The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree114Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 120
Default

If Harvey and Irma had not made landfall, we wouldn't be discussing this nonsense. Only when it makes landfall does it give the AGW crowd fodder for their un-proveable theory.
ebbtideandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRudy View Post
Rhetorical but, hurricanes existed long before the automobile and the industrial age. Betting they'll still blow ashore long after we're gone.
It is all rhetorical for sure Rudy, as we can never live long enough to REALLY see results one way or the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin308 View Post

So we have no one to blame but ourselves for Irma? This planet has existed for billions of years and gone through multiple catastrophic climate changing events, but human industrialism over the last 100 or so years (a mere blip in time) is now spawning hurricanes? Lol. How does that kool-aid taste?
Spawning hurricanes ? Get someone to read my post to you (and this one) I never said that, exacerbating maybe? That's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC123 View Post
Jersey Shore is a man-made toilet for sure
LA?
Eastport205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentdivincenzo View Post
I like it warmer.I worked in the steel mills in Chiraq ,Il.It was -22 ,and that was before there was a wind chill factor measeurement.
The winds 15 stories up the catwalk would blow 20 mph or more,,and I was wet IT WAS COLD.
IT sucked all for $7hr.
I like heat,Heat is GOOD,Man needs Heat,
Carry on
All the best!
Vinnie
p.s. Mornin East how are ya brother? .
Vinnie, I'm doing great my friend having a great day to top a great week with family and friends, I hope you're doing good as well
Eastport205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #44
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Perry, Fl
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichtion View Post
100% bullshit.

That beats your 97%
Daddy also used to say, You can lead a deaf blind horse to water but you can't make
that's sob drink, so never argue with ignorance.

Whatever that means I've never quite understood it..
TrueGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #45
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrain View Post
Under the circumstance I think it's pretty lousy to blame anyone on these catastrophes.
However, over 97% of climate scientists and 82% of Earth scientists agree that humans are a significant contributing factor to the current global warming. Basically the more expertise a scientist has in climate science, the more likely he is to believe that humans are causing it.
Personally I'm not a scientist so I couldn't tell you, but neither are our leaders and politicians. The statistics seem pretty high and I'm sure that most scientist are accurate in their data.

My dad used to say: Science has given us cell phones, put men on the moon and rovers on mars, but politics and greed is what set path for the dark ages so long ago.

I'm more of a science man myself and certainly don't trust anyone in Washington getting million dollar contributions from oil, fossil fuel and tobacco companies.
Go ahead my financial contributors dump all the pollution you want in the atmosphere. I'll just tell my constituents that global warming isn't real..
You know the 97% consensus representation has been thoroughly and credibly debunked over and over? If you are going to argue your points, please try to get your facts straight! If you have a cause you are not advancing it with this.
Inlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #46
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlander View Post
You know the 97% consensus representation has been thoroughly and credibly debunked over and over? If you are going to argue your points, please try to get your facts straight! If you have a cause you are not advancing it with this.
Ok, I'm usually wanting to learn the facts. I wasn't aware of this, but what would the correct percentage figure be please, if you have heard that.
Koocanusa Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #47
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Perry, Fl
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlander View Post
You know the 97% consensus representation has been thoroughly and credibly debunked over and over? If you are going to argue your points, please try to get your facts straight! If you have a cause you are not advancing it with this.
I have the same question. The 97% consensus obviously was not credibly debunked enough to be change. Just because a handful of people say it's not accurate does not make for a credible debunk.
TrueGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #48
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,625
Default

http://blog.heartland.org/2014/06/th...ate-change-97/

Originally from WSJ


Joseph Bast & Roy Spencer

Mr. Bast is president of the Heartland Institute. Dr. Spencer is a principal research scientist for the University of Alabama in Huntsville and the U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer on NASA's Aqua satellite.
My Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #49
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 95
Default

Climate change is a normal cycle of the earth. Nothing we do or change will stop it. Trying to control it is minuscule compared to doing nothing.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusbob View Post
Not this shit again (face in hands)
Did I miss the "Harvey and climate change thread"?
TrueGrain likes this.
louiefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #51
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,047
Default

Google 97 % climate change and you will get a ton of returns. There are many deficiencies in the claim starting with what is it exactly that 97% agree? Who is that agrees 97%? Few of those queried were climate scientists. Review the methodology of those conducted the study and readily see for yourself the questions. For example there was no connection with the tally of responses that linked climate change to human cause which is at the heart of the controversy. Read about those who conducted the purported study and see for yourself there is no science in the methodology or the results. By any standard it is junk and not worthy of any conclusions. If you want to use the study to promote your point of view at least draw very specific conclusions and disclose the study weakness when doing do. Citing 97% as a general statement is false and reveals a lack of seriousness and scientific method by its advocates.
Inlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #52
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Perry, Fl
Posts: 201
Default

Here it is.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surv...climate_change
TrueGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #53
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,546
Default

There is a name for real scientists who forecast weather and climate, it's a profession that's been around for centuries. They're called meteorologists. Many are skeptical of the climate scientists and their models. Almost all will tell you that there is no connection between 'extreme weather' and climate change. Well I take that back, most probably will refrain from weighing in for fear of being labeled a 'denier'
CONCHY CRACKER and TrueGrain like this.
dell30rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #54
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Perry, Fl
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Climate change is a normal cycle of the earth. Nothing we do or change will stop it. Trying to control it is minuscule compared to doing nothing.
Probably verry true, I certainly don't believe that hurricanes would be caused by our foot print.
IMO right or wrong, I believe continually dumping into our atmosphere will eventually affect its protection. But that's just my thoughts
TrueGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #55
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrain View Post
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2016/04/meteorologists_and_regular_people_still_aren_t_sur e_humans_cause_climate.html

Quote:
That new survey found just 29 percent of AMS members agreed with the stricter wording of the scientific consensus that climate change has been caused “largely or entirely by human activity.” This intense skepticism is worrying: Some of these meteorologists have big audiences that trust them for life-and-death advice during extreme weather.
TrueGrain likes this.
dell30rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #56
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrain View Post
Probably verry true, I certainly don't believe that hurricanes would be caused by our foot print.
IMO right or wrong, I believe continually dumping into our atmosphere will eventually affect its protection. But that's just my thoughts
Dumping what? It's all about what you read and what's behind the greedy people making money from it and who they pay to put that crap out there. Like R22 refrigerant going up 500% and these same people said was safe a few years ago. Now its has ozone depleting properties.

Be very careful believing anything you read on Google, main stream news or Facebook. There goal is to control your mind and alter what you believe.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #57
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vining and Thunderbolt, GA
Posts: 12,156
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrain View Post
I have the same question. The 97% consensus obviously was not credibly debunked enough to be change. Just because a handful of people say it's not accurate does not make for a credible debunk.


I cannot believe people still spew that gibberish. A fictitious 97% consensus does not equal science. Good Lord.
CONCHY CRACKER likes this.
Tireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 242
Default

I am not a climate change scientist but I am a scientist. Reading the many papers published about the subject most follow the scientific method. The evidence IMO overwhelmingly supports human activity as a contributing factor in climate change.

For those that say "If you can't give an exact percentage then how do you know it's not 0%?" That's just stupidity. If I put a gash in my boat that's causing a leak of water in the hull I can't tell what % that actually is vs. other factors but it's obvious it's happening. Same concept.

Here, let's look at information from an actually scientific institution, you know the ones that used science to put people on the moon, to give you GPS, etc.
https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

Oh, a > 95% chance "that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth's temperatures over the past 50 years."

This is not science but is a "spiffy chart". Although not evidence it should make you think about "wow, since there has been internal combustion engines and industrialization the climate change spike sure looks WAY WAY different!

Now the hurricanes, we don't know enough about climate change to state that hurricane activity is going to increase, decrease, etc. It's likely believed that they will be more intense when they do happen but we just don't know for sure.
https://xkcd.com/1732/

For those that deny it's happening, can you show me anything but some stupid "correlation is not causation" chart? I want an actual scientific paper to read.

The evidence:
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
krabill, Eastport205 and TrueGrain like this.

Last edited by mstang1988; 09-08-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Adding hurricane and nasa info.
mstang1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #59
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
John_Madison CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Old Lyme, CT
Posts: 12,385
Default

I'm a Scientist myself. Not a Climate Scientist, but a trained Scientist nonetheless. I know that much of scientific research is all about research dollars.

The more people insist about something and skew their data to maintain a narrative, the more money that flows in.

There's a crap load of money is this topic and in order to maintain it you need to build a case to keep the money flowing.

Notice how any argument to question a climate scientist is followed by immediate attack, labelling and cries of heresy..........................they are afraid of the counter-point. This only happens with Climate science. You can do it with physics, chemistry, biology, etc..........and a scientist will gladly support their case with data and counter your theory. Never with Climate Science................in no time you are called a "Denier".
BOOMER and CONCHY CRACKER like this.
John_Madison CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #60
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Perry, Fl
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstang1988 View Post
I am not a climate change scientist but I am a scientist. Reading the many papers published about the subject most follow the scientific method. The evidence IMO overwhelmingly supports human activity as a contributing factor in climate change.

For those that say "If you can't give an exact percentage then how do you know it's not 0%?" That's just stupidity. If I put a gash in my boat that's causing a leak of water in the hull I can't tell what % that actually is vs. other factors but it's obvious it's happening. Same concept.

Here, let's look at information from an actually scientific institution, you know the ones that used science to put people on the moon, to give you GPS, etc.
https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

Oh, a > 95% chance "that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth's temperatures over the past 50 years."

This is not science but is a "spiffy chart". Although not evidence it should make you think about "wow, since there has been internal combustion engines and industrialization the climate change spike sure looks WAY WAY different!

Now the hurricanes, we don't know enough about climate change to state that hurricane activity is going to increase, decrease, etc. It's likely believed that they will be more intense when they do happen but we just don't know for sure.
https://xkcd.com/1732/

For those that deny it's happening, can you show me anything but some stupid "correlation is not causation" chart? I want an actual scientific paper to read.

The evidence:
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Thank you! Great read.
TrueGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.