Notices
Like Tree12Likes

To claim or not to claim?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default To claim or not to claim?

If a 65 yr old family member is on disability and welfare, in a home for disabled and dies, who is responsible for the body? If another family member claims the body does that mean that family member is responsible for funeral arrangements and cost? Or is it better to let the state handle the arrangements? Or does funeral arrangements go automatically to nearest family member such as offspring or parent? This is in the state of New Hampshire.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Loxahatchee, Florida
Posts: 263
Default

Just volunteer to share expenses...
hablox is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default

Unfortunately most of this family can't afford it. So that expense would fall on one or two of the family members that probably could.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 259
Default

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
If a 65 yr old family member is on disability and welfare, in a home for disabled and dies, who is responsible for the body? If another family member claims the body does that mean that family member is responsible for funeral arrangements and cost? Or is it better to let the state handle the arrangements? Or does funeral arrangements go automatically to nearest family member such as offspring or parent? This is in the state of New Hampshire.
Hi

Have you asked the home? I would think they have a Social Worker on staff to help with things like that?
Take care
Uncas likes this.
ILoveMermaids is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

No family member is "responsible" by legal mandate.
Family obligation, real or imagined, is all that comes into play.
KeithS likes this.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:05 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,385
Default

I'll keep my mouth shut.
Riptied likes this.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default

Originally Posted by ILoveMermaids View Post
Hi

Have you asked the home? I would think they have a Social Worker on staff to help with things like that?
Take care
Nope, didn't think of that, I'll forward it on. Thx.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,361
Default

What you fall under is indignant I think; but I think you mean nobody wants to take responsibility for funeral arrangements. See if he had a will at or all or anything pre arranged in the estate. If you don't want to touch the subject don't and he will be disposed of by whatever means the funeral home sees fit after about 3 months. Most prefer to get it out of the way sooner so this isn't dragged on. Try to find a low cost cremation or burial, they do payment plans (shady I know).

Trust me, it is not better to let the state "handle" arrangements.
bayfisher92 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ponce Inlet / New Smyrna Beach, FL
Posts: 310
Default

Man ...You can get a basic cremation for as low as $1000,
Gary - CFL is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default

Originally Posted by bayfisher92 View Post
What you fall under is indignant I think; but I think you mean nobody wants to take responsibility for funeral arrangements. See if he had a will at or all or anything pre arranged in the estate. If you don't want to touch the subject don't and he will be disposed of by whatever means the funeral home sees fit after about 3 months. Most prefer to get it out of the way sooner so this isn't dragged on. Try to find a low cost cremation or burial, they do payment plans (shady I know).

Trust me, it is not better to let the state "handle" arrangements.
This person hasn't exactly been a contributing member of society, mostly in the system and somewhat self estranged from her family unless she needed something, like money. Never tried to take care of themselves in regards to health and well being, that's why she is in the position she's in now. She's a double leg amputee diabetic, that still wheels her self out of the home to smoke, that needs surgery for an injury she incurred on her arm but her health at this point is preventing the surgery. Last I heard it wasn't looking good for her. All her numbers were down except sugar which is sky high and she has fluid in her lungs.
I know her daughter and partner is in no position to pay for flowers never mind a funeral. This ladies father is in his mid 80's and retired and has been bailing her out most of her life. Her other sister is doing a fair job at making her and family's way but still leans on Dad.
One of her step brothers is also in no position to pay for a funeral. The other step brother is most likely the only other person beside the father that can help out.
The situation I see is the father stepping up to again bail her out on his own.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:45 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default

Originally Posted by Gary - CFL View Post
Man ...You can get a basic cremation for as low as $1000,
Didn't know that. All I hear is funerals running $10k+.
Last person I was involved in with burying was my mother about 4yrs ago and that burial with cremation went north of $9k.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,361
Default

And she has no life insurance?
bayfisher92 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 824
Default

Double leg amputee. You should get at least a 30% discount on cremation.
bugnut is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
Double leg amputee. You should get at least a 30% discount on cremation.
Ohhh. that just ain't right.

funny, but not right.
MonarkBoats is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:16 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,614
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
Double leg amputee. You should get at least a 30% discount on cremation.
Freakin hilarious!!!

*or borrower the Plastic Tote from the chick who is going to prison?
STEELA is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:02 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default

Originally Posted by bayfisher92 View Post
And she has no life insurance?
As far as I know, no. No assets what so ever.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,175
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
Double leg amputee. You should get at least a 30% discount on cremation.
that moves you up in line,to HELL
jpcanning is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,229
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
Double leg amputee. You should get at least a 30% discount on cremation.
Originally Posted by MonarkBoats View Post
Ohhh. that just ain't right.

funny, but not right.
Originally Posted by STEELA View Post
Freakin hilarious!!!

*or borrower the Plastic Tote from the chick who is going to prison?
Yeah I know, I won't show this part to my buddy.
Like I told my wife this lady has no legs almost all the way to the hip and has doubled in weight since they took her first leg a couple yrs ago, gotta be close to 300#'s with no legs. How can that happen? I thought that being diabetic would have automatically had a dietician assigned to her daily menu at the home?
Needless to say it made her a tad bit tippy, and that is what put her in the position she's in now. She fell asleep in her wheel chair and fell out, breaking her upper arm in multiple places, hence the operation she now needs.
KeithS is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:12 PM
  #19  
Super Moderator
 
THT MOD 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In The Heart Of Dixie
Posts: 1,689
Default

Potters field??
THT MOD 14 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,754
Default

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Didn't know that. All I hear is funerals running $10k+.
Last person I was involved in with burying was my mother about 4yrs ago and that burial with cremation went north of $9k.

Did your mother have a viewing?
In this person's case all that will happen is cremation. $500-1000.00. Were ever she is cremated, remains will be placed in a box
What the family does with the ashes will depend on future cost

Is she in CT?
DSS will pay up to $1400, less any assets in the deceased’s estate, toward burial or cremation expenses of any individual with very limited means in Connecticut. There is no restriction; however, assets may offset all or part of the benefit.Program: Burial/Cremation Expense Assistance

www.icarol.info/ResourceView2.aspx?org=2385&agencynum=17317763
http://uwc.211ct.org/burial-expense-assistance/
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/hs/rpt/2003-R-0396.htm
KeithS likes this.

Last edited by Thalasso; 05-14-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Thalasso is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread