Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Do homes within HOA's appreciate as well as homes without an HOA?

Notices
Like Tree28Likes

Do homes within HOA's appreciate as well as homes without an HOA?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 167
Default

I hate the 250.00 a month for my beach house HOA fees. But I do nothing, insurance is a third of the price, no yard maintenance, no snow shoveling, gated community, also keeps the neighbors fairly respectful. My value has went up 5% in two years
Knight is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,291
Default

Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
Some states require all HOA/Deed restriction documents to be included with a listing.
Have never heard of that. Not saying it isn't true. Most states require they be provided after going under contract and given X number of days to review. Have never heard of them to be on the listing. The packets are only valid for 6 months and usually around $300, so that would be a pain.
TorFed is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 PM
  #43  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 80
Default

I live in a non HOA neighborhood and for a lot of people, that was the selling point for them. Overall we have really good neighbors that keep up their property and have just one or two of “those” neighbors. Some HOA’s are run by power hungry idiots who will even measure the length of your grass and send you a letter if it it a hair over the allowed length.
Appreciation has been very good. Homes in here a currently selling within a day or two of going to market.
Moondoggie is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 PM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,211
Default

I doubt it is the law in Florida because I get HOA questions from realtors and prospective buyers all the time. I am the main contact on the association web site. I have to explain this is an improvement association, not an HOA.
gfretwell is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by popeyeiii View Post
We live in an HOA and prefer it. We have access to 5 swimming pools / water parks, 2 fitness centers, a decent golf course, holiday parties with fireworks etc. At no additional cost which we see as an incredible value for what we pay. In addition to manicured parkways a boulevards, our own schools, parks, jogging trails, and additional security. The HOA neighborhoods in this area are in stark contrast to the neighborhoods whos reasoirces are provided by the county.

Yes there are rules, such as take down your christmas lights by the end of january, put away your trash cans, keeps your front lawn in decent order, etc. Most "normal" people don't have a problem with these common sense things. It does cut down on the ghettoness and redneckery by not allowing junk cars on the lawn and 20 trailers on the driveway however.

I bought my house 18 months ago and I am up quite a few points and houses are getting contracts in 45 days on average.

The gestaponess posted above is a suburban myth. If you are a decent hunan being, you should have no problem dealing with the "REGS". If you are a the kind of guy that doesnt care for your property, plan to have 6 families living with you, and park 2 boats, 4 snomobiles, a camper, 3 motorcycles and 2.5 pickup trucks on your front lawn, then maybe you want something in the unincorporated area.
Your perspective may be filtered by a positive experience, and good on you for that. I am, by most accounts, a decent human being. However, when the neighborhood lawn nazis come calling because you can see my horse trailer from the street (It's an equestrian community), I take indecent exception. City folks moving out to the country and bringing their city BS along with them. HOAs sound great in theory, but in practice they are almost always lead by nosy busy bodies who get off on telling other people what to do. And that is my own filtered perspective.
bobeast is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 PM
  #46  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,291
Default

People not liking traits of HOAs doesn't affect the property value. It just means you don't like it.
TorFed is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM
  #47  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NSB, Florida, USA, earth (mostly)
Posts: 4,818
Default

In Florida HOA docs are often provided before contract and most don't incur a fee. A good listing agent will have them available for review. In any event they must be provided with three days of contract which is going to be within the inspection period. That period allows cancellation for any (no) reason at all.

Some buyers don't like HOAs, some do do, and many don't care so while it may affect the pool of prospective buyers it doesn't seem to affect price appreciation.

Last edited by fishie1; 09-24-2018 at 06:36 PM.
fishie1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Homestead
Posts: 669
Default

Don't think it matters much, for everyone like me that would never consider an HOA for a single family home. There's plenty of others that wont live outside of one.
bikem likes this.
Lifegoeson is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:13 AM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 2,048
Default

Originally Posted by bobeast View Post
Your perspective may be filtered by a positive experience, and good on you for that. I am, by most accounts, a decent human being. However, when the neighborhood lawn nazis come calling because you can see my horse trailer from the street (It's an equestrian community), I take indecent exception. City folks moving out to the country and bringing their city BS along with them. HOAs sound great in theory, but in practice they are almost always lead by nosy busy bodies who get off on telling other people what to do. And that is my own filtered perspective.
You ever think all the other people in the neighborhood don't want to see your horse trailer? You realize you agreed to the rules when you moved into HOA right?
Most reasonable people wouldn't consider a person enforcing rules that you agreed upon when moving into a community a Nazi. That is, unless they tried to gas you or put you into an internment camp. If that's the case, you certainly have reason to use the N word.
Kr_1315 likes this.
lazyboi1212 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 AM
  #50  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 5,892
Default

