Notices
Like Tree7Likes

Oregon Inlet v Jupiter inlet

Old 05-29-2018, 07:32 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smoky Mountains of NC
Posts: 668
Default Oregon Inlet v Jupiter inlet

So here is a list of inlets I have navigated in my life. In NC I have been in/out of the Beaufort, Masonboro, Carolina Beach , Cape Fear , Little River. In South Carolina I have been in out of Little River, Murrell's, Georgetown, Charleston, and Hilton Head area. In Florida I have been in and out of St. Mary's, St. John's River, St. Augustine, Ponce Inlet , Sebastian Inlet, Fort Pierce Inlet, St. Lucie Inlet Lake Worth, Suwannee River Mouth, Apalachicola, St. Joe Bay and Panama City Beach. The biggest pucker factor inlets I have navigated are Sebastian and the St. John's River. Last time I was Fort Pierce two years ago I did not make it out. There were 40-50 sport fishers who turned around on the outgoing tide against 15 knot East wind. There were huge standing waves across the bar. I turned around. My crew goated me but I did not cross. As we watched boats twice our size turn around my crew thanked me.

There is a lot of video of Jupiter Inlet and I have no desire to navigate it. I have heard a lot of stories about the famed Oregon Inlet in Outerbanks. So, which one has the biggest pucker factor and why? Anybody have Outerbanks inlet videos of bad things going wrong to compare with Jupiter?

Last edited by SmokyMtnGrady; 05-30-2018 at 06:24 PM.
SmokyMtnGrady is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 08:05 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 9,108
Default

I don't see boyton on your list. They are listed as non- navigable Inlets.
WPBTH is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 08:08 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Paradise, FL
Posts: 1,277
Default

I can only speak for Jupiter, having navigated it literally thousands of times over the past 40 years in everything from a 15' jupiter tri-hull to a 29 seavee, in every condition below gale. Common sense and basic skills will serve you well. You need local knowledge, seamanship skills, and good judgement. Armed with that, there will be no spectacular videos to share.
WaterDamage is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 491
Default

TwiceBlessed is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
Default

Seriously, all inlets are different so what's the point of comparing them? On a bad day any one of them can do you in. Use some common sense and stay out of harms way!
flaman is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 1,216
Default

I grew up fishing out of Jupiter. It's narrow, shallow and the shoal from the north has pushed its way south in front of the mouth. Combine that with an east wind and an outgoing tide, and you've got a violent combo on your hands. When i was a kid though, it was dangerous enough, but at least you could run straight out. Not any more. Now, everybody hugs that south jetty both going out and coming in. Boynton is even narrower and can be just as sketchy.

I have also navigated oregon inlet. The bar crossing is the most dangerous part if you ask me. You've gotta time the sets and ride the backs in. Much like jupiter, you cannot rush it. Mother nature will always win. However, the channel inside the bar to the bridge is constantly moving also, which makes navigating it a challenge if you aren't in and out it all of the time. You can be just as screwed if you mess up between the bar and the bridge. Especially if the current is moving quickly.

I've had some hair standing rides through both of them. But the one thing that stays consistent with both is that you simply can't rush the flow of water. You just can't be in a hurry. Keep your cool, read the water and just take your time through it if its rough. A panic reaction only leads to a sunk boat and/or injured people. Although, I think that goes for any inlet.
SmokyMtnGrady likes this.
ProblemChild23 is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 03:49 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,093
Default

Originally Posted by ProblemChild23 View Post
I grew up fishing out of Jupiter. It's narrow, shallow and the shoal from the north has pushed its way south in front of the mouth. Combine that with an east wind and an outgoing tide, and you've got a violent combo on your hands. When i was a kid though, it was dangerous enough, but at least you could run straight out. Not any more. Now, everybody hugs that south jetty both going out and coming in. Boynton is even narrower and can be just as sketchy.

I have also navigated oregon inlet. The bar crossing is the most dangerous part if you ask me. You've gotta time the sets and ride the backs in. Much like jupiter, you cannot rush it. Mother nature will always win. However, the channel inside the bar to the bridge is constantly moving also, which makes navigating it a challenge if you aren't in and out it all of the time. You can be just as screwed if you mess up between the bar and the bridge. Especially if the current is moving quickly.

I've had some hair standing rides through both of them. But the one thing that stays consistent with both is that you simply can't rush the flow of water. You just can't be in a hurry. Keep your cool, read the water and just take your time through it if its rough. A panic reaction only leads to a sunk boat and/or injured people. Although, I think that goes for any inlet.
quoted for truth. great post
textured captain is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 03:54 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,741
Default

In the video above, the captain should have poured on the coal about 6 seconds sooner. I believe that would have raised the bow and powered over the incoming wave.

OP. You have some water under your nautical azz. Without question. Two thumbsup. I can only match 4 on your list. Lockwood Folly would be a good addition for navigating an inlet. Not so much for fishing.

I tip this margarita recognizing your experience. No joke.
SmokyMtnGrady likes this.
round2it is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 04:29 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Great Sanctuary State of New Jersey
Posts: 2,202
Default

Years ago, Barnegat was one of the worst.
Re-Bait likes this.
SeaBoss21 is online now  
Old 05-30-2018, 05:05 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 666
Default

Oregon's claim to fame probably has more to do with the shifting bottom. Markers are more just to judge your distance to where you should be rather than the actual channel. Many times you will pass 100' outside the marked channel knowing that marker is about 2' above a sandbar.
tartuffe is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 05:43 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Palm Beach
Posts: 1,397
Default

You can check out several here:https://video-monitoring.com/beachcams/ On a SE wind and outgoing tide Boynton is not pleasant. Taking one over the bow or going out sailfishing predawn in winter (N. Swell) will wake you up really fast. Went out one cold morning and rounded the north jetty and my buddy said Hold ON, as we launched over a 6' swell, the entire boat came out of the water, got out and stared at each other listening to the waves crashing behind us...
LWLoadie is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,215
Default

I've run Ft Pierce to Palm beach inlets - Boynton looks like it wants to Kill you
ed d is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:03 PM
  #13  
REZ
Senior Member
 
REZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: LBI & PA.
Posts: 1,715
Default

Barnegat inlet can still be quite scary.
REZ is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:08 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,489
Default

Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGrady View Post
So here is a list of inlets I have navigated in my life. In NC I have been in/out of the Beaufort, Masonboro, Carolina Beach , Cape Fear , Little River. In South Carolina I have been in out of Little River, Murrell's, Georgetown, Charleston, and Hilton Head area. In Florida I have been in and out of St. Mary's, St. John's River, St. Augustine, Ponce Inlet , Sebastian Inlet, Fort Pierce Inlet, St. Lucie Inlet Lake Worth, Suwannee River Mouth, Apalachicola, St. Joe Bay and Panama City Beach. The biggest pucker factor inlets I have navigated are Sebastian and the St. John's River. Last time I was Fort Pierce two years ago I did make it out. There were 40-50 sport fishers who turned around on the outgoing tide against 15 knot East wind. There were huge standing waves across the bar. I turned around. My crew goated me but I did not cross. As we watched boats twice our size turn around my crew thanked me.

There is a lot of video of Jupiter Inlet and I have no desire to navigate it. I have heard a lot of stories about the famed Oregon Inlet in Outerbanks. So, which one has the biggest pucker factor and why? Anybody have Outerbanks inlet videos of bad things going wrong to compare with Jupiter?
CB, CF and Oregon will eat your lunch in short order, despite where the buoys sit and the amount of tax payer money wasted on dredging. Masonboro and other ‘groin’ inlets aren’t as hazardous but require attention as well.
SmokyMtnGrady likes this.
back at it is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:27 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,215
Default

Just from the vids I've seen coming into Oregon is a longer process with a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong . It gets bumpy coming into Jupiter offshore but really the last 100 yds is the test - more like a Carrier landing .
ed d is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:35 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Obx
Posts: 934
Default

I live here in obx and Oregon inlet is my home town. I also spend my winters in south Florida. Oregon inlet is nothing like any inlet in Florida. The worse day in Jupiter inlet you can hold your breath and it’s over while here we have 6-10 ft of water for up to 1/4 mile or more. Giant waves w short faces peeling and dumpin. Off course there is plenty of current pushing you and the bouy around here don’t mean much. Basically shallow water for a long distance is the boat killer here.
Fishoi is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smoky Mountains of NC
Posts: 668
Default

Originally Posted by round2it View Post
In the video above, the captain should have poured on the coal about 6 seconds sooner. I believe that would have raised the bow and powered over the incoming wave.

OP. You have some water under your nautical azz. Without question. Two thumbsup. I can only match 4 on your list. Lockwood Folly would be a good addition for navigating an inlet. Not so much for fishing.

I tip this margarita recognizing your experience. No joke.
Thanks Round2it. I trailer my boat everywhere. I like exploring new water, so we go places with our boat. I have to say though I read stories of OI and see the videos of Jupiter and think, nope I don't want any part of that. As it is Sebastian just gets nasty on an outgoing tide. I have been in and out of that thing when I felt nervous and had life jackets on. I fish a bit out of Port Canaveral in part because it's so predictable coming and going in and out of the Port. Charleston Harbor gets some big standing waves on an outgoing tide too.
I have learned my hull needs to have the tabs up motor trimmed out some and do what we can to get the bow up. Jupiter looks to be a challenge for small boats. I tend to think Sebastian and Jupiter are bad because they are man made. They are narrow and are a funnel for forcing fast water through them than say Ponce or St. Augustine.

Some ask why compare inlets? Well if you take your boat beyond your home port having knowledge of other inlets is a good thing. If and when we go back to the Abacos, I will depart and leave from Lake Worth again. In part because Jupiter can greet me with some big water on my return home. I suppose if I lived near Jupiter or Oregon Inlet, you do what you do to go fishing and learn their secrets.
​​​​​​
​​​
SmokyMtnGrady is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,588
Default

Having some fun in Oregon Inlet.

Vantaredoc likes this.
Fish'nFool is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 6,467
Default

Originally Posted by Fish'nFool View Post
Having some fun in Oregon Inlet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80TbyBfg4IM
I have witnessed those boys playing around in that nasty stuff several times. Great CG training. You probably have to go to Columbia River to get close to training like that.

If it gets really nasty those boys get a hard on.. lets go!!

Most of the normal people sit inside and watch the fun.

To me... Jupiter just looks like a different kind of animal. Respect them both.

I ran OI at least 75 times and knew when not to test it. Jupiter looks more susceptible to bad conditions on normal days.
HeadHunt is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:59 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,215
Default

Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGrady View Post
Some ask why compare inlets?​​​​​
It's interesting . Why do mountain climbers compare mountains . We battle mother nature and Kill fish , F Ya , wouldn't have it any other way
Smoky
ed d is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread