Notices
Like Tree35Likes

Crop dusters

Old 06-28-2018, 04:31 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default Crop dusters

Them some ballsy sum biches.

Watching one out back of the house.
Ain't no fn way I could do that.
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: South of the North Pole
Posts: 695
Default

That's what flying is about. I'd love to do it. When I was in California the neighbor had nut trees. Had two helos for dusting. Said he couldn't take me with him because of insurance and I'd displace the chemical.
​​​​​​He really knew how to fly that thing
1976K204x4 likes this.
waybomb is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:42 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 3,942
Default

Did you know there are no bad cropdusters?

The good ones are alive.
nccoaster is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:45 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default

This is a single prop plane.
Sounds like Snoopy and the Red Baron out here.

makes me nervous watching
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:46 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Where the sun don't shine
Posts: 565
Default

It seems pretty impressive. I love watching them do the neighbors field. I also like when the helo comes down my power line with the giant saw blades hanging below it. Pretty impressive as well.
1976K204x4 likes this.
turquoiseblue is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:49 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,553
Default

I'm been known to drop of a few good ones at the local Walmart.
The admiral gives me the stink-eye... lol



...wait, are you talking planes or some well timed gaseous releases?
Lprizman, Qb1rdman, donjay and 1 others like this.
roozter is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:50 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,024
Default

Video????
Lprizman likes this.
bluffman2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:59 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,998
Default

I was taking flying lessons and my instructor asked if he could bring a friend, I said sure, We were doing touch and goes in a crosswind. I kept doing "floaty" landings. His friend in the back seat asked why don't you just drive it on the runway. My instructor and I just rolled our eyes. He asked me if I minded letting the guy see how hard it was, I said sure. Next time around the friend was flying, we came in at tree top level and dropped like a rock at the end of the runway flying about 6 inches off the ground, chirp, chirp, he drove it right onto the runway. I knew I'd been had.

He was a crop duster and had the scars to prove it, he was going under some wires when his engine died, the plane hit sideways tumbled and caught on fire. He crawled out and a power company truck pulled up and hit him with a fire extinguisher. He had scars all over his arms and body but still crop dusted
FishnDive is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 04:59 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Originally Posted by roozter View Post
I'm been known to drop of a few good ones at the local Walmart.
The admiral gives me the stink-eye... lol



...wait, are you talking planes or some well timed gaseous releases?
Took 6 posts.
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:01 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Originally Posted by bluffman2 View Post
Video????
Unfortunately no
Not sure I could follow him if I tried
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:02 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,152
Default

We had banner plane crash yesterday,killing the pilot,35 years old.

a biplane that flew over our neighborhood couple of times a day.
jpcanning is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Originally Posted by FishnDive View Post
I was taking flying lessons and my instructor asked if he could bring a friend, I said sure, We were doing touch and goes in a crosswind. I kept doing "floaty" landings. His friend in the back seat asked why don't you just drive it on the runway. My instructor and I just rolled our eyes. He asked me if I minded letting the guy see how hard it was, I said sure. Next time around the friend was flying, we came in at tree top level and dropped like a rock at the end of the runway flying about 6 inches off the ground, chirp, chirp, he drove it right onto the runway. I knew I'd been had.

He was a crop duster and had the scars to prove it, he was going under some wires when his engine died, the plane hit sideways tumbled and caught on fire. He crawled out and a power company truck pulled up and hit him with a fire extinguisher. He had scars all over his arms and body but still crop dusted
No doubt in my mind they are a different breed.
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:11 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lancaster , RIC VA
Posts: 8,331
Default

If its a yellow turbine Air Tractor in VA or NC it's probably my friend that flies out of Hanover. He's wide open now after all this rain putting down fertilizer. The number of hours he has is incredible. He will stop traffic...and people will call 911 on occasion not realizing he's supposed to be flying like that.
1976K204x4 likes this.
GWcpa is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:29 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Double post
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Originally Posted by GWcpa View Post
If its a yellow turbine Air Tractor in VA or NC it's probably my friend that flies out of Hanover. He's wide open now after all this rain putting down fertilizer. The number of hours he has is incredible. He will stop traffic...and people will call 911 on occasion not realizing he's supposed to be flying like that.
Probably him!
Yellow plane and I'm not far from Hanover by air.
Center Cross, VA

We saw him a few years ago while on the boat and it freaked me out when he made that 1st dive.


Tell him I said thanks for the show.
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lancaster , RIC VA
Posts: 8,331
Default

That's him. Will do!
Lprizman and 1976K204x4 like this.
GWcpa is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:46 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,028
Default

Crop dusters are fun to watch . I was working along a major power line area , really just orange groves . and those power line helicopter guys came through . This guy would fly along the row and drop a guy off on top of a pole/tower and leave him there than drop off another 1 or 2 then go back and pick the first in a magnum pi type helo . They weren't there long , inspection maybe ? I was west of a Nuke plant so there was some major lines .
1976K204x4 likes this.
ed d is online now  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:53 PM
  #18  
tka
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location:
Posts: 726
Default

My grandparents ran a crop dusting service years ago in South Georgia with a radial engine Air Tractor. I spent every minute I could at the airstrip on their farm they operated from. If we are traveling and see one working I usually have to stop and watch. The craziest thing is realizing that in some parts of the country they do their crop dusting at night.


Lprizman and 1976K204x4 like this.
tka is offline  
Old 06-28-2018, 05:59 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,028
Default

Originally Posted by tka View Post
My grandparents ran a crop dusting service years ago in South Georgia with a radial engine Air Tractor. I spent every minute I could at the airstrip on their farm they operated from. If we are traveling and see one working I usually have to stop and watch. The craziest thing is realizing that in some parts of the country they do their crop dusting at night.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=10BYCPrxgsM
In online Smithsonian Air & Space mag(free) a couple years age there was an article on crop dusting which talked about the Night work - dangerous stuff .

Mosquito control in Martin co Fl would fly a twin around pretty low into the night which could startle you .
ed d is online now  
Old 06-28-2018, 06:41 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,176
Default

Delivered a load of fertilizer to some crop duster in Greenwood, Alabama once (beautiful place). I had on 25 tons and remember when I pulled up there was no facility, just a runway and a small portable auger. Thought "Great!.. Gonna be here all day."
Then the young jitterbug that was helping the pilot said it wouldn't take long, said the plane would have me unloaded in 3 trips???
That seemed to me to be a lot of weight for a single engine plane to take off with but....
We loaded that plane up the first time around and when he took off that engine and prop were rumbling & shaking the ground. After he dumped his load that same plane came back in quiet and barely breathing hard... Loaded him up again and the ground shook when he took off.
Don't know much about planes but I do know as far as planes go, that was the Mack Truck of planes.
GWcpa and 1976K204x4 like this.
BlueRudy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread