Notices

Custom ski boots

Old 02-12-2018, 05:51 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 439
Received 583 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Custom ski boots

Anyone ever had custom ski boots made? What was your experience and how were they?

I was on skis by 3, double diamonds by 6 and skiing 25+ days a season until I broke my ankle on a standup jetski in 06. Ive tried a few times since then, but with the arthritis issues and my left ankle issues I have not been able to keep the boots on for very long. I can do maybe 2 easy runs and my ankles are killing me.

Turning 30 and Im hoping to get back to it. I know Ill never ski at the level I did in my teens, but Id be fine just cruising blues if I could get a good set of boots made to fit. Any of you ever deal with Surefoot or any of the others? Any others worth looking at?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

My wife and I both have custom boots. Well worth the $$. Stay away from surefoot - my wife had a set of those and they were crap. Find a local shop that does custom boot fitting ( a lot of them each season) and make sure you get the custom liners and footbed. Ask the fitter how many he or she does and how many years doing it. If the shop is any good, they should be able to deal with your particular issues. Check out the on-line reviews and if you wait a few weeks you can probably get some decent end of season deals.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:13 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 439
Received 583 Likes on 317 Posts
Default

Good to know about surefoot, I had my suspicions. Who did you and your wife use? I tried a local guy in Red Bank and it was horrible despite glowing recommendation.not afraid of spending or traveling for the right outcome.

My goal is to get back on skis by early next winter.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 156
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Im a skier but switched to snowboarding briefly because the boots are much more comfortable.

Then I caught a back edge and slammed my head so I sold the board.

Needless to say Im big fan of helmets now.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 12,909
Received 1,454 Likes on 662 Posts
Default

I am on my 5th pair of custom boots.... Last pair was made in Aspen by the guy that does the USA Olympic team..... Took 5 hours from start to finish ....

Boot are like putting a custom suspension and wheels on a sports car... Makes all the difference ...

Make sure you find the best boot fitter and don't worry about the costs.... Mine were almost $1500

http://www.bootech.net/pages/faq_page.html
Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

I got my boots at Olympic boot works in squaw valley. Highly recommend the place. They treat you to an adult beverage while you go through the fitting process. My wife got hers at a boot shop in vail- don’t remember the name.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:13 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,941
Received 1,813 Likes on 809 Posts
Default

Yup worth it. Wrecked my ankle snowmobiling. It does make a difference.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: CLeves Ohio
Posts: 1,417
Likes: 0
Received 419 Likes on 236 Posts
Default

There are a lot of boot fitters that can custom fit boots. And then you have the new vacuum fit boots like fisher and couple others. To get recommendations on fitters near you search ski forums.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have some Surefoot Boots which I now Absolutely love. They do stand behind their product. They have locations at many mountains that you can just walk into and they will fix or adjust your boots no matter where you got them. They will do this forever.

As it turns out I initially had them fitted by a "new person" at a surefoot location which led to having a horrible fit and numerous adjustments over two seasons. I finally met up with the store manager in Steamboat and for no additional cost he totally started over. He was done in 30 Minutes and they have been perfect ever since and I have needed zero adjustments.

The lesson is it's absolutely critical to have a very experienced person help you in order to get the proper fit.This is way more important than the company or brand in my opinion. The advice to poke around the ski forums and figure out who comes highly recommended in certain areas is spot on. Most the time you will need to book an appointment with the really good fitters.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 968
Received 971 Likes on 530 Posts
Default

Wait - ski forums are where you should do research for ski boots?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 439
Received 583 Likes on 317 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rickboat View Post
Wait - ski forums are where you should do research for ski boots?
If it's worth knowing, someone here knows it.

Good information guys, not likely I'll be heading out west to do this, but I'll join a ski forum and see of I can find someone in the northeast.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA and Ocean City, MD
Posts: 128
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

If you haven't bought or tried on boots in the last couple of years, look into moldable shells (in addition to liners). These are not full-custom boots (and do not come with the same cost) but are light years ahead of older boots. I also started skiing very young and started wearing Lange boots as a young ski racer - the most uncomfortable of the uncomfortable. I wore Lange until this year (30+ years later) when I finally bought a boot that I consider comfortable - Atomic Hawx Ultra 130. Fully customizable/moldable liner and shell, comfortable, and skis great.

Bottom line, do not underestimate the value of a good boot fitter. If you have specific questions PM me. I have a couple of friends who are themselves pro boot fitters and would be happy to ask questions for you.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:56 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jerczystan
Posts: 439
Received 583 Likes on 317 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mwhaley View Post
I have some Surefoot Boots which I now Absolutely love. They do stand behind their product. They have locations at many mountains that you can just walk into and they will fix or adjust your boots no matter where you got them. They will do this forever.

As it turns out I initially had them fitted by a "new person" at a surefoot location which led to having a horrible fit and numerous adjustments over two seasons. I finally met up with the store manager in Steamboat and for no additional cost he totally started over. He was done in 30 Minutes and they have been perfect ever since and I have needed zero adjustments.

The lesson is it's absolutely critical to have a very experienced person help you in order to get the proper fit.This is way more important than the company or brand in my opinion. The advice to poke around the ski forums and figure out who comes highly recommended in certain areas is spot on. Most the time you will need to book an appointment with the really good fitters.
Might be worth going to their NYC location and having a chat. Could make a day trip out of it and it would be a good time wherher I go forward with them or not. Can't hurt to research.

Originally Posted by BoatlessinOC View Post
If you haven't bought or tried on boots in the last couple of years, look into moldable shells (in addition to liners). These are not full-custom boots (and do not come with the same cost) but are light years ahead of older boots. I also started skiing very young and started wearing Lange boots as a young ski racer - the most uncomfortable of the uncomfortable. I wore Lange until this year (30+ years later) when I finally bought a boot that I consider comfortable - Atomic Hawx Ultra 130. Fully customizable/moldable liner and shell, comfortable, and skis great.

Bottom line, do not underestimate the value of a good boot fitter. If you have specific questions PM me. I have a couple of friends who are themselves pro boot fitters and would be happy to ask questions for you.
I had this done in 2012 and have not tried since then. Felt like my ankles were in a hydraulic vice. Might be worth revisiting though. I'll send a pm shortly
Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 802
Received 430 Likes on 222 Posts
Default

There is a company called Apex making a novel ski boot that is literally a snowboard boot that has a binding attachment that locks into your ski bindings. You put the snowboard boots on that have a double BOA tightening system and step into a contraption that you then tighten up on the boot and that is locked into your ski binding like a normal ski boot.

Saw this guys boots and started chatting about them with him and he said he pretty much was going to give up skiing due to the discomfort of his boots until he found those and he raved about them. Google Apex ski boots
Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,698
Received 1,450 Likes on 889 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stray Current View Post
Might be worth going to their NYC location and having a chat. Could make a day trip out of it and it would be a good time wherher I go forward with them or not. Can't hurt to research.



I had this done in 2012 and have not tried since then. Felt like my ankles were in a hydraulic vice. Might be worth revisiting though. I'll send a pm shortly
Where do you go skiing? There are several great shops in the northeast, including Inner Boot Works at Stowe, some of the best in the country.

Here are a couple established bootfitters in the NJ area (and the site will help you find fitters in other locations as well:

http://www.bootfitters.com/find-a-fi..._area=NJ&keys=

These guys are in southern VT and very well regarded:

http://www.bootfitters.com/find-a-fi..._area=NJ&keys=
Old 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 427
Likes: 0
Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

mine are worth gold to me, money well spent!
Find the best fitter in your area. Let him pick the boot for your foot. I went through 4 pair until we got something that works. I ended up with custom footbeds, moldable liners and fisher vacuum boots. the trick was to heat everything together at the same time then go to the vacuum machine. after a little more fine tuning it worked!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Key West FL-currently touring 48 state USA
Posts: 70
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Default



Chris made my last 2 boots...

Home - Inkline Foot Science

Pro tip
Always carry-on/keep your ski boots with your person when traveling, if/when they get lost/stolen it ruins your trip suffering wearing/using some non fitted/custom made ski boots...

Last edited by Skipperbuccaneer; 02-18-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-18-2018, 03:14 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,752
Received 699 Likes on 394 Posts
Default

On a related note, I had a pair of garbage boots which unfortunately seem to have permanently mated with my garbage ski bindings, can't get new boots to lock in properly so if I want to change anything it's going to have to be new boots, bindings, and skis for me.

I swung by surefoot and they sold me a set of take out "high end" linings for $75 or $100. Fit my cheapo boot shells like a glove and made the boots feel better than new.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:21 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 4,078
Received 1,184 Likes on 540 Posts
Default

Apex boots! Years ago they started, in Boulder I think. I was being flown around the country doing talks at shows for Subaru and PSIA, and had a pair to show where the sport might be going. Glad they made it, but I would not want them. Size 10.5 foot, skied a Lange 8, with a ton of company support. My feet show the damage now, but my flip flops don't hurt!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:23 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 3,176
Received 625 Likes on 392 Posts
Default

Full tilt and call it a day
There is a reason the design hasn't changed

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.