The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Today's Negative LEO Interaction - License Check "Avoidance" (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/942967-todays-negative-leo-interaction-license-check-avoidance.html)

autobaun70 07-01-2018 06:25 PM

Today's Negative LEO Interaction - License Check "Avoidance"
 
Got home mid afternoon today from the lake. Coming down the main road that feeds my subdivision. There are two entrances, one front, and one back. I live near the back entrance. As I came down the road, I could see a license check up ahead near the front entrance, which is not an uncommon thing at all. The road that leads to the back entrance, which I take every day, is about 300 - 400 yards from the license check. As I normally do, I took it, and went home. Went inside, checked on cats (anyone need a free cat), came back outside and grabbed a beer out of the fridge. Then hopped up into the boat to finishing wiring up my new trim tabs. About the time I got good and crammed inside the console to do the wiring, I hear a car pull up in the driveway. It was one of the license check guys. He starts in on why I "avoided" their license check. As it works out, where I turned was outside of his jurisdiction......the intersection at the front entrance to our subdivision is the cutoff, so they can't post a second LEO on the side road coming in the back, but are evidently allowed to investigate anyone that turns off. I explain that I took my normal route, and live here. He proceeds to "inform me" that I should have gone the long way, so that I could go through the license check. I direct him to my visor where my registration is, and offer my license as proof that I live there. He continues to hark on why I didn't just go through the license check.....and then questioned how much I had been drinking. I politely let him know that I just got home, grabbed a beer, and was working on my boat. He didn't take that much further, but kept harking on and on and on about how I was inconveniencing him and their licence check by "avoiding" it. Just me, but that pisses me off. # 1, its a BS little town that somehow has managed to annex roads outside of their city limits, and # 2, I don't need any speeches regarding me following the law....when I haven't broken the law.

For clarity, this is the layout of how I got to the house.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...06e1fd15c4.jpg

caltexflanc 07-01-2018 06:32 PM

You don't want them to pursue potential undocumented people to the ends of the earth? Why shouldn't they suspect someone for evading having their papers checked?

Jim henscheli 07-01-2018 06:33 PM

Had the same exact shitt happen, this is what you get when you hire non locals to be police; miscommunications... screw that noise though, it’s hard to stay civil.

Schmaltz~Herring 07-01-2018 06:33 PM

Nothing burger move on. Hopefully you accomplished something on your boat.

nccoaster 07-01-2018 06:34 PM

Just a little power trip. You are guilty until proven innocent.

Could have been worse. This is what happened this weekend in NC. Family wants "answers." Of course the answer is don't run from the popo.
man killed in chase

autobaun70 07-01-2018 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by Schmaltz~Herring (Post 11569797)
Nothing burger move on. Hopefully you accomplished something on your boat.

It should be....but why did he waste 10 minutes telling me what I "should have done' when in fact I should not have any obligations to do so. His objection to my actions was that it "wasted his time."

Honestly, license checks waste my time. Why should I go out of my way and waste my time, to avoid wasting his? Further, it is very troubling to me when he quickly realized that I was in fact doing nothing illegal or wrong, that he would preach at me about it. Just not something any LEO should ever do. I completely understand why he tracked me down, but it was not like I had pulled in a random driveway and laid down in the seat. He knew 30 seconds in that I was where I was supposed to be, and should have went on his merry way. Had he done so, I would have no issue with him at all.

yarcraft91 07-01-2018 06:38 PM

Things must have been really slow at the check point...

Flot 07-01-2018 06:42 PM

WTAF is a “license check” ?!?

Eastport205 07-01-2018 06:43 PM


Originally Posted by nccoaster (Post 11569798)
Just a little power trip. You are guilty until proven innocent.

Could have been worse. This is what happened this weekend in NC. Family wants "answers." Of course the answer is don't run from the popo.
man killed in chase

Then you only get tased


autobaun70 07-01-2018 06:43 PM


Originally Posted by yarcraft91 (Post 11569812)
Things must have been really slow at the check point...

As is typically the case when you set one up at the entrances to a pair of upper middle class neighborhoods. In short, they should have been patrolling the streets inside their town (which is a shit hole) vs seeking revenue on roads that they managed to annex 5 miles away from it.

autobaun70 07-01-2018 06:44 PM


Originally Posted by Flot (Post 11569825)
WTAF is a “license check” ?!?

Code for DUI/Seatbelt/Warranty checkpoint. BS Should be illegal.

yarcraft91 07-01-2018 06:47 PM


Originally Posted by autobaun70 (Post 11569832)
As is typically the case when you set one up at the entrances to a pair of upper middle class neighborhoods. In short, they should have been patrolling the streets inside their town (which is a shit hole) vs seeking revenue on roads that they managed to annex 5 miles away from it.

The town did a crappy job of annexing if they didn't draw the new city limits line completely around two upper middle class neighborhoods. What were they thinking? :)

Lee Majors 07-01-2018 06:49 PM

I think as soon as he started being a d bag, I'd tell him to get off private property and start recording him. Spend more time chasing criminals and not good citizens.

I called yesterday to report a road rage incident and the idiot on the other end of the line tried to make it sound like I was at fault. I'm over this bs that law enforcement is becoming.

autobaun70 07-01-2018 06:49 PM


Originally Posted by yarcraft91 (Post 11569842)
The town did a crappy job of annexing if they didn't draw the new city limits line completely around two upper middle class neighborhoods. What were they thinking? :)

That nobody would pay attention as long as it didn't impact property taxes. They were correct. They literally have a web of roads outside of their town that they have patrol rights to, in exchange for cutting the grass on the sides of the road & medians.

forgot 07-01-2018 06:52 PM

Cops ain't all bad but if no warrant tell him to get off your property. Sounds like there was no pursuit so F him.

Hooper 07-01-2018 06:56 PM

I gotta say, checkpoints are total bullshit. I've never worked one and I never will. You were 100% in the right autobaun. Yeah, yeah....I get what was going on, I just can't play that game. One of the many reasons I need to retire I guess. I hate seeing good people getting their balls busted.

Cracker 07-01-2018 06:57 PM


Originally Posted by autobaun70 (Post 11569810)
It should be....but why did he waste 10 minutes telling me what I "should have done' when in fact I should not have any obligations to do so. His objection to my actions was that it "wasted his time."

Honestly, license checks waste my time. Why should I go out of my way and waste my time, to avoid wasting his? Further, it is very troubling to me when he quickly realized that I was in fact doing nothing illegal or wrong, that he would preach at me about it. Just not something any LEO should ever do. I completely understand why he tracked me down, but it was not like I had pulled in a random driveway and laid down in the seat. He knew 30 seconds in that I was where I was supposed to be, and should have went on his merry way. Had he done so, I would have no issue with him at all.

You wasted 10 minutes of your own time.. I would have told him, I am Mr.(whoever) as you can run my tag. I took my normal route home and sorry you feel otherwise..Have a nice day, I have work to do... I would not have let it gone on that long..

autobaun70 07-01-2018 06:59 PM


Originally Posted by Cracker (Post 11569864)
You wasted 10 minutes of your own time.. I would have told him, I am Mr.(whoever) as you can run my tag. I took my normal route home and sorry you feel otherwise..Have a nice day, I have work to do... I would not have let it gone on that long..

That is basically what I did. My other choice was to go inside and shut the door in his face. My frustration is there is no "respectful" way to tell a LEO that is overstepping his bounds to piss off. At least not that they will consider to be respectful. My main point is there is zero excuse for any LEO once realizing a citizen is in the right to carry the conversation any further. IMO it was his responsibility to leave immediately, and calm down. He proceeded to give me a 10 minute speech, for no reason.....about wasting his time.

Finsinchessy 07-01-2018 07:07 PM

I guess I'm old and cranky but all he would gotten from me was the question, "what law did I break". If he didn't come up with one I would invite him to leave or get on the clock for 250.00 an hour to consult with me, his choice. A man that comes on your property to bitch and moan is not civil servant but an assist that should work a job that does not demand respect because he is not making the grade.

Cracker 07-01-2018 07:08 PM


Originally Posted by autobaun70 (Post 11569873)
That is basically what I did. My other choice was to go inside and shut the door in his face. My frustration is there is no "respectful" way to tell a LEO that is overstepping his bounds to piss off. At least not that they will consider to be respectful. My main point is there is zero excuse for any LEO once realizing a citizen is in the right to carry the conversation any further. IMO it was his responsibility to leave immediately, and calm down. He proceeded to give me a 10 minute speech, for no reason.....about wasting his time.

Just tell him, Sir, with all respect I will be the first one to have your back if you are having an issue on a dark road but I did not purposely evade your license check point. I am sorry you feel I did. I am not trying to be rude but unless I am legally detained or I am under arrest for something , I have work to do..Have a safe night and be careful..


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.