Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Leaving a Job That You Like. What To Do?

Notices
Like Tree32Likes

Leaving a Job That You Like. What To Do?

Old 05-14-2018, 06:56 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homestead, Fl
Posts: 1,339
Default Leaving a Job That You Like. What To Do?

I work for a company that has recently been laying people off left and right. People that have been there way longer than myself.
I recently recieved an offer for 20K more per year, plus percs, plus the project is 2 miles from home in lieu of 30 miles. The offer is too good to refuse but I love my current company. I know my current employer wont match because of their current position. Why do I sweat these things so much?
humpinit is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:05 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,741
Default

Change can be very unsettling and often scarey.

"Who Moved My Cheese"
round2it is online now  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 905
Default

Time to leave. Sounds like your company is struggling and they also like you a lot from what you say. Leave now while you have the chance. If they pull through and start growing again, you will be in a position to come back at a higher salary if your new position isnít all you want it to be. If they donít recover, you donít want to be there anyway and may be looking soon regardless.
bone-a-fide is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 9,062
Default

This can't be a real question
WPBTH is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 1,346
Default

Originally Posted by humpinit View Post
I work for a company that has recently been laying people off left and right. People that have been there way longer than myself.
I recently recieved an offer for 20K more per year, plus percs, plus the project is 2 miles from home in lieu of 30 miles. The offer is too good to refuse but I love my current company. I know my current employer wont match because of their current position. Why do I sweat these things so much?
Change is hard, especially if you're content. But you have to look towards the future. 20k more for the first year is big, but that will compound annually in your salary AND your retirement savings. Plus 2 miles vs. 30 miles means what, maybe an extra hour or more to yourself each day of your life?

Go for it and don't look back!!!
Tainui and humpinit like this.
ChrisW21 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,133
Default

I would leave yesterday.
humpinit likes this.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:14 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,804
Default

Once you leave you will realize that you were not as happy as you could have been. To hard to see the Forrest through the trees sometimes.
humpinit likes this.
Lorne Greene is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homestead, Fl
Posts: 1,339
Default

All great advise. So I should show them my tail lights?
humpinit is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homestead, Fl
Posts: 1,339
Default

I recieved the offer letter around 4pm today. Why cant they both pay me? lol
humpinit is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:23 PM
  #10  
CME
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,839
Default

Grass is always greener....Loyalty is hard to find. Just saying.
CME is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 250
Default

Get a contract, in paper with figures we trust.
peter bear is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:33 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homestead, Fl
Posts: 1,339
Default

Originally Posted by CME View Post
Grass is always greener....Loyalty is hard to find. Just saying.

I agree with you. What about he employees that have been loyal for thirty years? They are gone now. Many
humpinit is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:34 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homestead, Fl
Posts: 1,339
Default

Originally Posted by CME View Post
Grass is always greener....Loyalty is hard to find. Just saying.
Originally Posted by peter bear View Post
Get a contract, in paper with figures we trust.
what?
humpinit is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 482
Default

[QUOTE=humpinit;11419349]I work for a company that has recently been laying people off left and right. People that have been there way longer than myself.
I recently recieved an offer for 20K more per year, plus percs, plus the project is 2 miles from home in lieu of 30 miles. The offer is too good to refuse but I love my current company. I know my current employer wont match because of their current position. Why do I sweat these things so much?[/QUOTE]
I think we work for the same company.
JACKWES likes this.
Maranvin is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

Originally Posted by humpinit View Post
I work for a company that has recently been laying people off left and right. People that have been there way longer than myself.
I recently recieved an offer for 20K more per year, plus percs, plus the project is 2 miles from home in lieu of 30 miles. The offer is too good to refuse but I love my current company. I know my current employer wont match because of their current position. Why do I sweat these things so much?
I can only tell you from my experience.....I had 1 job/company out of the 5 companies I have worked for over the years that I really liked. The owner was a great guy and we were good friends outside of work. I made him a LOT of money and in turn he took GREAT care of me, we had a very good relationship which is how it's supposed to work. The company got into some financial problems because of 2 projects that went bad.....really bad. The owner was paying me very well and I was driving a brand new Tahoe that he was paying the payments on. When things started to go bad the company didn't have the resources to pay the bills on time and the majority of the suppliers had the company on credit hold. I was the Purchasing Mgr and I had an assistant that had a family and her husband had lost his job and was having a hard time finding another one.

I felt I wasn't worth what I was being paid because my job was to buy the expensive stuff the company used but there was no expensive stuff being bought. I knew the owner wouldn't let me go until he absolutely had to so instead of laying off my assistant I voluntarily left the company. The owner was personally hurt that I quit but was also grateful because he knew I quit to help him out. He ended up pulling the company out of the ashes and it prospered. We talked about me coming back but I didn't do it for a couple of reasons.....which I don't need to discuss.

That job ended up being the only job since that I truly liked and didn't dread when Monday came around. I left the company for all of the right reasons but looking back I wished I would have done things differently and never left.
RussH is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:02 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 692
Default

Make sure you don't burn the bridge if you leave.
R Days is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 38
Default

If the other company is a good place to work, then go for it. I would give my current company the opportunity to retain me and match or beat the offer. Make sure to leave on good terms. Never know when you may want/need to come back.
ponyboy96 is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:12 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,804
Default

Originally Posted by CME View Post
Grass is always greener....Loyalty is hard to find. Just saying.
sounds nice because itís the way we all want the world to be but honestly it only takes once to screw yourself before you realize that loyalty is largely a one way street. So he stays for the good of the company are they going to not lay him off and catch his salary up to market value? I highly doubt it he, will be nothing more than a martyr that the company will dispose of if the need to.
avenger79 likes this.
Lorne Greene is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:41 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Kent Island, MD
Posts: 196
Default

Originally Posted by Maranvin View Post
[[b]QUOTE=humpinit;11419349]I work for a company that has recently been laying people off left and right. People that have been there way longer than myself.
I recently recieved an offer for 20K more per year, plus percs, plus the project is 2 miles from home in lieu of 30 miles. The offer is too good to refuse but I love my current company. I know my current employer wont match because of their current position. Why do I sweat these things so much?
I think we work for the same company.[/QUOTE]

me too
KIMDer is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,324
Default

Originally Posted by humpinit View Post
I work for a company that has recently been laying people off left and right. People that have been there way longer than myself.
I recently recieved an offer for 20K more per year, plus percs, plus the project is 2 miles from home in lieu of 30 miles. The offer is too good to refuse but I love my current company. I know my current employer wont match because of their current position. Why do I sweat these things so much?
You need to jump on! I love what I do, however my company has been going thru the struggles and my commute sucks. I've been looking to jump ship for the past two years. My job is very specialized and even though I have two headhunters pickings are slim and they are always a longer commute than I have now
FASTFJR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread