Notices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rbhankins001

Car Title "Parts Only"

Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 213
Default Car Title "Parts Only"

I'm thinking about a project car for me and my grandson. I found an old Mazda Miata thats got some front end damage but the rest of the car looks ok. From the pictures it looks like the driver side airbag went off. The add says it is titled as "parts only". Why would this be and could the car be repaired and titled to be streetable again? Thanks for your help!
Garage Dog is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 01:57 PM
  #2  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,320
Default

In my experience when it says parts only they dont have title to it.

ymmv
Stand By likes this.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:46 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 213
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
In my experience when it says parts only they dont have title to it.

ymmv
Thats what I thought too but he says he has a title that says "parts only". I've never heard of this before.
Garage Dog is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 02:51 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,931
Default

I've seen "salvage" and "rebuilt" titles, but never "parts only".
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:27 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 144
Default

Like everyone else, never heard of a title that stated "parts only".

As far as a Miata, they're already dirt cheap for a beater/runner. Buy one that runs but needs work and enjoy fixing it up a bit and driving around with the grandson while you're doing it. You didn't mention his age but, if he's younger he may quickly lose interest in something that needs a lot of work. Just my $.02

Edit: Just saw your Autocross thread so it sounds like he "of age".
pworm14 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757
Default

Maybe that his way of saying junked title?
Stand By is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 03:56 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 213
Default

Originally Posted by pworm14 View Post
Like everyone else, never heard of a title that stated "parts only".

As far as a Miata, they're already dirt cheap for a beater/runner. Buy one that runs but needs work and enjoy fixing it up a bit and driving around with the grandson while you're doing it. You didn't mention his age but, if he's younger he may quickly lose interest in something that needs a lot of work. Just my $.02

Edit: Just saw your Autocross thread so it sounds like he "of age".
Thanks to all who replied.

Yes, he is 18 but never drove a stick buts wants to learn. I tend to agree with your post. These cars are reasonable enough to buy a driver and go from there. I want him to learn "car control" and improve his skills and what kid doesn't want to learn how hot rod around. I want him to do it SAFELY where I can teach and watch him.
Garage Dog is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:37 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mass.
Posts: 5,584
Default

Non-repairable / Parts Only / Export Only / Bill of Sale:A non-repairable or parts only title indicates that the vehicle cannot be titled or registered in the U.S. again. These vehicles may be exported in most cases.
On The Edge 1 is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: skittleville fl
Posts: 8,379
Default

Google Flyin' Miata
mitchell master is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 07:22 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: tallahassee fl
Posts: 112
Default

florida has a cerfiticate of distruction it is a transfer of ownership but can never be put on the road agin
Midnight Runner is offline  
Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
Thanks to all who replied.

Yes, he is 18 but never drove a stick buts wants to learn. I tend to agree with your post. These cars are reasonable enough to buy a driver and go from there. I want him to learn "car control" and improve his skills and what kid doesn't want to learn how hot rod around. I want him to do it SAFELY where I can teach and watch him.
Learning to drive manual is good. It's amazing how many of my kids friends, or mine and the wife's friends for that matter, don't know how to drive stick. Pitiful! It's a life skill. Both my kids had Miata's for their first cars (we had 3 of them at the time) and many years later they both still drive stick.

Also, check your local LEO to see if they have a defensive driving course. Both my kids too it a couple times here and had a ball. Skid control, slalom, etc. And it was free. I wanted to do it too but they charged adults almost $300 to take it.

​The girls Miata


The boys Miata


Mine


The boys is the only one left
pworm14 is offline  
Old 08-02-2018, 06:45 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,214
Default

I think the real answer is to take a copy of the title to the tax collector (DMV) and ask them if this thing is capable of getting tags for. My guess is the insurance company totaled it and I am not sure where you can go from there. Those ladies down at the tag place are experts. Be polite and they usually bend over backward to help
gfretwell is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread