Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Ice Machine - Manitowac vs Hoshizaki

Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Ice Machine - Manitowac vs Hoshizaki

Old 07-02-2018, 05:53 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,395
Default Ice Machine - Manitowac vs Hoshizaki

Researching Ice Machines. Already certain we are going air cooled, approx 400-500 lb per day, and standard 115 outlet. I will also connect to an inline DI filter

1) Best Warranty? Can’t tell for sure, but looks like Manito limits their warranty to 1 yr if used in residential application vs 3-5 yrs with Hosh?
2) Best place to buy? Best deal? (Icemakerdirect, webrestrauntstore)
3) Easiest/cheapest to clean and maintain?
4) This will be at a weekend/vac home. I know you aren’t supposed to turn them on and off frequently, but it just doesn’t make sense to run full time if we are only there 6-10days a month so does anyone know if there’s a way to turn it on/offremotely ( via WiFi or an app or something) ?


Right now I’m leaning towards

https://www.icemakerdirect.com/hoshi...MD-460MAH.html

Last edited by OffshoreApparel.com; 07-02-2018 at 06:01 AM.
OffshoreApparel.com is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

We have a few Manitowac units at work/lake. They were bought used, and have served us well. Around here anyway, the service guys seem to be more familiar with them than other brands. They haven't been perfect, but have been pretty good. Main thing that has had to be replaced is ice plates. Definitely pay attention to the cube style of the machine you are looking at. For a fish box, you want a good solid cube vs the square cubes with the indention in them. It makes ice a bit slower, but the ice last much longer. Even more so if you can bag it up and deep freeze it before use.

For turning on and off a remote wifi power outlet is about the only thing I can think of. I would recommend only turning off if you will be gone for 2 or more weeks. They take quite a while to cool down upon startup, and are very inefficient when cooling down. If you have the option to do a remote condenser and keep the ice maker itself in an air conditioned space it will be much more efficient. This will be more expensive up front, but much more operationally efficient.

Edit to add: If you can make it work, get yourself a big chest freezer, and some square buckets to fill it up. Run the ice maker when you are there, or not going to be gone for long. Fill buckets in deep freezer with ice so that even if you arrive with the machine turned off, you can have ice to use immediately. A deep freezer is very efficient to run comparatively speaking. To kick start the machine working, add a bucket or two of ice to the ice hopper to speed up cooling it down. This will greatly increase the efficiency. One of our units is at the lake. It gets turned on on weekends. We toss in a bag of ice as it gets turned on, and it is building up ice quickly. If you don't add a bit, the first few hours worth of ice are wasted cooling down the hopper.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:12 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,051
Default

Both are work horses
bluffman2 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Merritt Island FL
Posts: 744
Default

I have 3 manitowocs. Just bought one with the external condenser and it is night and day compared to the other 2. I have that one inside of my restaurant and it works perfect. I have a regular style in my garage at home and it works great but it runs a lot in the heat. I'm pretty sure the new one I bought came with a 5-year warranty.
38P6 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 07:29 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cape Coral FL
Posts: 344
Default

I have two buddies in the restaurant supply business they told me you can't go wrong with either of these brands but both mentioned the cresent cubes are better. I found a ridiculous deal on a used hoshizaki km-900mah and have been happy with it so far.
dmaxonclaws is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Merritt Island FL
Posts: 744
Default

Something else to consider, these things waste a tremendous amount of water. I got tired of watching the water just dump out on the ground so I replumbed the one at my house and collect the water in a 40 gallon rain barrel. It fills up really fast. I use that water to water plants and I dump it in my pool about once a week.
38P6 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 07:58 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital & Black Hills SD
Posts: 16,004
Default

Been there done that with 2 neighbors... Just another way to look at it... Had two 280lb machines, Manitowoc (bought used for $1000) & then a Hoskaki new without a bin for $1800... 1st One died in a yea, sold the 2nd after two years. The new one (water cooled) cost a solid $100 a month. Neither ever made 100lb on hot days (was out of sun 100% under stairs). Never had enough on tournament days. After selling it, neighbor bought a new chest freezer, local ice company delivered 40lb bagged ice every week (would have come twice a week if we wanted), ice chest was silent (which was a nice change), and it was a hell of a lot cheaper. Talk to your local ice company, ours told us he would've given us a used chest!
Just saying...
DaddyMenace likes this.
Afishinado is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 09:26 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: TX and Louisiana
Posts: 267
Default

I have a Hoshisaki at the place in Louisiana, bought used, but almost new, about 500# per day machine. I have had it for about 4 years, had couple of minor repairs, not significant. I also have have had a Manitowoc smaller type, at the ranch. It was very old, but easy to work on, nothing complicated or hard to fix, which was good because it was very remote. Finally replaced it with a new chinese cheap one, which has been pretty trouble free.

Once you get used to having a reliable ice machine, you can't imagine not having one. One thing that I do not prefer about the Hoshi in the mud room in Louisiana, is that it does put a lot of heat into the house when running a lot. It doesn't run that much once it is full, but if I fill a 200 qt cooler, it is going to run most of the day refilling the bin. For party time it is better to use the ice out of the deep freeze, melt slower, waters the drinks down less. For a quick fishing trip, it is so easy to just haul the ice down to the boat in 5 gallon buckets, although I wish I had a pipe from the mud room to the boat directly below, that I could just dump it straight down there, maybe on the next house I can do that and add the external condensor unit outside.

You won't go wrong with either brand.
MikeeBooshay is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,395
Default

Originally Posted by 38P6 View Post
Something else to consider, these things waste a tremendous amount of water. I got tired of watching the water just dump out on the ground so I replumbed the one at my house and collect the water in a 40 gallon rain barrel. It fills up really fast. I use that water to water plants and I dump it in my pool about once a week.
Was this air cooled or water cooled? Understand the water cooled units waste tons of water but not certain about the air cooled units. Ours will go up against the house on the north side, so it will be mostly shaded. Iím also going to oversize it for out needs to overcome the initial startup on an empty unchilled bin.

We initially wanted the ice merchandiser and delivery service, till I called the local delivery companies. There was no savings to buying the ice in bulk and having it delivered. The twice ice place across the street was still significantly cheaper on 20lb bags. Having 400-500 lbs ready to go in a bin with the ice machine and not having to think about it costing 2.75/bag will be nice.
OffshoreApparel.com is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lutz,fl
Posts: 714
Default

Iíve considered getting an ice maker since it would be super convenient for filling the boat.
Itís hard to justify the cost of $1000-$2000 when I can buy 20 lbs for $2 at my local car wash.
I may look into the home delivery option.
me00351 is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by me00351 View Post
Iíve considered getting an ice maker since it would be super convenient for filling the boat.
Itís hard to justify the cost of $1000-$2000 when I can buy 20 lbs for $2 at my local car wash.
I may look into the home delivery option.
Depending on your ice needs, the twice the ice type places are the best deal out there. I have a small ice maker at the lake, and it cheaper to just buy ice and store it in the deep freezer. I grab 2-3 bags at a time, and store on the bottom shelf. Ice lasts much longer when hard frozen vs ice maker temp.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:00 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lutz,fl
Posts: 714
Default

I just ordered this for my freezer as an ice experiment.
Ive removed the shelves and I think that I can fill a bin with about 50-60 lbs.
i can then transfer it to my chest freezer to build up a big supply.
me00351 is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston/Sargent, Texas
Posts: 5,330
Default

I have a Manitowoc which I got from a good friend at the bay....he sells them and works on them. He told me if you want me to service it, your buying a manitowoc period the end. He's gotten to where he doesn't really want to work on the other brands.
freedbaby is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Merritt Island FL
Posts: 744
Default

Originally Posted by OffshoreApparel.com View Post


Was this air cooled or water cooled? Understand the water cooled units waste tons of water but not certain about the air cooled units. Ours will go up against the house on the north side, so it will be mostly shaded. Iím also going to oversize it for out needs to overcome the initial startup on an empty unchilled bin.

We initially wanted the ice merchandiser and delivery service, till I called the local delivery companies. There was no savings to buying the ice in bulk and having it delivered. The twice ice place across the street was still significantly cheaper on 20lb bags. Having 400-500 lbs ready to go in a bin with the ice machine and not having to think about it costing 2.75/bag will be nice.
Yes, all of mine are air cooled. The machine flushes itself out with several gallons of water per cycle. It ends up being alot of wasted water.
38P6 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Merritt Island FL
Posts: 744
Default

You will want to learn to clean it yourself, it's not difficult after you have done it a few times and saves from paying an ac tech $100+ per hour. Mold grows up inside where you can't see it and it can get really gross.
We put a uv light in the new one and so far it really seems to keep it clean.
38P6 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,841
Default

I have a manitowoc with a 350 lb per day head. We fish a lot of big trips- pulley ridge, bahamas, etc where we'll bring 800-1000 lbs minimum. I have a 400 lb bin and a frigidaire 25 cubic feet freezer.

Any machine is worthless if you go straight from hopper to fish box unless you are fishing a day trip.

We start the ice machine 4 to 5 days before and fill 60 lb bags and put them in the deep freeze. The night before those bags go in the fish box and the next hopper full goes in the freezer, then right before we leave the freezer bags go into the fish box and all the wet hopper ice is used for drinks.

That ice box is still well below freezing days later.

Both are good brands but as people have stated above HVAC guys seem to prefer the Manitowoc brand. Mine blew a compressor, $700 parts and labor(I bought parts).
mstyle8517 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital & Black Hills SD
Posts: 16,004
Default

Timing.. Rarely do I chit chat with my old neighbor. He called asking about the trout bite out here this year.. Anyway, got on the ice & freezer subject. He's almost positive it was 25cuft, held 500+lbs of ice, and it cost less per month for everything than his share of the ice machine cost split 3 ways.

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
Both are good brands but as people have stated above HVAC guys seem to prefer the Manitowoc brand. Mine blew a compressor, $700 parts and labor(I bought parts).
He also mentioned the freezer was on sale for under $500
Afishinado is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:51 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,395
Default

Originally Posted by 38P6 View Post
Yes, all of mine are air cooled. The machine flushes itself out with several gallons of water per cycle. It ends up being alot of wasted water.

Looks like the one Iím looking at uses 16gal for every 100lbs of ice.

I also confirmed my suspicion above...the warranty of the Hoshazaki is wayyy better. Manito is only one year which SUX.


.
OffshoreApparel.com is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 153
Default

i work on both brands every week there both reliable.the hoshizaki has a stainless evaporator you cant mess up, the mani uses nickel coated copper clean it with the wrong stuff and mess up the nickel and its done.mani also has gone to all danfoss parts not as good as they used to be.if im buying for occassional home use manitowoc kool-ice series is they way to go.also the hoshi can be set up to use less water with the dip switch settings on the board mani not.
fishstretchy is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,395
Default

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
I have a manitowoc with a 350 lb per day head. We fish a lot of big trips- pulley ridge, bahamas, etc where we'll bring 800-1000 lbs minimum. I have a 400 lb bin and a frigidaire 25 cubic feet freezer.

Any machine is worthless if you go straight from hopper to fish box unless you are fishing a day trip.

We start the ice machine 4 to 5 days before and fill 60 lb bags and put them in the deep freeze. The night before those bags go in the fish box and the next hopper full goes in the freezer, then right before we leave the freezer bags go into the fish box and all the wet hopper ice is used for drinks.

That ice box is still well below freezing days later.

Both are good brands but as people have stated above HVAC guys seem to prefer the Manitowoc brand. Mine blew a compressor, $700 parts and labor(I bought parts).

I donít do many multi day trips but I still believe Iím going with a 517lb head (which is closer to 450 at 90 degrees outside) and a 500lb bin. What we do have more often would be a few boats loading up coolers and fish boxes at once. Everyone appears out of the woodworks when your the guy with an ice machine. And then they empty it and it never catches up again.

https://www.jesrestaurantequipment.c...ir-cooled.html

.
OffshoreApparel.com is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread