Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

When automation fully kicks in....

Notices
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Turtle9343
  • 2 Post By YFMF
  • 1 Post By Turtle9343

When automation fully kicks in....

Old 05-14-2018, 01:00 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default When automation fully kicks in....

It doesn't matter if you think we are 5 years away or 50 years away, at some point we are going to have cars without drivers, that means ubers/lyft without drivers, busses without drivers, trucks without drivers. It also means the robots that aren't too far off will be unloading those trucks putting that many more people out of work.
I can easily see wait staff replaced by robots too, security guards to a large extent, house cleaners (except the ones that put out), will all be out of work.

Where do you see these now soon to be extinct positions working once this all happens?

Please don't say, "Phift, I'll be dead by then, who cares." because you'll have kids that need to worry about these issues. In the past we had stable boys become unemployed by the auto, but they could learn to drive and have a new job, what will these jobs be replaced with?
YFMF is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:24 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Turtle9343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,540
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
It doesn't matter if you think we are 5 years away or 50 years away, at some point we are going to have cars without drivers, that means ubers/lyft without drivers, busses without drivers, trucks without drivers. It also means the robots that aren't too far off will be unloading those trucks putting that many more people out of work.
I can easily see wait staff replaced by robots too, security guards to a large extent, house cleaners (except the ones that put out), will all be out of work.

Where do you see these now soon to be extinct positions working once this all happens?
The driving positions will still exist, only in a different capacity. Instead of driving, people will be monitoring. Its pretty much what pilots do already. The plane flies itself, while the pilots simply monitor to make sure it continues to do so. Walking floors are already in the marketplace and have been for a number of years unloading trailers without human input. Again, there is a human monitoring it to make sure it does what its supposed to do.

House cleaners, well, I guess they will go the way of the dodo. I suppose with the loss of housekeeping jobs, we will gain robot mechanics instead.
YFMF likes this.
Turtle9343 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:36 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 9,064
Default

It's a lot farther away than you think. Making driverless cars are easier than finding insurance for them. Unless uber and Lyft get into that business which they said they will.
I have a retired friend who just took a non-union job working security at construction sites making $30an hour. The robot Honda makes is 2.5 million. They feel 2030 is a reasonable date they will be able to surpass human intelligence. So still a long way off.

perosnally I feel the money in the future will be farming. With the rate the world is reproducing food costs will begin to skyrocket in 2040.
WPBTH is online now  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:39 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 824
Default

"Phift, I'll be dead by then, who cares."
bugnut is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,181
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
It's a lot farther away than you think. Making driverless cars are easier than finding insurance for them. Unless uber and Lyft get into that business which they said they will.
I have a retired friend who just took a non-union job working security at construction sites making $30an hour. The robot Honda makes is 2.5 million. They feel 2030 is a reasonable date they will be able to surpass human intelligence. So still a long way off.

perosnally I feel the money in the future will be farming. With the rate the world is reproducing food costs will begin to skyrocket in 2040.
You think like Bill Gates. Subject is a bit more complicated because America's farmers are incredibly productive. It's just the issues of pesticide application vs organic/naturally-grown.
raystein is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:49 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
It's a lot farther away than you think. Making driverless cars are easier than finding insurance for them. Unless uber and Lyft get into that business which they said they will.
I have a retired friend who just took a non-union job working security at construction sites making $30an hour. The robot Honda makes is 2.5 million. They feel 2030 is a reasonable date they will be able to surpass human intelligence. So still a long way off.

perosnally I feel the money in the future will be farming. With the rate the world is reproducing food costs will begin to skyrocket in 2040.
My daughter is 8, in 2030 she will be 18, time to have a healthy understanding of what's to come is important now.
rkatz and OldPete like this.
YFMF is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,911
Default

Usually when an automation device displaces a human to perform a task, it does not necessarily mean that worker is displaced if that worker is capable of being trained for a new position.
In the case of robots, they still require engineering/programming, etc, that requires a skillset usually not currently in place at a new user.
The user needs an employee(s) with a skillset to manage the automation, or hire a vendor that can provide that.
coastboater is online now  
Old 05-14-2018, 01:56 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Why work?
what needs to change in this model is allocation attitudes. They will lag behind by a generation as always.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 02:04 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

Interesting topic. I've been developing training for our corporate RPA (Robotics Process Automation). The company seems to think they can automate so much. Sure, certain repeatable processes that don't require any artificial intelligence (AI) are easy targets for automation. Simple rules-based process stuff like "Go get the loan number, send disclosures"... or order an appraisal... or whatever... can be accomplished with relative ease, cuts turnaround times, and eliminates mistakes. But it will be many years before the bots will have enough AI to truly look at documents and make decisions about what should happen in a given situation.

The single biggest thing I hear from the general employee population is "Why should I give two chits about robotics, so I can work myself out of a job?" RPA will indeed (and already has in some cases) change their jobs. Nobody has lost their job due to a bot at this point, but I can see that happening in many industries as RPA matures and AI becomes more intelligent.

Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default

I guess I'm not "concerned" so much about what jobs will be gone, but what jobs will be available. And sure females can do most jobs that males can do, but let's face facts, there are some jobs more suited for males and some more towards females. Just looking to direct my girls towards the next big thing so they don't get locked out.
YFMF is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 02:14 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Turtle9343's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,540
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
My daughter is 8, in 2030 she will be 18,
Hold up. I know I'm not that great at math but....
2030-2018= 12 years
12+8= 18 yrs old???

So, since I was born in 1977, today that makes me......27?
BSpot likes this.
Turtle9343 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 02:36 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default

Originally Posted by Turtle9343 View Post
Hold up. I know I'm not that great at math but....
2030-2018= 12 years
12+8= 18 yrs old???

So, since I was born in 1977, today that makes me......27?
I'm guilty of distracted typing. You are correct, 12+8 is in fact 20. I stand corrected. She'll be 20 and in the middle of college, now is still the time to be looking ahead.
YFMF is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 755
Default

Will be a cold day in hell before this gets automated. Mad Max may come true!
madhatter1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread