Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Would you buy a car that been "tuned"

Notices
Like Tree10Likes

Would you buy a car that been "tuned"

Old 10-02-2018, 02:04 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,905
Default

I had apr software on my old a4
sold it with 120k miles with no issues I would relate to the tune

I have an mk7 gti right now with 7k miles
My VW dealer is an apr plus dealer
So for about 1k they give you stage one and apr works with the dealer to pickup the drivetrain warranty
I plan on doing this at 10k (2nd oil change)
fjmaverick is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:17 PM
  #62  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,216
Default

Originally Posted by Turtle9343 View Post
No chance. 99% of people who add performance parts or tunes to their vehicles do it for one reason. To make it faster. I have no desire to buy something someone else has abused for X number of miles. I want no part of that.
I don't agree with you at all. I had my car tuned right after it was out of warranty. It boosted my RWHP by more than 10%, I had the tune done to have access to my cars full potential. Having the extra HP hasn't changed my driving habits what-so-ever. I have a 6 speed stick and I hated the "skip shift" that the factory had on my car and the tune removed this function so I could drive the car normally. The factory computer settings are mostly done to improve fuel efficiency so having these removed doesn't put the car in any additional risk of being abused. My car still has the rev limiter, stibilitrack and traction control are still active so all of the safety stuff still works as normal.

Having your car tuned isn't going to make you drive any differently than you did prior to having it tuned. If someone was going to abuse their car it's not like they would wait until they had it tuned to start abusing it.
RussH is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,905
Default

Vw/Audi cars aren't track monsters. The tunes are very safe and it's a lot of people's opinions it's the way the car should have come from the factory.
fjmaverick is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:39 PM
  #64  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,299
Default

Originally Posted by fjmaverick View Post
I had apr software on my old a4
sold it with 120k miles with no issues I would relate to the tune

I have an mk7 gti right now with 7k miles
My VW dealer is an apr plus dealer
So for about 1k they give you stage one and apr works with the dealer to pickup the drivetrain warranty
I plan on doing this at 10k (2nd oil change)
Did the A4 buyer care about the APR tune?
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 03:40 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,905
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Did the A4 buyer care about the APR tune?
They got the paperwork/brochure with it. They didn't seem interested or to care. The car was mint. Came from FL and sold it in NY but it was fwd.
fjmaverick is online now  
Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM
  #66  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,299
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I don't agree with you at all. I had my car tuned right after it was out of warranty. It boosted my RWHP by more than 10%, I had the tune done to have access to my cars full potential. Having the extra HP hasn't changed my driving habits what-so-ever. I have a 6 speed stick and I hated the "skip shift" that the factory had on my car and the tune removed this function so I could drive the car normally. The factory computer settings are mostly done to improve fuel efficiency so having these removed doesn't put the car in any additional risk of being abused. My car still has the rev limiter, stibilitrack and traction control are still active so all of the safety stuff still works as normal.

Having your car tuned isn't going to make you drive any differently than you did prior to having it tuned. If someone was going to abuse their car it's not like they would wait until they had it tuned to start abusing it.
An APR Stage 1 Tune for my Golf R would boost HP about 26% (294 hp-370 hp) and torque about the same. 76 additional HP can definitely put additional strain on your engine and driveline. Why would anybody spend $800 to get that HP and not use it?

That is why VW will void the warranty when they find the tune if you have a serious warranty claim. I would not buy a car that had ever been tuned due to the warranty problem and the wear and tear on the engine/driveline.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:53 PM
  #67  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 558
Default

I installed a “boostmax” on my 2015 f150 2.7 at 15k miles or so. It adds 40rwhp & unplugs with no reflashing of the ecu, no record of anything at all.
I’m now at 116k miles without issue & if I unplugged it, no one would know it was ever there. I left it installed for every dealer performed oil change while it was under warranty & nobody said a word.
your “untuned” vehicle could have been “tuned”, you just don’t know it.
tenacious1 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 AM
  #68  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,939
Default

it really just comes down to preference! those that have dealt with tuned vehicles typically know the ins and outs of tuning and its a calculated risk.

ex. my tuner does this as his primary business. he knows the exact vehicle and has tuned thousands of my exact vehicle. he has his own dyno in house. his first words were " i can take you to x horsepower and torque. if you show me receipts for the built transmission i can take you to the next level."

this is an example of a good safe tuner that knows what he is doing and knows the limit to which he can push it. that is what makes it a deal breaker or not! its all about the quality of the work done!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 AM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 325
Default

If the car is still under warranty the only reason to tune would be for a performance reason. After emissions warranty are up we see people tuning diesels on many German cars just to delete dpfe ,egr, and other items that get clogged with soot. Although this is illegal for on road use it is a reason to tune a car/truck not for the reason to "beat" on it.
whitefethr is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 06:52 AM
  #70  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,936
Default

I find it odd that folks that "tune" their vehicles say they don't drive it any differently than without the "tune."
If that's the case, what's the point?
I assume that if it's been tuned, somebody drove the snot out of it.
coastboater is online now  
Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 AM
  #71  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,939
Default

Originally Posted by coastboater View Post
I find it odd that folks that "tune" their vehicles say they don't drive it any differently than without the "tune."
If that's the case, what's the point?
I assume that if it's been tuned, somebody drove the snot out of it.
i tuned my truck for the simple fact of fuel economy! gave an instant 3mpg increase in town! dont get me wrong it will haul ass and i have a couple times. not enough to abuse it. otherwise i drive like i always have. truck is a duramax.
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:21 AM
  #72  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 3,457
Default

Originally Posted by coastboater View Post
I find it odd that folks that "tune" their vehicles say they don't drive it any differently than without the "tune."
If that's the case, what's the point?
I assume that if it's been tuned, somebody drove the snot out of it.

I agree with you. I dont understand.

Tuning for more mileage? How many years is the ROI on that one? You gotta be kidding me.

I guess I'm just immature, but I don't see how you don't hammer on it after its tuned. I still get giddy.
Power brake and launch with 1200 HP to the rears just never gets old. Never.
bayrunner16 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 AM
  #73  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 2,820
Default

There are so many things you can adjust via tune that it's oversimplified here. Some remember a chip as a piggy back chip from the old days (90's) that really did nothing at all. Others think it turns your vehicle to a race car/truck and you're at the limit all the time. The most useful thing about the tuning I've done in the past was get more responsive and linear throttle control, improved mpg, slightly lowered ride height, and an overall more agile feeling car. This doesn't equate to a fire breathing transmission killer.

There is a HUGE grey area when you say the word "tuned."
reelin in the keys likes this.
Tainui is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 173
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
i would buy it, depending on what performance work was done, who installed and who built the tunes. if the were all reputable tune builders it would not scare me.
Also comes down to who the P.O. is. One guy I know, if you want to find limits, let him run it. Seems like he could split an anvil with a rubber fist.

Originally Posted by GR1FFIN View Post
It's no big deal you guys are over blowing the situation. A simple chip tune is pretty minor. If the car had an aftermarket supercharger/turbo or significant mod that is a different story. When is the last time you had to replace or repair your engine? It rarely happens. Other items on cars go bad, not often the engine itself.

I race cars in a pro series, have new cars with Hennessy aftermarket superchargers, have had BMWs chipped and added superchargers to other new cars.

BTW a chip tune is usually just delaying the timing-- its not a big deal. But if your waranty is voided that is something to consider, but as stated when was the last time you needed a new engine under warranty?
I know of, or have heard of a few that needed replaced under warrenty. I spit 2 rods out in my truck, was out of warrenty though. As of the it’s just usually timing, really depends on the vehicle.

Also, F.Y.I. While it could be an expensive endeavor, if you have something break after it’s been modified under warrenty. As long as it’s nothing illegal, the manufacturer has to prove your mod caused the failure to deny warranty.
SDS97_7.3 is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 06:11 PM
  #75  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,299
Default

Originally Posted by SDS97_7.3 View Post


Also comes down to who the P.O. is. One guy I know, if you want to find limits, let him run it. Seems like he could split an anvil with a rubber fist.



I know of, or have heard of a few that needed replaced under warrenty. I spit 2 rods out in my truck, was out of warrenty though. As of the it’s just usually timing, really depends on the vehicle.

Also, F.Y.I. While it could be an expensive endeavor, if you have something break after it’s been modified under warrenty. As long as it’s nothing illegal, the manufacturer has to prove your mod caused the failure to deny warranty.
The manufacturer doesn't have to prove anything. They will just deny your warranty claim since your vehicle was modified. If you disagree then you can sue them.

Good luck with that.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 07:10 PM
  #76  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,216
Default

The dealer told me if anything is done to the factory settings GM will void your warranty. They also told me that even if you reset everything back to the factory settings they can still tell that the settings were changed, there is no way to hide it. I'm fine with this and I didn't have my tune done until my warranty was over, I had the tune done more than 5 years ago and I have not had a single problem with my car. As long as whoever is doing the tune doesn't do anything stupid like disable the rev limiter there should be no reason that the tune can do anything to damage the car.

