Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

DIY Speaker Cable - anyone roll their own?

Notices

DIY Speaker Cable - anyone roll their own?

Old 11-23-2018, 12:20 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default DIY Speaker Cable - anyone roll their own?

Upgrading my Stereo equipment and decided (after watching some videos and reading up) that I want to build my own speaker cables. Anyone else here build their own speaker cables? If so, post up some pics if you have 'em. Also any tips are also welcome!

Thanks
Old 11-23-2018, 12:25 PM
  #2  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,883
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,081 Posts
Default

LOL I just buy a spool of lamp cord.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:29 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,765
Likes: 0
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Default

Not knocking anyone looking to do anything from scratch themselves, other then personal gratification I'm not sure what you get out of building your own speaker wire though.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Not knocking anyone looking to do anything from scratch themselves, other then personal gratification I'm not sure what you get out of building your own speaker wire though.

I like doing little projects like this. I never seem to save any $, but I enjoy it.

Instead of this...






I want this...

Old 11-23-2018, 12:43 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,765
Likes: 0
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Default

Nicer look, but don't you do your best to hide it anyway?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:01 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Nicer look, but don't you do your best to hide it anyway?
Getting new bookshelf speakers to put on stands, so won't be able to hide the wire anyway. This way it will look more finished than bare wire. IMO.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:06 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,593
Received 677 Likes on 381 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cparkerc View Post
I like doing little projects like this. I never seem to save any $, but I enjoy it.

Instead of this...






I want this...

Not a fan of that type of connector. Every time Ive used one in the past they seem to spread apart.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:54 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,649
Likes: 0
Received 8,619 Likes on 2,351 Posts
Default

Just buy the wire longer than you need then trim to length and use standard connectors. It's simple.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:02 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,380
Likes: 0
Received 1,094 Likes on 610 Posts
Default

I've been published for my time spent and research into audio frequencies and common to fancy wire that can or may not be used for speaker wire. Don't ask me for the publication because I have long forgotten what happened 40 years ago.

My speakers (that are wrapped up in storage) have (I think it is 72 different wires) between the positive and negative terminals. My wires are hard wired directly to the crossover.
In a nut shell, every gauge of wire carries a different frequency. 10 gauge (which is Very Hard to work with) carries the lowest of lows whereas 48 gauge will carry the very highs (above what the human ear can detect - but you want that so the highs are not clipped). Now when tailoring the sound you can add gauges to make all frequencies well represented.
Then you can start to play with multi stand verse single strand wire. Oxygen free wire makes a difference and so the the sleeve covering the wire. Running multiple strands parallel to each other or have them intertwined (tightly or loosely). Do you start off using cheap wire or do you start off using wire that is worth 5-10 -$50.00 a foot?

I just finished looking for my record books but I'm not finding so I guess I must have thrown it out. I would say I have over 500 hours worth of research into wires for audio equipment.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:09 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,380
Likes: 0
Received 1,094 Likes on 610 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
Just buy the wire longer than you need then trim to length and use standard connectors. It's simple.
The problem with ANY connector (silver or gold) is the wire to connector is a connection that impedes the signal flow....it creates impedance.

Picture a water slide at your pool. Pour a 5 gallon bucket of water down the slide from the top and the water smoothly rushes down to the bottom. Now picture the same slide with a bunch of 6" rocks glued to the slide and you pouring another 5 gallon pail of water down the slide - you'll have white water, rapids and water spilling over the edge of the slide - a LOT of impedance. So the objective is to eliminate the amount of connection points via hard wiring using pure silver solder.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:16 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
I've been published for my time spent and research into audio frequencies and common to fancy wire that can or may not be used for speaker wire. Don't ask me for the publication because I have long forgotten what happened 40 years ago.

