Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Today's Negative LEO Interaction - License Check "Avoidance"

Notices
Like Tree88Likes

Today's Negative LEO Interaction - License Check "Avoidance"

Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 PM
  #101  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,373
Default

Originally Posted by dssmith View Post
My interaction with the officer in your case would have been the following:

I would not respond or answer anything regarding any of his leading statements or questions.
I would provide my license and registration as requested.
When the officer persisted with "why did your avoid...why didn't you go to the check point...how much you have been drinking....etc" I would have replied immediately with the following:
"Thank you for your time officer. I only respond to police questioning with my lawyer present."

You notice the policeman was using any language he could to get you to incriminate yourself. Police can lie, badger, harass, or lead on anybody any time. It's what they do!

Thus, it's best to view all police interactions as potentially hostile. Silently give them the information they request, and tell them you only communicate with them via your lawyer. Wish them a good day and be on with your life.
I 100% agree with you...and I doubt I would have been as nice or as patient as the OP...however this would work much better in a larger/more populated area. In a small town. I'm from one, cops there would put a target on you. Go out of their way to make life harder for you. OP is trying to keep that from happening.
thefuzz is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:52 PM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,806
Default

Is anybody using WAZE anymore? I used to use it a lot, and would think something like a checkpoint would show up in BIG RED ICONS and a proper voice warning prior to your last available turn. Does it?

I haven't used WAZE as much recently because it seemed to not be as reliable as it once was, I think mostly because it was downloading and updating all kinds of crap not related to actual traffic (restaurant ads, local businesses, etc). I don't know if they fixed it since I stopped using it.
km1125 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:14 PM
  #103  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,384
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
I 100% agree with you...and I doubt I would have been as nice or as patient as the OP...however this would work much better in a larger/more populated area. In a small town. I'm from one, cops there would put a target on you. Go out of their way to make life harder for you. OP is trying to keep that from happening.
exactly what Iím trying to avoid. I donít live in the town that was holding the checkpoint, but they have traffic patrol authority right up to one entrance of my neighborhood. I avoid the route that goes through their jurisdiction to the extent possible.

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
Is anybody using WAZE anymore? I used to use it a lot, and would think something like a checkpoint would show up in BIG RED ICONS and a proper voice warning prior to your last available turn. Does it?

I haven't used WAZE as much recently because it seemed to not be as reliable as it once was, I think mostly because it was downloading and updating all kinds of crap not related to actual traffic (restaurant ads, local businesses, etc). I don't know if they fixed it since I stopped using it.
I use WAZE. Issue being for license checks it requires user reporting. They are normally stationed on low-moderate traffic roads. Not all that many people passing through to start with, and even fewer report such. Typically when this group sets up they only stay in one spot for less than an hour, and then move to a different location.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 01:24 PM
  #104  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
Or...you know...people that believe in the Constitution and Bill of Rights?
.
I don't think Eastport hangs around with those type of people.
Qb1rdman is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
  #105  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 742
Default

I probably would have said ďbecause I was headed home to get a beer and didnít want to get slowed down at your checkpoint.Ē
DestinBillMe is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 03:43 PM
  #106  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 360
Default

Stuff like that is exactly why Iím not nearly as pro enforcement as I once was. I donít think it has to do with individual officers but mainly the policies made by the higher ups. They try to grab as much power as possible.

Here in Georgia today started the hands free cell phone law. This in my opinion has nothing to do with safety but rather another reason for them to pull you over. If they were serious they would enforce the no texting laws already on the books.

I cant stand check points because everyone that passes through one is made to feel like a criminal. They look for everything possible to get you on. I have never been convicted of any crime by the way.

People that donít like them arenít trying to hide anything really. They just see that it is an absolute waste of time. If they wanna get duiís off the road, take that man power and money they applied to the checkpoint and spread it out to target that in known areas.

By by the way, donít travel US 1 around the Ga/Fl line on any holidays and not expect to go through one. This includes the Thursday before the Ga/Fl game in Jacksonville.
Rferrell is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 03:51 PM
  #107  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 7,138
Default

Sounds like you dealt with this guy

Riptied likes this.
Brad1 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 04:01 PM
  #108  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
I don't think Eastport hangs around with those type of people.
They are hard to find when they are hiding behind stuff to justify the stuff they are doing illegally .

When I sobered up I stopped worrying about stops, and appreciating the fact that they help keep me and my family safe from the drunks they catch.
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:03 PM
  #109  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,403
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
I do think that "safety stops" on the water, and "traffic stops" on the highway are unconstitutional.

However, I would probably try to use a different state to prove your point...while I don't know about the tourist industry in Michigan, I do know about it in SC. That state is a bad one to use...as there is very little public transportation, no "major cities", and 3 of the largest cities are VERY tourist/alcohol driven in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head.

A closer comparison my be Georgia.
The same statements that I applied to South Carolina compared to Michigan also apply to Georgia compared to Michigan. South Carolina and Georgia have check points, Michigan does not. Per capita alcohol consumption in South Carolina and Georgia is less than per capita consumption in Michigan. There are more drunk driving fatalities/100,000 population in South Carolina and Georgia than in Michigan. On the basis of that data, the check points don't appear to reduce drunk driving fatalities.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM
  #110  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lancaster , RIC VA
Posts: 8,388
Default

Originally Posted by vincentdivincenzo View Post
I too saw a bunch of lights .one night coming back from town.
I took the back road .He lit me up with s lights.
I pulled over .and he asked me why I had avoided the Checkpoint.
I told him that I thought it was an accident.
I knew better.I don't like being fkd with Ö
Showed em license registration .No warrants .and on my way.
I aint got no problems with the BLUE.
You might need em some day .just sayin.

What violation did he pull you over for? Is it illegal there to turn around in site of a checkpoint? Or did he just say that? I was told it wasn't illegal in Va by a LEO.
GWcpa is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:32 PM
  #111  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
They are hard to find when they are hiding behind stuff to justify the stuff they are doing illegally .

When I sobered up I stopped worrying about stops, and appreciating the fact that they help keep me and my family safe from the drunks they catch.
Just to be clear. You are claiming that the majority of people that support our founding document do so because they "do stuff illegally"?
Stray Current likes this.
Qb1rdman is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 PM
  #112  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lancaster , RIC VA
Posts: 8,388
Default

Here's how a quick and simple check is done


GWcpa is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 PM
  #113  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 366
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
Just to be clear. You are claiming that the majority of people that support our founding document do so because they "do stuff illegally"?
This seems to be a very common misconception held by many people in the great left leaning swamp that is New Jerczystan.
Stray Current is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:48 PM
  #114  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,997
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
The same statements that I applied to South Carolina compared to Michigan also apply to Georgia compared to Michigan. South Carolina and Georgia have check points, Michigan does not. Per capita alcohol consumption in South Carolina and Georgia is less than per capita consumption in Michigan. There are more drunk driving fatalities/100,000 population in South Carolina and Georgia than in Michigan. On the basis of that data, the check points don't appear to reduce drunk driving fatalities.
When I was in Georgia, had a guy who worked for me..blew a 0.39...
billinstuart is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:54 PM
  #115  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
Just to be clear. You are claiming that the majority of people that support our founding document do so because they "do stuff illegally"?
Not really but I am saying they hide behind it a lot. That most of the people that complain about these stops are drunks and they are afraid they are going to lose their license in them one of these days. THAT'S what I'm saying, ok?

How do I know? I drank , I drove .
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:58 PM
  #116  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,344
Default

Originally Posted by Battlewagon View Post
Next time they are running the checkpoint you should post it up here and invite all your THT friends over 10 minutes apart.

The jail could not hold that many drunks.
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:01 PM
  #117  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
Not really but I am saying they hide behind it a lot. That most of the people that complain about these stops are drunks and they are afraid they are going to lose their license in them one of these days. THAT'S what I'm saying, ok?

How do I know? I drank , I drove .
That speaks volumes about you and your peers -- both former an current. I'm glad your sober.
Qb1rdman is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:16 PM
  #118  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,380
Default

It has been ruled that certain administrative inspections upon our public roads and waters do not rise to the level of a search, and as such are constitutional. Not really any different from the tractor trailer rigs that get stopped to ensure they meet the safety requirements. Not really any different from Customs stuff when you fly in from overseas.

OP, you were in a tough situation. That being a small town means that if you raise hell, and the officers aren't professional (we know the one who dealt with you was not) they may target you. With the benefit of time we can all say how we would have handled your situation, but I imagine you were taken aback. It would be nice if there were a way to facilitate the officer's growth, like talking to a supervisor. That conversation should have ended when he found out that you live there and the way you went was your normal practice. At that point his comment should have been. "That makes sense to me, sorry to have bothered you, and thanks for your cooperation."
autobaun70 likes this.
Paul Barnard is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 PM
  #119  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
I'm glad your sober.
Thank you, me too
autobaun70 and Qb1rdman like this.
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 PM
  #120  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 703
Default

At the point that he realized that you lived there he should have never contacted you.
If I understood your description the officer was not even in his jurisdiction when he contacted you.
It's classic small town LEO. Ask him when he gets off work and if he wants to drink a beer and hand you wrenches as you fix the tabs.
He realizes that you are not a jerk and possibly won't mess with you if he has you dead to rights with a violation.
R Days is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread