Notices

I Can't Take It No More!!!

Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BFE
Posts: 2,979
Received 1,077 Likes on 640 Posts
Default I Can't Take It No More!!!

Approx. 5 years ago I retired.

I've gotten into all kinds of new hobbies but even that gets old after awhile.

I'm too much of a busybody so I've decided to get back into the working field once again.

I'm in my mid 50's but am in better health/shape than most (short of old injuries, aching bones) but I can still hold my own.

Going to get back into residential remodeling again but limiting it to strictly kitchen and bath remodels, mainly hanging cabinets and doing trim installs.

Owned my own remodeling business and cabinet shop at one time plus I have a load of experience in building.

I also possess a lot of other skill sets ranging from A to Z where fabrication of any type is concerned.
I'm a truly gifted, mechanically inclined individual.

Not gloating, just humbly stating.

Since it seems that just about everything is submitted on line these days & I know things have changed in this time era I'm pondering as to whether or not I should add additional links to a photo hosting site displaying other talents I'm capable of.

These other links/photos are to nothing more than building hobbies of mine and I know adding hobbies and interest "can" be a 2 sided sword submitting them within a resume.

Of course, my resume will definitely have a link to my work portfolio.


So what's THT member's thoughts on this subject?

Should I or should I not add the additional portfolio links for my building hobbies?

Last edited by Riptied; 02-12-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: word/spelling correction
Old 02-12-2018, 09:42 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 394
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Go for it.

If you need help..........

I hear Russ is looking for a job.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:42 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central IL/ Ft Myers FL
Posts: 560
Received 221 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

I plan on retiring in less than 2 years as I am sick of the corporate grind. I am in my 50s and still moving good. I fear the same, need to do something
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 567
Received 1,446 Likes on 698 Posts
Default

I fear a few things like snakes and lightning and running out of bourbon and a shortage of buffalo wings, but too much time isn't one of them. Yall need to find something else to be afraid of.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 22,045
Received 3,325 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Default

Tell em all you are capable of and are willing to do.

SELL EVERYTHING and go for YOUR DREAM!!!!

If it doesn't work out .... start a, Go Fund Me ....

Oh, and it is either:
I Can't Take It Anymore!!!
or
I can take it no more!!!





.



.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,398
Received 726 Likes on 370 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tangledline View Post
Go for it.

If you need help..........

I hear Russ is looking for a job.
May have missed your chance with Russ ,he’s most likely at lunch with his new boss.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,162
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Riptied View Post
Approx. 5 years ago I retired.

I've gotten into all kinds of new hobbies but even that gets old after awhile.

I'm too much of a busybody so I've decided to get back into the working field once again.

I'm in my mid 50's but am in better health/shape than most (short of old injuries, aching bones) but I can still hold my own.

Going to get back into residential remodeling again but limiting it to strictly kitchen and bath remodels, mainly hanging cabinets and doing trim installs.

Owned my own remodeling business and cabinet shop at one time plus I have a load of experience in building.

I also possess a lot of other skill sets ranging from A to Z where fabrication of any type is concerned.
I'm a truly gifted, mechanically inclined individual.

Not bloating, just humbly stating.

Since it seems that just about everything is submitted on line these days & I know things have changed in this time era I'm pondering as to whether or not I should add additional links to a photo hosting site displaying other talents I'm capable of.

These other links/photos are to nothing more than building hobbies of mine and I know adding hobbies and interest "can" be a 2 sided sword submitting them within a resume.

Of course, my resume will definitely have a link to my work portfolio.


So what's THT member's thoughts on this subject?

Should I or should I not add the additional portfolio links for my building hobbies?
I wish you were in Central Florida! You are exactly who I'm looking for!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:13 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BFE
Posts: 2,979
Received 1,077 Likes on 640 Posts
Default

Shoot me a PM, everything is negotiable.

I'm not that far away from you.
Located in central west part of the state.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:15 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 7,559
Received 1,577 Likes on 842 Posts
Default

You're missing something. I retired at 56 in 2005 and haven't looked back.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BFE
Posts: 2,979
Received 1,077 Likes on 640 Posts
Default

Not all apples are the same.

I enjoy building, especially if it's with somebody else's money.

I personally and single handedly performed all aspects of these remodels/builds from A to Z.
Framing, cabinets, trim, stone install, tile, glass, DW, texturing, painting, ect., etc., etc..
Even the cabinet building/modifications, lighting and plumbing in a few.

But as already stated, I'm only getting back into the finish cabinetry/trim aspects and maybe some tile/stone work as long as not being on your knees is involved.

I had no intention of posting pics of my portfolio within this thread but here's just a few of my past completed jobs/projects.










Name:  xFAaT8u.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  0mxjjq1.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  KQcUu6q.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  KiZ7TFt.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  65.0 KB

















Name:  c9G9EvT.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  KF05TSo.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  97.1 KB













Name:  1B2naSb.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  137.0 KB

Name:  ZQOHDXM.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  102.4 KB











Name:  YGxS6vX.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  x7ow4at.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  61.7 KB











Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,086
Likes: 0
Received 488 Likes on 324 Posts
Default

Wow!
Bwp
Old 02-12-2018, 11:14 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

So. your located where?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BFE
Posts: 2,979
Received 1,077 Likes on 640 Posts
Default

Central West Florida on the coast
Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Riptied View Post
Central West Florida on the coast
Good, now people in your area can ring you up, you do some nice work. I'm in Jersey, do you deliver?

Give me a good price, I fly you up, you redo my place and stay in our guest suite, while your here you can go see NYC and I'll show you around.

JJ
Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BFE
Posts: 2,979
Received 1,077 Likes on 640 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Good, now people in your area can ring you up, you do some nice work. I'm in Jersey, do you deliver?

Give me a good price, I fly you up, you redo my place and stay in our guest suite, while your here you can go see NYC and I'll show you around.

JJ
Thanks
I have a lot of pride in my work and enjoy remodeling.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

Jersey? Jersey?? Jersey???

To cold up there for my southern blood.
Plus I'm scared to death of you all when your down here.

Only problem with flying is you can't bring along everything (tools & equipment) which is needed to tackle projects like these.

I did travel all the way out to Cali one year (long time ago) to restore a house for some customers.
Gagged half to death while there as that particular year they were having a dreadful drought and you couldn't breath without choking from all the pollen, dust and whatever else was floating around in the air.
Plus they were having a record high heat wave that year as well.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:59 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central IL/ Ft Myers FL
Posts: 560
Received 221 Likes on 130 Posts
Default

WOW, I will NOT show those pics to my wife!! amazing work sir!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,796
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Nice looking work there, Riptide.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:32 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Space Coast - FL
Posts: 1,071
Received 313 Likes on 198 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by offroadr View Post
WOW, I will NOT show those pics to my wife!! amazing work sir!
this
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Riptied View Post
Thanks
I have a lot of pride in my work and enjoy remodeling.

Treat others as you want to be treated.

Jersey? Jersey?? Jersey???

To cold up there for my southern blood.
Plus I'm scared to death of you all when your down here.

Only problem with flying is you can't bring along everything (tools & equipment) which is needed to tackle projects like these.

I did travel all the way out to Cali one year (long time ago) to restore a house for some customers.
Gagged half to death while there as that particular year they were having a dreadful drought and you couldn't breath without choking from all the pollen, dust and whatever else was floating around in the air.
Plus they were having a record high heat wave that year as well.

We do have summers, and guess what, tools too! We even have Home Depot's for all your needs. I also own a boat, no reason on the weekend you can't hit up the shore house and enjoy some of our waters.

You've got a great talent, work on jobs you want to take on, if the potential customer shows signs of being a PIA, walk away, no reason to stress. Best of luck.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BFE
Posts: 2,979
Received 1,077 Likes on 640 Posts
Default

I learned a long time ago to run like the devil is after you when interior designers are involved.

Those type of projects are like the never ending song.............................................. .
Something or another Always getting changed in the middle or at the end of completion.

Then again, I've had to deal with a few regular customers/home owners that you just can't please no matter what.
All you can do is grit your teeth, bear with it, pray for the end and put them on call block after the check clears.

I have a fairly good sense of reading people and how a potential customer is going to be / act upon initial meetings/conferences with them.
If the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, wish them a good day and Run Forest, Run.

Communication and a full understanding is the key.

You have to make the customer fully aware of all parameters of the project and any deviation shall include a signed additional work order supplement (w/ additional deposit)attached to the original contract prior to commencement of changes.

This is the Only professional practice to follow and keeps the nonsense at bay.

First thing they teach you in law school, Put It In Writing or it doesn't exist.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.