Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Nurse arrested for doing her job

Notices
Like Tree254Likes

Nurse arrested for doing her job

Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 PM
  #401  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,827
Default

Originally Posted by nicecast View Post
Demotion to officer is wayyy too lenient for the Lt. His smug disregard for due process and patronizing treatment of the nurse are in many ways worse than the detective's actions.
The Lt. is more responsible in my eyes and should have been fired first...He is supposed to stop any possible false arrests..
tprice, Milehog and nicecast like this.
Cracker is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:14 PM
  #402  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,139
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Love you but many civilians don't have the experience or training to be qualified to make career judgements on these issues..

I am not qualified to judge things in business, trade work etc.

Many of our incidents require people that are both familiar with general orders, response to resistance and basic police procedures and knowledge of police training... I don't know how you can judge others without this extensive knowledge..
I'm kinda on the fence on that one. I can understand the "you don't know what it's like" side, but I also know that if I'm ever on trial, the jury won't be people with experience or training. They'll be regular old average people. What if I was accused of insider trading? Wouldn't I want other businessmen/women on the jury, rather than a police officer? Would the businessmen maybe think "I don't do it, but I've seen colleagues do it"?

I'm not sure if a review by police officers would be more lenient "I know what it's like" or if it would be more harsh "You should have known better" than what they'd get from civilians.

Please take this in the manner in which it was intended. I mean no disrespect.

In terms of the timing, I'd rather they investigated and took a month (like they did) to get all of the facts, rather than a kneejerk reaction and fire him on the spot.
jobowker is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:40 PM
  #403  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Love you but many civilians don't have the experience or training to be qualified to make career judgements on these issues..

I am not qualified to judge things in business, trade work etc.

Many of our incidents require people that are both familiar with general orders, response to resistance and basic police procedures and knowledge of police training... I don't know how you can judge others without this extensive knowledge..

All police department should have a strong and independent civilian review board.
The criminals are incapable of policing themselves. and the police are reluctant to objectively police themselves.
The nobody understand cops but other cops is the oldest song in the book, and lacks objectivity, as reflected by your opinions.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:09 PM
  #404  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,827
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
All police department should have a strong and independent civilian review board.
The criminals are incapable of policing themselves. and the police are reluctant to objectively police themselves.
The nobody understand cops but other cops is the oldest song in the book, and lacks objectivity, as reflected by your opinions.
And your comments are exactly why civilian reviews are not fair.

Reviews are NOT used in criminal decisions the idea to charge is up to a state attorney or DA.

I have actually been at a police review for a shooting and been to others. It was all administrators, no civilians and numerous TV cameras (from news stations) rolling. It was open to the victim's family and the news, it is a totally open process... They asked hard and harsh questions and in all honesty questions that did not need asking as my shooting was clear cut as a man confronted me and my partner in a front yard with an SKS...Clear cut self defense and justified homicide.

You have this view that a police review done by police personnel is easy, it is not. There is no Bullshiting those people as most have the training and at least some street experience. A few administrators will use it has a pulpit to advance their own personal career but most are fair which doesn't mean slanted for the officer.

I have some faith in most police administrators but I fear a civilian review would expose officers to civilians with anti police agendas...

While you have a right to an opinion, mine is at least based on experience and don't think I want some POS as a cop anymore than you do. I don't want to be drug into anything shady as once they lie, steal or whatever it will continue..

I also have experienced a true corrupt cop and tried to get him in numerous ways fired. When I say corrupt he manufactured evidence, concealed exculpatory evidence and even LIED in depositions about a ton of stuff.. Still waiting for action, so don't think I have not walked the walk..


A civilian also would not know what questions to even ask or if the answer is correct or not..


I
Milehog likes this.
Cracker is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:02 AM
  #405  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Love you but many civilians don't have the experience or training to be qualified to make career judgements on these issues..

I am not qualified to judge things in business, trade work etc.

Many of our incidents require people that are both familiar with general orders, response to resistance and basic police procedures and knowledge of police training... I don't know how you can judge others without this extensive knowledge..
I do not agree with civilian review totally independent of officer / administration involvement but do think having people from the community involved is important not only for the process but for the appearance of the process.

I think you would be a valuable voice in any business review / oversight body..... You know that in your investigations, sometimes starting out with the wrong questions leads you to the right answers.... I think outside opinions can be invaluable.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 AM
  #406  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA - Manteo, NC
Posts: 790
Default

Good, he should loose his pension also. Maybe he will once the civil suite runs its coarse. I hope she sues the crap out of the city and him personally. His firing took entirely to long.

The Lt. should have been fired as well at a minimum. Now he is an "officer". What does that mean, now he can harass citizens on the street instead of behind a desk? Good plan.....
pmichael is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 AM
  #407  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
Good, he should loose his pension also. Maybe he will once the civil suite runs its coarse. I hope she sues the crap out of the city and him personally. His firing took entirely to long.

The Lt. should have been fired as well at a minimum. Now he is an "officer". What does that mean, now he can harass citizens on the street instead of behind a desk? Good plan.....
If you had a long successful (or uneventful) career and made one bad decision, should you lose your pension?

Not argumentative, just curious because I have mixed feelings about it.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 AM
  #408  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 3,741
Default

Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
Good, he should loose his pension also. Maybe he will once the civil suite runs its coarse. I hope she sues the crap out of the city and him personally. His firing took entirely to long.

The Lt. should have been fired as well at a minimum. Now he is an "officer". What does that mean, now he can harass citizens on the street instead of behind a desk? Good plan.....
Originally Posted by BlueRudy View Post
If you had a long successful (or uneventful) career and made one bad decision, should you lose your pension?

Not argumentative, just curious because I have mixed feelings about it.
If based on previous situations and retirements, he'll receive his benefits based on the LT service and rank.

Last edited by round2it; 10-11-2017 at 04:52 AM.
round2it is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 AM
  #409  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pompano Beach, FL, USA
Posts: 4,917
Default

Cracker - I respect your opinion and appreciate the advice you have given me in the past. But this really hits a nerve with me.

This was not the case of a cop making a spit second life or death decision in the street. In those situations my gut is to me extremely lenient on a cop. For that, yes, I do not know what it is like.

This was a situation that happened in a controlled environment. There were medical professionals and police in a hospital with no subject at large. In my eyes, this is an extreme abuse of powers.

So great, under public pressure, he is fired. Is that enough?

Is it a crime for a cop to make a blatantly wrongful arrest?

How about the attempt to unlawfully gather the blood?

In order to attempt to "pin" something on the innocent truck driver?

All in order to cover up other possible police wrongdoing(the chase)?

Were laws broken and should these police officers be charged?

Last edited by ndb8fxe; 10-11-2017 at 06:20 AM.
ndb8fxe is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:44 AM
  #410  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA - Manteo, NC
Posts: 790
Default

Originally Posted by BlueRudy View Post
If you had a long successful (or uneventful) career and made one bad decision, should you lose your pension?

Not argumentative, just curious because I have mixed feelings about it.
If he did have a long successful or uneventful career, then probably not, but he has had some issues previously, I believe a sexual harassment issue as well? So I am on the fence with regard to loosing it through the department. Although, that would be a pretty powerful statement by the department to the others LEO's to control yourself. Not sure how the pension thing works when your fired for cause, if he received a lower payout because he was fired and demoted to a lower rank and the pension was based on his rank at termination, then I would be ok with that.

Having said that, yes, I hope he looses it through a civil suite. He assaulted the nurse, no doubt it. He lost his cool and assaulted her. So yeah, I hope she crushes him.

As I have said earlier in this thread, I am pretty emotional about this as my wife is an RN in a hospital. If that would have happened to her, it would have been very, very, very hard for me to control my temper and not break that clowns knees.
pmichael is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 AM
  #411  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
If he did have a long successful or uneventful career, then probably not, but he has had some issues previously, I believe a sexual harassment issue as well? So I am on the fence with regard to loosing it through the department. Although, that would be a pretty powerful statement by the department to the others LEO's to control yourself. Not sure how the pension thing works when your fired for cause, if he received a lower payout because he was fired and demoted to a lower rank and the pension was based on his rank at termination, then I would be ok with that.

Having said that, yes, I hope he looses it through a civil suite. He assaulted the nurse, no doubt it. He lost his cool and assaulted her. So yeah, I hope she crushes him.

As I have said earlier in this thread, I am pretty emotional about this as my wife is an RN in a hospital. If that would have happened to her, it would have been very, very, very hard for me to control my temper and not break that clowns knees.
Food for thought.... Thanks
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 AM
  #412  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by mhedrick View Post
No doubt about it but it doesn't always end this way.

Glad to see this guy off the streets.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:30 AM
  #413  
KJS
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where I go, there I am
Posts: 16,765
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
No doubt about it but it doesn't always end this way.

Glad to see this guy off the streets.
Agreed most of the time these guys just move to another dept and get hired though. He will likely be back at it in a matter of weeks.
KJS is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:41 AM
  #414  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 435
Default

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/10...epartment.html
Paisito is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:00 AM
  #415  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,417
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
...
I also have experienced a true corrupt cop and tried to get him in numerous ways fired. When I say corrupt he manufactured evidence, concealed exculpatory evidence and even LIED in depositions about a ton of stuff.. Still waiting for action, so don't think I have not walked the walk..
...

I
Mr. Cracker...I have read your references to this for years now.
Are you frustrated by the lack of action yet?
Is the officer in question still "active"?
chrispnet is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:30 AM
  #416  
Senior Member
 
trimnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,242
Default

There were more than one victim here.

The truck driver ends up hurts bad (or dead? Any updates?) due to negligent and illegal behavior from overzealous cops and keep breaking laws to cover it. An assumption but the facts lead me to this conclusion.

This was a team effort and says a lot about the blue line culture. There were a bunch of cops there.

I’ve been labeled anti cop before here which I’m not. But I have been the victim of rude and unfair treatment by Leo. I am not a criminal, if I break a traffic law give me a ticket and move on. No need to unload your power trip on me.

I have also extended the curtesy of a warning when I clearly deserve a ticket. So it works both ways.

But to say no one understands is wrong. Every job and profession has rules and consequences.

Cops make judgment calls in every interaction with civilians. Why can civilians do the same?

I can tell in minutes if the cop is doing his job or just harassing.
trimnyc is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 AM
  #417  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,156
Default

The truck driver perished.
Milehog is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 AM
  #418  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

Originally Posted by trimnyc View Post
There were more than one victim here.

The truck driver ends up hurts bad (or dead? Any updates?) due to negligent and illegal behavior from overzealous cops and keep breaking laws to cover it. An assumption but the facts lead me to this conclusion.

This was a team effort and says a lot about the blue line culture. There were a bunch of cops there.

I’ve been labeled anti cop before here which I’m not. But I have been the victim of rude and unfair treatment by Leo. I am not a criminal, if I break a traffic law give me a ticket and move on. No need to unload your power trip on me.

I have also extended the curtesy of a warning when I clearly deserve a ticket. So it works both ways.

But to say no one understands is wrong. Every job and profession has rules and consequences.

Cops make judgment calls in every interaction with civilians. Why can civilians do the same?

I can tell in minutes if the cop is doing his job or just harassing.
I'm gonna go with its a good assumption....

Last edited by BlueRudy; 10-11-2017 at 07:29 AM.
BlueRudy is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM
  #419  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,382
Default

Even if the cop was 100% certain the nurse was breaking the law, why did he feel like she had to be arrested at that moment? Taking the charge nurse out of the emergency room can have serious negative consequences. It's not like she was a threat to others or a flight risk.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 07:31 AM
  #420  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 11,200
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Even if the cop was 100% certain the nurse was breaking the law, why did he feel like she had to be arrested at that moment? Taking the charge nurse out of the emergency room can have serious negative consequences. It's not like she was a threat to others or a flight risk.
My guess....
A: It was an attempt to intimidate her into giving him what he wanted
AND
B: He lost his schit when she didn't.
BlueRudy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread