Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Today's Negative LEO Interaction - License Check "Avoidance"

Notices
Like Tree88Likes

Today's Negative LEO Interaction - License Check "Avoidance"

Old 07-02-2018, 08:58 AM
  #81  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,462
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I watch the local paper in my home town and check out the crime report each morning. Always amazed at the number of drug arrests that have a seat belt charge with them. Seems like at a minimum if you are going to ride around with meth in the car, you would wear your seat belt to avoid getting pulled over. Evidently meth heads aren't the smartest bunch.
I work in an auto shop. The amount of cars that come in that have an overwhelming smell of weed is crazy. And then they get mad when the officer tries to search the vehicle for drugs. Not very smart.
Elgreco809 is online now  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 AM
  #82  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lancaster , RIC VA
Posts: 8,394
Default

Had a cop tell me in a citizens' police academy that it is legal to turn around before a check point. But if you "break any laws" while doing that you can be pulled. So don't pop a U turn on the main road 100 yards before the check, use your signals and don't speed. Or go too slow, or have tinted windows, or an obscured license plate, or expired inspection, or .... While a police are is tailing you for the next 20 minutes if needed.
GWcpa is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 AM
  #83  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 375
Default

Do they have these in Florida? They are either illegal in Washington, or just never occur.
Lee Majors is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM
  #84  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 971
Default

Next time they are running the checkpoint you should post it up here and invite all your THT friends over 10 minutes apart.
Battlewagon is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:48 AM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 2,883
Default

Originally Posted by r.waddill View Post
I don’t know the OP sounds shady to me
many boat owners cause problems to us self respecting citizens. a common example is they put these giant motor boats in at the ramp and delay the launnch of my paddle board.
edwardh1 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:10 AM
  #86  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,602
Default

I didn't read the other reply's yet, but here is what I'd say. Number 1, you have zero jurisdiction over where I traveled, I didn't avoid you I pulled into the driveway that leads to my house, 2nd unless you suspect me of a crime you have no right to stop me in the first place, good day officer. If he continues I'd direct him to my lawyer.

Bye Bye now officer.
YFMF is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 AM
  #87  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 2,897
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
AND IN BIG LETTERS. I AM NOT A FAN OF THEM..

6 to 3 is still a passing vote and yes anytime someone is stopped or detained it is a seizure but allowed under the law as long as there is probable cause or within the law and not a violation of your rights...
I made no comments on your personal opinion, and I quoted you in full where you stated that you were not a fan. My reply was simply meant to give some background on the decision by the supreme court which you brought up.

No probable cause for the stop on a "license check" so the stop has to be justified some other way.

Last edited by dell30rb; 07-02-2018 at 11:16 AM.
dell30rb is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:16 AM
  #88  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,831
Default

Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
And I quoted your post where you said that... my reply is simply meant to give some background on the decision by the supreme court.

No probable cause for the stop on a "license check" so the stop has to be justified some other way.
The PC is that it is that checkpoints are allowed by law and the ruling..

Also to answer one question, my understanding (I am not a traffic guy) is that the checkpoint must be set up with signage and in a way to allow you to turn off on side roads but u turns are a no no. This could have been just policy at my old department, so I am not positive what is legally required..
Cracker is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 AM
  #89  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 2,897
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
I do think that "safety stops" on the water, and "traffic stops" on the highway are unconstitutional.
I don't know what kind of legal fenangling was used to make no-probable-cause boating safety stops legal. Appears to be a bunch of state by state case law where the courts have justified them as reasonable with quite a bit of tongue twisting. Would really like to see the supreme court take a look at that one, the boating "safety checks" are significantly more intrusive and time consuming than a highway patrol checkpoint.
dell30rb is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 AM
  #90  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,382
Default

Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
I don't know what kind of legal fenangling was used to make no-probable-cause boating safety stops legal. Appears to be a bunch of state by state case law where the courts have justified them as reasonable with quite a bit of tongue twisting. Would really like to see the supreme court take a look at that one, the boating "safety checks" are significantly more intrusive and time consuming than a highway patrol checkpoint.
Agreed.

I love the fact that I'm now getting stopped so much less than in the past. When I was in my teens and 20's, I couldn't get a mile down the waterway without blue lights behind me....now that I'm in my late 30's (and so are the bikinis that ride with me) I'm all of a sudden not getting stopped for "safety checks".

Wonder what happened? I have a much faster boat, there are no lifejackets visible, someone on the boat typically has a beer in their hands, and my stereo us much louder to boot......don't get stopped.
thefuzz is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:53 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

My experiences are that the only people that are concerned about roadside checks are the people that have a reason to be concerned about roadside checks, including me a long time ago when I drank (and I often drove after a few).
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 11:56 AM
  #92  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,382
Default

Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
My experiences are that the only people that are concerned about roadside checks are the people that have a reason to be concerned about roadside checks, including me a long time ago when I drank (and I often drove after a few).
Or...you know...people that believe in the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

Any talk of the 2nd amendment around here and people come out of the woodwork to defend it to the letter. A different law/right....and it's "not so important" all of a sudden.
Zardoz likes this.
thefuzz is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 PM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Shore, MA
Posts: 2,097
Default

Sorry but I'd be pissed too. There is the definition of "nothing better to do". All cops used to consider themselves public servants, now its just discipline and enforcement! I really hope they go back to being more a part of the community! When I was a kid, although somewhat of a trouble maker, I always felt like you could go to a cop for help. Now we fear and avoid interactions with them whenever possible. Not good!
OutFishing likes this.
Zardoz is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:06 PM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
Or...you know...people that believe in the Constitution and Bill of Rights?

Any talk of the 2nd amendment around here and people come out of the woodwork to defend it to the letter. A different law/right....and it's "not so important" all of a sudden.
Oh
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM
  #95  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,831
Default

Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Sorry but I'd be pissed too. There is the definition of "nothing better to do". All cops used to consider themselves public servants, now its just discipline and enforcement! I really hope they go back to being more a part of the community! When I was a kid, although somewhat of a trouble maker, I always felt like you could go to a cop for help. Now we fear and avoid interactions with them whenever possible. Not good!
Yea, it would not be you that has the problem....... not the cops.....Hmmm

Last edited by Cracker; 07-02-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Cracker is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM
  #96  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,452
Default

Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
My experiences are that the only people that are concerned about roadside checks are the people that have a reason to be concerned about roadside checks, including me a long time ago when I drank (and I often drove after a few).
Ever gotten the pleasure of being the DD, and getting harassed at a license check? I get a bit of extra scrutiny when the whole vehicle smells like a bar......but the full stand on one leg and count backwards from 473 routine is a bit much.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:16 PM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,431
Default

The only person that has time for a police lecture on your property about what they would prefer you do is the guy making hours. I would have loved to tell the officer that I was sorry his checkpoint didn't go well but if he wants to hang around and talk he can pick up a wrench and help fix the boat. Otherwise have a great day.
Milehog and OutFishing like this.
Blythe1022 is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:21 PM
  #98  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 2,897
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
Agreed.

I love the fact that I'm now getting stopped so much less than in the past. When I was in my teens and 20's, I couldn't get a mile down the waterway without blue lights behind me....now that I'm in my late 30's (and so are the bikinis that ride with me) I'm all of a sudden not getting stopped for "safety checks".
Same experience here.. they just use "safety checks" to profile the hell out of you. Back in college we used to go out on my friend's old boston whaler all the time in the Wilmington NC area, it was a comedy watching how fast we'd get pulled over. One day we got pulled... I kid you not about 8 minutes later we are getting stopped again! Also kinda funny watching the officers get all excited when my friend would inevitably start stumbling on the ABC's (he has dyslexia).
dell30rb is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:30 PM
  #99  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,382
Default

Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
Same experience here.. they just use "safety checks" to profile the hell out of you. Back in college we used to go out on my friend's old boston whaler all the time in the Wilmington NC area, it was a comedy watching how fast we'd get pulled over. One day we got pulled... I kid you not about 8 minutes later we are getting stopped again! Also kinda funny watching the officers get all excited when my friend would inevitably start stumbling on the ABC's (he has dyslexia).
That's where I live.

I got pulled 4 times riding from Surf City to Wrightsville one afternoon. 4 times. 3 guys, 2 girls, no alcohol or drugs on board....was in my teens.
thefuzz is offline  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:32 PM
  #100  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,298
Default

My interaction with the officer in your case would have been the following:

I would not respond or answer anything regarding any of his leading statements or questions.
I would provide my license and registration as requested.
When the officer persisted with "why did your avoid...why didn't you go to the check point...how much you have been drinking....etc" I would have replied immediately with the following:
"Thank you for your time officer. I only respond to police questioning with my lawyer present."

You notice the policeman was using any language he could to get you to incriminate you. Police can lie, badger, harass, or lead on anybody any time. It's what they do!

Thus, it's best to view all police interactions as potentially hostile. Silently give them the information they request, and tell them you only communicate with them via your lawyer. Wish them a good day and be on with your life.
Lee Majors and OutFishing like this.

Last edited by dssmith; 07-02-2018 at 08:46 PM.
dssmith is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread