Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Elementary school threats - what you do as a parent?

Notices

Elementary school threats - what you do as a parent?

Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 698
Received 358 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Elementary school threats - what you do as a parent?

So I get an automated message from my 11 years old school today saying there was a threat at school by a 6th grader. I call the investigating police dept and they refer me to their press release on FB.

I would like to hear what people would do with this if this happened in your local community at the school your 5th grader attends. I know who the kid is. To me this is where small local communities can band up and say enough is enough. Personally I'd be all for a public hanging of "mom", "dad" and DA tomorrow at town central.

https://www.facebook.com/IHBPD/

City of Indian Harbour Beach Police Department
NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 15, 2018, 4:00 P.M.
For more information please contact Police Chief David Butler at 321-773-3030

Threat-Ocean Breeze Elementary School –(Indian Harbour Beach Police Department)

The Indian Harbour Beach Police Department is currently investigating several threats to students and school personnel of Ocean Breeze Elementary School in Indian Harbour Beach. In February 2018, a student of Ocean Breeze Elementary School reportedly made a statement, while in school, that he wanted to be a “terrorist” and a “school shooter.” Indian Harbour Beach Police Detectives conducted an investigation, and with the assistance of the State Attorney’s Office, determined that there was not enough evidence to warrant a criminal prosecution.

Detectives then made contact with the family of the student, who confirmed that the child did make some statements in this regard, however, would not allow Detectives to interview the child. The father did admit that there were several firearms in the home, however, refused to allow police to secure the firearms at the police department until this matter could be resolved. He also refused police officer’s request to permit a voluntary inspection of the firearms to ensure they were properly secured, even though he assured the officer’s on site that the firearms were safely secured. Detectives assisted in attempting to obtain counseling and/or social services for the child from other state agencies. School officials were notified of the outcome and stated they would handle the issue of the child in the school administratively.

On March 14, 2018, the same student, while in school, stated that he now had a “kill list” and named specific students. Additionally, he stated unnamed teachers and teacher’s pets were also on the list. Again, Police Detectives were called into the school to conduct a criminal investigation. Interviews were conducted with the students and teachers.

Again, the student admitted to making these statements but stated he was only doing this to prevent kids from picking on him. A search of the student’s backpack revealed no “kill list” or weapons. Accordingly, to school officials, the student has been suspended pending further investigation.

This case was reviewed by the State Attorney’s Office and the State Attorney’s Office and the Indian Harbour Beach Police Department concluded there is insufficient evidence to warrant a criminal prosecution.

The Indian Harbour Beach Police Department continues to work with school officials, counselors, State Attorney’s Office, other agencies and the family. Ocean Breeze Elementary School notified parents, via recorded message, about the most recent incident.

The Indian Harbour Beach Police Department encourages parents to talk with their children to reinforce the severity of making idle threats. All threats will be taken seriously and if there is sufficient evidence, an arrest and prosecution will occur.

The Indian Harbour Beach Police Department has taken steps to ensure the safety of each student and school personnel through an increased presence of officers patrolling the campus and other safety measures.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,795
Received 8,163 Likes on 4,309 Posts
Default

I personally find the fact that minors can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on such matters to be complete BS. Make big boy statements, deal with big boy public scrutiny.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:20 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 2,537
Received 862 Likes on 492 Posts
Default

Should be automatically removed from the school until a final determination is made that he is not a threat.

How that is determined...I don't know. Things in society are changing for the worst so fast I don't think we can keep up anymore (I sure can't)

Any forced investigation on if the weapons in the home are secure might be a legal issue leaning towards the parents rights to refuse a search (I'm not a LEO, Lawyer, etc. so I really don't know).

If it were my kid I would lead the charge to get him help. Also would be more than happy to cooperate with LEO (I've got nothing to hide).

Glad I'm getting old that is one thing for sure.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,639
Received 805 Likes on 386 Posts
Default

I saw those last night in Facebook. Totally f'd up.

It seems like they're not going to do anything. This kid is pretty much screwed for life. They don't mention his name but this is a very small area and I think most people know who it is and who the family is.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:08 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 519 Likes on 242 Posts
Default

So to me it's great that we're having this discussion before the kid does anything drastic.

Many of us call this a "mental health" issue, so now that we're aware that the kid in question is having a difficult time, what's the recourse for him getting help? Are the parents pursuing MH care with him?

RE: Screwed for life, it's a shame that's the mentality. There are resources for getting help, and for becoming a happy, healthy, productive member of society. Kids have all kinds of trouble, there should be resources in place for getting him the help he needs.

