Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Broward Co. recruting teachers from NYC

Notices

Broward Co. recruting teachers from NYC

Old 02-07-2018, 12:02 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default Broward Co. recruting teachers from NYC

Broward Co. is head hunting for teachers in the NYC area, posting they are offering competitive pay etc.

Per my wife (a teacher) they will be here later this week/next week looking to fill positions.

Offer also states they are willing to give up to 13th step rate, not sure what that is for area schools but near me it's in the 80K range for special ed. teachers with a masters.

Anyone here know what the County pays it's teachers?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,385
Received 276 Likes on 173 Posts
Default

No way they are paying public teachers 80k in miami. Is it a private or charter school doing the headhunting? Never even heard of public schools recruiting...outside of universities. Ex-GF graduated from college same time as me, making like 45k in broward... elementary.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:01 PM
  #3  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: cape cod
Posts: 1,147
Received 638 Likes on 332 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Broward Co. is head hunting for teachers in the NYC area, posting they are offering competitive pay etc.

Per my wife (a teacher) they will be here later this week/next week looking to fill positions.

Offer also states they are willing to give up to 13th step rate, not sure what that is for area schools but near me it's in the 80K range for special ed. teachers with a masters.

Anyone here know what the County pays it's teachers?

So your wife teaches in NY? Your post is a little unclear. Assuming she is a NY teacher with 10 plus years of experience moving to Florida can be a risky move. Number 1 Florida is in the final stages of removing tenure and due process provisions and no Florida is not competitively priced in terms of salaries. In addition she must pass an exam known as the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE), it's a battery of "must pass" teacher tests to get a permanent license to teach there. Part of the reason there are so many openings is that Fl. fired 100's of teachers with many years of experience who could not pass this heavily modified exam.

The bright side is it would be a nice place to work compared to the freezing rain I'm dealing with today.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

I have no doubt my wife could pass the test, she's from private industry with her BS in business and her masters in special ed. I also know there's no way she'd leave working here in northern NJ until she confirmed a position and negotiated a contract in Broward.

It's a long shot for us to make the move at this moment, but doing some research on the matter can't hurt.

(My wife would never teach in NYC, it's a hell hole and they don't pay either.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:18 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Based on the pay scale you mentioned, a "regular" teacher (with a masters) would be looking at a number with a 4 in front.

The real lure is based on quality of life and spouses wanting to move. The number won't have a 8 in front of it. Special Education, if you can be the ESE teacher in the school... maybe a 6 in front. Maybe.

And... to the other poster... Miami isn't in Broward. LOL. And, for the record, Miami treats their teachers much better than Broward. The pecking order in desirability for the tri county area -- as far as being a teacher is:

Palm Beach
Miami-Dade
Broward

...and once the testing numbers bounce back down from the fake bump that Runcie performed (his contract was up for renewal) -- it'll get really bad... Broward schools are in for a world of hurt between the development going on and the increase demand for segregation of gifted, etc. The bad schools will get far worse...

Runcie is a nightmare.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:35 PM
  #6  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: cape cod
Posts: 1,147
Received 638 Likes on 332 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
I have no doubt my wife could pass the test, she's from private industry with her BS in business and her masters in special ed. I also know there's no way she'd leave working here in northern NJ until she confirmed a position and negotiated a contract in Broward.

It's a long shot for us to make the move at this moment, but doing some research on the matter can't hurt.

(My wife would never teach in NYC, it's a hell hole and they don't pay either.
Ok just to be clear you asked for input right because your response seems a little angry? I never said your wife couldn't pass a Fl. state test and I also asked if she taught in NY. I was simply giving you information that you seemed to be asking for. So now I know she isn't a teacher, but works in the private sector. You didn't make that clear in your initial post. Broward County is a public school district in southern Fl. and public schools don't give teachers contracts. And just to be clear calling NYC a hell hole is a pretty unkind thing to say to the 75,000 teachers that bust their ass there every day. By the way the top salary in NYC is 120,000 per year, plus free health care, and a pension, which brings your real earnings closer to 135,000. I don't consider that chump change when you're teaching Kindergarten do you?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:38 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rocky Point FL
Posts: 8,770
Received 1,624 Likes on 777 Posts
Default

My wife used to teach in broward no way 80 anywhere in florida
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cman55 View Post
Ok just to be clear you asked for input right because your response seems a little angry? I never said your wife couldn't pass a Fl. state test and I also asked if she taught in NY. I was simply giving you information that you seemed to be asking for. So now I know she isn't a teacher, but works in the private sector. You didn't make that clear in your initial post. Broward County is a public school district in southern Fl. and public schools don't give teachers contracts. And just to be clear calling NYC a hell hole is a pretty unkind thing to say to the 75,000 teachers that bust their ass there every day. By the way the top salary in NYC is 120,000 per year, plus free health care, and a pension, which brings your real earnings closer to 135,000. I don't consider that chump change when you're teaching Kindergarten do you?
I don't know what about what I said sounded angry, I was just stating her (my wife's)credentials.

I stated rather clearly in my first post that she is in a fact (a teacher), she was in the private sector for a number of years prior to becoming a teacher, she doesn't work in NYC but she does work in northern NJ, her income far exceeds that of a NYC teacher with the same degree and step rate.

NYC schools are a hell hole when you factor in the low lives one often encounters as a teacher in the outer boros, read the Bronx and Brooklyn. Just for the record not every teacher in NYC that makes the top step is teaching kindergarten. Also we enjoy the benefit of a pension plan and medical benefits.

So not angry, your reading into it too much.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:45 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Based on the pay scale you mentioned, a "regular" teacher (with a masters) would be looking at a number with a 4 in front.

The real lure is based on quality of life and spouses wanting to move. The number won't have a 8 in front of it. Special Education, if you can be the ESE teacher in the school... maybe a 6 in front. Maybe.

And... to the other poster... Miami isn't in Broward. LOL. And, for the record, Miami treats their teachers much better than Broward. The pecking order in desirability for the tri county area -- as far as being a teacher is:

Palm Beach
Miami-Dade
Broward

...and once the testing numbers bounce back down from the fake bump that Runcie performed (his contract was up for renewal) -- it'll get really bad... Broward schools are in for a world of hurt between the development going on and the increase demand for segregation of gifted, etc. The bad schools will get far worse...

Runcie is a nightmare.
The 6 would work for us depending on the quality and structure of the system your forced to operate under. We will see, you know I have that other issue on the table for myself, but it's on the west coast, tick tock.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
The 6 would work for us depending on the quality and structure of the system your forced to operate under. We will see, you know I have that other issue on the table for myself, but it's on the west coast, tick tock.
The smart money is on the teachers that are going to Palm Beach County. That guy knows what he's doing. He treats his teacher fairly, but doesn't rape the taxpayer. He genuinely give a shit about the kids too.

This is coming from a guy that left a top-rated pubic Broward school and went to Private. Trust me when I tell you, Broward isn't a place you want to teach in public. Got o Palm Beach.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:02 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,620
Received 1,959 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Broward Co. is head hunting for teachers in the NYC area, posting they are offering competitive pay etc.

Per my wife (a teacher) they will be here later this week/next week looking to fill positions.

Offer also states they are willing to give up to 13th step rate, not sure what that is for area schools but near me it's in the 80K range for special ed. teachers with a masters.

Anyone here know what the County pays it's teachers?
There's a rough guess

http://www.broward.k12.fl.us/teacher..._schedule.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2018, 02:13 PM
  #12  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: cape cod
Posts: 1,147
Received 638 Likes on 332 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
I don't know what about what I said sounded angry, I was just stating her (my wife's)credentials.

I stated rather clearly in my first post that she is in a fact (a teacher), she was in the private sector for a number of years prior to becoming a teacher, she doesn't work in NYC but she does work in northern NJ, her income far exceeds that of a NYC teacher with the same degree and step rate.

NYC schools are a hell hole when you factor in the low lives one often encounters as a teacher in the outer boros, read the Bronx and Brooklyn. Just for the record not every teacher in NYC that makes the top step is teaching kindergarten. Also we enjoy the benefit of a pension plan and medical benefits.

So not angry, your reading into it too much.


Ok I hear you, but perhaps you might want to reconsider calling NYC a hell hole when asking an open forum a question because someone who works there might find that offensive. Also you said step 13 near you was about 80 k. Well step 13 in NYC is 87k and step 15 is 102k.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,106
Received 330 Likes on 189 Posts
Default

Lake_Washington_Education_Association_(LWEA)_Salary_Summary.pdf

This is a better paying school district around Seattle.. Broward County pay is not great. My wife is at Step 13, MA+45, and NBCT (which adds $5500)
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2018, 02:32 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,747
Received 897 Likes on 460 Posts
Default

You can find it online, but if they are looking to fill critical shortage areas or put teachers in failing schools, they have a little wiggle room from posted salaries. In my county north of Tampa we are close to $40k. I am in my 13th year and not sure I want to keep going. It has become a cluster$&@? I am pretty sure any teacher coming from NYC is going to get the shaft and probably be a high risk for leaving within a year.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:47 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,764
Likes: 0
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cman55 View Post
Ok I hear you, but perhaps you might want to reconsider calling NYC a hell hole when asking an open forum a question because someone who works there might find that offensive. Also you said step 13 near you was about 80 k. Well step 13 in NYC is 87k and step 15 is 102k.
A job is about so much more then money, also when I say schools around us are in the 80k "range", that's because we have so many small cities In northern NJ and each one has their own step rate, so the range is in the area of 70-90K, my wife is at the very top of that figure/range.

Have you ever taught in one of the outer boros of NYC? If you have you'd know what a hell hole it can be. Not looking to offend anyone, just know what life is like living across the river from it my whole life.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,385
Received 4,476 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default

I envision this as reality

Old 02-07-2018, 05:40 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,444
Received 941 Likes on 593 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Have you ever taught in one of the outer boros of NYC? If you have you'd know what a hell hole it can be. Not looking to offend anyone, just know what life is like living across the river from it my whole life.
Frankly, it depends upon "where" in the outer boroughs - the northern Bronx, parts of Brooklyn and Queens, and most of Staten Island are all very good - as is Manhattan south of 120th street.
My wife teaches in a pretty nice, mostly Italian section of Queens, and has no real complaints. With her extra work as a testing coordinator and being in for over 20 years, last year she made $127,000, and at age 55 (minimum age for full retirement) with her 32 years in the system will retire to collect 70% (plus yearly COLA) of the average of her highest two years of pay and lifetime medical for working 183 days per year (not counting the 10 sick days she gets).
The NYS pension system is far more generous than the NJ system.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 415
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

I don't know for sure but you might have to be bilingual to teach in a public school in South Florida.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:16 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm City, FL
Posts: 3,230
Likes: 0
Received 3,474 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
The smart money is on the teachers that are going to Palm Beach County. That guy knows what he's doing. He treats his teacher fairly, but doesn't rape the taxpayer. He genuinely give a shit about the kids too.

This is caoming from a guy that left a top-rated pubic Broward school and went to Private. Trust me when I tell you, Broward isn't a place you want to teach in public. Got o Palm Beach.
If you are talking about Super Avossa, he is out at the end of school year.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:51 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 9,557
Received 1,792 Likes on 848 Posts
Default

Wouldn't care what the number was, just the fact that you can live and boat in a sub tropical climate year round would have me calling the realtor in South Florida.
Besides, they need more folks from Jersey down there

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.