Notices
Like Tree122Likes

Blocking two handicap spaces

Old 05-25-2018, 04:20 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,099
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
You would probably like it..
Not a chance....I've gotten it twice and it's not fun.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 04:21 PM
  #42  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,051
Default

The biggest problem I have is the hands were in the pocket and he could’ve come out with a Derringer and shot the cop square Between the eyes
bluffman2 is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 04:40 PM
  #43  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oak Island, NC
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by bluffman2 View Post
The biggest problem I have is the hands were in the pocket and he could’ve come out with a Derringer and shot the cop square Between the eyes
Exactly. The time to make a point about aggressive encounters with police is not two in the morning parked for a quick get-away. It’s in front of a judge with everyone under oath.

This is nothing different than the self entitled idiots that answer their phones and block the exits. I call them meemees. It’s all about me. Add rich and privileged to the mix and someone is likely to call you out on your entitled bs.
jhcobb is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 04:45 PM
  #44  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston,Tx,U.S.A
Posts: 11,696
Default

Damn a couple 9's in da knee caps would make the worthless POS NBA star need that handicap placard...

Cop should have popped his worthless arse….


John
jtburf is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 04:51 PM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,099
Default

Originally Posted by jtburf View Post
Damn a couple 9's in da knee caps would make the worthless POS NBA star need that handicap placard...

Cop should have popped his worthless arse….


John

Yes, that would have been very helpful and in no way could it result it good cops getting ambushed.

-smh
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,535
Default

Sorry to ask but..... if the guy had not been a black man would the outcome have been different? Parking in handicap spots is a personal peve of mine. Same as parking in a fire lane. People need to respect the reasons for these spots no matter who you are. So the cop sees this car parked across 2 handicap spots at 2AM, it could very well have been a robbery., he doesn't know. The driver doesn't comply with instructions. Keeps his hands in his pockets. Very suspicious and threatening to an LEO.
But forget for a moment how it went down. What concerns me is the suspensions and the chief's statements. If this guy had been a white man there would probably not have been any suspensions. The department simply did not want tp appear "racist".
Cracker and gofastsandman like this.
Fiberglass1 Inc is online now  
Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 PM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,099
Default

Originally Posted by Fiberglass1 Inc View Post
Sorry to ask but..... if the guy had not been a black man would the outcome have been different? Parking in handicap spots is a personal peve of mine. Same as parking in a fire lane. People need to respect the reasons for these spots no matter who you are. So the cop sees this car parked across 2 handicap spots at 2AM, it could very well have been a robbery., he doesn't know. The driver doesn't comply with instructions. Keeps his hands in his pockets. Very suspicious and threatening to an LEO.
But forget for a moment how it went down. What concerns me is the suspensions and the chief's statements. If this guy had been a white man there would probably not have been any suspensions. The department simply did not want tp appear "racist".
A lot of questions that will never be answered. Sadly, the horse is out of the barn.

IMHO the situation would have been different if the perp (is a parking violator called a perp?) wasn't black, or 6' 6", or both.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 PM
  #48  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oak Island, NC
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
A lot of questions that will never be answered. Sadly, the horse is out of the barn.

IMHO the situation would have been different if the perp (is a parking violator called a perp?) wasn't black, or 6' 6", or both.
Plenty of entitled asses to go around, both white and black.

Double down. I’d love to hear it.
jhcobb is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:08 PM
  #49  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

Originally Posted by Fiberglass1 Inc View Post
Sorry to ask but..... if the guy had not been a black man would the outcome have been different? Parking in handicap spots is a personal peve of mine. Same as parking in a fire lane. People need to respect the reasons for these spots no matter who you are. So the cop sees this car parked across 2 handicap spots at 2AM, it could very well have been a robbery., he doesn't know. The driver doesn't comply with instructions. Keeps his hands in his pockets. Very suspicious and threatening to an LEO.
But forget for a moment how it went down. What concerns me is the suspensions and the chief's statements. If this guy had been a white man there would probably not have been any suspensions. The department simply did not want tp appear "racist".
Policing in most parts of America is seldom NOT impacted by politics and agendas..

Many not all LE administrators do what is politically best for their career. Unfortinately my experience in LE promotions are that some people are promoted that were horrible officers and yet want to be in a leadership roles when they can't even motivate themselves but because they can memorize policies that is all that is wanted.
Cracker is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 PM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,404
Default

As a parent who needs wheelchair accessible handicap parking spaces to accommodate my son, I have no use for self-entitled jerks who don't need those spaces but park in them anyway...and to take up 2? The NBA player is an asshole. So he got hassled by the cops? Good. It should happen every time he parks someplace where he should not. Maybe he'll learn to park where he's allowed to. If he doesn't want to park next to other cars, then park in the back 40 and walk, for crying out loud.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 05-25-2018 at 06:23 PM.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by BlueRudy View Post
Actually it was a pretty good comparison. Nothing moronic about it.
No it isn't in any way a good comparison. One is an outrageous moving violation, safety related, on a public road. The other is in no way safety related and on private property, where police shouldn't even be enforcing parking etiquette at taxpayer expense to begin with.

If he'd have asked if I think speeding 5mph over on an empty road in the middle of the night deserves a pass, I'd say damn right, and so would every other person posting to this board, all of whom speed in those very circumstances and many of whom would come here and bitch if they got a ticket.
ronp364 is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:28 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
As a parent who needs wheelchair accessible handicap parking spaces to accommodate my son, I have no use for self-entitled jerks who don't need those spaces but park in them anyway...and to take up 2? The NBA player is an asshole. So he got hassled by the cops? Good. It should happen every time he parks someplace where he should not. Maybe he'll learn to park where he's allowed to. If he doesn't want to park next to other cars, then park in the back 40 and walk, for crying out loud.
We don't have laws just to have them.

Yes handicapped spots exist so handicapped people don't have to walk a long way when all the close spots get taken.

But at 2am in a mostly empty parking lot, there's no risk of that. Plenty of parking spots equally close. Doesn't really matter which one is taken by whom, period.
ronp364 is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:34 PM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,404
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
We don't have laws just to have them.

Yes handicapped spots exist so handicapped people don't have to walk a long way when all the close spots get taken.

But at 2am in a mostly empty parking lot, there's no risk of that. Plenty of parking spots equally close. Doesn't really matter which one is taken by whom, period.
How would you know that? Do you think handicapped people are only entitled to use parking spaces between 8 AM and 8 PM? Have you ever transported a person who depends on a wheelchair for mobility?
THT Mod 9 likes this.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 PM
  #54  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,099
Default

Originally Posted by jhcobb View Post


Plenty of entitled asses to go around, both white and black.

Double down. I’d love to hear it.
Being an entitled ass isn't against the law.

What's the pay-out on that buffoonery.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
No it isn't in any way a good comparison. One is an outrageous moving violation, safety related, on a public road. The other is in no way safety related and on private property, where police shouldn't even be enforcing parking etiquette at taxpayer expense to begin with.

If he'd have asked if I think speeding 5mph over on an empty road in the middle of the night deserves a pass, I'd say damn right, and so would every other person posting to this board, all of whom speed in those very circumstances and many of whom would come here and bitch if they got a ticket.
I'll stay with it was a good comparison. You may not agree but your assertion it was moronic was way over the top.
If you wanna have an intelligent debate, you should express yourself like a grownup.
Cracker, Tireless and THT Mod 9 like this.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:14 PM
  #56  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10
Default

He plays for the Milwaukee Bucks. My team. And no, he shouldn’t be treated any different than anyone else. Last summer, while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin, I waited outside in my truck in a 70% empty Target parking lot while my wife shopped inside. I counted 6 vehicles occupy, pull in, pull out of handicap spots. None of them were handicapped. 5 of the 6 were from Illinois. Then, when walking through town, I had to stop my son from crossing the street through a pedestrian cross walk as cars weren’t stopping. Two occasions, both with Illinois plates. Then I showed him an example where a vehicle politely stops. Wisconsin plates. Tonight I stopped at a controlled bike crossing for a bike, but at least 6 cars coming from the opposite direction didn’t. Assuming most of those were from Illinois. Bottomline, no one respects (or at least people from Illinois) simple traffic rules and police don’t have time to police this crap. Do what’s right, and if you’re from Illinois, stay in Illinois.
0tis is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:21 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,316
Default

can't we all just get along...………………… where's my 3 million
magua is online now  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:28 PM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 1,500
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Don't be obtuse. That's not what he got tased for. That is what precipitated the encounter. He made bad choices during the encounter, and that's why he was tased.
obtuse? You’ll go to the hole Andy Dufresne.
BlueRudy and Coastal Drift like this.
rusbob is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:43 PM
  #59  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,387
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
We don't have laws just to have them.

Yes handicapped spots exist so handicapped people don't have to walk a long way when all the close spots get taken.

But at 2am in a mostly empty parking lot, there's no risk of that. Plenty of parking spots equally close. Doesn't really matter which one is taken by whom, period.

I am not certain, but I think handicap spots are wider and are marked so that there is more room to unload the equipment out of the side of a vehicle. If a handicap person parks in a regular spot then when someone pulls in right beside them, they are stuck.
THT Mod 9 likes this.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 PM
  #60  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,387
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
The real question is why did it become an "encounter" and not a parking ticket.

Answer: the guy was black, and the cop was scared.

Watch the full video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSpmk7S4eg

The cop could have been more effective with his deescalation. The basketball player should have used a simple and effective technique called compliance. That encounter unfolded the way I have seen many police encounters unfold irrespective of the race of either party. It may not be that the cop was scared. You will be taught in any police training that you have to maintain control of situations. With that in mind some officers will amp up the instant they get anything but absolute cooperation.
Paul Barnard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread