Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Dock Pilings - Fraying & Repair options

Notices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SaltyShepherd

Dock Pilings - Fraying & Repair options

Old 05-31-2018, 11:48 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Cool Dock Pilings - Fraying & Repair options

Does anyone have a solution to Dock Pilings that are fraying badly because of lattice around piling??...due to friction from boat line rubbing constantly??

Is there a stronger more durable wood to use...or PVC pipe cover over existing piling??

see picture attachment link below.

Thank you,
Attached Images  
fishon99 is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mystic Island, NJ
Posts: 703
Default

Is it possible to put a cleat on the deck and use that instead of using the piling itself?
RyanL11 likes this.
SaltyShepherd is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:52 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,130
Default

pieces of starboard instead of those wood "slats?"

What does that line do? Does the dock ride up and down piling or is that a fixed pier?
schoolsout1 is online now  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,130
Default

If that's a mooring line tied to another piling out in water, get a pully and put at top of other piling with a soup can full of lead as weight. Have that line pass through pulley, and attach to line fixed to top (or somewhere on piling getting frayed) with a clip. When docking up, unclip and hook the fixed line to bow of boat and weighted line to rear of boat. As tide rises/drops, the line is kept tight by weight of lead and boat stays out from dock. Assuming your boat is not some large boat and weight wouldn't be enough to keep tight.
schoolsout1 is online now  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ & MV
Posts: 3,940
Default

Tie a clove hitch around the piling then a very tight bowline.

Last edited by aubv; 05-31-2018 at 04:26 PM.
aubv is online now  
Old 05-31-2018, 01:48 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 722
Default

outdoor carpet
bobeast is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:09 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 543
Default

There is a large variety of dock/piling fenders and bumpers available. Google is your friend.
Drako is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:17 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Default

Originally Posted by SaltyShepherd View Post
Is it possible to put a cleat on the deck and use that instead of using the piling itself?
Possible....but prefer not to.
what about removing existing cheap wood and putting IPE ?
THX
fishon99 is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:25 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
pieces of starboard instead of those wood "slats?"

What does that line do? Does the dock ride up and down piling or is that a fixed pier?
It is fixed...line is from bow of vessel. the vessel is 180 ft. ALL lines are tied to pilings as shown. There are no cleats on dock....only the pilings.
any other ideas??
Thanks for response!!
fishon99 is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:25 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,713
Default

The lattice is sacrifical, use something hard like IPE and you will be having to fix the boat. I have seen old cloth fire hose used.

Sorry, I just re-read. If the dock line is causing that I would consider strips of AZEK. Plastic "lumber" it will allow line to slip up and down more than the wood strips.
muskrattown is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:32 PM
  #11  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Posts: 2,371
Default

Originally Posted by fishon99 View Post
Does anyone have a solution to Dock Pilings that are fraying badly because of lattice around piling??...due to friction from boat line rubbing constantly??

Is there a stronger more durable wood to use...or PVC pipe cover over existing piling??

see picture attachment link below.

Thank you,
Recently had new pilings, dock, sea wall completed. They "dressed" the pilings with the same Composite material as
top of the dock. Will probably long outlast the pilings. Cleats are heavy Aluminum with 6" long Stainless Lags. Need to
replace the dock lines now.
SplashFL is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,130
Default

Originally Posted by fishon99 View Post
It is fixed...line is from bow of vessel. the vessel is 180 ft. ALL lines are tied to pilings as shown. There are no cleats on dock....only the pilings.
any other ideas??
Thanks for response!!
I don't think my soup can full of lead idea would work for a 180'er!
schoolsout1 is online now  
Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Surfside Beach, TX, USA
Posts: 2,500
Default

The guy across the canal built a new dock, with plastic tubes surrounding the pilings to a couple inches above the normal high tide, then cement filled the tubes.
Different than tying off a 55 meter vessel, but this plan might be cost effective and long lasting if you can go that way.
savage is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:08 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Default

Originally Posted by muskrattown View Post
The lattice is sacrifical, use something hard like IPE and you will be having to fix the boat. I have seen old cloth fire hose used.

Sorry, I just re-read. If the dock line is causing that I would consider strips of AZEK. Plastic "lumber" it will allow line to slip up and down more than the wood strips.
so u think AZEk would be better than IPE ?
Thanks for your input !!!
Thank you...appreciate your input
fishon99 is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 0
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
I don't think my soup can full of lead idea would work for a 180'er!
smaller v
boat yes. Thanks for the input@!
fishon99 is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:20 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Delaware
Posts: 340
Default

Apply sika 35 epoxy clear or Sherman Williams macropoxy 646 with 1 coat of acrylon 218, as a top coat. We use this system at the ports, and un tugs.
Delduck is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,739
Default

Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
Apply sika 35 epoxy clear or Sherman Williams macropoxy 646 with 1 coat of acrylon 218, as a top coat. We use this system at the ports, and un tugs.
I agree; sealing the wood with an epoxy or epoxy based product would be way easier. Use a slow set so it has time to soak in.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 06:48 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vero Beach & Shelter Island
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by fishon99 View Post
so u think AZEk would be better than IPE ?
Thanks for your input !!!
Thank you...appreciate your input
IPE is very hard to work with when you’re trying to cut small pieces...I’d go with a composite. Might save you a finger or 2!
Amonte1965 is offline  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 572
Default

sanding and sealing well with epoxy as they said above might be easier
99yam40 is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread