Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Does Tenant Still Have to Pay Rent on Flooded Huose?


Does Tenant Still Have to Pay Rent on Flooded Huose?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 488 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Does Tenant Still Have to Pay Rent on Flooded Huose?

Hypothetical question only. I was just thinking about all the flooded houses in Houston. Does a tenant still have to pay rent on a house that gets flooded by no fault of the landlord?

I suppose the lease could already spell this out, but if not, then what would the court say when the landlord tried to collect back rent a few months from now?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 6,464
Received 2,674 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Saunderstown / Pt Judith, RI
Posts: 2,400
Received 1,299 Likes on 705 Posts

im sure the tenant be out of the dwelling well past the end of the lease so i'd think it's a no issue
Old 08-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,913
Likes: 0
Received 1,696 Likes on 929 Posts

According to TexasLawHelp.org, the law requires your landlord to repair conditions that affect the physical health and safety of ordinary tenants. After it's safe to return, you and your landlord must assess whether a home is habitable. Depending on where you live, local housing laws may hold landlords to higher repair standards. You may be able to terminate your lease depending on the initial terms and the extent of the damage.

However, if you are able to stay in the unit while repairs are being made, you must still pay rent. Landlords may wait till they receive money from property insurance claims to begin repairs.

Landlords are not responsible for loss or damage to your personal belongings. If you have renters insurance or flood insurance, it may cover property damage. If there is a disaster declaration, apply to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) within 60 days of the declaration.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.