An ounce of prevention.

Last edited by WalkingTheDocks; 03-16-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,277
Likes: 0
Received 1,984 Likes on 979 Posts
Default

From the little I have read I am assuming the kid is a special kind of dipshit. Make terrorists threats, get kicked out of school. Put the parents on notice if their guns are used by their kid to shoot someone, they will be charged with multiple felonies.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 519 Likes on 242 Posts
Default

This kid is not going to get better on his own, so unless somebody makes it a serious priority to get him well, I'd bet this ends with destructive action later in life. And we'll all be furious, like we were at the FBI dropping the ball in Parkland...that we discussed this, police interviewed him when he was 12, etc. etc.,

Also, I know 2a supporters hate the idea of any of the stuff the police department mentioned in the article (voluntary forfeit of weapons during investigation, or voluntary inspection of security measures), but as a parent like the OP, you're effectively having to trust these other parents who are already seemingly failing to raise a well adjusted child to secure their guns so your own children aren't killed as a result.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,639
Received 805 Likes on 386 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WalkingTheDocks View Post
So to me it's great that we're having this discussion before the kid does anything drastic.

Many of us call this a "mental health" issue, so now that we're aware that the kid in question is having a difficult time, what's the recourse for him getting help? Are the parents pursuing MH care with him?

RE: Screwed for life, it's a shame that's the mentality. There are resources for getting help, and for becoming a happy, healthy, productive member of society. Kids have all kinds of trouble, there should be resources in place for getting him the help he needs.

An ounce of prevention.
Not when your parents are dipshits
Old 03-16-2018, 06:55 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 858
Likes: 0
Received 2,432 Likes on 977 Posts
Default

all school students and teachers (except biology teachers) should be armed. instead of recess or PE 2 days a week schools should have a gun range on campus with instructors. how much fun would that be for the students? btw, threatening the teachers pets will really get some of the dog lovers here panties in a bunch.

Last edited by bugnut; 03-16-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: make the post even way more better
Old 03-16-2018, 07:04 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,795
Received 8,163 Likes on 4,309 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WalkingTheDocks View Post
This kid is not going to get better on his own, so unless somebody makes it a serious priority to get him well, I'd bet this ends with destructive action later in life. And we'll all be furious, like we were at the FBI dropping the ball in Parkland...that we discussed this, police interviewed him when he was 12, etc. etc.,

Also, I know 2a supporters hate the idea of any of the stuff the police department mentioned in the article (voluntary forfeit of weapons during investigation, or voluntary inspection of security measures), but as a parent like the OP, you're effectively having to trust these other parents who are already seemingly failing to raise a well adjusted child to secure their guns so your own children aren't killed as a result.
Any kid who makes a threat to a school should be permanently removed from that school, and placed in either Juvenal detention, or a secure mental heath facility, until the root cause of their issue is known. I am not suggesting that due process not be followed, but such crimes should definitely fall under the category of bond ineligible.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,311
Likes: 0
Received 1,356 Likes on 664 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Any kid who makes a threat to a school should be permanently removed from that school, and placed in either Juvenal detention, or a secure mental heath facility, until the root cause of their issue is known. I am not suggesting that due process not be followed, but such crimes should definitely fall under the category of bond ineligible.
I agree with removing the kid from others while figuring it all out.


This is my view in general not towards you Auto.....I am still stuck on his reasoning for why he said he had a kill list. Says he told them that to prevent the other kids from picking on him. I don't want all the kids to be coddled and or forced to play with each other but sounds like he was also being picked on and has learned that this kind of threat gives him some sort of power over those other kids. The whole thing needs to be investigated from his actions to the possible actions of the other kids towards him, finding the cause for his issues can give a starting point for resolving his issues.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,311
Likes: 0
Received 1,356 Likes on 664 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WalkingTheDocks View Post

Also, I know 2a supporters hate the idea of any of the stuff the police department mentioned in the article (voluntary forfeit of weapons during investigation, or voluntary inspection of security measures), but as a parent like the OP, you're effectively having to trust these other parents who are already seemingly failing to raise a well adjusted child to secure their guns so your own children aren't killed as a result.
I support the 2nd but what the cops asked is not crazy or anything from my view and doesn't violate the 2nd. They offered the parents about the only thing they could offer which is all strictly voluntarily based.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,434
Likes: 0
Received 415 Likes on 241 Posts
Default

I think any such threat should result in an indefinite suspension not less than the remaining school year only to be lifted after a clean bill of mental health. The suspended student would be required to meet with a mental health professional twice per week during the suspension.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOBX
Posts: 599
Received 1,051 Likes on 344 Posts
Default

There seems to be no consistency in the response of the school system to these type of incidents. Where I live and work in NC, the local schools suspend kids from school for even relatively innocuous incidents (for example, a kid saying, "I'm gonna kill you!" on the school bus). I get to interview them and try to determine what services are needed to allow them to return to school safely.

The child described by the OP is obviously in need of mental health intervention. His parents are not helping matters. Social services and the court system should be involved.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 519 Likes on 242 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
I support the 2nd but what the cops asked is not crazy or anything from my view and doesn't violate the 2nd. They offered the parents about the only thing they could offer which is all strictly voluntarily based.
Yes, you're right. Sorry I meant that 2a supporters would disagree with any more mandatory versions of those ideas: police requiring verified security of weapons, or requiring temporary removal while the threat is evaluated.

The request for voluntary measures isn't a violation.

I believe parents should be criminally responsible if they fail to secure weapons and they're used by their children in a crime, or police should be able to require intervention measures in instances like these. "Whoops, we didn't know he had access to the guns" shouldn't be an answer I don't think.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,795
Received 8,163 Likes on 4,309 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
I agree with removing the kid from others while figuring it all out.


This is my view in general not towards you Auto.....I am still stuck on his reasoning for why he said he had a kill list. Says he told them that to prevent the other kids from picking on him. I don't want all the kids to be coddled and or forced to play with each other but sounds like he was also being picked on and has learned that this kind of threat gives him some sort of power over those other kids. The whole thing needs to be investigated from his actions to the possible actions of the other kids towards him, finding the cause for his issues can give a starting point for resolving his issues.
I don't disagree with that at all. I think a great first step would be to outright ban cell phones in schools. I realize you can never stop them from coming to school, but absolutely no reason they should be out and in use during the school day, including lunch time. I think a lot the bullying issues we are seeing today are amplified via the social media platforms, which provide the means for students who would not normally engage in bullying to dog pile on, while appearing to be innocent to unknowing adults not in on the conversation.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 909
Likes: 0
Received 442 Likes on 265 Posts
Default

Private school. Kid would be removed immediately, if he even managed to get admitted in the first place.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:38 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,644
Received 3,029 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Default

How about we address the little monsters that are probably torturing the kid?
He said he did this to stop kids from picking on him. He should be asked who is bullying him and these kids should be identified,disciplined,and their parents should be brought into this. Kids are absolutely horrid to each other,especially if someone is a little different somehow.
I'd be willing to bet that kids singling out and torturing one another is at the heart of most of this type of violence we see.
The poor bastards that are the victims of this awful behavior either do some crazy shit like this or commit suicide. It's long past time that teachers identify when and to who this is happening and put a stop to it.

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.
I was putting this together when a few of you posted thoughts along the same lines.

Last edited by north coast; 03-16-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 590
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by north coast View Post
How about we address the little monsters that are probably torturing the kid?
He said he did this to stop kids from picking on him. He should be asked who is bullying him and these kids should be identified,disciplined,and their parents should be brought into this. Kids are absolutely horrid to each other,especially if someone is a little different somehow.
I'd be willing to bet that kids singling out and torturing one another is at the heart of most of this type of violence we see.
The poor bastards that are the victims of this awful behavior either do some crazy shit like this or commit suicide. It's long past time that teachers identify when and to who this is happening and put a stop to it.

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking along these lines.
I was putting this together when a few of you posted thoughts along the same lines.
This, in addition to the kid being taken out of school.

They can counsel him all they want, if the other kids continue to be raging assholes, the counseling isn't going to fix everything.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,311
Likes: 0
Received 1,356 Likes on 664 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jpdeg View Post
This, in addition to the kid being taken out of school.

They can counsel him all they want, if the other kids continue to be raging assholes, the counseling isn't going to fix everything.
I agree but I am also reluctant. Without knowing what the other kids are doing means we are making it into whatever we can think of. They could be just not wanting to play with the kid for all we know. At some point our overt awareness to "bullying" is going to possibly cause even more pussification of our youth. I hate to say it like that but life is not all cupcakes and rainbows, we need to address the assholes who are legitimate assholes to others but need to show restraint in taking this too far else we end up preventing any of our youth from learning hard life lessons.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.