My speakers (that are wrapped up in storage) have (I think it is 72 different wires) between the positive and negative terminals. My wires are hard wired directly to the crossover.
In a nut shell, every gauge of wire carries a different frequency. 10 gauge (which is Very Hard to work with) carries the lowest of lows whereas 48 gauge will carry the very highs (above what the human ear can detect - but you want that so the highs are not clipped). Now when tailoring the sound you can add gauges to make all frequencies well represented.
Then you can start to play with multi stand verse single strand wire. Oxygen free wire makes a difference and so the the sleeve covering the wire. Running multiple strands parallel to each other or have them intertwined (tightly or loosely). Do you start off using cheap wire or do you start off using wire that is worth 5-10 -$50.00 a foot?

I just finished looking for my record books but I'm not finding so I guess I must have thrown it out. I would say I have over 500 hours worth of research into wires for audio equipment.
I have read a fair amount and it sure gets confusing. I am bi-wiring the speakers so am going with a 4 conductor, 12 gauge each, in a single casing. It has 127 strands of copper in each conductor. I will cover the 1/2" wire casing in expanding sleeve and finish off with shrink tube. I am doing banana plugs on the amplifier side and spades on the speaker side.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:17 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
The problem with ANY connector (silver or gold) is the wire to connector is a connection that impedes the signal flow....it creates impedance.

Picture a water slide at your pool. Pour a 5 gallon bucket of water down the slide from the top and the water smoothly rushes down to the bottom. Now picture the same slide with a bunch of 6" rocks glued to the slide and you pouring another 5 gallon pail of water down the slide - you'll have white water, rapids and water spilling over the edge of the slide - a LOT of impedance. So the objective is to eliminate the amount of connection points via hard wiring using pure silver solder.
The banana plugs and spades I am using are pure copper with no plating. Thanks for your input Garett, appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:23 PM
  #13  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,561
Received 3,240 Likes on 1,524 Posts
Default

make sure you always twist the strands counterclockwise

this will minimize the effects from the earth's rotation
Old 11-23-2018, 02:33 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Squidd Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nowhere near Uranus
Posts: 6,692
Likes: 0
Received 355 Likes on 170 Posts
Default

It is best not to play music through copper strand wire between first light and just after dusk during periods of high sunspot activity.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:54 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

RB and Squidd

I have also heard you get better sound if you solder the connections with the blood of a virgin maiden.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:56 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,380
Likes: 0
Received 1,094 Likes on 610 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cparkerc View Post
The banana plugs and spades I am using are pure copper with no plating. Thanks for your input Garett, appreciate it.
Silver or gold connectors are better than copper. And use electronic grade pure silver solder NOT silver solder used for plumbing.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:58 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,291
Received 687 Likes on 349 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cparkerc View Post
RB and Squidd

I have also heard you get better sound if you solder the connections with the blood of a virgin maiden.

Want to buy a virgin maiden ??
Old 11-23-2018, 02:59 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 5,956
Likes: 0
Received 418 Likes on 262 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
LOL I just buy a spool of lamp cord.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:08 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,380
Likes: 0
Received 1,094 Likes on 610 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cparkerc View Post
I have read a fair amount and it sure gets confusing. I am bi-wiring the speakers so am going with a 4 conductor, 12 gauge each, in a single casing. It has 127 strands of copper in each conductor. I will cover the 1/2" wire casing in expanding sleeve and finish off with shrink tube. I am doing banana plugs on the amplifier side and spades on the speaker side.
For passing the lower frequencies (20HZ and lower) solid core wire is better than multi strand. Again you want the wire to pass a signal lower than what the human ear can hear so what the ear hears is not clipped. Although 10 gauge wire is very difficult to work with 12 gauge is much easier and 12 gauge will get you down around the 20HZ mark.....and most humans can not hear down to 20HZ.

Now I don't believe in using the same amount of wires to the positive terminal as the negative I had a hard time proving (testing) if it was better to one extra wire to the positive terminal over the negative. The argument is if you have one extra wire going to the positive the speaker / crossover consumes what the negative wire will not return back to the amp. The other school of thought is if you have an extra wire on the negative side it allows for the signal to exit the speaker with less resistance. ???? In either case it is strongly said that using an uneven number is better than matched numbers.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:11 PM
  #20  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,561
Received 3,240 Likes on 1,524 Posts
Default

if you don't have your own pure power supply you are just wasting your time

that crap from the power company is too noisy

drives me crazy

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.