Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

People and the bare minimum. What do you think?

Notices

People and the bare minimum. What do you think?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default People and the bare minimum. What do you think?

I've been reading threads about merchants, railroads, contractors, realtors, nursing homes, etc...

And it really begs to ask:

Do you think people, for the most part do the absolute bare minimum or do most people try their hardest at everything they do and simply are not equip to the most simplest of tasks?

Part of me thinks people are just lazy and don't care -- mostly because I don't want to believe that people - as a species - can really be THAT stupid.

But the more I see people at green lights on their phone, or too stupid to know how to spell "Salad" or all the other amazingly simple things that just leave me wondering...

What are your thoughts?

Are we a bare-minimum population, or are we just that stupid?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:51 AM
  #2  
dev
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,074
Received 1,157 Likes on 545 Posts
Default

I think it is silly to try to group "people" as a whole into a singular category like this.
Some people will go the extra mile, others will not.

Also, you are more likely to be made aware of 1 screwup than 1,000,000 samples of people doing what was expected (or a little more) where nothing went wrong and there was no news story to be told.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:55 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dev View Post
I think it is silly to try to group "people" as a whole into a singular category like this.
Some people will go the extra mile, others will not.

Also, you are more likely to be made aware of 1 screwup than 1,000,000 samples of people doing what was expected (or a little more) where nothing went wrong and there was no news story to be told.
I don't know... I think you can say if generally people will do something or not.

For example, I see you trip and fall in the street and you can't get up. I think 99% of people will run to you and help you get up.

Or... I see $100 fall out of your pocket, I think 99% of people won't say anything and keep the $100 (I did this exact thing outside a bagel store once... the bitch thought I stole the $100 from her pocket, it was a nasty experience.)

So... I disagree, I think people CAN be lumped on things like this.

...and I'll be honest, I think somewhere around 75% of people do the bare minimum, and ARE able to accomplish the task, they just don't bother.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:55 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,237
Received 1,220 Likes on 625 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I've been reading threads about merchants, railroads, contractors, realtors, nursing homes, etc...

And it really begs to ask:

Do you think people, for the most part do the absolute bare minimum or do most people try their hardest at everything they do and simply are not equip to the most simplest of tasks?

Part of me thinks people are just lazy and don't care -- mostly because I don't want to believe that people - as a species - can really be THAT stupid.

But the more I see people at green lights on their phone, or too stupid to know how to spell "Salad" or all the other amazingly simple things that just leave me wondering...

What are your thoughts?

Are we a bare-minimum population, or are we just that stupid?

Have you ever considered that nobody writes articles about people that aren't lazy, or people that do care?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 4,621
Received 1,959 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Default

I think the old adage, "pay them just enough so they don't quit, work just enough so you don't get fired" has a grain of truth in it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
Have you ever considered that nobody writes articles about people that aren't lazy, or people that do care?
Can I get a translation, please?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: greenville s.c.
Posts: 1,620
Received 480 Likes on 270 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I don't know... I think you can say if generally people will do something or not.

For example, I see you trip and fall in the street and you can't get up. I think 99% of people will run to you and help you get up.

Or... I see $100 fall out of your pocket, I think 99% of people won't say anything and keep the $100 (I did this exact thing outside a bagel store once... the bitch thought I stole the $100 from her pocket, it was a nasty experience.)

So... I disagree, I think people CAN be lumped on things like this.

...and I'll be honest, I think somewhere around 75% of people do the bare minimum, and ARE able to accomplish the task, they just don't bother.
You honestly believe that 99 out of 100 that saw someone drop $100 would keep it ???
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,237
Received 1,220 Likes on 625 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Can I get a translation, please?
You wrote:

"I've been reading threads about merchants, railroads, contractors, realtors, nursing homes, etc..."

Nobody bitches about normal people, that's why you don't see threads about them.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by reelin in the keys View Post
You honestly believe that 99 out of 100 that saw someone drop $100 would keep it ???
I don't know... what do you think the number is?...
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,237
Received 1,220 Likes on 625 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by reelin in the keys View Post
You honestly believe that 99 out of 100 that saw someone drop $100 would keep it ???
You can take a man out of Jersey but you can't take the Jersey out of a man.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
You wrote:

"I've been reading threads about merchants, railroads, contractors, realtors, nursing homes, etc..."

Nobody bitches about normal people, that's why you don't see threads about them.
That's not true. I praise the good all the time...

But I'll agree that people will jump on a bash-thread sooner than a praise-thread.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
BostonWhalerSeaHunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Durham/Indian Beach NC
Posts: 1,537
Received 248 Likes on 152 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post

Or... I see $100 fall out of your pocket, I think 99% of people won't say anything and keep the $100 (I did this exact thing outside a bagel store once... the bitch thought I stole the $100 from her pocket, it was a nasty experience.)
You're a POS if you see money fall out of someone's pocket and you keep it. I think the number is more around 20%.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:09 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BostonWhalerSeaHunt View Post
You're a POS if you see money fall out of someone's pocket and you keep it. I think the number is more around 20%.
I agree 100%... but I don't think it is anywhere NEAR 20%. I think far greater than half would keep it.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,531
Likes: 0
Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts
Default

I can only use my circle of family and friends, not random strangers I don't know... if 100 of my family members and friends saw someone drop $100, I would be shocked if more than 5 DIDN'T give it back. I am confident more than 90 of them would have given it back. I can think of a few who might entertain keeping it... but even they I could see giving it back. I also do not believe they do the "bare minimum" to get by. They all strive to do their best, be successful, and none of them slack off because they can. Again basing this off people I know, not internet stories I read (which probably have a "side" being written from).

Last edited by IMPLiberty; 02-05-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:11 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 91
Received 795 Likes on 347 Posts
Default

For every 100 invoices that go out, the one guy who doesn’t pay or is super late is the one I spend most of my time worrying about.

90% of my stress is from 1% of the population.

But you are probably noticing what the phone-in-the-face generation is generating—- a socially inadequate population that is increasingly reliant on technology to correct simple spelling or automate tasks that used to require thoughts or hand-eye coordination.

It’s a societal disease, and it’s not getting better any time soon.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:12 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 25,530
Received 5,508 Likes on 3,521 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
I don't know... I think you can say if generally people will do something or not.

For example, I see you trip and fall in the street and you can't get up. I think 99% of people will run to you and help you get up.

Or... I see $100 fall out of your pocket, I think 99% of people won't say anything and keep the $100 (I did this exact thing outside a bagel store once... the bitch thought I stole the $100 from her pocket, it was a nasty experience.)

So... I disagree, I think people CAN be lumped on things like this.

...and I'll be honest, I think somewhere around 75% of people do the bare minimum, and ARE able to accomplish the task, they just don't bother.
Pete:

By definition, exactly 50% of the people we meet every day are below average!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 25,530
Received 5,508 Likes on 3,521 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by IMPLiberty View Post
I can only use my circle of family and friends, not random transfers I don't know... if 100 of my family members and friends saw someone drop $100, I would be shocked if more than 5 DIDN'T give it back. I am confident more than 90 of them would have given it back. I can think of a few who might entertain keeping it... but even they I could see giving it back. I also do not believe they do the "bare minimum" to get by. They all strive to do their best, be successful, and none of them slack off because they can. Again basing this off people I know, not internet stories I read (which probably have a "side" being written from).
You are not a true random sampling. There are people outside your circle who not only would NOT return it, they would assume there's more where that came from and rob the rest of it.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by billinstuart View Post
Pete:

By definition, exactly 50% of the people we meet every day are below average!
I know it! ... and I try hard to remember it when dealing with them.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,690
Received 727 Likes on 386 Posts
Default

I wonder what it is about folks from the Northeast always thinking someone is out to get them?


A small percentage of people do the least amount, take the easiest routes always, and will mooch off of anyone.....a small percentage.

Most people are good, you just don't hear about them as often.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 968
Received 971 Likes on 530 Posts
Default

I think that the majority of mankind is both lazy and lacking intelligence. A very high percentage don't want to get involved outside anything from their daily norm. And, I think we as a society are getting lazier and stupider each and every day.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.