Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

What does getting an "A" mean these days?

Notices

What does getting an "A" mean these days?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,439
Received 268 Likes on 143 Posts
Default What does getting an "A" mean these days?

So I was talking to a neighbors kid going to grade 12. Just small talk, school and stuff starting up. He tells me about 2/3 of his class is getting straight A's and corresponding to that, over 2/3 of his grade is on the first class honor roll which is 85% average and higher.

What is going on here? Are kids just way smarter than before? When I was in high school, I don't remember ore than 2 or 3 people in my grade LEVEL getting straight A's. I remember most of us got Merit and only 4-5% made the honor roll.

What does an "A" mean these days?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,626
Likes: 0
Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts
Default

Just showing up mostly.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 488 Likes on 261 Posts
Default

I can assure you that is not common. The kids I know say that you have to date the teacher to get an A these days.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Likes: 0
Received 781 Likes on 496 Posts
Default

They need to reevaluate there curriculum and make some adjustments it is to easy
Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,223
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts
Default

At the beginning of a semester it is realistic to have 90% of the class with A's. Believe me that number will drop considerably as the semester wears on. Also, I let my students know that their grade in class is not nearly as important as their score on the (Insert whichever state wide assessment here). That is the score for which they will be judged the most heavily.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,941
Received 1,813 Likes on 809 Posts
Default

I always feel bad for the kids with A's. They are not getting challenged. When my son was in 5th (maybe 6th) grade, he got high honors. I set up a meeting with his teachers to talk about his grades. they started defending his B. I had to put the brakes on and say he wasn't be challenged and I would like to see him struggling a little and getting C's. They flat out said he he was in the wrong school for that. Sent him to another school, oh boy did we find C's!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:39 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,749
Likes: 0
Received 653 Likes on 359 Posts
Default

When you said 85% and higher, did you mean that an, "A", now starts at 85%? In my day, that was the lowest "B" you could get....93% was an "A".

Do different schools or districts have different percentages for grading purposes?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:42 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

My Girlfriends 12 year old son came home after 3 days of 7th grade and told us he was positive that he was in a special needs math class. He is a little cocky so we didn't give it a lot of thought.

2 days later a counselor called and confirmed he was is the lowest level and should be in the highest.

She suggested we could leave him where he was for an easy A for him.

Strange
Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,439
Received 268 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

I don't know but when I was in school, an 86% was considered an "A"

Lets say this is not true, and its only half the class getting straight A's, what does that mean? I just don't see how even half the class can get all "As" ... Are kids really that smart these days? I somehow don't think so. Are they all going to be doctors and professors??
Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,223
Received 433 Likes on 202 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Danny33486 View Post
My Girlfriends 12 year old son came home after 3 days of 7th grade and told us he was positive that he was in a special needs math class. He is a little cocky so we didn't give it a lot of thought.

2 days later a counselor called and confirmed he was is the lowest level and should be in the highest.

She suggested we could leave him where he was for an easy A for him.

Strange
Said "counselor" should be removed from position ASAP. That would drive me over the edge.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 8,550
Received 990 Likes on 550 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by makonnen View Post
I don't know but when I was in school, an 86% was considered an "A"

Lets say this is not true, and its only half the class getting straight A's, what does that mean? I just don't see how even half the class can get all "As" ... Are kids really that smart these days? I somehow don't think so. Are they all going to be doctors and professors??
an 86 was an "A"......are you kidding me! When I was in school a 74 was an "F"!
A 100-95
B 94-89
C 88-82
D 81-75

My 3rd son got straight "A"s as a freshman last year. His 2 older brothers struggled to get B and C's in the same school system. Some kids are just smart, or work harder. My youngest is the type to come home and get his homework knocked out so he can go outside and play without worrying about getting the work done (didn't get that from me!)

He's starting 10th grade next week and completely on his own went the counselors end of last year wanting to take several college level courses this year. They won't allow 10th grades to do that but put him in all AP/IB level classes this year so he can take 4 college level courses in 11th grade!


What we've found is the type of area you live in is often dictated by the type of parents that live there. Extra-curricular activities and high grade expectations are widespread in our school district and the kids have to live up to what's expected of them! We end up with a fairly high number of honor roll students compared to some surrounding communities who are in the same county/same curriculum. We actually sought out this specific school when house shopping years ago because of that reputation and paid more for our home because of this!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:48 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,439
Received 268 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by on deck View Post
Said "counselor" should be removed from position ASAP. That would drive me over the edge.
That is so sad.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:52 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,439
Received 268 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
an 86 was an "A"......are you kidding me! When I was in school a 74 was an "F"!
A 100-95
B 94-89
C 88-82
D 81-75

My 3rd son got straight "A"s as a freshman last year. His 2 older brothers struggled to get B and C's in the same school system. Some kids are just smart, or work harder. My youngest is the type to come home and get his homework knocked out so he can go outside and play without worrying about getting the work done (didn't get that from me!)

He's starting 10th grade next week and completely on his own went the counselors end of last year wanting to take several college level courses this year. They won't allow 10th grades to do that but put him in all AP/IB level classes this year so he can take 4 college level courses in 11th grade!


What we've found is the type of area you live in is often dictated by the type of parents that live there. Extra-curricular activities and high grade expectations are widespread in our school district and the kids have to live up to what's expected of them! We end up with a fairly high number of honor roll students compared to some surrounding communities who are in the same county/same curriculum. We actually sought out this specific school when house shopping years ago because of that reputation and paid more for our home because of this!
Yea 86 was an A when I was in high school in the early 80's but hardly anyone scored in that range. WHen I get something back and I score 75% that just means I have more learning to do. I tell you it was only 4 or 5 students that were able to get straight A's and to be honest, they really were a cut above the rest.

But in hindsight, I now feel that these kids just knew how to play the school game better than me. They knew how to study for a test, knew how to find the answers to the worksheet and knew how to please the teacher. Maybe I'm just making excuses.

I just don't see how a school can say that 2/3 or even half the students are all straight-A's. Are they trying to get a higher ranking or something?? What does it mean to get an "A" these days?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,409
Received 812 Likes on 401 Posts
Default

The more important question is how many get Cs and Ds?

C is supposed to be an average grade.

So looking at grades in schools where I have worked in most classes 70+of the kids are above average. Only a few teachers give D's but there are some Fs.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon "where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."
Old 08-31-2017, 12:40 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 2,039
Likes: 0
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts
Default

Just FYI, the average GPA required to get into a decent state school in NC is above a 4.0.... if the kids are not taking AP and honors courses where they get a bump (.5 for honors, 1 for A/P) they are not getting into a decent school no mater how many A's they get. Just sent my oldest to highshool and the transition (or planing for it last year) was eye opening.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:52 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,105
Received 1,238 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

Do they all get trophies too?
Old 08-31-2017, 12:56 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,999
Received 921 Likes on 560 Posts
Default

My kids don't get A's- they get 5's- some kind of crazy measurement they use.

I was a B student. I did Ok.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 PM
  #18  
TTB
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,262
Received 512 Likes on 238 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by makonnen View Post
I just don't see how a school can say that 2/3 or even half the students are all straight-A's. Are they trying to get a higher ranking or something?? What does it mean to get an "A" these days?
It means that 2/3 of the kids have helicopter parents and the school doesn't wanna deal with the bullshit that happens when a parent isn't able to cope with the truth that little Billy or little Susie isn't perfect.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:05 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 3,714
Likes: 0
Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

At my kids school
90 - 100 A
80 - 89 B
I have 3 kids in highschool. My oldest daughter is a senior and struggles some but usually gets around a 3.2 gpa.
School is easy for my son, he remembers things easily and understands most things quickly. With Honor and AP classes he maintains a gpa over a 4.0 without much effort..
My youngest daughter has to work harder than my son but she is more motivated and somewhat of a perfectionist, with effort she is usually close to a 4.0

Anymore, I think it's hard to get into a 4yr university without being close to a 4.0

Based on the work I see them bring home, the subject matter is similar to what I was taught back in school.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,409
Received 812 Likes on 401 Posts
Default

I had to get a 2.0 (C average) to graduate. Of 68 Freshmen Chem Es' 22 graduated in my class in 1970. I graduated with a 2.05 and was class ranked 19 out of 21 so there were 2 below me Went to summer school 3 out of 4 years to make up courses I failed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.