the Long Ranger.
Jarrett Rifle Models
Old 12-23-2018, 06:57 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 232
Received 1,219 Likes on 362 Posts
Default

I have a weatherby vanguard 270 weatherby magnum that I will put up against anything you can build for accuracy.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:18 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,387
Likes: 0
Received 1,642 Likes on 964 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tnhntr View Post
I have a weatherby vanguard 270 weatherby magnum that I will put up against anything you can build for accuracy.
What's the recoil on that sucker like compared to a 270 win?
Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,332
Likes: 0
Received 1,995 Likes on 986 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by raystein View Post
What's the recoil on that sucker like compared to a 270 win?
More painful.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:35 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulf Coast, MS
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 0
Received 193 Likes on 140 Posts
Default

Just get a Weatherby preferably Mark V

.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 335
Received 595 Likes on 273 Posts
Default


Defiance are great actions. I think, in my opinion, the Mausingfield by Is the best action out there. It combines the best of the controlled round feed of a Mauser and the footprint and trigger of a Remington 700. LRI in sturgis South Dakota is probably one of the best rifle builders out there. Where other custom shops are months to years out, Chad Dixon at LRI is weeks out with full custom builds. He helped design the mausingfield.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/produc...nt=11010912321

Old 12-23-2018, 07:52 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 151
Received 236 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tnhntr View Post
I have a weatherby vanguard 270 weatherby magnum that I will put up against anything you can build for accuracy.
loser buys beer?
Old 12-23-2018, 07:54 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulf Coast, MS
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 0
Received 193 Likes on 140 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Domoe View Post
loser buys beer?
If he wouldn’t take it, I would.

.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:56 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 151
Received 236 Likes on 132 Posts
Default


First time shooting my surgeon at 100
Old 12-23-2018, 07:57 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 335
Received 595 Likes on 273 Posts
Default

I have a simple Ruger precision in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 5-30x56 scope with a Scorpion King suppressor. We have a private range out to 1000, soon to 1200. It lots of fun.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 151
Received 236 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Old 12-23-2018, 08:03 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 335
Received 595 Likes on 273 Posts
Default


Here is my .223 rem 700 tactical 20” 3 shot group.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 151
Received 236 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bront Antwoord View Post

Defiance are great actions. I think, in my opinion, the Mausingfield by Is the best action out there. It combines the best of the controlled round feed of a Mauser and the footprint and trigger of a Remington 700. LRI in sturgis South Dakota is probably one of the best rifle builders out there. Where other custom shops are months to years out, Chad Dixon at LRI is weeks out with full custom builds. He helped design the mausingfield.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/produc...nt=11010912321

seems nicely built. I just prefer an integrated 20moa rail and recoil lug
Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 335
Received 595 Likes on 273 Posts
Default


Originally Posted by Domoe View Post
seems nicely built. I just prefer an integrated 20moa rail and recoil lug
the mausingfeild is. That looks like a trued 700 action.

This is a mausingfield

7 Ways the New ARC Rifle Action Blends the Best of Old & New - PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.