The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Quit Drinking (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/945394-quit-drinking.html)

back at it 07-11-2018 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by humpinit (Post 11599002)
Lost 10 pounds in one week and have so much more energy and clarity.
Went to my first party for my friends daugheters birthday and stayed sober the entire time and realized how idiotic my friends looked and sounded. That has been me for 25 years. It may be me again.
I would drink at least two beers a day and on at least one or two of those days in a week, I would drink til passing out.

And the only reason I decided to quit was how sick I got a couple of Sundays back. It was a normal weekend. It started on Thursday night with a couple of margaritas celebrating me getting my belt promotion in BJJ. Then Friday was 6 to 8 beers one or two were 10%. No issues so far, Saturday was a normal day working around the house drinking maybe a 12 pack by night time. Sunday started smoking a bunch of fish with a buddy and we started drinking at 11AM. We only drank 2 12 packs by 6PM and I decided to go to another friends house to drop off fish. Decided to drink her last beer, then killed two bottles of wine.
I dont remember much of how I got home. I heard later that my son woke me up in the front yard at 11PM.
At some time during the night I puked all over the room and bathroom. I missed work for the first time in a very long time. I was so sick that I couldnt eat for three days. I hurt so bad to swallow that I could barely get water down.

I lied and told everyone that I had food poisoning but I am sure it was alcohol poisoning.

No Im trying to make excuses for having a few this upcoming weekend fishing trip.

Not sure if I can just have a few. Not sure if I want to.

Anyone relate to this?

I cant relate but certain you had a problem. This unbearable heat has me down to 12 and only on Saturdays. Ready for the fall and a sport worth watching on TV.

matthewmon 07-11-2018 11:47 AM

I didn't really start drinking till my 30's. I am 6'5" 215lbs and my tolerance was naturally high...i can easily drink a pint of whisky in a night. I am really interested in finding out what is ok health wise? I don't want to die a day earlier due to drinking too much. The guidelines I have seen for binge drinking seem way too low to me. Is a half pint twice a week okay? At a half pint I am just starting to feel a buzz. Just to be clear I don't think I have a problem with drinking too often I just want to find out what the max I can drink safely a couple times a week max is?

seems like it would be a lot healthier if they would just legalize marijuana for people that want to relax a little!

NCSUboater 07-11-2018 12:05 PM

No one knows the answer to that but Italians wouldn't think of having a meal without plenty of wine. They aren't known to be alcoholics or have related health issues.

Only you can make the decision...anything put out by our government entities is useless as far as guidelines.

Fish Haid 07-11-2018 12:15 PM

Like I said above, it's been 30 days now. Didn't really have any cravings until just now, reading the rest of this thread. It passed now. When I think of having a beer, I get hungry.

Didn't notice any behavioral changes, nor do I feel any happier or more energetic ,but then again, I have a broken leg. Been very sleepy for last week, but think it's from the extra exertion to move around, and also from "relaxing" for a month. If I were to drink tonight, I'd probably be out in the garage banging my leg around until 2AM, working on my dirtbikes. Is it healthier to sit and eat and watch TV and go to bed early?

By the way, the doctor game me 60 oxycodone pills, and I still have 30. Haven't used any in over 2 weeks. Was using them to take my mind off the cast more than for pain. 30 pills in 10 days? Just for those who say how easy it is to get hooked.

Anyone ever try the "Sinclair Method"? https://www.the-sinclair-method.com/ It uses Naltrexone. You take a pill before you drink, and you loose the urge to drink excessively (tend to stop after a few). One of my tenants moved out and left two bottles of this drug. Maybe I'll try it someday.

Wavehight 07-11-2018 12:18 PM


Originally Posted by matthewmon (Post 11600667)

seems like it would be a lot healthier if they would just legalize marijuana for people that want to relax a little!

Agreed and it is pretty much legal even in states where it is technically not. I would be more worried about failing a work-related drug test than the legal ramifications of smoking pot. They are pretty much non existent unless you get caught doing something stupid and the cops want to tack on a charge.

Michael D 07-11-2018 12:18 PM

Great words and information here. Op, you are a brave man... Most of us like to keep our serious problems to ourselves, tough to call yourself out in a public environment. Hang in there, I can guarantee your choice to quit will be the best one you've ever made. And probably the most difficult. Good luck!

RussH 07-11-2018 12:47 PM

I didn't totally quit drinking about 5 years ago but I did quit getting blackout drunk. I was hoping I would lose weight but I didn't. What I was surprised about was how my tolerance didn't change even after a couple of years after. I could drink about a 1/2 fifth of rum and a maybe 6 beers and still be pretty coherent so I thought after not getting drunk for a couple of years that my tolerance would go way down. At a Christmas party I got with some friends and we were all drinking beers and started doing slammers. I thought I would be stupid drunk after drinking so much but I could barely feel a buzz. Your tolerance level must take a lot longer to change than I thought it would.

airbrush 07-11-2018 01:05 PM

Take it from one who knows, if you have a real problem, don't fool yourself that 30 days abstinence will put you in a place where you might stand a drink a day, or a drink per week, or a drink at all. You have to stop and keep stopped! I know my mind and my body would NEVER make it through another detox. Not even the drugs can ease the physical trauma and the mental strain. You think put me to sleep either permanently or temporarily - or better yet, give me a drink to ease the pain. Even after detox as you work your plan, there are plenty of triggers for "just one drink". But there's no such thing as one more drink anymore.
Don't fool yourself.

Papafish 07-11-2018 02:20 PM

So many good points I see reading this, quitting drinking is one of the best decision I have ever made. Each person's who has stopped has a different story for sure, be it the reason for quitting or the withdrawals that that followed.

I came from a long line of alcoholics! My normal work day was no less than a 12 pack and weekends had large bottles,Jack and coke was my go to.
April 16th 2007 I ( let's just say was showed that I needed to) stop drinking and I haven't had a drop since, if I told you it doesn't cross my mind that would be far from the truth! We all have our triggers, mowing the lawn, out fishing, hanging around the fire, I could go on and on.

I know for me one would be way too many, but again it is a individual basis. With all that said the biggest thing (problem) is the change in friendships, most look at me as if I am different than I was, maybe I am? However I still enjoy the same stuff as before just do it without the alcohol.

I can relate to everything in OP's post down to the son waking you up, not a fun thought for you or your son.
I and I would think many others would pm you their number if you ever needed some support. It's not a easy road but can be done! And yes it gets easier as time goes by.
Hell now I actually have a little pride in how long it's been.

FishnDive 07-11-2018 02:23 PM

Drinking used to be an important part of my life, I liked going to bars, BSing and having a couple of cold ones. Overindulging was common. My drinking turned into 3 beers and chicken wings, a friday night. I moved about 8 months ago and keep planning on hitting a few local bars to find one I like. I just don't get around to it. I've had a six pack in the refrigerator for about 3 months. Drinking just sort of fell away. I need to go out friday and have a couple.

Riptied 07-11-2018 03:16 PM


I don’t care what your flavor of drug is whether it be alcohol, weed, pills, cocaine, etc.,
if you can’t live or function without it your an addict.

Been there and done it all.

I enjoy life much more sober.

magua 07-11-2018 05:01 PM

Lent is 6 weeks without a drop each and every year. The rest of the year....

AC 07-11-2018 07:37 PM

I think I am opposit most people. I just turned 62. Most of my life since 18 I drank 3 or 4 beers on the weekend at dinner. That's it. And I got a buzz and was happy.Never did a drug in my life. Not even pot.

12 years ago a buddy got me drinking Vodka in the Keys on a fishing trip. 4 ounces turned to 24 ounces for the same buzz over time. I drink 24 ounces vodka on the rocks every night and you would never know i drank a drop.

So there is no issue on my behavior, on the other hand it can't be good for my body.

I am diabetic, and on insulin. Doc keeps telling me my lab numbers are great. However, I know it will catch up to me.

crazybeard 07-11-2018 08:29 PM


Originally Posted by humpinit (Post 11599002)
Lost 10 pounds in one week and have so much more energy and clarity.
Went to my first party for my friends daugheters birthday and stayed sober the entire time and realized how idiotic my friends looked and sounded. That has been me for 25 years. It may be me again.
I would drink at least two beers a day and on at least one or two of those days in a week, I would drink til passing out.

And the only reason I decided to quit was how sick I got a couple of Sundays back. It was a normal weekend. It started on Thursday night with a couple of margaritas celebrating me getting my belt promotion in BJJ. Then Friday was 6 to 8 beers one or two were 10%. No issues so far, Saturday was a normal day working around the house drinking maybe a 12 pack by night time. Sunday started smoking a bunch of fish with a buddy and we started drinking at 11AM. We only drank 2 12 packs by 6PM and I decided to go to another friends house to drop off fish. Decided to drink her last beer, then killed two bottles of wine.
I dont remember much of how I got home. I heard later that my son woke me up in the front yard at 11PM.
At some time during the night I puked all over the room and bathroom. I missed work for the first time in a very long time. I was so sick that I couldnt eat for three days. I hurt so bad to swallow that I could barely get water down.

I lied and told everyone that I had food poisoning but I am sure it was alcohol poisoning.

No Im trying to make excuses for having a few this upcoming weekend fishing trip.

Not sure if I can just have a few. Not sure if I want to.

Anyone relate to this?

Buddy, I've had a number of "never again" mornings but this sounds pretty bad.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

If you're taking 3 days to clear that there's a possibility you have significant liver impairment or something else contributing to this issue. I'm not saying that to judge you - just that you might want to check it out. Liver can heal/regenerate when you haven't reached the fibrosis or cirrhosis stage. At that point, you have what you have and it won't reverse but you can still stop it from getting worse.

The average human will process 1 standard drink per hour without any impairment. A standard drink is a 1oz shot, 6oz glass of wine, or 12oz beer at 5%. If you pound 12 beers in an hour, you're likely going to be sick, compared to 1 beer an hour for 12 hours. Assuming you split what you said you drank, 2 beers an hour over 6 hours shouldn't be much of an issue for people who drink moderately to heavily on a regular basis. 2 bottles of wine, split 5 hours later so less than 1 standard drink per hour. If that's all you drank and you regularly drink moderately (or more) I doubt you'd even feel a buzz.

Let me be direct: Either you're not counting accurately and you're drinking a huge part of what you're saying you split or something else is contributing. Meds, liver or other physiological issues, etc.

I like drinks too but I just can't live like I'm in my 20's anymore. Sometimes I still try and the next day usually cures me for a while.

Guys are always on each other for being a wuss about something, and not having a drink takes a lot more than just caving in but yet many friends try to convince you to have "just one" with them. If so then they're the wrong "friends."

You know you need a change, so make it happen. You are stronger than you think you are but only if you let yourself be.

Hooper 07-11-2018 10:51 PM

OP great post. And lots of great follow up posts too. I have a few random thoughts Ill share.

I knew the first time I took a drink at age 16 I was going to have trouble with alcohol, my first thoughts having a drinks with my buddy at that age was where have you been all my life? This is how I want to feel every moment of everyday for the rest of my life. It wasnt until I was years sober that I learned my mother drank heavily while pregnant with me. It was a true Ah-Ha moment, things made sense then.

Growing up with a single alcoholic mother was simply horrible for a young child. My stomach churned at school all day wondering what Id have to deal with when I got home. Mom out cold on the couch or off driving around somewhere? What time would she get home? She finally got some sobriety at age 14. All my happy childhood memories begin at that age because I got to be a kid finally.

I became a father at age 40 and 4 years sober. Now 12 years sober, my motivation to stay sober is to never allow my son to experience the hell I did as a child. One goal I have in life is for my son to never see his Dad with a drink in his hand.

When I was drinking heavily I looked at people who
didn't drink with envy. Envy, because I knew if I were a non-drinker I would have a better life. Drinking brought with it a lot of shame, embarrassment and general problems that non-drinkers never experienced. Now, Im so damn happy to tell people who ask that I dont drink, no not even a little, I never drink.

Im sorry for the long post, this topic really hits home for me. I wish you well sir, its worth it. Do it because you are worth it.

Contractor 07-12-2018 03:54 AM


Originally Posted by AC (Post 11602308)
I drink 24 ounces vodka on the rocks every night and you would never know i drank a drop.


Shit dude, that is a lot of Vodka. I love Vodka, but that would make me puke.

Boataholic 07-12-2018 04:00 AM


Originally Posted by magua (Post 11601772)
Lent is 6 weeks without a drop each and every year. The rest of the year....

I can remember as a kid, Dad would quit drinking AND smoking for lent. Man, rest of the family couldn't wait for him to start again!! lol Talk about grumpy and short fused!

humpinit 07-12-2018 04:07 AM


Originally Posted by crazybeard (Post 11602432)
Buddy, I've had a number of "never again" mornings but this sounds pretty bad.

Please don't take this the wrong way.

If you're taking 3 days to clear that there's a possibility you have significant liver impairment or something else contributing to this issue. I'm not saying that to judge you - just that you might want to check it out. Liver can heal/regenerate when you haven't reached the fibrosis or cirrhosis stage. At that point, you have what you have and it won't reverse but you can still stop it from getting worse.

The average human will process 1 standard drink per hour without any impairment. A standard drink is a 1oz shot, 6oz glass of wine, or 12oz beer at 5%. If you pound 12 beers in an hour, you're likely going to be sick, compared to 1 beer an hour for 12 hours. Assuming you split what you said you drank, 2 beers an hour over 6 hours shouldn't be much of an issue for people who drink moderately to heavily on a regular basis. 2 bottles of wine, split 5 hours later so less than 1 standard drink per hour. If that's all you drank and you regularly drink moderately (or more) I doubt you'd even feel a buzz.

Let me be direct: Either you're not counting accurately and you're drinking a huge part of what you're saying you split or something else is contributing. Meds, liver or other physiological issues, etc.

I like drinks too but I just can't live like I'm in my 20's anymore. Sometimes I still try and the next day usually cures me for a while.

Guys are always on each other for being a wuss about something, and not having a drink takes a lot more than just caving in but yet many friends try to convince you to have "just one" with them. If so then they're the wrong "friends."

You know you need a change, so make it happen. You are stronger than you think you are but only if you let yourself be.

The wine is what put me over the top that night. It was two bottles in about an hour and before that is was probably two beers per hour.

Crazybeard, I dont know you but I do have the upmost respect for you. Your helped me get through a very rough patch about a year and a half ago and I will never forget that. I followed your advice to a tee. So thanks for that.

I never really went through detox unless that is what I was feeling last week or unless detox is a bad hangover. Ive never had a hangover last more than one day. So Im not sure what detox is.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

humpinit 07-12-2018 04:10 AM


Originally Posted by Hooper (Post 11602539)
OP great post. And lots of great follow up posts too. I have a few random thoughts Ill share.

I knew the first time I took a drink at age 16 I was going to have trouble with alcohol, my first thoughts having a drinks with my buddy at that age was where have you been all my life? This is how I want to feel every moment of everyday for the rest of my life. It wasnt until I was years sober that I learned my mother drank heavily while pregnant with me. It was a true Ah-Ha moment, things made sense then.

Growing up with a single alcoholic mother was simply horrible for a young child. My stomach churned at school all day wondering what Id have to deal with when I got home. Mom out cold on the couch or off driving around somewhere? What time would she get home? She finally got some sobriety at age 14. All my happy childhood memories begin at that age because I got to be a kid finally.

I became a father at age 40 and 4 years sober. Now 12 years sober, my motivation to stay sober is to never allow my son to experience the hell I did as a child. One goal I have in life is for my son to never see his Dad with a drink in his hand.

When I was drinking heavily I looked at people who
didn't drink with envy. Envy, because I knew if I were a non-drinker I would have a better life. Drinking brought with it a lot of shame, embarrassment and general problems that non-drinkers never experienced. Now, Im so damn happy to tell people who ask that I dont drink, no not even a little, I never drink.

Im sorry for the long post, this topic really hits home for me. I wish you well sir, its worth it. Do it because you are worth it.


Thanks. I regret showing my son that drinking has been okay all of these years. He just turned 17 and I doing think he drinks yet. I know he smokes pot and although Im not happy about that, its better than drinking.

magua 07-12-2018 04:16 AM


Originally Posted by Boataholic (Post 11602682)
I can remember as a kid, Dad would quit drinking AND smoking for lent. Man, rest of the family couldn't wait for him to start again!! lol Talk about grumpy and short fused!


That 1st beer after mass on Easter Sunday is "nearly" like heaven.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.