Notices

VW diesel scandal

Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 16,369
Received 1,367 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Default VW diesel scandal

Update.

Engineer gets 40 months in prison for role although he was not the "mastermind" behind VW's Diesel gate scheme.
Volkswagen plead guilty Friday to conspiracy and obstruction of justice and agreed to pay a $4.3 billion penalty
Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,888
Received 5,893 Likes on 2,761 Posts
Default

Engineers just do what marketing tells us to do.

I mean...them.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,428
Received 1,582 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default

Lots of "fake" in the current environment.

Google, guy behind Obamacare, money, etc...
Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On The Razors Edge
Posts: 10,207
Received 1,212 Likes on 584 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Lots of "fake" in the current environment.

Google, guy behind Obamacare, money, etc...
No doubt. Obamacare makes the VW Emissions thing look like a minor shoplifting case.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:03 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Who gives a crap?? What did VW DO WRONG?? They failed to lay prostrate before the god of political correctness, and for it they have been sacrificed upon his alter. Pathetic.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,582
Received 1,258 Likes on 689 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim henscheli View Post
Who gives a crap?? What did VW DO WRONG?? They failed to lay prostrate before the god of political correctness, and for it they have been sacrificed upon his alter. Pathetic.
They decided to break the law vs add $500 of parts/engineering to their vehicles because doing so would of delayed the launch of the program about a year.

When other manufactures are meeting the regs, adding the cost, seems like they should be punished a bit.

Or maybe just get rid of the laws. Either way is fine with me... but at this point there are laws.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:47 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 281
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Worked well for some, the checks they are writing to owners are high 4 figures in some cases
Old 08-25-2017, 06:53 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,973
Received 3,684 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Default

I remember by brother in law teasing me about how is german engineered TDI didn't need Def like my duramax. He ate about 13k on the paid off TDI and has another five year note. I don't have the heart to give it back to him.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:36 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

I made out great...

Then bought another tdi.

Thanks tree huggers. Lolololol.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,428
Received 1,582 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default

I owned a TDI. Loved the car, but cheating is cheating. This entire world revolves around FAKE
Old 08-26-2017, 04:25 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,580
Received 2,999 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ericinmich View Post
They decided to break the law vs add $500 of parts/engineering to their vehicles because doing so would of delayed the launch of the program about a year.

When other manufactures are meeting the regs, adding the cost, seems like they should be punished a bit.

Or maybe just get rid of the laws. Either way is fine with me... but at this point there are laws.
Does the woody you have against VW ever go away? I didn't know they made a Viagra that keeps it up just for that. Let go man. Yes, VW "cheated"... so what? Drive behind a bus or truck... those things are spewing trash the entire day... not just a short trip to work.

You aren't supposed to lie to people either -- but I still lost my doctors and my health insurance. I don't see you so passionate about that either.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:33 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 515
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jim henscheli View Post
Who gives a crap?? What did VW DO WRONG?? They failed to lay prostrate before the god of political correctness, and for it they have been sacrificed upon his alter. Pathetic.
I'm sure if it was an American company, you would be looking for blood
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pjitty View Post
I'm sure if it was an American company, you would be looking for blood
If it was an American company that went out and intentionally ignored political correctness(climate change) I would have just gone out and bought there product.
As it stands, Germany sucks and I would rather not support there refugee(Islamic theocracy on the way) state.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 AM
  #14  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
John_Madison CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Posts: 14,478
Received 743 Likes on 403 Posts
Default

I made out like a bandit selling my 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI back to VW.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:01 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,888
Received 5,893 Likes on 2,761 Posts
Default

It is what it is. They broke the laws of the United States. Don't really care if they're American or German.

Personally, I think the vendetta our government has against diesel is ridiculous. Yes we need regulations, but they are crippling development and leaving the consumer with unreliable engines. Moreover, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if one of our beloved bailed out American Auto manufacturers would step up to the plate and offer a high tech diesel that is long lasting, reasonably priced, fun to drive, and offered in a proper six speed transmission as so many do overseas.

As it stands, there are pretty much zero small American made economy cars that are worth driving over the Japanese and German counterparts.

I'm all for American manufacturing and supporting the big 2 (and Fiat, I guess), but the fact is there are so much better offerings elsewhere. The closest I guess would be the Focus and Fiesta STs (and RS). Those are just plain bitchin.

I know both Ford and GM have made cool little cars for overseas markets for years, so I guess I really blame the American crossover SUV soccer mom public for not giving the marketing department reason to spend money on that here.

Anyway, at the end of the day I put 50k on my TDI and made a couple grand on it when I sold it back. I'm happy but I miss it.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:23 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,869
Received 632 Likes on 395 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
It is what it is. They broke the laws of the United States. Don't really care if they're American or German.

Personally, I think the vendetta our government has against diesel is ridiculous. Yes we need regulations, but they are crippling development and leaving the consumer with unreliable engines. Moreover, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if one of our beloved bailed out American Auto manufacturers would step up to the plate and offer a high tech diesel that is long lasting, reasonably priced, fun to drive, and offered in a proper six speed transmission as so many do overseas.

As it stands, there are pretty much zero small American made economy cars that are worth driving over the Japanese and German counterparts.

I'm all for American manufacturing and supporting the big 2 (and Fiat, I guess), but the fact is there are so much better offerings elsewhere. The closest I guess would be the Focus and Fiesta STs (and RS). Those are just plain bitchin.

I know both Ford and GM have made cool little cars for overseas markets for years, so I guess I really blame the American crossover SUV soccer mom public for not giving the marketing department reason to spend money on that here.

Anyway, at the end of the day I put 50k on my TDI and made a couple grand on it when I sold it back. I'm happy but I miss it.
Europe has a vendetta against CO2, the US has a vendetta against NOx, I think the US made the better choice. US has far better air quality vs Europe.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:25 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,582
Received 1,258 Likes on 689 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Does the woody you have against VW ever go away? I didn't know they made a Viagra that keeps it up just for that. Let go man. Yes, VW "cheated"... so what? Drive behind a bus or truck... those things are spewing trash the entire day... not just a short trip to work.

You aren't supposed to lie to people either -- but I still lost my doctors and my health insurance. I don't see you so passionate about that either.
Woody, ha no. I was just answering the asked question, what did they do. I'm probably one of the few on THT that has spent a career in auto emissions development and also one of the few that actually has followed how this played out from the college team that discovered the cheating (yes, I read their findings before the gov decided to sue VW and make the issue public). The gov actually gave them a chance to come clean and just recall vehicles for close to a year but after being stonewalled for so long they had no other option.

I'm not after VW, just hate reading things that are so inaccurate and without understanding...
Old 08-26-2017, 06:27 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,582
Received 1,258 Likes on 689 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RyanL11 View Post
Europe has a vendetta against CO2, the US has a vendetta against NOx, I think the US made the better choice. US has far better air quality vs Europe.
You are correct looking back, but EU is actually on board with NOx now as well. CO2 regs are just FE regs, and EU was and is tougher that we are historically, we will see going forward.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:31 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,869
Received 632 Likes on 395 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
Does the woody you have against VW ever go away? I didn't know they made a Viagra that keeps it up just for that. Let go man. Yes, VW "cheated"... so what? Drive behind a bus or truck... those things are spewing trash the entire day... not just a short trip to work.

You aren't supposed to lie to people either -- but I still lost my doctors and my health insurance. I don't see you so passionate about that either.

Talk about hard ons...looks like you have a pretty big one for ericinmich.

Also, what does some old bus/truck spewing trash have to do with anything? New buses and trucks have new regulations just like new cars.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:32 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,888
Received 5,893 Likes on 2,761 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RyanL11 View Post
Europe has a vendetta against CO2, the US has a vendetta against NOx, I think the US made the better choice. US has far better air quality vs Europe.
You're right, Europe's air quality sucks in the cities, but alot of that is attributed to how dense they are.

I will reiterate I absolutely agree we need regulations, lest we end up like China or some parts of Italy. But I also think they were too strict too soon. Gotta have time for the technology to catch up.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.