Notices

Maine Bear Hunt

Old 02-12-2018, 09:09 AM
  #1  
cdx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cecil co. MD
Posts: 3,472
Received 392 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Maine Bear Hunt

I am going to Maine mid-September for a black bear hunt. Anyone have insight on the early fall hunting conditions? I am wondering about insect repellent/control, average temperature, etc. Hunting can be done with either a firearm or a bow. I plan on taking the bow, to use if conditions appear right for me. I will also be taking a 30-06. Iím curious to know what ammo most use on black bear. Iíve been using Remington Core-Loct 150 grain PSP for years on deer. Is that round is sufficient on black bears? Or should I step up to a 180? According to the outfit I booked with, shots will be inside of 100 yards, with a better likelihood of having 30-50 yard shots. With a 30-50 yard shot, I was also considering taking my 44 magnum lever gun. If, as I said, the conditions are right, and it appears that a reasonable chance at a 30 yard shot, I may use a bow. Iím a novice to bear hunting, seen quite a few in WV deer hunting over the years, never killed one. Also have never been to Maine before.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:25 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 2,036
Likes: 0
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts
Default

Still hunting or with dogs?
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM
  #3  
cdx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cecil co. MD
Posts: 3,472
Received 392 Likes on 198 Posts
Default

Will be hunting from a stand. No dogs.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,988
Received 9,516 Likes on 5,164 Posts
Default

I don't know a thing in the world about bear, other than they are mean as hell and can climb trees. That being the case, I want quick follow up shots, so no bolt action.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West of my Right mind...
Posts: 4,359
Likes: 0
Received 588 Likes on 344 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdx View Post
Will be hunting from a stand. No dogs.
Over bait? Donuts, maybe?
Bears love 'em, and stale bakery discards is common bait for bear stands...
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 1,792
Received 842 Likes on 445 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdx View Post
I am going to Maine mid-September for a black bear hunt. Anyone have insight on the early fall hunting conditions? I am wondering about insect repellent/control, average temperature, etc. Hunting can be done with either a firearm or a bow. I plan on taking the bow, to use if conditions appear right for me. I will also be taking a 30-06. Iím curious to know what ammo most use on black bear. Iíve been using Remington Core-Loct 150 grain PSP for years on deer. Is that round is sufficient on black bears? Or should I step up to a 180? According to the outfit I booked with, shots will be inside of 100 yards, with a better likelihood of having 30-50 yard shots. With a 30-50 yard shot, I was also considering taking my 44 magnum lever gun. If, as I said, the conditions are right, and it appears that a reasonable chance at a 30 yard shot, I may use a bow. Iím a novice to bear hunting, seen quite a few in WV deer hunting over the years, never killed one. Also have never been to Maine before.
Last few years Sept has been balmy. Bugs pretty much gone that time of year.

The Core-Loct is a good choice...either 150 gr or 180 gr. Just be sure to sight in for either.

Would also be cool to take with the 44.

I am no bow hunter so can't help there.

There are so many bears in Maine it's almost guaranteed.

Good luck, where you going?

Maine is awesome...

Bill
Old 02-12-2018, 10:31 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 2,036
Likes: 0
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts
Default

I would shoot the 180g Hornady superperformance. A box of shell is only like $25. But either would probably do.

I have some friends who are bear hunting fanatics around here, but they use dogs. A 45-70 lever is their gun of choice.

Ive been once, not my cup of tea.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 273
Likes: 0
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Not my cup of tea either, but have been a few times. You want quick follow up shots and generally you wont be shooting beyond 30-40 yards up here. I'd take the 44 lever and a box of 340 grain Buffalo Big Bore ammo.

Ive used a 30-30 lever and 35 remington lever with great luck.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:12 AM
  #9  
cdx
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cecil co. MD
Posts: 3,472
Received 392 Likes on 198 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I don't know a thing in the world about bear, other than they are mean as hell and can climb trees. That being the case, I want quick follow up shots, so no bolt action.
As far as firearms go, Will be using a lever gun or pump action rifle.

Originally Posted by Uncas View Post
Over bait? Donuts, maybe?
Bears love 'em, and stale bakery discards is common bait for bear stands...
Yes bait.

Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Last few years Sept has been balmy. Bugs pretty much gone that time of year.

The Core-Loct is a good choice...either 150 gr or 180 gr. Just be sure to sight in for either.

Would also be cool to take with the 44.

I am no bow hunter so can't help there.

There are so many bears in Maine it's almost guaranteed.

Good luck, where you going?

Maine is awesome...

Bill
Will be around Medford, ME. At least that is the mailing address of the guide service. He did say that area hunted would be about an hour drive.

Last edited by cdx; 02-12-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,531
Likes: 0
Received 464 Likes on 355 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdx View Post
I am going to Maine mid-September for a black bear hunt. Anyone have insight on the early fall hunting conditions? I am wondering about insect repellent/control, average temperature, etc. Hunting can be done with either a firearm or a bow. I plan on taking the bow, to use if conditions appear right for me. I will also be taking a 30-06. Iím curious to know what ammo most use on black bear. Iíve been using Remington Core-Loct 150 grain PSP for years on deer. Is that round is sufficient on black bears? Or should I step up to a 180? According to the outfit I booked with, shots will be inside of 100 yards, with a better likelihood of having 30-50 yard shots. With a 30-50 yard shot, I was also considering taking my 44 magnum lever gun. If, as I said, the conditions are right, and it appears that a reasonable chance at a 30 yard shot, I may use a bow. Iím a novice to bear hunting, seen quite a few in WV deer hunting over the years, never killed one. Also have never been to Maine before.
Whatever you shoot him with, make sure you put it through the shoulders if you want him to drop fast. I took a 300# PA black bear back in 1980. Shot him through the heart and both lungs with a .308. He went almost a hundred yards.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:43 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Likes: 0
Received 781 Likes on 496 Posts
Default

You will need insect repellant. Also if real bad take some netting I shot bear there 7mm with 170g average size is 150lbs some bigger a lot smaller
Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 547
Likes: 0
Received 160 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RedBank Steve View Post
Whatever you shoot him with, make sure you put it through the shoulders if you want him to drop fast. I took a 300# PA black bear back in 1980. Shot him through the heart and both lungs with a .308. He went almost a hundred yards.
If that is the case, given the yardage the OP has stated, I would not use a 150 grain. The jacket simply is not sufficient to hold the bullet together. On a 150 pounder sure. What happens if he see's a big one? Like 4-500 pounds.

I'd prefer at least the 180 grain if not the 220.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:46 PM
  #13  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 9,301
Received 2,614 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default

If you want the best bait, stop at McDonald's and get a few gallons of their old grease and spread it around a tree base. They will come for miles.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:56 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 175
Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Shot several now with a bow. Biggest went 348lbs, none went more than 50yards. My setup is almost 500grain arrow out of an 80lb alphaburner. Hits wicked hard! My wife hunts with a 325grain arrow out of a 42lb Matthews Passion. Again several dead bear in 50 yards or so with one that went almost 100. She only had one lung on that one.

Biggest difference? My arrow is stuck in ground after pass through and hers is usually still in the bear on recovery.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.