Originally Posted by TorFed View Post
Have never heard of that. Not saying it isn't true. Most states require they be provided after going under contract and given X number of days to review. Have never heard of them to be on the listing. The packets are only valid for 6 months and usually around $300, so that would be a pain.
When we were looking/bought property in Tennessee every MLS listing had HOA/Deed Restriction documents attached to them. The PDF documents were only 10-20 pages but they included all the rules/regulations associated with the HOA.
Onewolf is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM
  #51  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,400
Default

Originally Posted by lazyboi1212 View Post
You ever think all the other people in the neighborhood don't want to see your horse trailer? You realize you agreed to the rules when you moved into HOA right?
Most reasonable people wouldn't consider a person enforcing rules that you agreed upon when moving into a community a Nazi. That is, unless they tried to gas you or put you into an internment camp. If that's the case, you certainly have reason to use the N word.
Then you get into folks who interpret something like the following:

"Trailers much be parked behind house, and in an inconspicuous location" to mean "trailers must be completely out of site."

I very much agree, if you buy in a location that has rules, adhere to them. The part that becomes a complete poop show is when the wording of said rules is vague or open to interpretation (for instance a requirement for something to be "kept in good condition"). Anybody that writes such vague rules should be slapped, as should those who try to stretch them to the limit, or enforce them in the most restrictive manner imaginable.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,447
Default

I know THT hates HOAs but I think for every 1 person that hates an HOA, there are 5 more that love them because like the amenities they offer especially for families and retirees.
beber is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,291
Default

Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
When we were looking/bought property in Tennessee every MLS listing had HOA/Deed Restriction documents attached to them. The PDF documents were only 10-20 pages but they included all the rules/regulations associated with the HOA.
Interesting, maybe it is just the bylaws and covenants? A full resale packet has all sorts of legal documents, history of financial statements, formation documents etc.... Usually around 100-150 pages.
TorFed is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 08:01 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,644
Default

Originally Posted by beber View Post
I know THT hates HOAs but I think for every 1 person that hates an HOA, there are 5 more that love them because like the amenities they offer especially for families and retirees.
I would expect a boating website to hate HOAs. It does make boating more challenging if you like to trailer your boat.
Lobstercatcher229 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 AM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by lazyboi1212 View Post
You ever think all the other people in the neighborhood don't want to see your horse trailer? You realize you agreed to the rules when you moved into HOA right?
Most reasonable people wouldn't consider a person enforcing rules that you agreed upon when moving into a community a Nazi. That is, unless they tried to gas you or put you into an internment camp. If that's the case, you certainly have reason to use the N word.
I would tend to agree with you were it not the poor quality of our CC&Rs. They are written with enough ambiguity as to allow interpretations having little to do with the original intent. So no, it never occurred to me, not even once, that moving into an equestrian community, would I encounter people who didn't want to see horse trailers. And don't worry. you don't have to abbreviate Nazi. Your head will not explode.
bobeast is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 08:40 AM
  #56  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,704
Default

Originally Posted by Lobstercatcher229 View Post
I would expect a boating website to hate HOAs. It does make boating more challenging if you like to trailer your boat.
I live on the water, boating community, and there is not way I would live on the water without an HOA.

We all paid a premium for our property and share the resource that inflates our home values, it's very important to protect that resource.
RyanL11 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,406
Default

I think some of you guys should stand out in the street; take an honest look at your property and ask yourself are you why so many people want an HOA.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 AM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 2,048
Default

Originally Posted by bobeast View Post
I would tend to agree with you were it not the poor quality of our CC&Rs. They are written with enough ambiguity as to allow interpretations having little to do with the original intent. So no, it never occurred to me, not even once, that moving into an equestrian community, would I encounter people who didn't want to see horse trailers. And don't worry. you don't have to abbreviate Nazi. Your head will not explode.
You think that's crazy. There's boating communities in my area (FL) that won't let you store your boat or trailer on your property for more than 24 hours. Can't hide behind fence or anywhere else. And they only allow one Sea Wench per household.... brutal...
lazyboi1212 is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:27 AM
  #59  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Key west
Posts: 562
Default

One important point that has kept me from an HOA development, is the fact that HOA payments are usually high and more importantly are not a taxable write off as is a mortgage. Consider your hoa payment 20-40% more since it is after tax dollars. With a $500 HOA monthlty payment you could get $50,000 more house. Figure that increase into 10yrs. appreciation and you will note a much larger nestegg.
skindr is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:31 AM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,601
Default

Originally Posted by skindr View Post
One important point that has kept me from an HOA development, is the fact that HOA payments are usually high and more importantly are not a taxable write off as is a mortgage. Consider your hoa payment 20-40% more since it is after tax dollars. With a $500 HOA monthlty payment you could get $50,000 more house. Figure that increase into 10yrs. appreciation and you will note a much larger nestegg.
Well I get your point but not exactly correct. No matter where you live you need lawn service, if you want to do it by yourself that's great, but if you plan on paying someone that's not tax deductible either. If the HOA covers a community pool and gym that's also something you can deduct when paying for a membership. Now of course you have to actually use these amenities to make it worth while, but some communities even include cable in them.
YFMF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread