Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Replacing Vinyl Siding With Hardy Board. Worth It On Resale

Notices
Like Tree12Likes

Replacing Vinyl Siding With Hardy Board. Worth It On Resale

Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 PM
  #1  
AC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Fl.
Posts: 1,307
Default Replacing Vinyl Siding With Hardy Board. Worth It On Resale

Got a two story at the beach, first floor block, second floor vinyl siding. I hate it. Wss quoted 14k to replace with Hardy board. Thinking this is a no brainer on resale. What say you? Worth it?
AC is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 04:59 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,967
Default

Ask yourself this question. If there were two identical houses one next to the other, one with vinyl the other would Hardy. Would the Hardy house sell for at least $14,000 more?

Often the answer is no. However the Hardy house would sell first at maybe a small premium, but not $14,000 more. Opinions may vary.
DavenFla and Double tyme like this.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Surfside Beach, TX, USA
Posts: 2,471
Default

As SeaJay said, the incremental value probably isn't worth 14K.

If the home is a typical size and it's just the second story, I'm thinking that's about 2k in materials, plus $500 to rent the scaffolding or pair of ladders for the duration of the task.
Add another $500 in paint. This leaves 11k in profit for the contractor.

Sure, Hardy board or Hardy panel is nice. But not that nice.
savage is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 05:36 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

On a resale level, no it is not worth it and your house will not get a premium because of having hardi siding.
Jersus is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 06:36 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,588
Default

YES

It will improve the curb appeal and marketabilty of your house, which means it will sell more quickly and you are less likely to see a buyer try and push back on your ask as they contemplate the cost to replace old vinyl siding. Will you get your money back, maybe, but then there is also the time value of money when you sell your place more quickly.

Hardi is a great product and it will insulate better than crappy vinyl.
Fish'nFool is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 07:17 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ojai, Ca
Posts: 3,438
Default

Hardy is crap, they used to mke roofing, you know why they quit, because the stuff deteriorates in water, saw a roof that had a leaking swamp cooler, it dripped and it finally dripped all the way through the Hardy roof, turned it to the consistancy of graham crackers
805gregg is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 07:28 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Kent Island, MD
Posts: 196
Default

My parents have had it on their OCMD beach house for close to 20 years now and it has held up fine, with the expection of having to do touch up paint ever couple years. That’s less to do with the quality of the siding as it does from blowing sand.

it looks WAY nicer than vinyl siding and I would think as was mentioned your place would sell much quicker than a comparable with vinyl. Will you recoup all your cash, probably not. But is you HATE the siding as you’ve mentioned there isn’t a better reason. If your staying for the foreseeable future I wouldn’t worry.
KIMDer is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,332
Default

An appraiser is not going to give you that much of a bump...increasing the square footage...big bump....adding granite....not so much.
alfnator likes this.
thefuzz is online now  
Old 06-02-2018, 07:34 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,746
Default

Ocean front with vinyl siding? Is that crap even wind rated???
chrispnet likes this.
billinstuart is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:04 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,588
Default

Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Hardy is crap, they used to mke roofing, you know why they quit, because the stuff deteriorates in water, saw a roof that had a leaking swamp cooler, it dripped and it finally dripped all the way through the Hardy roof, turned it to the consistancy of graham crackers
This is not a conversation about a roofing application. It is not offered as a roofing material. In fact Hardi advises against this application. As a siding material it is superior to vinyl and wood.
Fish'nFool is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by savage View Post
As SeaJay said, the incremental value probably isn't worth 14K.

If the home is a typical size and it's just the second story, I'm thinking that's about 2k in materials, plus $500 to rent the scaffolding or pair of ladders for the duration of the task.
Add another $500 in paint. This leaves 11k in profit for the contractor.

Sure, Hardy board or Hardy panel is nice. But not that nice.
what line of business are you in?

nobody is painting a house for $500.

Labor to to do the whole thing is not free.

11k profit? You are crazy. GC lucky to see 10-15% profit.
Mark Y and cummins28 like this.
AsurfAholic is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 373
Default

Originally Posted by Fish'nFool View Post
This is not a conversation about a roofing application. It is not offered as a roofing material. In fact Hardi advises against this application. As a siding material it is superior to vinyl and wood.
I believe hardie has been sued over just about every product they've sold. I think they are on version 3 of their lap siding. I'd consider it a mediocre product at best. I've installed many different siding products and Hardie isn't even close to being "superior". I put it on the back of my house but switched over to real cedar claps for the front and sides.
Sued over their roofing too...
James Hardie Building Products settled a class action lawsuit stemming from the premature delamination of roof shakes it sold between 1989 and 2001, the Mission Viejo, Calif., company announced last November.
Team Rock On is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:45 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,588
Default

Originally Posted by Team Rock On View Post
I think hardie has been sued over just about every product they've sold. I think they are on version 3 of their lap siding. I'd consider it a mediocre product at best. I've installed many different siding products and Hardie isn't even close to being "superior". I put it on the back of my house but switched over to real cedar claps for the front and sides.
Sued over their roofing too...
James Hardie Building Products settled a class action lawsuit stemming from the premature delamination of roof shakes it sold between 1989 and 2001, the Mission Viejo, Calif., company announced last November.
Again they no longer offer a roofing product and this is not a thread about a roof application.

Never experienced or seen an issue with premature Hardi siding failure nor am I aware of any law suits related to the siding. Can't say the same for other inferior brands of cement siding.

9 times out of 10, issues arise due to improper installation.

It is a very good product and I stand by my statement that it is a superior choice to wood and vinyl in a siding application.

30 yr non prorated warranty.
mojohalibut likes this.

Last edited by Fish'nFool; 06-02-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Fish'nFool is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,481
Default

Do you have a rough idea of square footage of siding needed? That would at least give a good idea whether $14000 is a decent price for the job.
For the record, I am not a Hardie fan either. Bugs don't eat it but that is about all I like about it.
muskrattown is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 11,137
Default

Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
Ocean front with vinyl siding? Is that crap even wind rated???

This. When Katrina hit Grand Isle, LA I was down there a good bit cleaning my stuff and helping some friends. EVERY single building that had vinyl had extensive damage and every single building that had Hardi was perfect. Same with metal roofs vs. shingles. I did see some metal roof damage but it looked more like the results of improper installation.
Back-in-Black is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 880
Default

Originally Posted by Fish'nFool View Post
YES

It will improve the curb appeal and marketabilty of your house, which means it will sell more quickly and you are less likely to see a buyer try and push back on your ask as they contemplate the cost to replace old vinyl siding. Will you get your money back, maybe, but then there is also the time value of money when you sell your place more quickly.

Hardi is a great product and it will insulate better than crappy vinyl.
This. It will sell more quickly. Every month (assuming you have a mortgage) is worth the interest part of the payment.
captwill_80 is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 373
Default

Hardie's been sued multiple times for their defective siding and bogus claims. They revise their install specs and warranty coverage yearly. You better check the fine print on your "30 yr non prorated warranty".

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...S1264D20151222
Team Rock On is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:16 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 880
Default

Originally Posted by Team Rock On View Post
I believe hardie has been sued over just about every product they've sold. I think they are on version 3 of their lap siding. I'd consider it a mediocre product at best. I've installed many different siding products and Hardie isn't even close to being "superior". I put it on the back of my house but switched over to real cedar claps for the front and sides.
Sued over their roofing too...
James Hardie Building Products settled a class action lawsuit stemming from the premature delamination of roof shakes it sold between 1989 and 2001, the Mission Viejo, Calif., company announced last November.
Look up Supradur Slate. Similar issues. No issues with Hardie Siding though.
captwill_80 is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,746
Default

It's regional. Hardi is an excellent siding in Florida. Wind resistant and wind rated. Durable. Down here, vinyl siding is crap.
billinstuart is offline  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 22,746
Default

Originally Posted by Back-in-Black View Post
This. When Katrina hit Grand Isle, LA I was down there a good bit cleaning my stuff and helping some friends. EVERY single building that had vinyl had extensive damage and every single building that had Hardi was perfect. Same with metal roofs vs. shingles. I did see some metal roof damage but it looked more like the results of improper installation.
Metal roofing properly installed fared BEST here in hurricanes. Shingles were probably the poorest.
billinstuart is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread