Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

How to fill channel/gap in asphalt driveway.

Notices

How to fill channel/gap in asphalt driveway.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:14 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default How to fill channel/gap in asphalt driveway.

I had to run conduit from my garage to one of my out buildings and now I need to fill in the 2"W x 3"D channel. I have purchased 4 different products and none of them worked like I hoped they would.

Cold patch is to stiff to get down into the narrow gaps so it's not going to work. In the picture the stuff in the middle and to the right didn't work, I filled to the top of the driveway but the stuff shrunk down to about 1/2 from what I filled. The stuff on the left worked the best but it looks like crap because it's almost impossible to get it flat and stay that way.

Does anyone know of a product that would work the best to fill in this channel? Or is there a procedure that I should be doing to fill it?;?
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2017, 04:29 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 4,077
Received 1,183 Likes on 539 Posts
Default

This will work well...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-...8500/100318529
Old 09-02-2017, 04:29 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 3,690
Received 1,653 Likes on 751 Posts
Default

5200???













Old 09-02-2017, 04:32 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,717
Received 1,194 Likes on 626 Posts
Default

I have tried them all and they fail quickly. Only thing that works is hot tar or melted strips. You can but tar trips you push in the slot then melt it with a propane brush torch.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:42 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skibum View Post
It's cheap enough that I could give it a try. I need something that is black so I will have to see if they make it in black.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 698
Received 362 Likes on 184 Posts
Default

I used concrete patch mix that I got at Lowe's .
A friend of mine stored his car in my driveway for a month
and it leaked transmission fluid.
The blacktop wasn't that old and had no sealer on it, the trans fluid ate right through and
when I washed it out with the garden hose there was a 4" round hole. The concrete mix patched it nicely and then I had the whole driveway sealed.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:44 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duke460 View Post
I have tried them all and they fail quickly. Only thing that works is hot tar or melted strips. You can but tar trips you push in the slot then melt it with a propane brush torch.
That's what I was afraid of that none of them would work. I wouldn't mind trying the melt method. I found the strips on HD.com

I never heard of the stuff, thanks!
Old 09-02-2017, 05:06 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,355
Likes: 0
Received 633 Likes on 397 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
It's cheap enough that I could give it a try. I need something that is black so I will have to see if they make it in black.
Buy some black tile grout and mix with the quikcrete.

I bet the trowel grade stuff in you first post would work lots better if heated. Put it in a metal bucket and get it 150 degrees or so and I bet it is much easier to work with.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:17 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,986
Received 2,167 Likes on 771 Posts
Default

They sell a cold tar patch material in a bag, trowel that in, tamp down and then re- seal the driveway

http://www.nacsupply.com/crack-filli...CABEgK7rvD_BwE

https://www.consumerreports.org/home...iveway-repair/
Old 09-02-2017, 05:26 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 4,321
Received 1,132 Likes on 615 Posts
Default

Come on, this is THT. This calls for complete driveway replacement. Dig it all out about 25 inches down.
15 inches of base, drainage system, triple compacted and 10 inches of asphalt applied in two 5 inch applications, crowned, sealed, striped, reflective markers installed.

That should do it.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:33 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 594
Received 220 Likes on 129 Posts
Default

Pricey but very effective and holds up pretty much as well as true asphalt paving. I've used it commercially for a few years now.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...5-bf3da2f3fdc4
Old 09-02-2017, 05:57 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikee332 View Post
They sell a cold tar patch material in a bag, trowel that in, tamp down and then re- seal the driveway

http://www.nacsupply.com/crack-filli...CABEgK7rvD_BwE

https://www.consumerreports.org/home...iveway-repair/
I mentioned that cold fill didn't work, I couldn't get it into the narrow spot between the conduit and the side of the trench. I could probably make it work but it would take way to much time and effort and it won't hold up long term. I know that because I used this cold patch on another part of my driveway and it lasted about 1 year.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:00 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duckfish View Post
Pricey but very effective and holds up pretty much as well as true asphalt paving. I've used it commercially for a few years now.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...5-bf3da2f3fdc4
Never heard of this stuff, the reviews on it are really good. It's only expensive if it doesn't work, I don't mind spending money if it will work and not come out in a year.

Thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:08 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 594
Received 220 Likes on 129 Posts
Default

I've used it to patch minor paving cuts for various reasons & fix damage repairs to streets we paved in residential developments and municipal roads. So far all have held up, even thru winter and snow plowing.

Make sure you get the appropriate mix for the extent of your patch and compact it properly.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,013
Received 787 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

http://www.gastechnology.org/Experti...nce-manual.pdf

Russ, check this out. This is what we use to restore asphalt cores for gas leak repairs. Works great. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:13 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duckfish View Post
I've used it to patch minor paving cuts for various reasons & fix damage repairs to streets we paved in residential developments and municipal roads. So far all have held up, even thru winter and snow plowing.

Make sure you get the appropriate mix for the extent of your patch and compact it properly.
Which product are you referring to?
Old 09-02-2017, 08:17 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,961
Received 1,849 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sharktripper View Post
http://www.gastechnology.org/Experti...nce-manual.pdf

Russ, check this out. This is what we use to restore asphalt cores for gas leak repairs. Works great. Let me know if you're interested.
This sounds like a great product too. I got a feeling it's REALLY expensive....is it? Can this be purchased at a retail store or is it a professional product? I have a buddy that owns an electrical contractor business so I will see if he has some laying around. If not I'm sure he will be able to order it.

To answer your question....yes I'm interested.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Island Spearo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: James island SC
Posts: 377
Likes: 0
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Default

(if you have a truck or trailer) Just go to the local asphalt plant, buy one ton of asphalt or less, fill the cut to one inch above the original surface height, compact with a hand tamp and you are done... Less than a two hundred bucks if have to buy the tamp and including your fuel.

Option two is cut it wider and use bag concrete to make a foundation and place bricks in a even row. Maybe add a second or third row in other areas to tie together the look.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:19 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,013
Received 787 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
This sounds like a great product too. I got a feeling it's REALLY expensive....is it? Can this be purchased at a retail store or is it a professional product? I have a buddy that owns an electrical contractor business so I will see if he has some laying around. If not I'm sure he will be able to order it.

To answer your question....yes I'm interested.
How wide is the driveway?
To answer your questions; it's very expensive, I have no idea if you can buy it through retailers. However, I may be able to help you for the cost of shipping.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Carolina Beach/Charlotte/Lake Wylie
Posts: 1,525
Received 190 Likes on 114 Posts
Default

Russ, you need a patch that won't let water get around it. Melting those tar strips may be your best bet.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.