If I was to sell my car I would absolutely tell the buyer that the car had a tune done. I would offer to have it everything reset to the factory settings if that is what they wanted. Just having a tune done on your vehicle doesn't mean that you are going to beat the hell out of it. Does anyone actually believe that someone that has their vehicle tuned will beat the hell out of it more after the tune that they would before the tune? If you are going to beat and abuse your vehicle having a tune done isn't going to change anything.
RussH is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 04:11 AM
  #77  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 5,891
Default

I bought my 2018 Audi A4 as a CPO with 4300 miles on it. Since it was a dealer loaner car for Audi of Naples I am confident it never got 'tuned'. I would absolutely avoid any car (under warranty) that had been 'tuned'. Like other people I assume the reason someone would have tuned it would be the extra edge in performance.
Onewolf is online now  
Old 10-04-2018, 04:25 AM
  #78  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,744
Default

Some people buy specific vehicles because they CAN be tuned. Waking up another 30-40-60+ hp without doing much more is addictive.
people answering they would not buy one tuned, that’s fine someone else will because just like anything else you can let the original person take the hit on depreciation. Sometimes it’s not even entirely about more power but a better car. Shifts are improved, throttle response, even fuel economy

a CPO is an entirely different thing. Some, not all vehicles you can tell when they have been flashed, question becomes does it tell you WHEN?
i bought it that way or did I do it myself? I guess if you are buying a vehicle you should specifically ask them to scan the ECU and put it into your contract that it was determined to be 100% stock and original and carries the full warranty.

Research the car you are buying. A Jetta isn’t going to be messed with. Corvette,Camaro, mustang,cts/ats v, some Audi’s, Porsche’s, ore likely More and more supercharged and turbo vehicles are being made and it’s real easy to extract HP from them. Diesels as well.

some of you guys need to live it up a little



Raybo Marine NY is online now  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:41 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 173
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
The manufacturer doesn't have to prove anything. They will just deny your warranty claim since your vehicle was modified. If you disagree then you can sue them.

Good luck with that.
“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was introduced in 1975 and requires manufacturers to provide a means for consumers to fully understand the warranty protection they are entitled to when purchasing a product. The act only applies to written warranties and the protection is provided only to the final purchaser (the consumer. The law states that no manufacturer may deny a warranty claim based solely on the use of aftermarket components or services not provided by the manufacturer. In order to deny a warranty claim, the manufacturer must show by means of reasonable proof that component or service in question is the direct or indirect cause of the failure of the part(s) for which warranty repair is being sought. It is important to understand that this applies to only replacement parts or services (per Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act PART 700 > § 700.10 Section 102(c)), not modifications or custom parts. An aftermarket programmer falls outside of the realm of replacement parts and if a powertrain failure should occur, it is possible that the manufacturer will deny a warranty claim for repair or replacement of the damaged item(s).

However, it is not legal for a manufacturer to arbitrarily void the warranty of a vehicle or deny a warranty claim based solely on the use or presence of aftermarket products. Again, the manufacturer must be able to show reasonable proof that the aftermarket product was directly or indirectly responsible for the failure of the part(s) for which warranty repair is being sought.”

So this info is wrong?
SDS97_7.3 is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 03:54 PM
  #80  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 5,891
Default

Originally Posted by SDS97_7.3 View Post


“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act was introduced in 1975 and requires manufacturers to provide a means for consumers to fully understand the warranty protection they are entitled to when purchasing a product. The act only applies to written warranties and the protection is provided only to the final purchaser (the consumer. The law states that no manufacturer may deny a warranty claim based solely on the use of aftermarket components or services not provided by the manufacturer. In order to deny a warranty claim, the manufacturer must show by means of reasonable proof that component or service in question is the direct or indirect cause of the failure of the part(s) for which warranty repair is being sought. It is important to understand that this applies to only replacement parts or services (per Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act PART 700 > § 700.10 Section 102(c)), not modifications or custom parts. An aftermarket programmer falls outside of the realm of replacement parts and if a powertrain failure should occur, it is possible that the manufacturer will deny a warranty claim for repair or replacement of the damaged item(s).

However, it is not legal for a manufacturer to arbitrarily void the warranty of a vehicle or deny a warranty claim based solely on the use or presence of aftermarket products. Again, the manufacturer must be able to show reasonable proof that the aftermarket product was directly or indirectly responsible for the failure of the part(s) for which warranty repair is being sought.”

So this info is wrong?
What if the vehicle is continuously collecting telemetry data including torque output. You tune the car to increase the torque/HP by 25% and eventually the transmission fails. The transmission is only designed for X torque but you've been feeding it X+25%. I think they can reasonably show that your aftermarket tune greatly exceeded the transmission design and they can legally deny your warranty claim. Digital storage is dirt cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if newer vehicles are keeping track of _everything_.
Onewolf is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread