Notices
Like Tree16Likes

Are You a Runner?

Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NH & LTK
Posts: 432
Default Are You a Runner?

WARNING----THIS IS A RANT!

I despise running and always have.
I'm overweight and out of shape but that's my problem and back in the day I played multiple sports through college and played baseball after that in semi-pro leagues.
Even though I was pretty good at it, I never enjoyed running and only did it because it was part of being in shape. I suspect I was good because it was mandated and I was just trying to make it end as soon as possible.

I don't mean to pee on people's parade but I witnessed something last night that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Now I suspect a lot of these people were abusing themselves for a charity but the organizers and approving political/LEO entities responsible really need to re-consider this. There is an annual 100 mile ultra marathon that runs 24 hrs/day for 2 days and the course is Rt.1 through the FL Keys (aka the Overseas Highway). Most of the participants are NOT real runners. There were some massive bodies out there. So, the point of this is that if you know anything about the Keys you would know that Rt.1 in the Keys is probably one of the most dangerous 100 mile stretches of road anywhere in the country. And that's in a car, say nothing of riding a bike or walking/running there AT NIGHT! And these clowns are there running overnight and last night the rain was coming down sideways. Most were trying to be "visible" but in those conditions it was virtually impossible to see them. And to top it off, their support vehicles are parked all over the sides of the road, some with no lights, some facing against traffic....with their GD high beams on......aaarrrgh.
It will be a miracle if it turns out no one died last night. What a circus.
Oh, and I didn't see one single participant who was smiling. It looked like they were having an absolute ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LongJohnSilver is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 07:03 AM
  #2  
cjd
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Severna Park Md
Posts: 4,271
Default

Spoken like someone who despises running. I would also suggest that anyone doing this is a real runner. What exact body shape do I need to be a real runner?

I promise you that a a few of us have been out in crappy cold dark weather hunting for fish, and most folks would call us morons as well. Stupid? Sure. Will some of us do it again? I am guessing yes. I suspect there are some hunters here who fit the bill as well. Don't they know you can buy meat at the store for a hell of a lot less? Throwing stones can be tricky.
FASTFJR and kelleyja like this.
cjd is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NH & LTK
Posts: 432
Default

been out in crappy cold dark weather hunting for fish,
Of course, but not in the middle of an extraordinarily busy and dangerous road!
LongJohnSilver is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Cape Coral, FL.
Posts: 564
Default

I learned to run, not by choice, in the Marine Corps. I hate running... but I do it. IMO, it is the best way to keep weight off and the heart in good shape. But man...I hate it! I appreciate and respect people who can run miles and miles, I could never do it. I have watched several marathons and as stated above, most people you see running look like they are about to keel over. I think most people learn to run and build their endurance slowly over time, I just don't know how people can run 20+ miles at a time. My hat is off to them for sure!
bluewaterposer likes this.
vulcan is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 07:14 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,453
Default

If you go out there and lace up your shoes you are a runner. It doesn't matter your size, shape or age. Challenging yourself mentally and physically is what endurance running is about.

Large running events like this brings lots of tourists and revenue to an area, and runners are usually some of the best happiest people, and tend to be typically higher than average earners. The types of people that just about every local area want to have as tourists.

230 lbs, 3 marthons, dozen's of halfs, and countless other races.

Finish Line of 2017 Wrightsville Beach Marathon

beber is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 07:52 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,490
Default

I get OPs point.

it isnít about runners.
Its about prolonged road closures and bad road choices.

the impact of the 15-minute milers is to expose themselves to traffic hazards that the
Organizers often donít foresee.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GTC, Abaco Bahamas/western NC
Posts: 1,345
Default

I'm not running unless something is chasing me!
Tingum is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:08 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 283
Default

I run every other day because the military makes me. Come on retirement!
Smitty_81 is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 2,832
Default

The only thing different about this years Keys 100 was the weather was almost non-stop rain and overcast. Race organizers ordered that all runners were to don their nighttime safety equipment around 2pm, usually it's only required 30 minutes before sunset. I know around 15 people in this years race, running on 4 different teams.

Every year there's a few people who get upset about the Keys 100 or the now cancelled Ragnar race, which was Miami to Key West and over 200 miles (but teams were 12 people, not 6 people like the Keys 100).

Ragnar through the Keys was either in late January or early February, and was a sold out race every year bringing millions to the local economy. A few very vocal residents who seemingly spend more time complaining than anything else (ie, winter residents who are retired) screamed loud enough and the Board of County Commissioners cancelled the race.

The Key 100, however, is run in May, whereby all the winter residents have gone back to Michigan, Jersey, Ohio, Canada, etc...so they are not inconvenienced.

I'm a long distance runner and dating an Ultrarunner, so I'm pretty tuned into the running scene. Here's my suggestion, if we're going to selectively cancel events in the Keys because they inconvenience someone, from this point on the following events should be cancelled:

The poker runs and all the reckless Harley riders. We have to scrape a few off the highway each year and THAT really ties up traffic.
Offshore power boat races
Sailboat races
Fishing tournaments
Anyone driving an RV without Monroe County plates
Fantasy Fest
Pride fest
Seafood festivals
Anything with Fest in the title
Boat shows and Marine flea markets
Anyone driving a rented convertible

I'm cool with cancelling the ONE race the covers the length of the Keys but then we need to get rid of all the other road-clogging shit too.
cjd, rickpcfl and pooleman like this.
burningdaylight is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:13 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 2,832
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post
I get OPs point.

it isnít about runners.
Its about prolonged road closures and bad road choices.

the impact of the 15-minute milers is to expose themselves to traffic hazards that the
Organizers often donít foresee.
15 minute milers do not make the required cut off times and are DQ'ed.
burningdaylight is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:24 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,490
Default

Only one post mentioned cancelling anything. But Iím in on the whole list since I donít live in FLA.

Here in DC no complaining voice seems to prevail and we have dozens of 10ks and other running events. We also have marches, protests and an occasional riot so no biggy.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,490
Default

Originally Posted by burningdaylight View Post
15 minute milers do not make the required cut off times and are DQ'ed.
seems like a good plan. When/how are they culled and transported?
chrispnet is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 2,832
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post


seems like a good plan. When/how are they culled and transported?
There are numerous check points along the course, both for accurate timing and to prevent cheating. The Keys 100 is a qualifying race to much bigger and prestigious runs, like Badwater and Western States. Just like the Boston Marathon, there are a few people that will cheat just for the chance to get in and run.

If you make it to an aid station after the cut off race officials with DQ the runner. There are vans that will take you to the finish line if you do not have a support team. Most people running the 100 mile, 50 mile, or 50K will have a support team providing whatever a runner needs. Usually it's food and fuel, electrolytes, shoe and sock changes, caffeine, your nighttime reflective wear and head and tail lights, first aid for feet and chaffing issues, that sort of thing. A 100 mile solo runner will be running non-stop for 24 hours or so, sleep depravation and hallucinations are a very real concern.

If a runner "doesn't look happy" it's because there is a very real battle going on with that runner, both physical and mental, that cannot truly be explained to someone that has never pushed themselves that hard. The mind will usually quit before the body, you learn to push past those boundaries.
chrispnet likes this.
burningdaylight is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:27 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 253
Default

O think you're on to something. It like the folks in the l train in the city on Monday morning's. Called work
vincentdivincenzo is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NH & LTK
Posts: 432
Default

I never suggested cancelling anything. My point was that it was just flat out VERY dangerous out there last night for runners, support crews and anyone else driving to/ from work or wherever. And that includes KW bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe a bad ex. but if it had been Halloween, towns would have postponed it to a different night and most intelligent parents wouldn't let their kids trick or treat on Rt. 1 even in broad daylight!
LongJohnSilver is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:30 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 721
Default

Time to make a beer run.
saltyreefer likes this.
bobeast is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 10:12 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ramrod Key, FL
Posts: 2,832
Default

Originally Posted by LongJohnSilver View Post
WARNING----THIS IS A RANT!

I despise running and always have.
I'm overweight and out of shape but that's my problem and back in the day I played multiple sports through college and played baseball after that in semi-pro leagues.
Even though I was pretty good at it, I never enjoyed running and only did it because it was part of being in shape. I suspect I was good because it was mandated and I was just trying to make it end as soon as possible.

I don't mean to pee on people's parade but I witnessed something last night that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Now I suspect a lot of these people were abusing themselves for a charity but the organizers and approving political/LEO entities responsible really need to re-consider this. There is an annual 100 mile ultra marathon that runs 24 hrs/day for 2 days and the course is Rt.1 through the FL Keys (aka the Overseas Highway). Most of the participants are NOT real runners. There were some massive bodies out there. So, the point of this is that if you know anything about the Keys you would know that Rt.1 in the Keys is probably one of the most dangerous 100 mile stretches of road anywhere in the country. And that's in a car, say nothing of riding a bike or walking/running there AT NIGHT! And these clowns are there running overnight and last night the rain was coming down sideways. Most were trying to be "visible" but in those conditions it was virtually impossible to see them. And to top it off, their support vehicles are parked all over the sides of the road, some with no lights, some facing against traffic....with their GD high beams on......aaarrrgh.
It will be a miracle if it turns out no one died last night. What a circus.
Oh, and I didn't see one single participant who was smiling. It looked like they were having an absolute ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by LongJohnSilver View Post
I never suggested cancelling anything. My point was that it was just flat out VERY dangerous out there last night for runners, support crews and anyone else driving to/ from work or wherever. And that includes KW bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by LongJohnSilver View Post
Maybe a bad ex. but if it had been Halloween, towns would have postponed it to a different night and most intelligent parents wouldn't let their kids trick or treat on Rt. 1 even in broad daylight!


You're right, you never mentioned cancelling anything, however I think anyone reading your rant would surmise that you are implying either canceling the race or postponing the race. Postponing something like this is not an option, a significant number of the runners have flight and hotel reservations, and almost all of them have van rentals. So a postponement is an effective cancelation.
burningdaylight is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 10:18 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NH & LTK
Posts: 432
Default

I just wish there was a sidewalk/bikepath totally separate from the road the whole length of the Keys.
I know it's "allegedly" being done piecemeal but we'll all be dead before it's finished.
Unfortunately, as soon as someone is killed during one of these events it will get permanently cancelled, which is not the outcome anyone wants.
LongJohnSilver is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:53 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,213
Default

I ran nearly every day from the age of 17 to 30. Now that I'm in my 40's I'd like to murder the person who invented it. Luckily for them I'd never be able to catch them.
Billdo is offline  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,577
Default

Are You a Runner?
Only when Home Depot security is chasing me
Mine Now is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread