Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

F'in Aye. I'm 0-2 w/ Trane HVAC! Another new unit w/problems. Different installer!

Notices
Like Tree24Likes

F'in Aye. I'm 0-2 w/ Trane HVAC! Another new unit w/problems. Different installer!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,176
Unhappy F'in Aye. I'm 0-2 w/ Trane HVAC! Another new unit w/problems. Different installer!

Yeah. I have to say Trane is epic garbage. Unit is only a little over 2 years old. Professionally installed.

The unit at work... 5 ton, on the roof...

-Blows ice cold.
-No ice on coil in air handler.
-Wires are secure, etc. in air handler.
-I feel that the breaker for HVAC *MAY* be warmer than usual, but I can not swear to that. The breaker is a dual 50AMP... and I don't recall it being warm or not. This part of the info may or may not be entirely accurate. The rest is definitely.

There is a noticeable "buzzing" coming from the outside unit. I have not been up there yet since it's raining...

I'm reading about the contactor relay?

Any other help?

I swear, I don't work for a competing AC mfg. LOL. This is just how it goes. I didn't even pick the contractor for this install. LOL.
OldPete is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:35 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 481
Default

My contactor just went out 2 weeks ago on my 27 y.o unit. Was buzzing (arcing) like yours. Cost me $115 with labor to repair. You can flip the breaker and fix it yourself for about $40. Then condensate dripped onto the motherboard in the air handler/furnace. Shorted everything out. Time for a new unit. I could buy a hell of a nice boat for the price of a new heat pump/furnace! I guess I'll spring for the 10 yr parts/labor warranty!
OldPete likes this.
SquidsDusky is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 5,656
Default

buzzing is the contacts not quite pulling all the way in. easy part to swap.
OldPete likes this.
rocksandblues is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,176
Default

Thanks guys... just did a test on the two breakers... when I turn of the Compressor breaker the air handler stays on and so does the buzzing on the roof... I'm reading that means it's the contactor for certain. I'll get up there, pull the contractor and get another one -- I'll be sure and take a picture of it before I undo it.

Thanks! Pete
OldPete is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 374
Default

It’s the contactor, and an arcing contactor not quite pulled all the way in could also elevate the breaker and wire temp

Last edited by Stray Current; 05-15-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: fawk autospell
Stray Current is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,176
Default

Yeah. Getting replace tomorrow. Luckily lots of rain so the temp went down.
OldPete is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:18 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,674
Default

I suggest you stick to what you really know something about other than guessing.

I have read all of your HVAC post's. There have been many. You think you have it all Figured out. How about put an amp meter on the unit or do resistance check across the contactor leads or know how to recognize a bad contactor. "Buzzing"

Your a service mans worst nightmare. I only called you because I ran out of guesses and unhooked and moved a few things and the breaker is warmer than I think it should be.

Tap the contactor with a screw driver and then stick your tongue on it on the load side. If it kills you the contacts were good and you will never hear the buzzing again.

The cheap units of other brands could care less about your dangerously limited knowledge.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: nj
Posts: 3,654
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
I suggest you stick to what you really know something about other than guessing.

I have read all of your HVAC post's. There have been many. You think you have it all Figured out. How about put an amp meter on the unit or do resistance check across the contactor leads or know how to recognize a bad contactor. "Buzzing"

Your a service mans worst nightmare. I only called you because I ran out of guesses and unhooked and moved a few things and the breaker is warmer than I think it should be.

Tap the contactor with a screw driver and then stick your tongue on it on the load side. If it kills you the contacts were good and you will never hear the buzzing again.

The cheap units of other brands could care less about your dangerously limited knowledge.


haha I am thinking the same thing everyone is out to rip him off and all equipment is junk....
Mark Y likes this.
tunatango123 is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:57 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,176
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
I suggest you stick to what you really know something about other than guessing.

I have read all of your HVAC post's. There have been many. You think you have it all Figured out. How about put an amp meter on the unit or do resistance check across the contactor leads or know how to recognize a bad contactor. "Buzzing"

Your a service mans worst nightmare. I only called you because I ran out of guesses and unhooked and moved a few things and the breaker is warmer than I think it should be.

Tap the contactor with a screw driver and then stick your tongue on it on the load side. If it kills you the contacts were good and you will never hear the buzzing again.

The cheap units of other brands could care less about your dangerously limited knowledge.
LOL. Clearly you read my last HVAC post where I fixed a $2000 repair for under $200. I know. What an idiot I must be. I'm definitely not as smart as you are. Thank you so very much for all you great help on this thread, and all the other threads where you troll me.

Could you send over a video of yourself sticking your tongue on a hot contactor for me? I think society would be a MUCH better place if you did it. I'll donate to your favorite charity if you put whole thing your mouth with the wires hanging out. I'm certain you can fit it in your mouth.

Run along little troll.
edale99 likes this.
OldPete is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:59 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 17,176
Default

Originally Posted by tunatango123 View Post
haha I am thinking the same thing everyone is out to rip him off and all equipment is junk....
Hahaha... and my NJ troll is here too. LOL. Another one who is smarter than me. LOLOLOL. Maybe you can tongue-tie the contactor with your cuckold friend?
OldPete is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,674
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
LOL. Clearly you read my last HVAC post where I fixed a $2000 repair for under $200. I know. What an idiot I must be. I'm definitely not as smart as you are. Thank you so very much for all you great help on this thread, and all the other threads where you troll me.

Could you send over a video of yourself sticking your tongue on a hot contactor for me? I think society would be a MUCH better place if you did it. I'll donate to your favorite charity if you put whole thing your mouth with the wires hanging out. I'm certain you can fit it in your mouth.

Run along little troll.
Not sure what you fixed. I will ask this being I struck a nerve.

Your post claims it was your work place? Do you own this place or do you take upon yourself to F with a clearly in warranty piece of equipment based on your buzzing evaluation.

Did I not provide you good information that was legit concerning your earlier issue with a refrigerant leak?

You best go back to some of your previous threads concerning HVAC and then you can call me a troll or what ever.
You can't help people that are so smart they try to answer their own questions before they listen to answers that they asked the question for to begin with.

"Clearly you read my last HVAC post where I fixed a $2000 repair for under $200" SURE YOU DID FOR THE MOMENT!
Mark Y likes this.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,210
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
I suggest you stick to what you really know something about other than guessing.

I have read all of your HVAC post's. There have been many. You think you have it all Figured out.
AFAIK there are fewer than 5 components in Pete's trane condenser unit which could make a buzzing noise. How many of them would still make noise when the breaker to the condenser is thrown but the breaker to the air handler is energized?

I'm no HVAC tech, but I have heard a 24v relay buzzing before and I know which end the power comes from.

Last edited by Flot; 05-15-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Flot is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
creditcardguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 4,100
Default

It's hard to stop a Trane. Well done!
creditcardguy is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,674
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
AFAIK there are fewer than 5 components in Pete's trane condenser unit which could make a buzzing noise. How many of them would still make noise when the breaker to the condenser is thrown but the breaker to the air handler is energized?

I'm no HVAC tech, but I have heard a 24v relay buzzing before and I know which end the power comes from.
Does buzzing make the relay bad? Suspect yes, but it could be so many things including low control power voltage or a lizard behind the holding coil.

Contactors failing on a 2 year old unit ls most likely to indicate something much more sinister than just junk equipment.
Keep throwing parts at it until you have a compressor failure due to a multitude of things that may going on. At least the buzzing sound will be gone.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,210
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
Does buzzing make the relay bad? Suspect yes, but it could be so many things including low control power voltage or a lizard behind the holding coil.

Contactors failing on a 2 year old unit ls most likely to indicate something much more sinister than just junk equipment.
Keep throwing parts at it until you have a compressor failure due to a multitude of things that may going on. At least the buzzing sound will be gone.
I understand what you're saying, but we are talking about a $12 part. By the time he gets on the roof and opens it up, it is worth just replacing it even if there's a fried lizard in the way. Testing the relay voltage makes sense, although seems to me that if it were bad, the new contactor would start buzzing right away anyway. (and what's the downside of replacing a cheap part that takes 10 minutes) If the relay voltage is indeed low then the troubleshooting can keep going but I've seen a lot more relays fail than transformers.

I'm honestly curious what else would be going on to cause contactor problems?
Flot is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:36 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 243
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
I understand what you're saying, but we are talking about a $12 part. By the time he gets on the roof and opens it up, it is worth just replacing it even if there's a fried lizard in the way. Testing the relay voltage makes sense, although seems to me that if it were bad, the new contactor would start buzzing right away anyway. (and what's the downside of replacing a cheap part that takes 10 minutes) If the relay voltage is indeed low then the troubleshooting can keep going but I've seen a lot more relays fail than transformers.

I'm honestly curious what else would be going on to cause contactor problems?
mmmm........ Fried lizard.
MSChE is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:35 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,674
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
I understand what you're saying, but we are talking about a $12 part. By the time he gets on the roof and opens it up, it is worth just replacing it even if there's a fried lizard in the way. Testing the relay voltage makes sense, although seems to me that if it were bad, the new contactor would start buzzing right away anyway. (and what's the downside of replacing a cheap part that takes 10 minutes) If the relay voltage is indeed low then the troubleshooting can keep going but I've seen a lot more relays fail than transformers.

I'm honestly curious what else would be going on to cause contactor problems?
The unit should be under warranty. There are no 12 dollar parts from Trane!
A failed contactor could be from a variety of things, like bugs, loose wires, bad voltage from bad connections, excessive short cycling from a multitude of things. Maybe the compressor is fixing to go. I would not mess with an in warranty unit and especially start putting non OEM parts in it.
That is a good way to get rid of your warranty.

I spent 38 years as a Daiken/Mcquay commercial rooftop products authorized factory service Rep and parts distributor. I know all about how warranties work.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 374
Default

I would not touch a thing in warranty
Stray Current is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,210
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
The unit should be under warranty. There are no 12 dollar parts from Trane!
https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...R02579/2492466

Just kidding, I doubt that wss the contactor that Pete needed, but there are plenty of them available in various configs - even trane oem - for under $25.

I am all for letting my warranties pay for themselves. I am about 50/50 for regretting the service call after the fact so I try to temper it with reality these days. If it is cheaper, easier, and faster for me to fix it myself, I'll fix it myself. I will admit to sometimes trolling Pete for sport though.

Last edited by Flot; 05-16-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Flot is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: 42°
Posts: 169
Default

What a dump thread . Oooo my a/c broken too dam cheap to pay and have it fixed by a tech. THAT’S exactly why I charge 150 an hour, customer appreciation days rant ovet
Poorbastard is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread