Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Minor car accident.. other party's insurance calling me 2 weeks later?

Notices

Minor car accident.. other party's insurance calling me 2 weeks later?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,752
Received 699 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Minor car accident.. other party's insurance calling me 2 weeks later?

Got into a minor parking lot fender bender a few weeks back. We both hit at the same place on our cars, and in the middle of the row backing out of our respective spots. Minor identical damage to both, new bumper cover and new taillight. (Both scratched, not destroyed) No big deal.

I called my ins co, they dealt with it and told me they contacted the other co and everyone agreed it was just one of those things and each co would pay for their client.

My car is already back in my driveway good as new. I've gotten two voicemails in the last few days from the other party's insurance co.

I don't see any particular reason I should be speaking to them at this point although I'm curious why they're calling? I didn't get any indication that my insurance co reached out to the other driver personally, either.

Someone in the know - is there any reason I would or should call them back?
Old 08-27-2017, 02:09 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Surfside Beach, TX, USA
Posts: 2,500
Received 587 Likes on 289 Posts
Default

No. Let your insurance company handle everything.

You're much too busy to listen, educate yourself, and respond appropriately. Seriously, what are they calling you for, and what possible good would come from it. Tell them to please leave a message or deal directly with your good hands people.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:17 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 8,546
Received 988 Likes on 548 Posts
Default

I'd let your insurance company know they are calling and you don't intend on taking their call......and that it was a mutual hit and to NOT pay if they are making a claim.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:18 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

You never, EVER, EEEVVEERR, speak with the "other" insurance company unless you have a J.D. after your name.

In fact, IMHO, you seldom want to speak to your own insurance company unless you have a J.D. after your name... but there are exceptions to that one.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:24 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 22,022
Received 1,596 Likes on 864 Posts
Default

It won't hurt for you to contact them and simply give them your adjusters contact information. Then, let your adjuster know that they will be contacting him/her just to give them the head's up. Then let it go.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:50 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,752
Received 699 Likes on 394 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
It won't hurt for you to contact them and simply give them your adjusters contact information. Then, let your adjuster know that they will be contacting him/her just to give them the head's up. Then let it go.
Everyone's reply above is pretty in line with my thoughts. i got a voicemail from my own adjuster a while back and he indicated that he had spoken to the other co. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a dick about not particularly wanting to call them back. (The voicemails have been comical, I was tempted to call a suicide hotline for the one girl, sounded like she must make the same call 8000 times a day)
Old 08-27-2017, 02:56 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
It won't hurt for you to contact them and simply give them your adjusters contact information. Then, let your adjuster know that they will be contacting him/her just to give them the head's up. Then let it go.
No way.

They're very good at getting people to talk. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:59 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Olympia Ky.
Posts: 2,926
Received 232 Likes on 146 Posts
Default

Nope.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:05 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Claim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 1,189
Received 1,137 Likes on 507 Posts
Default

Someone in the claim process questioned if there was possible subrogation for the at fault vehicle. It could be they want a statement indicating what happened. If their driver was more or equal at fault, they'll close their file and that's that. If they think you were more at fault, they'll send a subrogation letter to your insurance company and that'll be that. Your insurance may agree to liability or deny liability.

I don't think it's a big deal....no harm in taking the call and see what they want. It could be the other driver told them you backed into them and caused the accident....I'd think that not getting that sorted out might let them assume you were at fault.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:07 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,712
Received 498 Likes on 337 Posts
Default

Block the phone number.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:07 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,717
Received 1,194 Likes on 626 Posts
Default

No, no, no, nada
Let your insurance company handle. Easy way to get talked into trouble.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:23 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: coastal tx
Posts: 735
Likes: 0
Received 720 Likes on 447 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Claim View Post
Someone in the claim process questioned if there was possible subrogation for the at fault vehicle. It could be they want a statement indicating what happened. If their driver was more or equal at fault, they'll close their file and that's that. If they think you were more at fault, they'll send a subrogation letter to your insurance company and that'll be that. Your insurance may agree to liability or deny liability.

I don't think it's a big deal....no harm in taking the call and see what they want. It could be the other driver told them you backed into them and caused the accident....I'd think that not getting that sorted out might let them assume you were at fault.
agreed, all they want is what you told each other and agreed on.
without your statement the file/case is still open.

how would you like it if they had a habit of taking one sides statement as the truth and closing the case?
that would leave a lot of people hanging out to dry
Old 08-27-2017, 03:29 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,516
Likes: 0
Received 1,359 Likes on 737 Posts
Default

Me: Hello
Other guy's ins: Blah, blah, blah
Me: Call my insurance company
OGI: Bla(click)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,678
Received 412 Likes on 226 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
Block the phone number.
X2
Old 08-27-2017, 03:58 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,789
Received 2,978 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Default

Move to another town and change your name.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:03 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,522
Received 941 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

My car was in a fender bender, I was not driving.
Other drivers insurance calls me and tells me it is their drivers fault and they will pay to fix my car and gave me a list of shops or I could take it to my own.
Took it to their shop then told them to write me a check.
No fuss, no muss.
Some of you guys are paranoid or don't know how to talk to people.

Answer the phone and make it go away.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:12 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Claim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 1,189
Received 1,137 Likes on 507 Posts
Default

You know what.....the other insurance company adjuster has an open file and all he wants to do is get it closed. He wants your side of the story. Period.

If you ignore him, he'll send letters to you.....they'll might even send someone to knock on your door. If you don't answer, they'll assume you were at fault and your insurance company will pay and hit you with an at fault claim. How is that a win? 2 minute call. Done.

Right now I have an injury claim. Happened a year ago. The phone number the insurance company have has been disconnected. I've been hired to drive to the guy's house and knock on his door and find out what happened.

The insurance company tired the letter thing and the guy ignored them.

The assigning adjuster only wants to know what happened so he can determine if there is any liability. If there liability, they'll pay.....if there isn't....they won't pay liability but will pay med-pay and close his file with a fair and honest settlement.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:46 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,522
Received 941 Likes on 449 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Claim View Post
You know what.....the other insurance company adjuster has an open file and all he wants to do is get it closed. He wants your side of the story. Period.

If you ignore him, he'll send letters to you.....they'll might even send someone to knock on your door. If you don't answer, they'll assume you were at fault and your insurance company will pay and hit you with an at fault claim. How is that a win? 2 minute call. Done.

Right now I have an injury claim. Happened a year ago. The phone number the insurance company have has been disconnected. I've been hired to drive to the guy's house and knock on his door and find out what happened.

The insurance company tired the letter thing and the guy ignored them.

The assigning adjuster only wants to know what happened so he can determine if there is any liability. If there liability, they'll pay.....if there isn't....they won't pay liability but will pay med-pay and close his file with a fair and honest settlement.
Bulls$&t!
They want his first born, every cent he ever made and three DNA samples. Lol

Sorry, just trying to fit in. 😅
Old 08-27-2017, 06:07 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,830
Received 1,007 Likes on 535 Posts
Default

I had a similar issue happen about 5 years ago. A guy hit my truck in a parking lot and put a dent in my bumper. He scratched the entire side of his car.

About 2 weeks after the incident I got a call from his insurance company, I missed the call a couple times and finally called them back. They just wanted to make sure that they could close the case and that I was not planning on pursuing any other personal or property damages. It was a completely benign conversation. I talked to my agent after I had talked to the other agent (he is a family friend) and he said in the no fault situations they call to make sure that there is not anything else that will get filed later.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:08 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 22,022
Received 1,596 Likes on 864 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
No way.

They're very good at getting people to talk. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Re-read my post. No harm in telling them they need to talk to your adjuster and give them your adjuster's contact info. No more, no less. Been in the business for 34 years and don't really see a problem with something that simple. So I guess we have to just agree to disagree. Plus pay attention to the OP. "minor" car accident. Not sure how anybody can get all worked up over that.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.