Notices
Like Tree43Likes

Cheap Thrills Car

Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,834
Default Cheap Thrills Car

I'm thinking about getting a cheap thrills car for around $20K. Mustang, Corvette, Camaro come to mind but what else is out there that is a 400+ HP car for around 20K used?
Lorne Greene is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 4,664
Default

Get a first-gen (986 series) Porsche Boxster for around $8K - $15K. They're not the fastest car around, but they'll out-handle anything within reason. I go by the mantra "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." I get more joy out of carving up turns than running light-to-light. If you really want to spend $20K, you can pick up a 996 series Porsche Carrera, which is a blast to drive. Just make sure the IMS was replaced. Otherwise, they're pretty much bullet-proof.
Commocean is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,934
Default

Get you a Honda, but one of those loud exhausts on it and add a big wing spoiler and you'll be flying before you know it!
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:55 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: greenville s.c.
Posts: 1,562
Default

Originally Posted by Commocean View Post
Get a first-gen (986 series) Porsche Boxster for around $8K - $15K. They're not the fastest car around, but they'll out-handle anything within reason. I go by the mantra "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." I get more joy out of carving up turns than running light-to-light. If you really want to spend $20K, you can pick up a 996 series Porsche Carrera, which is a blast to drive. Just make sure the IMS was replaced. Otherwise, they're pretty much bullet-proof.
I will agree with this post . I recently was in the same boat as OP . 43 years old been driving trucks FOREVER and wanted a "fun car" looked at mustangs , Camaros , 370z etc. My big hiccup was I have 3 kids and wanted something I could atleast fit the family in if I had to or wanted to take a little family fun drive . I ended up with a bmw because it met the family criteria and if im being totally honest it is the most fun car I have driven ! Not because it is lights out fast (probably upper 5 sec. 0-60 after a sport tuner) but because it holds the road and handles like nothing I have driven . That said if family stuff wasn't a factor I probably would have opted for the Camaro ... it stood out most when I was shopping , test driving etc.
reelin in the keys is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Get you a Honda, but one of those loud exhausts on it and add a big wing spoiler and you'll be flying before you know it!
Hahahaha!

I was actually going to suggest this bitchin' little ride:
(serious, a lot of HP in a fun package, have become pretty collectable)

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Twin Turbos and all wheel drive!

Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,188
Default

I would not get a Boxter unless you want people to think you're a hair-dresser.

Lots of used American muscle out there for 20K.
Mustang GT has a prolific aftermarket and it doesn't take much to make em scoot.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:08 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,834
Default

Originally Posted by Commocean View Post
Get a first-gen (986 series) Porsche Boxster for around $8K - $15K. They're not the fastest car around, but they'll out-handle anything within reason. I go by the mantra "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." I get more joy out of carving up turns than running light-to-light. If you really want to spend $20K, you can pick up a 996 series Porsche Carrera, which is a blast to drive. Just make sure the IMS was replaced. Otherwise, they're pretty much bullet-proof.
I should add that I am 6'4" and 300#
Bront Antwoord likes this.
Lorne Greene is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 5,380
Default

For an absolute blast in that price range find an e46 M3, manual
rocksandblues is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,934
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
Hahahaha!

I was actually going to suggest this bitchin' little ride:
(serious, a lot of HP in a fun package, have become pretty collectable)

Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Twin Turbos and all wheel drive!

I had some sort of Subaru in mind that one could tinker with and supe up...would be pretty similar, I'd guess, but i'm not a car guy.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
I should add that I am 6'4" and 300#
Well, that changes EVERYTHING!



(I hear ya... I'm 6'5" and about 285)
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,755
Default

Originally Posted by rocksandblues View Post
For an absolute blast in that price range find an e46 M3, manual
exactly what I was going to suggest.
reelin in the keys likes this.
coores14 is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: st. lucie county
Posts: 1,077
Default

Originally Posted by BlueRudy View Post
I would not get a Boxter unless you want people to think you're a hair-dresser.

Lots of used American muscle out there for 20K.
Mustang GT has a prolific aftermarket and it doesn't take much to make em scoot.
Even if I'm bald and wear jean shorts?
peacemon is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:26 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,882
Default

Originally Posted by Commocean View Post
Get a first-gen (986 series) Porsche Boxster for around $8K - $15K. They're not the fastest car around, but they'll out-handle anything within reason. I go by the mantra "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." I get more joy out of carving up turns than running light-to-light. If you really want to spend $20K, you can pick up a 996 series Porsche Carrera, which is a blast to drive. Just make sure the IMS was replaced. Otherwise, they're pretty much bullet-proof.
I agree with the logic.....but know nothing about a Porsche. For me I started going to a road course in a Charger which ended up turning into a buying a full blown mustang racecar.......for well under $10K. And since you already have the truck to tow it

the BMW is a great car for what you describe......too bad they turn their drivers into A-holes.
Zardoz likes this.
t500hps is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:29 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

Porsche 944 turbo
300z turbo
m3
subaru wrx sti
crazybeard is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:32 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Saint Amant Louisiana
Posts: 3,006
Default

go with the ever masculine Miata!
Lprizman likes this.
wdkerek is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:44 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: greenville s.c.
Posts: 1,562
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
I agree with the logic.....but know nothing about a Porsche. For me I started going to a road course in a Charger which ended up turning into a buying a full blown mustang racecar.......for well under $10K. And since you already have the truck to tow it

the BMW is a great car for what you describe......too bad they turn their drivers into A-holes.
I resent that remark ! I was a A-hole long before buying a BMW Actually I can see where that stigma comes from some owners are a bit snooty ... But that shouldn't give all of us a bad name . I really love the car but am not a badge snob like some . Im more redneck than snob lmao
BiloxiGuy and Mooney6959 like this.
reelin in the keys is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,188
Default

Originally Posted by peacemon View Post
Even if I'm bald and wear jean shorts?
Yes, even.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 5,380
Default

Originally Posted by reelin in the keys View Post
I resent that remark ! I was a A-hole long before buying a BMW Actually I can see where that stigma comes from some owners are a bit snooty ... But that shouldn't give all of us a bad name . I really love the car but am not a badge snob like some . Im more redneck than snob lmao

ha. good one

ditto
rocksandblues is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 50
Default

Lexus ISF, beast of a machine.
Shoreacresgrown is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 11:07 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Holden Beach
Posts: 278
Default

C5 corvette or a well modded LS1 F-Body
thundra likes this.
Heathen86 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread